PDA

View Full Version : To Prometeia, or not to Prometeia, that is the question

Svenn
12-06-2002, 01:36 PM
Okay, I've been playing around with the idea of getting a Prom... I'm definetely doing phase change. The thing is I have been told by several people that a DIY phase change can achieve much lower temps and also cost less... The problem is I can't do one myself because I have no clue what I'm doing. I've been trying to get someone to build me one, but no luck. So I'm thinking maybe a Prom wouldn't be a bad idea... This is what I've come up with.

Prometeia
Pro's
-Better than my water-cooling
-Easy to install/setup (from what I hear)
-Fairly quiet
-Warranty

Con's
-Not the lowest temps
-Expensive
-Doesn't fit my case
-CPU only, no waterchilling

DIY
Pro's
-Cooler temps than Prom
-Possibly cheaper than a Prom
-Can be fit to my case
-Can be used for more than just CPU

Con's
-Hard to find someone to do it for me
-Have to build my own case
-Probably harder to install
-Requires my own condensation proofing
-No Warranty

Argh, stupid decisions... Easy to use/obtain... or cooler temps... I want the cooler temps, but I'm having no luck getting someone to build my a system. I'm just having trouble bringing myself to buying a Prom when I know there are better things out there... I want this to last. I don't want to spend another couple hundred dollars in a few months to get a new phase change system. The other problem is I'd have to do something about my GPU with the Prometeia. I'll keep my water-cooling in either way, but with a DIY I could have a water-chiller put in to get better GPU temps... I'd like to hear from both sides, and especially people who both have a Prometeia and DIY systems. This is a lot of money to spend, and is gonna take a lot of deciding... Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Hardass
12-06-2002, 01:49 PM
I really don,t know what you are expecting to hear! If you read the threads in this forum you have all the info needed to make a decision. But you have to make that choice, no one else can make it for you.. So just make the choice and then live with it.:)

Svenn
12-06-2002, 02:04 PM
I'm not really sure either. I just needed to get down everything I had and make sure I didn't miss anything. What I'd like to know though, is that the difference in temps between Prom and DIY, how big on average and how much more speed?

TheDude
12-06-2002, 02:45 PM
If you read MrIcees excellent review of the Prom, you will notice that it outperformed his own DIY water chilling system. He used that DIY system to set many records. That's pretty impressive.
In my opinion, the fun of DIY is exactly that..Do It Yourself. The experience and learning process that goes along with it and the pride of knowing that you built it. Also consider this...if you don't know how to build your own, you won't know how to fix it when it breaks or has problems. What kind of warranty and customer service do you get with a DIY? None, you DIY.
I started with a vapochill, moved to the prommie and am going to take some night classes at the local Voc school in refrigeration to learn as much as I can about DIY..plus Im come in here and read as much as I can from the people who already know. When I feel ready, I will attempt my own DIY project. I am slowly gathering the tools that I will need.
I would say go with the Prommie for now, it should last you a long time. Then learn what you need to know about DIY and have a go at it!:D Or to stay with your title theme "bear arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing, end them".

Svenn
12-06-2002, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I read MrIcees review several times. The prom was pretty impressive, but all the DIYers are telling me those temps aren't that great. I also should add the warranty and stuff to the pro's and con's. I'd love to make my own, but I lack the time, the tools, and the knowledge... aenigma just last night explained to me all the parts and what they do... I wonder... what's the market like for a used Prom? If I were to get a Prom now, and then learn more and want to build my own later... think I'd be able to sell it? At least that way I would be out $700+... Like I said before though... The difference in temps between the average DIY (direct die) and a Prom... how much and how big of an overclocking difference do you think it'd be?

My other problem is still figuring out how to fit the Prom to my case... I'd scratch my case and go with a new one if I didn't pay $550 w/ 550W PSU for it....

sharpbw
12-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Do what I"m doing. Buy a Promy now to show you how this stuff works, and then teach yourself how to build one that's better.

Svenn
12-07-2002, 11:46 PM
That's what I'm thinking of doing sharpbw, but I don't want to just toss the Prom aside when I'm done? That's a lot of money!

AKRedneck
12-08-2002, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Svenn
.......but I don't want to just toss the Prom aside when I'm done? That's a lot of money!

I doubt you'd have a problem selling your prom if you were worried about it sitting around... She may not be a virgin anymore, buy you know somone would still be willing use and abuse 'er... :p

TheDude
12-08-2002, 10:03 AM
If you are looking for guarantees and sure things, they went the way of the free lunch. If you wanna play, you gotta pay.:D

Svenn
12-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
If you are looking for guarantees and sure things, they went the way of the free lunch. If you wanna play, you gotta pay.:D

I'm not so much worried about paying. I'd buy something that cost a grand or more if I thought I'd get lower temps. I'm just worried that I'll buy it when I could have spent more (or even less) to get lower temps out of it. Then I'd have wasted money which could have otherwise been put to good use. I'm almost positive I'm going with a Prom now though... I got the money all ready. Just making final decisions...

TheDude
12-08-2002, 06:23 PM
What I meant by "pay" is you are going to lose money when you sell it. It's used and no one can tell you what the market for it will be down the road. Even if you learn to DIY and build a super direct die or chiller dirt cheap...you still gonna "pay" with a time and effort investment. Go with what you think is best for you at this time and most of all...HAVE FUN WITH IT!;)

ronnie0738
12-08-2002, 07:37 PM
Have you considered just to use the prom for your cpu and a waterchiller for your gpu? That way, you can also pelt your gpu too.

