PDA

View Full Version : Storm G5 Waterblock

churcheo
04-13-2005, 03:21 PM
I received a pre-order E-Mail on March 14th and sent a payment via PayPal on the 16th. In the E-Mail, it said we'd get a response within two weeks or so. It's been a month and I've sent two E-Mails with no response to either. I understand he is busy and I am in no way trying to b*tch, I'm just wondering what is up? Anyone else in the same boat? Thanks.

MaxxxRacer
04-13-2005, 04:00 PM
I havnt seen him online much at the forums so its possible that he is AWAL for the moment.

Craig
04-13-2005, 04:17 PM
I also ordered at the same time you did on the 15th IIRC.

I've not heard anything yet, but then I didn't expect to yet.

From my reading of it I concluded that it would be more like 6-7 weeks before I needed to make final payment. If I remember right,

2 weeks for ordered silver to come in after he had enough/all orders.

We paid almost 2 weeks ahead of the final cut off date, so that 2 weeks I figured didn't count.

Cathar said 2-5 weeks to get all the blocks machined, tops and barbs as per your request sorted & then contact for final payment, followed by shipping of the block.

So I'm figuring on another 2 weeks minimum, perhaps even another month myself before I hear from him. Not to say I don't make sure I check my e-mails more regulerly than I some times do though.....:D

Rest easy bro, I ordered a Cascade when they were being made to & it does take a bit to get them. And I suspect that with the much larger number of folks who knew of Cathars past good work & the reviews of Pro Cooling........I expect he got more Storm orders than the WW & Cascade combined.

spatman
04-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Here is a post from Cathar on 9th of April..

Machining on the first half of the silver plates started this week. Am still awaiting arrival of the second half of the silver plates.

Machinists are getting a second CNC mill into their workshop in the next couple of weeks. Even though things are maybe 1 week behind schedule (for the second half of the batch) I still anticipate that it should all be done to plan.

Overclockers Austraila (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=299417&page=140&pp=15)

mad mikee
04-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Remember mad mikee's 2nd law: :fact:

The chances of quick gratification are inversely proportional to desire for said gratification. :brick: :D

All will come in good time. (besides I gotta get around to building the rad box dangit, don't rush me :D )

MaxxxRacer
04-13-2005, 05:14 PM
I like that law mikee... have to use it.. You should mail scientific american and have it published!

churcheo
04-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Excellent, I was just wondering if anyone else had any contact. Thanks guy and hey - that's a good law! :)

Nubius
04-13-2005, 08:24 PM
lol you mean he's "AWOL" ;)

But man, ya gotta figure he's getting a decent amount of orders, and I'm willing to bet the place he gets them machined from would somewhat determine how fast he could pump them out.........he does go and have them machined right? Or does he simply have 'connections' to get it done

MaxxxRacer
04-13-2005, 08:46 PM
He has to pay through the nose to get them machined. The designs are VERY intricite and take alot of machining time.

The Mofo
04-13-2005, 09:58 PM
The more people that sweat Cathar, the less he is going to do this in the future.. Be patient man, jeez.. And check his website and the aussie site for updates.

jpm8o4
04-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Cathar is a very busy man also with his real job...Don't worry you'll get your G5 soon enough and it will be worth the wait :D

Nubius
04-13-2005, 11:24 PM
He has to pay through the nose to get them machined. The designs are VERY intricite and take alot of machining time. Yeah that's kind of what I figured, especially being silver. I've seen his designs though so I understand completely when you say intricate.

Still don't know about some freakin $200 for one though lol

churcheo
04-14-2005, 06:48 PM
I was not sweating him in anyway, I just was wondering if I missed out on an E-Mail or two. I know he's busy, I said that in my first post...was only wondering, I'm not mad or anything.

freecableguy
04-16-2005, 07:14 AM
I am just as anxious as you as I have 2 on order for my Xeon machine being assembled now. Just be patient...I expect to hear something by the end of the month. Probably another month before they arrive...

mad mikee
04-16-2005, 08:10 PM
For maxx when you are trying to get something to work :bsod:
1. Nothing is ever smiple (simple) (replaces all versions of murphy's law since they are all examples of this one :fact: )

3. This should have been # 2 but I thought of 2 first - which is an example of law#1 :wierd:
Answer to law #1 (why couldn't at least THIS be simple) - because it's not fair !

I live by these laws and have made good use of #2 (I will prolly get the SD on time because I don't really NEED it.) But then rule #1 will kick in.....

Notten
05-08-2005, 03:48 PM
*Lets bump this sucker*

Well it's been something like a month and a half since since I made the deposit for the silver and I still havent heard anything.

I take it a few people here are also awaiting their G5's and can imagine cathar getting ALOT of emails so........anyone heard from him?

freecableguy
05-08-2005, 04:53 PM
If you check the thread at the OC AUS Forums you will see that Cathar's (Stew) latest update is that 75% of the batch is at the lappers and then on to final assembly after that. I am STILL waiting patiently for my pair of G5 Storms. I think I should have them in hand by about the first week of June if everything goes to plan.

Nubius
05-08-2005, 06:41 PM
sounds like torture for those things :D

mad mikee
05-09-2005, 04:43 AM
You can perfect the rest of the loop(s) while waiting for teh capper. :banana:

Craig
05-10-2005, 03:34 AM
If you check the thread at the OC AUS Forums you will see that Cathar's (Stew) latest update is that 75% of the batch is at the lappers and then on to final assembly after that.

I do wish he'd post such updates on HIS site for selling the blocks. I personally have never, and will never, join a site that requires you to join without allowing folks to at least view/read it first. So some info at his own site would seem to me to be a must. Yet when I just looked last update was dated back in Jan. :( :confused:

Thanks very much for that info cableguy. I really do hope to hear from him soon.

Notten
05-11-2005, 04:02 PM
I totally agree with you......all respect to the man for what he is doing for the wc community and god knows he probably has his hands full but when no e-mails are sent and his site stay non-updated you're bound to get worried :(

And yes thx for the update freecable :)

nikhsub1
05-11-2005, 04:58 PM
I think I'll tease you guys :p: I spent all day changing my tubing out, putting the new 120.3 shrouds on and put these new killer SS barbs on from Monster Works. Some piccies, note the girth of them shrouds :D

Sorry for the focus on this :(
http://www.anonforums.com/builds/blackcube/barbsblock.jpg

Same barbs in the 120.3
http://www.anonforums.com/builds/blackcube/rad1.jpg

http://www.anonforums.com/builds/blackcube/rad2.jpg

shadowing
05-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey Nikhsub, is that a regular Black ice rad.? Or is it a heater core?

nikhsub1
05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey Nikhsub, is that a regular Black ice rad.? Or is it a heater core?
err, 120.3 Thermochill

heater918
05-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Who has the shrouds in stock? I have been waiting on the PS120.2 version.

Cathar
05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Sorry for the lack of email updates guys.

Everything is progressing well. Assembly and final payment and shipping should begin next week unless this lapping crew drop the ball badly. If they do - I'm ready to take to them with a baseball bat. :nono:

Not much longer now - seriously. Within 2 weeks everyone who's prepaid should have one headed their way (assuming that they made the final payment which I'll be emailing about to people individually when I have a block packed and ready to go immediately to them - so I don't keep people who've paid in full waiting.).

freecableguy
05-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Cathar! Wow, thanks for contributing! I'm ready to send my bucks for the two G5's that I have on order. Any way that I can verify the configuration of the blocks that I am expecting are being made?

Cathar
05-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Cathar! Wow, thanks for contributing! I'm ready to send my bucks for the two G5's that I have on order. Any way that I can verify the configuration of the blocks that I am expecting are being made?

Did you already tell me?

Basically if it's anything other than "Socket A", then you're safe, 'cos "non Socket A" is all the same thing.

Pretty much everyone who didn't explicitly say "Socket A", will get the block with the mounting bracket attached.

If someone didn't tell me the barb size when asked, they'll get the default, being 1/2" barbs.

People who asked for Socket A, but have since changed their minds/config, can just install the mounting plate themselves - easy job. Vice-versa applies.

freecableguy
05-13-2005, 09:26 AM
I didn't tell you anything so I am getting the mounting plate (for my Socket 604 Xeons) and 1/2" barbs then. Good, just what I wanted. Thanks for the reply.

-FCG

heater918
05-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Another G5 update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, so things are progressing semi-well.

A minor fault with the machining has meant that about 1 in 4 of the plates in the blocks have O-rings grooves that are too deep, and so the blocks don't seal properly. Am discovering which plates are faulty and am going to have to get them touch-up. This is not a difficult process on the CNC mill and they should be able to be done before I'm done assembling and packing the rest, so in the end it'll all hopefully work out without it resulting in any further delays, but I thought it best to flag it here that while 75% of the blocks will be ready and shipping, there'll be 25% that may get a few days behind.

Should be shipping the first of the blocks out starting on Monday. Will be sending out emails real soon now to finalise things (haven't sent any out yet in case you're wondering).

Latest update.( Quoat from Cathar)