PDA

View Full Version : Reformatted computer, need some help with XP

Stevedub
04-22-2005, 01:46 AM
Hi, this is my first post on these forums, and I was looking for some help. I wiped and reformatted my hard drive, then put XP back on, but now I can't change the resolution or image quality. I also can't connect to the internet. Can some one help? Sorry if this is not an appropriate post, I am rather new to these forums.

perkam
04-22-2005, 02:04 AM
First, it would be nice to know your specs, specifically your graphics card, which you need to install drivers for from either the ATI or Nvidia website.

Your post is fine, just a tad more info is necessary. Oh and btw,

:banana: :welcome: Welcome to XS, Stevedub !!!! :welcome: :banana:

Hope you have a nice stay here at XS and all your questions are answered :) .

Perkam

Stevedub
04-22-2005, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the welcome :) This is actually my girlfriend's mother's computer. Its a dell with integrated graphics. I'm not sure the exact specs, but its a celeron chip, and it doesnt have an AGP slot. I put the recovery cd's in, but all they do is take me to this dell help center. I'm guessing I just need some drivers. I wonder if my dell cd's will work with this comp?

drftkng
04-22-2005, 10:43 AM
I work with Dells all day here at work. There should be a service tag number on the case somewhere, it is like 8 characters long. Once you have that go here,Dell Support (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs) take that service tag number and it will tell you everthing about that computer. what hardware it has in it and so forth, then from there you will be able to go to dell's download page and get the proper drivers for that machine.

Hope this helps.

Stevedub
04-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the replys :) I seem to be having trouble installing the ethernet and video drivers. I've been trying the recovery disks that came with the computer, but it doesnt want to fix the problem. I'm kind of stumped because I've never had this problem before. I may have to call tech support

masterofpuppets
04-23-2005, 03:22 AM
Don't use the recovery disks. For graphics drivers, get the official ones. And get the official drivers for your ethernet too.

perkam
04-23-2005, 03:33 AM
Don't use the recovery disks. For graphics drivers, get the official ones. And get the official drivers for your ethernet too.

Have a friend who has exactly the same setup. If its integrated, you need to use the CDs that came with the comp. OR the best way is to talk to someone at Dell about which integrated graphics u have.

Btw, you can prolly run the original unreal tournament on it lol but other than that it was never built for gaming or 3d applications.

Perkam