Svenn
12-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Well, I don't mind not getting as much back for the Prom. If I got $50 back, that's $50 more for me. Anyway, the money isn't the big issue. It's just getting the best system that's gonna last. I think I'm gonna buy a Prom and learn from there, and if I feel so inclined I can later build my own phase change.

As for gpu cooling, I planned on pelt/water-chilling the gpu no matter what I did for phase change. I was hoping I could use the phase change also as a water-chiller, but oh well. I just have to learn about pelts now.

The one last problem I have is what to do with my case... It's so freaking big... The Prom doesn't fit length or width. I'm thinking of trying to just make myself a custom case in which the prom case will fit and putting it under my case. I have to see what access to resources and tools I have.

TheDude
12-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Try posting the case in our classified section with a pic of it, how much you want for it and your heatware...who knows? What kind of case is it?:D

Svenn
12-08-2002, 09:29 PM
I'm not really sure what kind of case it is. I ordered it from a company that stopped doing cases and case mods... It's a huge (21"L x 16"W x 21"H) cube server case that I bought custom modded with 2 windows (including a MightyMouse etched window) for $550 w/ a 550W Enermax PSU. The only real problem I have with it is I can't take it to LAN parties and the Prom won't fit easily... It's got plenty of room for my water-cooling and stuff.
Pic 1 (http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~svenn/case1.jpg)
Pic 2 (http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~svenn/case3.jpg)

I doubt I'll sell it right now. I like it, especially the MightyMouse window. Like I said, I'll just try and make my own case for the Prom case to fit in.
:D

TheDude
12-08-2002, 11:21 PM
Sweet case!

:thumbsup:

Svenn
12-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Hehe, thanks. I had no idea it was so big when I ordered it. The site had a small cube case and large cube case. I figured I could use the room for my water-cooling. I had no idea I could fit my water-cooling and live inside it with room to spare :slobber: Hehe

It gets lots of oohs and aahs from friends and family though :)

Anyway, back to the original topic... I just need to wait for my transfer to paypal to be complete... Oh yeah, question about ordering from XTWerkz... If anyone knows. The Prom only has a pay with credit card button, no add to cart. Does this mean I need 2 separate orders for the Prom and then the extra seal string/power conditioner?

TheDude
12-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Well...you picked the best place to buy one in my opinion. I could not remember how it's setup, so I went and looked and see what you mean. I did notice that if you click on parts like string, there is an add to cart button, but as you say only saw the Credit card button on the Prommie. Keep in mind that as a member of the Folding Team, you get some extra goodies...make sure you mention that to them..XTW cut us a special deal! Go here for details
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3598

Anyway....either email them and ask or try ordering something like the power conditioner in your cart and see if you can then add the prommie. They are fast to reply to emails.

Congrats on the new prommie...I love mine!

Svenn
12-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Sweet! Think they'd give me the power conditioner in place of those cables? :hehe: Hehe, I was ready to pay full price for everything, so hey, I'll take anything free! That rocks!

Svenn
12-09-2002, 01:16 PM
Btw, The Big Lebowski freaking rocks. I love your Avatar :thumbsup:

TheDude
12-09-2002, 03:20 PM
lol thanks.....I just watched it again the other night
"STFU Donnie!"

XTW rocks!:D

Svenn
12-09-2002, 09:13 PM
Well now punisher says he may be able to build me a system... But now I'm actually starting to like the Prom better... I don't know how much of a guarantee I can get that Punisher can even fully build a system... I don't doubt he knows his refrigeration stuff... But I'm not sure he knows how to apply it to cpu cooling... I think I might still just go with a Prom for now...

TheDude
12-10-2002, 07:34 AM
I have no comments on anything that concerns punisher. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Hardass
12-10-2002, 07:46 AM
I will always go with a sure thing over a maybe, anyday.:)

Svenn
12-10-2002, 10:52 AM
That's what I'm thinking Hardass... The temptation of cooler temps is grabbing me though, but I think I may stick with my plan of buy a Prom and learn more to possibly do my own... Besides, he said he wasn't even sure he could, it was a maybe.

skbrown
01-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Would all please comment on and compare the Prometeia and Vapochill systems? Thanks for all responses.

cgk123
01-04-2003, 03:51 PM
hey sven, i am in the exact same boat as you. i wanna do a phase change system but have no idea/knowledge of my own and am hesitant to spend a 1000 cdn bucks for one.

let me know if you buy then wanna sell your prommie anytime soon as i will definitely be interested in a discounted prommie

Dissolved
01-04-2003, 04:47 PM
you guys should probly just buy a prommy. you dont have the tools needed to build your own.

im working on my own system too. but since i have the tools and the refrigerent, all i need is the info and parts.

So you guys might wanna start off getting the prommie. its not that bad. From what ive learned, DIY will only gain you better temps if you know what your doing and if you have better parts.

Svenn
01-05-2003, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I already decided on a Prom. I plan on ordering in the next few days. I'm trying to get the funds together for a bunch of upgrades all out once. Expect to see my new 3dmark scores soon :)