PDA

View Full Version : Volt modding r9700... reliable?

PimpJack
12-06-2002, 09:27 PM
I would like to v gpu mod my ati 9700+ so i can go higher than my 391mhz stable max. I'm worried about reliability as its not just for benching. I want the card to run 24/7 at the v modded values and still keep it safe. I noticed some have "ports" for their resistors so they can take them on/off for benching and browsing forums. I have good watercooling on it so temps should not be a problem.
Is it just like ocing ur cpu, as in it will last for quit some time?

What is default v gpu and what is a safe voltage for the r9700?

Thanx:p

BladeRunner
12-07-2002, 09:44 AM
Well you are always risking the hardware when overclocking especially when volt modding stuff as I guess you are well aware. I think it's to early to say what adverse effects it could have, but I'm currently running mine with 1.82v @ 452mhz stable, been set to 452mhz for almost a week now without any obvious signs of death.

However, like said until someone finds possible problems at the limits, because they suffer the bad consequences, and then make it known, (like overvolting the P4's too much can cause electromigration for instance), then best not do it if you can't accept the possibility of a shot lived card.

Mine is water-cooled with a home-made set-up, (both VPU & RAM) with coolant at 12C. Something else I found that helped me get higher, (especially the ram), was cooling the plate on the back of the card. On my card it was getting red hot during games & benchmarks, will be v modding the ram soon and making a test waterblock to cool the hot plate to see if that helps to get it higher....... defaut voltage on my card for the VPU = 1.48v, the ram I can't test atm, as the test points are under my ram waterblock :rolleyes:

more details HERE (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33651150)