PDA

View Full Version : Is DryIce + Alcohol vapor toxic?

Apocalipsis
04-13-2005, 12:40 AM
I know a well ventilated room is a must to work with this kind of stuff but what if I do some runs in a non-well ventilated one? any danger? the room will not be totally closed but the ventilation is not very good.

Rauf
04-13-2005, 01:38 AM
what might be dangerous is when the Dryice vaporizes it expands and pushes the oxygen away from the surrounding air.
if there's to much CO2 in the air you will fall asleep and suffocate.

Apocalipsis
04-13-2005, 06:07 AM
Ok, thx for answer Rauf.

If I try to push the vaporized CO2 to the exit with a big fan, it will be better right?

Jvlk
04-13-2005, 09:23 AM
I know a well ventilated room is a must to work with this kind of stuff but what if I do some runs in a non-well ventilated one? any danger? the room will not be totally closed but the ventilation is not very good.

It will not be that extreme, as long if your not in a airtight box everything is fine.
No need for a fan.

-(CH)-
04-13-2005, 09:28 AM
How about opening a window?!

cold_ice
04-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Opening a window is enough.

Jrocket
04-13-2005, 12:21 PM
What about the evaporated alcohol vapor? Is there enough alcohol gas to be dangerous?

Apocalipsis
04-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Opening a window is enough.

Well, not window, but door :p: thx to all.

bxa121
04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
co2 is denser than normal air.. ever blow up a baloon and watch is sink to teh ground.. thats too much co2 in there .. bt nonetheless id recomend ventilation.. 100% pure alcahol evaporates at normal rooom temperature anyways so i dont tink theres much harm
someone correct me if im wrong...

alexio
04-14-2005, 09:49 AM
co2 is denser than normal air.. ever blow up a baloon and watch is sink to teh ground.

Yeah, CO2 is denser but your argument is wrong, that it sinks to the ground is mostly because of the rubber the baloon is made of :fact:

-(CH)-
04-14-2005, 11:10 AM
What about the evaporated alcohol vapor? Is there enough alcohol gas to be dangerous?

Who cares about alcohol vapor, I would even enjoy some vodka vapor will im ocing :p:

No seriosly watch out this is not ethanol, its kinda really extremly disgusting if you drink it or breath it, mostly it even has emetic in it...
And I think that you can get blind if ya drink it, not sure my parents always say that :p:

Rauf
04-14-2005, 12:07 PM
It will not be that extreme, as long if your not in a airtight box everything is fine.
No need for a fan.

it's actually more dangerous than you think. i left a box of well-isolated dryice in my garage over night. the morning after it was impossible to start my car ;). I had to push it outside and leave it there for many hours before it would start.
A garage is not exactly airtight either...

So a window or something with fresh air is to recommend.

bxa121
04-15-2005, 08:02 AM
it sinks to the ground is mostly because of the rubber the baloon is made of :fact:

i stand corrected..
thats what i love bout this forum, everyone keeps everyone else in check.
:woot:

Apocalipsis
04-17-2005, 11:44 AM
No seriosly watch out this is not ethanol, its kinda really extremly disgusting if you drink it or breath it, mostly it even has emetic in it...
And I think that you can get blind if ya drink it, not sure my parents always say that :p:

The alcohol I'm using IS ethanol, the label clearly says "96ยบ Alcohol for mouth use or drink use" dont remember exactly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but ethanol and ethilic alcohol are the same? (not sure if ethilic alcohol is the right word)

sjohnson
04-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Ethyl Alchohol and Ethanol are the same.

charlie
04-18-2005, 09:37 AM
yeah, teh vapor is an irritant. I get a sore throat after a long night of benching, even with open window.

C