PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Files on My Hard Drive

Disposibleteen
04-15-2005, 03:07 PM
alright my system seems to be losing files. First it was that everytime i rebooted, my antivirus said it needed to be reinstalled. So i thought it was a nasty virus and reformatted (deep level). I reinstalled windows XP and got all of the latest drivers from my manufacturers. Then i reinstalled my antivirus and rebooted, once i again it says that the app has been damaged and needs to be reinstalled. This isnt even the best part though, now i cannot launch D2OL. It says "cant launch executable (the launch anywhere properties file is missing) try reinstalling the application." So now i was convinced it was a hard drive problem. I went out to seagate's web site and got their drive checker app. I ran it and it said the drive is 100% fine. I also tried windows disk checker and defragging the disc and still nothing changes.

Thanks for your help!

perkam
04-15-2005, 03:19 PM
What evidence have u seen of lost data other than what your antivirus (which one?) tells u??

Did u see any actual loss of data or hangups or any other anomalies?

Perkam

Disposibleteen
04-16-2005, 04:26 AM
well 3 antivirus apps have had the same problem, Norton, AVG (free one), Macafee (free trial). I somtimes get little hangup but im pretty sure thats D2OL related becuase it stops when i turn D2OL off.

Mangar
04-16-2005, 04:58 AM
I have had similar experiences with seagates, sorry I cannot give you the cause but once I switched to Hitachi drives I have been more than happy. And they are very quiet too :)

perkam
04-16-2005, 05:30 AM
I have had similar experiences with seagates

I've told ppl many times: keep with WD or Maxtor, they're quite reliable. I think u need to do a full diagnostic on your comp. Run the following progs:

Adaware Personal Edition SE
Spybot Search and Destroy
SpywareBlaster - which cleans up ur browsers
CodeStuff Starter - to disable all the startup progs u dont need
Trend Micro House call - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Panda Active Scan - http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Those should be sufficient, if the problem persists then its not a software problem.

Perkam

Disposibleteen
04-17-2005, 04:55 AM
i already know its not a software problem, it cant be if i deep level reformatted it then did a clean XP install.

STEvil
04-18-2005, 11:41 AM
probably the chipset or your HDD controller chip causing the problem.

nF2's are bad for this too..

eagle101
04-22-2005, 03:29 PM
just passing bye and saw this post,i have free avg and ace utilities pro paid version.....i notice i loose stuff also i cant launch limegreen and i have the program before it was good working.......
my hard drive is fujitsu mau3036np 15k scsi.im wondering if my hd is no good and ive had it for 3 or 4 months and i noticed these problems?
:confused:

Disposibleteen
04-22-2005, 04:46 PM
i underclocked and reinstalled and fixed the seagate problem, i also bought a new WD HDD and it allowed me to OC it without losing anything

masterofpuppets
04-23-2005, 03:48 AM
I always recommend WD. I have been able to overclock to very unstable speeds without losing data on my Raptors. Go WD!

perkam
04-23-2005, 03:58 AM
I always recommend WD. I have been able to overclock to very unstable speeds without losing data on my Raptors. Go WD!

Yup...Stay away from Seagate/Hitachi and other companies which barely have support for their brands. Maxtor and WD (with WD being more prefered but Maxtor with cheap SATAII compatibility ;) ) ...are the best brands and the ones pushing the envelope when it comes to new technology in Hard Drives.

Perkam

EMC2
04-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Never had a prob with lost data on Cudas when pushed to the edge nor with reliability... and a 5 year warranty is hardly "no support" ;) Would also agree that raptor's are excellent (tho pricey) drives.

That said, 3 big keys for HDs are clean, stable power, quality data cables, and temp.

eagle101
04-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Never had a prob with lost data on Cudas when pushed to the edge nor with reliability... and a 5 year warranty is hardly "no support" ;) Would also agree that raptor's are excellent (tho pricey) drives.

That said, 3 big keys for HDs are clean, stable power, quality data cables, and temp.
fujitsu mau3036 15k problem/my x15 is ok
where are the scsi people :confused:

Daveb2012
04-23-2005, 11:59 AM
i already know its not a software problem, it cant be if i deep level reformatted it then did a clean XP install.

did you reload all your back ups after the clean install? maybe your putting a dirty registry back on if so? if your only installing an os and getting the same problem it has to be the HDD, I would still double check by installing an OS on an extra HDD laying around and going through the same process.

Disposibleteen
04-24-2005, 03:47 PM
no i didnt reload all of my crap, the only thing i have backed up that i reload everytime is my music and that is installed on every computer in my house so i know its not that.

EMC2
04-26-2005, 06:46 PM
fujitsu mau3036 15k problem/my x15 is ok
where are the scsi people :confused:

:rotf: Who said anything about only having 1 system or 2 drives :p: