PDA

View Full Version : Powerstream owners, PLEASE read this

Psyche911
04-23-2005, 08:13 AM
For a detailed explanation, see my post over in the OCZ sub-forum here:
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=829971&posted=1#post829971

If you could all please run Prime95's "Blend" torture test (Options -> Torture Test... -> Blend -> Okay) and listen very closely for a squealing noise coming from the PSU.

It starts almost immediately for me, then there is a slight pause, then it resumes again. I RMA'd my first Powerstream, and this problem occured again when I got the new unit. I have found others with this same issue, and want to get a feel for how many people have this occur.

Also, if you want to post your system specs along with which specific unit (Modstream, Powerstream 420/520/600) that would be helpful. Please keep discussion to a minimum as really I mainly want to find out how widespread this is.

Thanks in advance!

MaxxxRacer
04-23-2005, 11:06 AM
My ocz makes no such noise. but as i commented to you in the pm my enermax does make that sound under certain load contitions (the noise is worse with hexus pifast)

andyOCZ
04-23-2005, 05:36 PM
For a detailed explanation, see my post over in the OCZ sub-forum here:
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=829971&posted=1#post829971

If you could all please run Prime95's "Blend" torture test (Options -> Torture Test... -> Blend -> Okay) and listen very closely for a squealing noise coming from the PSU.

It starts almost immediately for me, then there is a slight pause, then it resumes again. I RMA'd my first Powerstream, and this problem occured again when I got the new unit. I have found others with this same issue, and want to get a feel for how many people have this occur.

Also, if you want to post your system specs along with which specific unit (Modstream, Powerstream 420/520/600) that would be helpful. Please keep discussion to a minimum as really I mainly want to find out how widespread this is.

Thanks in advance!

I have a few of the Powerstreams running at home and have not experienced this. I live in North San Diegio County (Vista) so we should have quite similar power form the grid. Is it possible for you to check your wall voltage?

Also, are you running a UPS (uninteruptible power supply) and if so how many watts is it rated for. The software for it may tell you line voltage.

Thanks

CrazyXP1700
04-23-2005, 05:53 PM
all i can hear is my AA8's chokes squealing like piggies during prime...

not a peep out of my 420w powerstream though...

SteveOCZ
04-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Psyche911

Have you taken a listen to the chokes on your motherboard or video card? In almost all cases of the noise your hearing it comes from the motherboard or video card chokes. If you still think it's the PSU try it in another room of your house

Steve

charlie
04-23-2005, 08:06 PM
yeah, me too....
Definitely comes from teh PSU!

C

STEvil
04-23-2005, 08:49 PM
my 600w powerstream is silent, but my neo2 screams at me.

Psyche911
04-24-2005, 06:30 AM
There is absolutely no chance it's anything but the PSU.
I've listened to everything in my case, as well as used my old (Enermax) PSU and the sound wasn't there then.

charlie has the same issue as me.

andy, check it with what? I don't have the knowhow or tools for certain, yet. And no UPS, just a surge protector.

neokenzo
04-24-2005, 06:32 AM
Mine used to make squeaking sound but it's stopped at least for now :)

chunkylover77
04-24-2005, 06:36 AM
I have the 600w powerstream and get no noise.

andyOCZ
04-24-2005, 07:04 AM
There is absolutely no chance it's anything but the PSU.
I've listened to everything in my case, as well as used my old (Enermax) PSU and the sound wasn't there then.

charlie has the same issue as me.

andy, check it with what? I don't have the knowhow or tools for certain, yet. And no UPS, just a surge protector.

I was trying to see what you were running. Sometimes running a small UPS like a 300 watter will cause issues.

You might try another power strip or a different circuit in your home.

Where are you located? Oh I see Long Island. Hmmmm

We can RMA you and test a unit with your motherboard at OCZ if you like. We'll have one of the women listen. They have better high frequency hearing you know. ;)

Seriously, we want you to be happy with your purchase and we will do what it takes.

Email me.

andyOCZ
04-24-2005, 07:15 AM
One more thing. Rest assured if this were a "wide spread" issue we would be all over it. We care!

Psyche911
04-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks andy, but if you check the other thread I linked to at the top, this is what I got from an RMA on my first one.

I'm not unhappy. OCZ has been very helpful and quick on the responses in the service dept. I also have not experienced any problems with stability, so I don't know if I have any need to worry.

I'll try another outlet later I guess.

One quick question. When under heavy load, the vcore as read by ASUS Probe does seem to drop quite a bit. More than my Enermax PSU. Now, I know that these programs aren't always accurate, but could this be a sign of the problem?

Right now I'm running the torture test and it's reading at 1.488 volts. Stock is set at 1.525. I had it as high as 1.6 and it still drops into the 1.4xx. Any need to worry about this?

SteveOCZ
04-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks andy, but if you check the other thread I linked to at the top, this is what I got from an RMA on my first one.

I'm not unhappy. OCZ has been very helpful and quick on the responses in the service dept. I also have not experienced any problems with stability, so I don't know if I have any need to worry.

I'll try another outlet later I guess.

One quick question. When under heavy load, the vcore as read by ASUS Probe does seem to drop quite a bit. More than my Enermax PSU. Now, I know that these programs aren't always accurate, but could this be a sign of the problem?

Right now I'm running the torture test and it's reading at 1.488 volts. Stock is set at 1.525. I had it as high as 1.6 and it still drops into the 1.4xx. Any need to worry about this?

Vcore is regulated by the motherboard so the PSU has very little to do with it. Yes a stronger PSU will perhaps make it dip a little less, but at some point no matter how high your highend PSU is the vcore is going to dip. It varries board to board in most cases

Pivo504
04-28-2005, 05:38 PM
hmm never noticed that but Ill have to listen more closely..

jpm8o4
04-30-2005, 12:33 AM
I dont' hear a squealing noice on my 520w or 600w powerstream when I run prinme 95 blend. I decided to try it after reading this thread.

masterofpuppets
04-30-2005, 02:36 AM
Feel the air coming from the back of your PSU. You may just have so much heat in there the capacitors are starting to strain under the load.

STEvil
04-30-2005, 11:18 AM
noises are usually from chokes and coils, not capacitors.

largon
05-05-2005, 10:02 AM
I have a squeling OCZ too.
The squeling is very quiet though. I can hear it only if I put my ear right next to a fan grill. No chance hearing it from, say 20cm.

rick_fx
05-05-2005, 02:23 PM
I have a 520w powerstream and hear no squealing noise.

lizardmech
05-14-2005, 09:17 PM
My 520w squeals when its under load and clicks when the compuer is off, I don't care as long as it works ok though.

jahjahbinks
10-23-2005, 09:22 AM
my 520w makes such sound when running dual prime. :mad:

Ugly n Grey
10-23-2005, 09:34 AM
I have five 520 's and can't hear a thing out of them on singles or x2's at full blast load