PDA

View Full Version : High pressure fans for puter

Craig
12-07-2002, 08:03 PM
I've become interested in trying to find and test some Papst diagonal fans. These look at first glance like a reguler axial fan but they have a differant hub configuration. And they produce MUCH higher pressure rates than a axial fan of near the same cfm and noise. They will be a bit louder, but nearly double the pressure rates.

Now the problem I've run into. I can't find them in the US of the proper sizes, (6" or less).

Has anyone here worked with these fans before? Where to get them in the US?

For those who'd like to take a look, go to the german Papst site (english also offered) and just click on the tab for diagonal fans. NOw check the stats of the 127 x 127 x 38 fans and compare with any 120, 127 or even a axial 162 or 172 for comparison.

They are real performers.

felix88
12-08-2002, 12:38 AM
i don't see how these fans work any different than axial fans. different blade design maybe?

as for where to buy them, i'm not sure. have you contacted papst? they may be able to point you towards a supplier in the us.

Craig
12-08-2002, 06:24 PM
A diagonal or sometimes called mixed flow fans (comair calls them mixed flow but only availabe in 8") have a tapered center motor hub much like a airrcraft propeller 's hub. The intake is at the narrow end and as the air moves through the fan it is compressed into a tighter/narrower passage creating the higher pressures (and the slightly higher noise rate).

I've been to the Papst site and followed their link to the north american site, but they don't offer the new diagonal at the NA site yet.:(

I hate to think what shipping would/will be from europe to the US. NOt to mention the currant deplorable exchange rate.

But if all else fails............These fans would be ideal for a heater core, water cooled system I have in mind. And considering the potential for lower temps they may well be worth the extra cost of shipping them over.