PDA

View Full Version : DFI NF4 Ultra/SLi-D BUGS and Fixes Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

trans am
02-04-2005, 02:35 PM
EDIT:
hey, since the dfi nf4 seems to be THE overclockers choice atm there are also many reports about problems with this series of mainboard. this thread is going to be the place to check for updates and fixes and tweaks, and also the place to post if you have problems wit your board. :)
-saaya

here are some tips and tricks:

if your board doesnt boot:
use the safe mode jumper
reset cmos
use memory slots 2 and 4 (orange)
use only one memory slot (2 - orange)
quickly switch the psu power button from on to off several times and try to power it on then
make sure your board is not shorted against the back of the case
try to pin down the problem by using other parts if possible
try other memory
set 3.3v rail feed to vdimm (5v doesnt work with 20 pin psus)

if your board is unstable:
try the latest bios
make sure you didnt set any of the various memory timings too tight (use setup defaults in case your not sure or dont know what the spd timings were)
if your using the 5v rail feed for vdimm increase vdimm, this will stabilize the vdimm output
make sure the board isnt shorted against the back of the case
make sure all your other hardware is working alright
check if you have the same problems at stock settings, set all bios settings to default
try to pin down the problem by using other parts if possible

tips:

the bios will reset much faster when you set the jumper to "reset cmos" and then power your psu off until the leds on the board fade, then power it on until they power on again, repeat this 4 or 5 times and the cmos is usually reset. this way it takes just a couple of seconds, otherwise a cmos reset took me up to 15mins sometimes.

when mounting an xp120 you wont be able to use the first memory slot.
if you have your board lying flat or you have a case that mounts the board upside down you can however mount the heatsink the other way around and you will be able to use the first memory slot. this wont work very well with the case standing if its mounted the niormal way around as the heatpipes cant really work. corsair xl pro memory with led displays will most likely not fit though, even with the xp120 mounted upside down.

it seems theres a weird bug when it comes to coing the fsb with clockgen, 250mhz was unstable for me when i booted with an fsb of 240 or less... but once i booted with 250mhz it was stable and i could reach 280 and higher using clockgen. :)

if you get BSODs or cant boot to windows or have other problems with your ide drives try switching them from master to slave or vice versa and try them on different ide slots, this helped me to get some drives working correctly that were buggy before or caused a bsod for some reason.

check out firedragons dfi nf4 bios guide! (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57952)

DFI NF4 Vcore Table (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=871197#post871197)

trick to get more stable vdimm and get vdimm above 3.2v with a 20pin psu (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61632)

trick to use the Zippy and 850SSI on DFI nF4 (http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65481)

i will go through this thread and look for more tweaks and tricks and bugfixes, if you know one or some please post them here or pm them to me :toast:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, guys. To help the DFI and other members, lets post any bugs or fixes in here. I noticed one already. I tried to go into the bios with TCCD OCZ el4200 and I would get a blinking cursor in the top left side of the screen and it would just hang. Then I rebooted. same thing. I reset the cmos 5 times or so and I was actually in the bios at one point, but then the bios would lock up and I would have to cold boot. So I swapped my VX in and it would work fine and I was able to install winxp. Now, I need to find a way to get this tccd to work. I went on DFI-street and Angrygames said his NF4 DFI doesn't work. LOL! He said to plug the 4 pin molex above the chipset in, I already did that and it didn't matter if it was plugged in or disconnected. I found a beta bios on the DFI beta site dated from FEB. 1, 2005. I currently have the shipping bios with 1/25/2005 date. THis is what the new bios is suppose to fix:

1. LDT default set at 5x.
2. Fixed IR connection failure.
3. Fixed Boot failure when installing certain CL2 memory modules.

Get it here:
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/NF4LD201.zip

***please keep this thread clean and just post problems and fixes. :)***

Just chat with oskar couple minutes ago,
here you guys gotta be aware of.

1. whenever you wanna change hardware, you must completely shut down your psu, certainly the standby switch too.:D
wait for the two orange leds completely off 10 seconds BEFORE you add/remove hardware ; or you might damage your hardware or motherboard.

