PDA

View Full Version : Weird Windows Error (Freezes, Extra-Long Boot Times, and other things)

]Nouareii[
04-24-2005, 04:12 PM
I've been using Windows XP SP 2 for a while in my previous system (P4 2.4C @ 3.3 - P4P800 - 9800pro). It was a curse. Sometimes system freezed when I was 5 minutes into windows. Sometimes it just didn't boot. I just installed Windows XP Pro SP1 and it worked.

But now I've changed my rig (read below). At first, system worked OK with SP2. But after a few days, my system started crashing without warning (freezed) whenever it felt in the mood. I've tried switching drivers for everything (I thought it was the USB modem, so I started using a Non-USB one (Zyxel 645-A1)). The problem continued.

Now I reinstalled Windows. And things got worse. Not only my computer crashes whenever it wants to. Now it takes a REALLY long time (+5 minutes) to get Windows to do something useful (if I open a program, it seems to load, but nothing happens. Some minutes later, everything opens at the same time :confused: ). I discarded a problem with the LAN. But something funny is that this happens in the other computer, too.
I'm getting another version of Windows if this one is corrupted or something.

I really don't know what to do. Windows XP Pro "normal" has problems with most of the drivers. SP1 doesn't seem to like my computer. An SP2... Well... You know :p:.

I ALMOST FORGOT!. About the "48 Hours Dual Prime Stable" that appear at the bottom of the post. I did them when i switched the modem. At that time, I guessed changing it solved the problem, but when i did shut off the computer, a problem in svchost.exe appeared. I guess that that program not working made the pc work :confused: . It only happened once.

Rig 1:
DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D - Winchester 3000+ @ 2.6 ghz (289*9) - 2*512 Corsair XMS C2PT @ DDR472 2-4-4-10 - MSI Geforce 6600GT pci-e

Rig 2:
Abit NF7-S - Barton 2500+ - 1*512 SuperTalent DDR400 - Radeon 9600XT.

BTW... I'm not very good at English, so feel free to mark me any errors :D.

p.s.: Linux is not a choice.
p.s.2.: Yes, I used default settings (no OC) while installing Windows. BTW... The system is 48 hours Dual Prime Stable.

masterofpuppets
04-25-2005, 06:20 AM
How can you say Linux is not an option when it does everything Windows does, but better. Anyway, try out Windows 2000, or 2k3 if you can afford it (or can put up with using it for 120 days).

]Nouareii[
04-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Yup, but I use the pc for gaming (DirectX) or development, and i'm quite used to Visual Studio, 3DS MAX and Maya -leave alone the games-. So neither Linux or 2k3 (well... for development) are options. I just want Windows to work the way it's (supposedly) meant to.

masterofpuppets
04-25-2005, 06:28 AM
Windows doesn't work as people expect it to anyway, by design. Anyway, why not try 2k? It's pretty much one of the only versions I will use (other than 2k3). All games run on 2k, it's much more bloat free than XP, and is good for benching.

]Nouareii[
04-25-2005, 06:34 AM
OK, I'll give 2k a try. Opening Partition Magic :D.