PDA

View Full Version : Annoying pop-ups and stupid microsoft and lack security = big time threat!

JBELL
12-06-2002, 07:32 PM
A new breed of pop-up messages is proliferating that can evade ad-blocking programs and may indicate a security risk as well as present a nuisance.

Internet security monitoring firm myNetWatchman says it has seen a five-fold increase in the past month in Windows Messenger Service spam. In fact, the prevalence of such ads is worrying leading ISP America Online, so it has begun blocking the communications ports the Messenger Service uses in order to protect its members.

"It was a vulnerability, and we have blocked the port used to exploit that hole," says AOL spokesperson Andrew Weinstein.

Now, several companies have figured out a way to ship unsolicited ads in bulk to people through Windows Messenger Service. Through this conduit, the ad delivery services send short text messages to Windows PCs while they are connected to the Internet. It is yet another method of the practice of pushing digital promotions to an unsuspecting PC user.

full article here: (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=1093&ncid=738&e=6&u=/pcworld/20021207/tc_pcworld/107754)

Pest or Worse?

"These pop-ups are really nothing more than annoyances," says Lawrence Baldwin, president and founder of myNetWatchman . But he warns that if your PC's security preferences are set low enough to accept the messages, then "it should serve as a (security) wake-up call and a good time to start evaluating the security of your machine."

Baldwin says the Windows Messenger Service software he's reviewed works by trolling the Internet and probing up to 200,000 PCs each hour. The programs are searching for systems with an open Messenger Service communication port so they can receive pop-ups. He warns that a malicious hacker can also use an open port as a back door to gain access to systems.

STEvil
12-06-2002, 09:07 PM
So... anyone want to take a stand against Email/msn spam...?

I dont get much MSN spam.. maybe 1 or 2 a month... but my email spam is driving me nuts...

and im sick of it.

"listens to eminem - break stuff"

Maybe someone could setup a dummy computer to catch spam stuff then put out the spammer computers IP/etc and hack the crap out of them...

Maybe I should go to bed..

8-)

SupaMan
12-07-2002, 07:57 AM
some people are confusing this spam with MSN messenger, which is a completely different entity and has nothing to do with the Windows messenger service.
MSN Messenger
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/silverryu/msnmess.jpg

Windows Messenger1:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/silverryu/winmess.jpg
Windows Messenger2:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/silverryu/winmess2.jpg

The article talks about Windows messenger spam, which is EASILY defeatable by disabling the service called "messenger", it wont hurt anything, unless you actively use it (windows messenger/NET SEND). It has NO TIES to MSN messenger.

JBell, your front page post " If you use MS Messenger at all, then plase read this!" gave me the feeling that you confused the two. Pretty much NO ONE uses it, and it just sits in the background active, so you can still receive the messages wether you use NET SEND or not.

Windows messenger/NET SEND is a little utility integreated into every winnt based OS. Its used primarily by network admins to send messages to terminals, but it can be used to send over the internet too. its command line, and the Syntax is: NET SEND computernameorIP messagehere
For example NET SEND 192.168.0.141 b00 foo
If you replace the comp name or IP with a * then you do a LAN wide brodcast...fun for pissing off the school admins :) You can put people's IP addresses in there, but the message will fail if they have a firewall, router, or that service disabled.

SupaMan
12-07-2002, 07:58 AM
if you rightclick>properties on the pics you can jsut copy the address right into your browser...i dont have a better pic host irght now, any1 want to help me out?

nm, fixed it, still need a host that'll let me post images here

Inverter
12-10-2002, 10:25 AM
I already have. Just sign up the email being sent to you to 10,000 spam groups hee hee hee

When they invade my system through messager, then they wish not. I will strike back :)..

I'm also sick of spam!

Originally posted by STEvil
So... anyone want to take a stand against Email/msn spam...?

I dont get much MSN spam.. maybe 1 or 2 a month... but my email spam is driving me nuts...

and im sick of it.

"listens to eminem - break stuff"

Maybe someone could setup a dummy computer to catch spam stuff then put out the spammer computers IP/etc and hack the crap out of them...

Maybe I should go to bed..

8-)

TheDude
12-10-2002, 01:29 PM
LOL I remember using it in a MS class to send message to instructors pc. He had his display up on a screen behind him...broke the whole class up, but he remained cool when he finally figured out what everyone was laughing about and just closed the window.