PDA

View Full Version : My Psu Screams!!! Help!!!

guernseynick
04-19-2005, 09:25 AM
i have installed part of windows and when it goes to the bit that looks all xp'ish and not like bios the psu starts making a noise that sounds like a siren. I think it is my psu anyway.

I have a fatal1ty aa8xe and a x700 and a 3.4 P4......my psu is a 320w with 15A rail......is it making this noise because it is overworking?...It is an aerocool 320w btw....

It could also be my m.board letting out the siren but my pcu has a hsf and is well seated with the heatsink gel on it so i dnt think it is this.....

Thanks Nick

Jamo
04-19-2005, 10:02 AM
its the chokes on the mainboard (round things with copper coils round them) that makes the shreiking sort of sound, its perfectly normal although if i were you i would look into getting a better PSU judging by your system, 15A is a little low

guernseynick
04-19-2005, 10:49 AM
thanx for your input....and not grilling me bout double posting like on a diff forum....
I am considering buying a cheap £20-35 500w psu from my local store. Will it be crap?

guernseynick
04-19-2005, 10:59 AM
o yeah i forgot 2 say it shuts itself off after a while so im guessin it was the heat in the psu that makes the shreiking noise....it is quite loud and sounds like a siren....are you sure that the mobo makes such a sound?

Jamo
04-19-2005, 01:29 PM
yeah it does shut off after a while, i too thought it was my PSU at first but on closer inspection it was the chokes on the mainboard, if the 500w PSU is a qtec dont even bother, mine and numerous other members have exploded, they are a serious risk to a rig, i've realised its best not to skimp on a PSU as a quality one will last ages

guernseynick
04-20-2005, 03:12 AM
thanks jamo....i was thinkin of buyin a q tec off ebay!!!
on closer inspection i think its the mobo
what il do is replace the H.S.fan with more thermal compound cos i dnt think i put enough on and then if it keeps doing it il know it is the mobos cos not enuf voltage....