PDA

View Full Version : wrong cpu kit with prom???

mike.elmes
12-06-2002, 08:02 PM
I have half installed the top and bottom half of the coolinghead retension parts on the motherboard. For some reason it doesn't line up with the CPU plus it seems to sit a little high....Is it possible I have an amd kit? WTF?:confused:

Can someone have a look at this??

mike.elmes
12-06-2002, 08:06 PM
I am calling it a night on this project . I still think I have the wrong kit but who knows...mabe I'm just a little tired tonight.:(

Hardass
12-06-2002, 08:08 PM
My P4 kit looks just like yours, I don,t have it installed at the moment. I,m running amd. Here is a Link (http://www.chip-con.com/assemb478.asp) to a install tip at chip-con.

mike.elmes
12-07-2002, 10:35 AM
Thanx Hardass. I had a chance to re- read the chip-con install tips, and they seem a little clearer, but I just thought it should align a little better over the heatspreader of the cpu.

mike.elmes
12-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Here is a pic of the upper mounting bracket installed without the metal insert. the hermetic seal looks good to the eye but I cant see all around perfectly. My concern was the metal bracket that fits into the upper mounting bracket just doesnt center perfectly over the p4's heatspreader... it's a little to one end...as the first pic illustrates.

Umgawa
12-07-2002, 11:00 AM
On backwards you think? Looks to me the plastic piece is on backwards and please dont try to run it like that.:)

mike.elmes
12-07-2002, 11:03 AM
I tried rotating by 180 degrees and it looks even worse.??

mike.elmes
12-07-2002, 11:05 AM
Here is how it looks with the metal insert.

Umgawa
12-07-2002, 04:30 PM
After looking at JC's review it looks like you have it on right. I bet you something went wrong when they made your metal bracket. I would email chip-con asap and send them the picture. They will take care of it asap.

mike.elmes
12-07-2002, 04:53 PM
Thanx Umgawa for your read on this... I too feel something's not quite right.I am greatfull for your help. Hopefully Steen will help with this. I was thinking that my P4 kit had an AMD metal bracket instead of the p4 one...or something like that. ;)

CCtaylor
12-07-2002, 09:22 PM
Ok I had the same problem..

What you have to do is Undo the metal piece and flip it around..

Just be careful not to snap the plastic, where it latches on....

mike.elmes
12-09-2002, 05:46 PM
A few more questions regarding the prom.

That power cord that ships with the unit....IEC interconecting power cord....so like,is this suppose to plug into an outlet?? I haven't seen a plug like that before..Do I need an adapter?

The registration plate says 120v 60hz ...so it's definitely for north america.

Hardass
12-09-2002, 05:51 PM
The hollow part is for the prom base and the other end plugs into the power supply. Then there is one more plug at the bottom of prom base unit that get a power cord from wall outlet.

mike.elmes
12-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Just thought I'd update....

All problems resolved...my screw up. Now that I got it right all is well with the 2.66@3.45 and still not topped out. I am going slowly at first and will surely see 3.5G .:toast:

Umgawa
12-13-2002, 04:42 AM
Nice glad to hear. What did you do wrong so we will know not to do same thing.:D

aenigma
12-13-2002, 06:42 AM
Yeah good to see you got it working.Nice overclock, what kind of temps are you getting? :toast:

mike.elmes
12-13-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by aenigma
Yeah good to see you got it working.Nice overclock, what kind of temps are you getting? :toast:
Thanx, temp @evap reads -45 on startup, and load temps see the evap temp warm to -32c. Bios reports -18c...don't know how accurate the on die temp is but I believe if I reseat the evap I could add a few washers and increase pressure on core and no doubt warm the temps up, thus removing heat a bit better.

As for the upper mounting bracket....the metal insert was off by 180 degrees.....that's the way it came., plus I installed the plastic piece upside down.In the end though,the alignment was better but not perfect. The heatspreader is a fair bit bigger than the core, and the prom has a large evaporator, thus giving excellent contact.

:)

aenigma
12-13-2002, 10:13 AM
Well what is cpu temp under full load, and evap temp?By the way, where is evap temp measured, is it on the back of the evap(means nothing) or the base?