2.after you flash bios if you are thinking use 5v rail for vdimm extension, you need to set vcore for non-auto setting and save bios then come back into bios, then you can see 4v option. It's probably the 1.25 and 2.01 bios got this circuit protection.

Looks like easy concept, but it's really easy to forget.
any problem we can discuss here.!
Hope it helps.

OPB

trans am
02-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Sorry to double post, but there seems to be an issue on boards that have the bios 1/25/05 installed. read what Angry said:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?p=50237

(quote from Angry_Games when I asked him why his board wasn't working):shrug:
"just doesnt work now. I am not allowed to go into anymore than that . If your board has problems return it via RMA and have it replaced. Latest shipping boards are R.A02 with Feb bios. If your board didnt have this, then you should have it replaced."

quicksilverXP
02-04-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm guessing you may have gotten an engineering sample/beta/ test sample since he said most newer boards are shipped with the February bios. That's too bad... I hope mine doesn't have the same problem when I started messing with it tonight. I ONLY have TCCD memory and I would love to test high HTT limits...

But yeah... sorry for not posting any fixes/problems... I just wanted to respond. I will, however, have this board tonight... so consider this post more of a reserved spot for a bug/fix related issue in the near future.

trans am
02-04-2005, 04:10 PM
I'm guessing you may have gotten an engineering sample/beta/ test sample since he said most newer boards are shipped with the February bios. That's too bad... I hope mine doesn't have the same problem when I started messing with it tonight. I ONLY have TCCD memory and I would love to test high HTT limits...

But yeah... sorry for not posting any fixes/problems... I just wanted to respond. I will, however, have this board tonight... so consider this post more of a reserved spot for a bug/fix related issue in the near future.

If you look on the last pci slot(not the x16 slot), there is a sticker with a barcode and a part no. mine says R.A02 so according to this, I have the good one, but the bios was 1/25/05. Now I'm confused. I flashed to the 2/2/05 beta, and the OCZ TCCD still wouldn't work, but this ram was running fine just a minute ago on the asus A8V-E so I don't think the ram is bad.
Also I noticed not all tccd won't work, So far it's just the double sided ocz el4200+ that was giving me problems. I was able to run the Gskill LA just fine. But these are 2x256 sticks. I turned bank interleave off(since these are 2x256) dram drive strength is on auto and I set data drive strength to 2. Cmd(1t) is enabled. xp90 air cooled with some crappy hot air blowing through lol. I have a 80mm fan on the mosfets.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24051&stc=1

AMDnewbie
02-04-2005, 04:17 PM
well, after rcv my sli-d yesterday. I was having a hard time setting it up...
its a Rev. A01 board w 25/01/2005 bios.

suddenly i had to pump 3.0v for my corsair XMS 3200 XLPT rev 1.2 for 200Mhz @2-2-2-7-1T and my TCCD take it....

The only difference is just an additional cooling fan being installed between this n my GA-K8NF-9 as it was hot on the giga board.

Any voltage less than 3.0v, my tccd would fail super pi w rounding errors...

wonder the vdimm voltage as display by smart guardian is correct or not...

anyone having similar problem w this ? have to depress F10 straight away at bios after using page up/down else cannot change voltage at all....

I touch the heat spreader of the TCCD and it was actually cool !

now i m lost....a calibration error ?

Blindbat
02-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems Trans-Am, but darn when it works, it flies. Looks promissing. Hope all get's fixed quickly for u.

trans am
02-04-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't have smartguardian installed because it used to make me crash on the nf3 ultra dfi. I have a multimeter, but I can't get to the mosfets since there are sinks on them and I don't know where to find my vdimm with it. Does anyone know? right now tccd is at 3.1v and the 2/2/05 bios only has vdimm up to 3.2v I thought this thing rocked up to 4v?

quicksilverXP
02-04-2005, 04:23 PM
You have to enable it by switching to 5v... there should be a jumper for it somewhere... but be warned of the heat that th emosfets will give out and make sure to actively cool them.

