PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Threading Support

eshbach
04-17-2005, 06:45 PM
What kind of direction do we want to take here?

I'm about to start optimizing the CPU test to support multiple processors, but do we want to make it so say the "addition test" and "subraction test" can run simultaneously or do we want the cpu's to just both work on "addition" and then both work on "subraction"?

personally i kind of think having them run both "addition" and "subtraction" at the same time is more like real-world multi-tasking.

matt9669
04-22-2005, 11:11 AM
personally i kind of think having them run both "addition" and "subtraction" at the same time is more like real-world multi-tasking.Ditto.

Most computing tasks currently are heavily serial in nature - that is, they depend on the results from the previous calculation to perform the next. It would be more likely that each thread needed to perform all the calculations rather than being able to split the tasks between threads.

In design terms, would you consider addition and subtraction as primitives? What do the operations accomplish, and can they be accomplised independently? Obviously since it's a benchmark and doesn't accomplish any real work, you're going to have to invent the scenario, but I'd think it would give you a better idea of how to structure the program - pretend it's doing real work ;)

Kunaak
04-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Multi tasking, and support of 64 bit, and SSE instruction would all be nice.
something that shows the power of Dual core, something that can take advantage of a dual core, hyperthreaded PC, or a dual core, dual CPU Opteron system (4 thread)

something, that shows off the power of the latest CPU options, but yet, still allows older CPU's like AMD Xp's still do ok at the benchmark.

eshbach
04-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Ok, having taken those suggestions, I'm going to start writing an entirely seperate part test for Multi-Tasking performance rather than make the existing CPU test support it.

this way users will be able to see exactly how their multi-threaded performance stacks up, while at the same time not giving a massive advantage to those with multi-core processors.