I wonder why you need such high vdimm for TCCD though.... OnePageBook said he needed only 2.65

trans am
02-04-2005, 04:24 PM
You have to enable it by switching to 5v... there should be a jumper for it somewhere... but be warned of the heat that th emosfets will give out and make sure to actively cool them.

thanks quick. I will try that. I have plenty of fans to throw on here. no problemo. :toast:

OPB has tccd from week 37 I think. Week 37 runs great with low volts, I have week 40 and it seems max stable at 3.1 any lower or any higher = errors in mem86

Blindbat
02-04-2005, 04:59 PM
As part of the FIX solution I hope, allow me to contribute the following:

Seems no in depth manual was shipped with the board, although I have posted this link in other threads, it might be appropriate for those with questions about functionalities and what not , to go grab this manual:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/nf4sliultra%20847205042.pdf

As it pertains to the final motherboard delivered to the market place, on the last PCI slot there should be a sticker on it. There appears to be 3 versions of the final 'non beta' board which have been delivered to the market place.
Those are identified as versions: R.A00 - R.A01 - R.A02 ~ at this time what is the difference between these 3 boards is unknowned but all 3 are claimed to be final boards and should be working. However the following comments and suggestions is being presented by Angry_Games tech support for DFI, on this specific topic:

i dont have any information on the differences. Boards shipped in USA/CDN are R.A02. That is the only information I can give you. If you receive a board that is not R.A02, and are unhappy with it, or it is defective, or just want the latest, ship it back to DFI and they will modify it to R.A02 or replace it.
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50022&postcount=2

Also note that nVidia was to released today a new nforce 4 driver, I have posted in the AMD forum about this earlier today. That might resolve some other issue that could come up and not related to a board/bios issue, however I still cannot find the new driver which is suppose to be 6.39 in an offical matter (not posted on their site that I can see).

However take a peek here:

ftp://download1.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/standalone/6.39/

Edit: 02/04/05

This just in :http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52268

I hope all this helps a little bit.

Anakin_Skywalke
02-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Sorry to double post, but there seems to be an issue on boards that have the bios 1/25/05 installed. read what Angry said:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?p=50237

(quote from Angry_Games when I asked him why his board wasn't working):shrug:
"just doesnt work now. I am not allowed to go into anymore than that . If your board has problems return it via RMA and have it replaced. Latest shipping boards are R.A02 with Feb bios. If your board didnt have this, then you should have it replaced."

First of all I'd like to make clear that the R.A02 boards do have the the 25/1 bios just like R.A01 boards. Now, my board is a R.A00 one and it came with the 19/1 bios, which I have flashed to the latest one, 2.01. What I came to understand is that they are ALL final boards with the "latest" changes, although some of them came out first,etc.

trans am
02-04-2005, 05:45 PM
there is only one hardware revision in all nf4 model , the difference is bios , due to we have found some issue from some user in our prouction , we change the bios twice , so just update the bios is all the user need to do ... please do not let user to get confused

looks like all we need to do is reflash, hopefully my issues with the dual sided TCCD will have a fix. If anyone has 2x512 tccd, please test and see if you get these issues as well.

RGone
02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
TCCD OCZ el4200 Is the exact stuff AG was using at 8x310 with air-cooled 3200 winchester. He had it a little while though and it may well be one of those tCCd chips change things. I think as well he only had to put 2.9V on his memory.

RGone...

Sephir0th
02-04-2005, 06:12 PM
any tips on what options/switches to use when flashing the bios? ive been flashing bios' on my nf7-s in windows so havnt done a dos flash in ages.
as i understand it theres a whole bunch of options for awdflash.exe you're supposed to use?

|SiLA|
02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
i have the A00 of the mobo (I'm from rome italy) :D came with 119 bios..ah the sli-dr :)
works fine here running the 3000 winnie at 2700mhz just with 1,5vcore RS 3Ds hours of UT never a crash it's an OC heaven but now I have this prob of the audio..forgot to install the realtek drivers came with the cd, couldn't use spdif nor the optical thru frontx but now got it enabled after i've installed the drivers but i have these 2 problems

1) sometimes I hear some scratches(like on dfi nf3)

2)got the optical plugged into my pro home theater but the signal ain't digital, how come?I'm using the optical :confused: and there's no option like on soundstorm if to use digitalized signals but there's some option on realtek proggie under SPDIF Tab

No Output
Output Digital Only
Output Digital And Analog

tried em all keep getting analog signals :(

cheers

silver

Anakin_Skywalke
02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
any tips on what options/switches to use when flashing the bios? ive been flashing bios' on my nf7-s in windows so havnt done a dos flash in ages.
as i understand it theres a whole bunch of options for awdflash.exe you're supposed to use?

Just use winflash, it's much better in any case ;)

|SiLA|
02-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Just use winflash, it's much better in any case ;)
i agree :D

matt9669
02-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Seph, the manual might help, haven't looked through it thoroughly but it couldn't hurt. I wanted to post a local link to it anyway as access to it on DFI's server is SLOOOW :rolleyes:

You guys might want to keep this link handy somehow, I'll be updating the manual regularly and prolly hosting it for some time . . .

http://www.mattoverclocked.com/dfi_nf4.pdf

EDIT: Also, as far as bugs go, this would be an important one: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52090 - anyone that does any testing, let us know, cooling/chip stepping etc.

trans am
02-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Update, I was able to get the el4200 to work. It was a simple as unplugging the power cord from the psu for a few minutes and then it worked fine.(thanks oskar and OPB.) but my VX is having problems. I used to run it at 264mhz now it only runs around 255. :( If anyone has some tried and true vx settings for this bad dog, let us know.
also my vx is doing best with 3.1-3.2v anything higher=errors!!! I wonder if this board has better voltage efficiency? My setting are:
2-2-6-2 cmd enabled, all other timings on auto. dram drive strength auto, data drive strength level1, bank interleave is enabled, chipset voltage 1.8v, htt link voltage 1.5, vdimm 3.2, cpu vcore is 1.425x123%

My vx was in the single channel DFI 754 before, at 3.5v and 264 was mem86 stable. Is there any hope to get this back up to 264?

P_1
02-04-2005, 08:30 PM
any news on cpu test and memtest?

saaya
02-04-2005, 09:02 PM
stuck :)

keep up the good work trans_am :toast:

AMDnewbie
02-04-2005, 09:20 PM
now corsair 1 GB XMS 3200 XLPT running at normal voltage after flashing to latest bios 010205.still yet to test its overclockability since the previous bios don't allow me to do so......

GRAFiZ
02-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Update, I was able to get the el4200 to work. It was a simple as unplugging the power cord from the psu for a few minutes and then it worked fine.(thanks oskar and OPB.) but my VX is having problems. I used to run it at 264mhz now it only runs around 255. :( If anyone has some tried and true vx settings for this bad dog, let us know.
also my vx is doing best with 3.1-3.2v anything higher=errors!!! I wonder if this board has better voltage efficiency? My setting are:
2-2-6-2 cmd enabled, all other timings on auto. dram drive strength auto, data drive strength level1, bank interleave is enabled, chipset voltage 1.8v, htt link voltage 1.5, vdimm 3.2, cpu vcore is 1.425x123%

My vx was in the single channel DFI 754 before, at 3.5v and 264 was mem86 stable. Is there any hope to get this back up to 264?

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but you were running at 264mhz in single channel, right?

Now you're at 255mhz dual channel?

I'm pretty sure running dual channel puts more stress on the chipset and will decrease overclocking by some amount. Am I wrong?

gigi77
02-05-2005, 12:51 AM
My DFI & Geil Ultra-X pc3200 rev. A00 bios 25.01.05

http://img97.exs.cx/img97/1838/geil3258mx.gif

http://img97.exs.cx/img97/1838/geil3258mx.gif

luigi

bito
02-05-2005, 04:20 AM
This from the DFI forums......

"OSKAR][一 二 三 準備跳樓了 !!!] says:
there is only one hardware revision in all nf4 model , the difference is bios , due to we have found some issue from some user in our prouction , we change the bios twice , so just update the bios is all the user need to do ... please do not let user to get confused"

So looks like the retail boards are all final revisions with the changes.

goddh0r
02-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Small Bug:

With my Winchester 3200+ and Multiplier 10 i cant use ddr333 divider with my GeiL TCCD, my sata devices arent detected anymore and system constantly reboots at that point where its normally backupping cmos before booting windows. problem persists with newest beta bios but vanishes when using a different multiplier like 9x.

btomasie
02-05-2005, 08:28 AM
I'd like to share my current issues and also ask a question since the manual says NOTHING about it...

First my question:
- I have the Ultra-D board, and it has the 24-pin ATX connector, the 4-pin square one, and then it also has the FDD connector by the PCIe slots, and then the HDD connector near the nForce4 chip/fan. Is it REQUIRED to have connectors plugged into the FDD and HDD connectors to get this board to run stable? Unless I am blind, the manual only references these 2 connections but doesn't specify if/when you need to have power going into them. Thanks!

On to my problem.... I'm having major stability issues right now. My board is a R.A02 with the 1/25 BIOS. I have 2x512 VX RAM, and the board only recognizes it as 3-3-3-8. The stability issue varies and comes up within Safe Mode and Normal, and sometimes reboots itself as it's trying to load the Windows startup screen, and sometimes as the system is in XP and loading all my startup stuff. I have gone into the BIOS and manually switched the CAS to 2.0, and I also went ahead and bumped the voltage to 2.8v. I still have the board setting to use the normal RAM voltage (haven't done the 4.0v thing).

It looks like I'll try this beta BIOS right now and see if that helps. Will report back.

Thanks,
Brian

apu673
02-05-2005, 08:51 AM
I was one of the few that ordered the DFI NF4 Ultra from ZZF Feb 1st. So pretty much if you have the A02 version and 1/25/05 bios, it should work fine, but for overclocking you need to flash to the 2/1/05 bios? BTW I have 2x256mb dimms, so they're not double sidded. I think if you have the 1/25/05 bios you will have trouble with double sidded 2x512 dimms.

On another note do we have to connect both 4-pin 5V/12V power connectors (FDD-type and HDD type) and what are they for? Same question as ^

googles
02-05-2005, 08:54 AM
are you setting mem timing via spd? the vx needs like 3.2v to reach cas2 timings...

btomasie
02-05-2005, 09:00 AM
googles,

I was curious on that too, and so per OCZ's website:

400MHz DDR1
CL 2-3-3-8 at 2.6V
CL 2-2-2-8 at 3.2V
(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)

So it "should" come up as 2-3-3-8 as-is.

Updating BIOS as I type (I'm on my laptop). So we'll see if this clears it up.

Thanks,
Brian

apu673
02-05-2005, 09:12 AM
It looks like the 4-pin 5V/12V power connectors (FDD-type and HDD type) need to be connected only when using 2 video cards for better stability, can anyone confirm that?

xs64
02-05-2005, 09:17 AM
It looks like the 4-pin 5V/12V power connectors (FDD-type and HDD type) need to be connected only when using 2 video cards for better stability, can anyone confirm that?
Yep , when i dont plug the 5V/12V , i cant oc my 3200+ @ 2.7Ghz ( running 6600GT SLI with a Enermax 460W 20pin PSU )

apu673
02-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Wow how are you running a 2.7ghz oc and SLI with a 20-pin PSU?

xs64
02-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Wow how are you running a 2.7ghz oc and SLI with a 20-pin PSU?
Just stable superPI , 3Dmark , games ect .... but cant stable prime , i think my Winni 3200+ is weak , but the mobo and the PSU still rock :D , and my 6600GT 're running 540/1150

I tried to unplug the 5V.12V connectors , my CPU cant even boot in Windows :mad:

So now everything seems ok :D , just plug all the connectors and start oc :toast:

OPPAINTER
02-05-2005, 09:34 AM
I got me a Ultra, A02, came with the 1/25 bios.
Works great with my FX55 and VX (DS) memory. Runs 3d with my VX at 270MHz 2-2-2-5, 3.7V.

I have no problems with the 1/25 bios and my components.

OPP

apu673
02-05-2005, 09:36 AM
What dimm slots are best for dualchannel overclocking?

xs64
02-05-2005, 09:42 AM
And i have one problem with my Adata pc4800 2x256Mbs ( all bioses ) non ocing here

In Ram slot 1 and 3 , the boot screen appears : please get 1 ram in slot2 for single channel and slots 2 and 4 for dual channel ......
Running in slots 2 and 4 is rock , slots 1 and 3 are no work for me

:confused: :confused:

OPPAINTER
02-05-2005, 09:56 AM
What dimm slots are best for dualchannel overclocking?
I've been useing the orange ones:D

OPP

OPPAINTER
02-05-2005, 09:59 AM
And i have one problem with my Adata pc4800 2x256Mbs ( all bioses ) non ocing here

In Ram slot 1 and 3 , the boot screen appears : please get 1 ram in slot2 for single channel and slots 2 and 4 for dual channel ......

:confused: :confused:

Yea I wish they would get rid of that Notice at bootup, thats the reason I havn't really played much with those slots.

OPP

xgman
02-05-2005, 10:25 AM

retail boards so far are NOT all shipping with Feb bios. Maybe the next batch, but only a few so far. They actually sent me an Eng Sample with the Feb bios by mistake.

cantankerous
02-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi guys,

My VX shows up as 3-3-3-8 as well on my NF2 board if I load optimized defaults. Manually changing the values to 2-2-2-11 work fine however.

Jupiler
02-05-2005, 12:43 PM
OPP :

what PSU are you using?

v3n
02-05-2005, 01:08 PM
is it possible to control the fan RPM on the northbridge cooler as i run a quiet ship :)

trans am
02-05-2005, 02:23 PM
I got me a Ultra, A02, came with the 1/25 bios.
Works great with my FX55 and VX (DS) memory. Runs 3d with my VX at 270MHz 2-2-2-5, 3.7V.

I have no problems with the 1/25 bios and my components.

OPP

opp I want your VX settings for this board. you're getting like 15mhz over mine. I know these can go higher, even in dual channel. Help a brother out.

Blindbat
02-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I'd like to share my current issues and also ask a question since the manual says NOTHING about it...

First my question:
- I have the Ultra-D board, and it has the 24-pin ATX connector, the 4-pin square one, and then it also has the FDD connector by the PCIe slots, and then the HDD connector near the nForce4 chip/fan. Is it REQUIRED to have connectors plugged into the FDD and HDD connectors to get this board to run stable? Unless I am blind, the manual only references these 2 connections but doesn't specify if/when you need to have power going into them. Thanks!

Thanks,
Brian

Section 2 page 58 of the pdf manual for which I provided a download link in previous page:

Use a power supply that complies with the ATX12V Power Supply
Design Guide Version 1.1. An ATX12V power supply has a standard
24-pin ATX main power connector and a 4-pin +12V power
connector that must be inserted onto CN10 and CN9 connectors
respectively.
The 4-pin +12V power connector enables the delivery of more
+12VDC current to the processor’s Voltage Regulator Module
(VRM).
The HDD-type and FDD-type power connectors are additional
power connectors. If you are using two graphics cards, we
recommend that you plug power cables from your power supply
unit into the two 5V/12V power connectors. This will provide more
stability to the entire system. The system board will still work even if
the additional power connectors are not connected.

matt9669
02-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Use the link to the PDF manual on my server, it's waaay faster:

http://www.mattoverclocked.com/dfi_nf4.pdf

Sgt_Strider
02-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Trans, is it possible the DFI boards have issues with TCCD rams? my Patriot TCCD is giving me trouble when I install Windows with some files not copying over to the hard drive. Also I made a mistake initially plugging in the power LED and the HDD Led front connectors. Is it possible that I damaged it and that's why the LED's aren't on even though the CPU and the HDD is connected?

ominae
02-05-2005, 08:24 PM
yes, please share memory settings for VX & TCCD (although OPP has posted screenies of his TCCD settings) :)

Sgt_Strider
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
yes, please share memory settings for VX & TCCD (although OPP has posted screenies of his TCCD settings) :)

Everything is on Auto and I disabled Bank interleave.

Edit: When the computer boots up, the screen displays my timing as 1T even though I set everything to Auto. Could that be the reason why? How do I get rid of 1T and make it less aggressive to ensure stability?

Orker
02-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Whenever i reboot the comp i get at warning message on how to install the ram in dimm 2 and 4 slots... f1 to continue del to enter bios... how do i stop this from showing up

Lidocaine
02-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Trans, is it possible the DFI boards have issues with TCCD rams? my Patriot TCCD is giving me trouble when I install Windows with some files not copying over to the hard drive. Also I made a mistake initially plugging in the power LED and the HDD Led front connectors. Is it possible that I damaged it and that's why the LED's aren't on even though the CPU and the HDD is connected?

Try turning the little connectors upside down on the pins. This worked for me.....I had this same experience with my Neo2 boards...........and this DFI board.

quicksilverXP
02-05-2005, 09:53 PM
I have restart problems everytime I use the 4v option. Can't seem to get it stable. Anyone else have any luck using the 4v option and some OCZ VXs?

Orker
02-05-2005, 10:24 PM
No more problem with ram .. It appears it doesnt like the yellow dimms

Blue078
02-05-2005, 10:29 PM

I cant get my 2x512 of PDP TCCD's to do 260 in this board, they were fine @275 in the NEO2. ????

I've been trying since 6:00 this evening and cant make them pass even 1 memtest run..

Stuck in some ram with Hynix chips and it good to go....

Sgt_Strider
02-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I cant get my 2x512 of PDP TCCD's to do 260 in this board, they were fine @275 in the NEO2. ????

I've been trying since 6:00 this evening and cant make them pass even 1 memtest run..

Stuck in some ram with Hynix chips and it good to go....

Hopefully, DFI release a new patch that will fix the TCCD issues. I thought their latest revision fix that? Well, at least I can get Windows installed and surf the internet and stuff. I'm kinda iffy with using beta BIOS after my nightmare with the Asus A8N-SLI's beta BIOSES. Basically their beta bios caused the board to no longer detect my hard drive. It was a pain in the ass to get everything reinstall.

Jimi...
02-05-2005, 10:50 PM
You might be able to get your RAM working properly by tweaking the individual settings.

Here's (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=257741) a good guide to RAM overclocking.

jikdoc
02-05-2005, 11:06 PM
I have restart problems everytime I use the 4v option. Can't seem to get it stable. Anyone else have any luck using the 4v option and some OCZ VXs?

i have post problems with 4v option. board won't post when the jumpers are in the 4v config. using a zippy6701. opb told me he's having the same problem with his zippy and this board, something to do with the 5v sense line.

quicksilverXP
02-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Yeah... I know what you mean. Sometimes it posts, sometimes it doesn't... but most of the time it doesn't. But if it does... I can get to windows and run Prime fine... but then when I want to restart it will not post again... it's getting annoying.

ominae
02-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Everything is on Auto and I disabled Bank interleave.

Edit: When the computer boots up, the screen displays my timing as 1T even though I set everything to Auto. Could that be the reason why? How do I get rid of 1T and make it less aggressive to ensure stability?

yo, I thought enabling bank interleave increases performance?

ViperJohn
02-06-2005, 02:27 AM

First my question:

Brian

The info on the connectors is on page 56 of the PDF manual on the DFI CD. If your CD
doesn't have the PDF manual D/L it from DFI.

Viper

D_o_S
02-06-2005, 04:17 AM
How do I know which PSU works with this mobo?

Orker
02-06-2005, 04:44 AM
I have had everything setup for a couple of hours now and was playing css fine

Now when i play it, the screen violently shakes

EDIT: some good news.. it only happens with css.. so its definately a software issue

cupra
02-06-2005, 04:53 AM
have week 40 and it seems max stable at 3.1 any lower or any higher = errors in mem86

i cant work with memtest86 right, its dont recognize the nf4 chipset so i cant
see the mhz and the timing of my memory.
i tray the ocz memtest and the last memtest86.
in which memtest86 you use for your tests trans am ?
and its work fine?

edit : and same as opp my fx-55 and my vx works fine with the sli-dr r.01 25/1/05 bios

HARDCORECLOCKER
02-06-2005, 05:13 AM
i cant work with memtest86 right, its dont recognize the nf4 chipset so i cant
see the mhz and the timing of my memory.
i tray the ocz memtest and the last memtest86.
in which memtest86 you use for your tests trans am ?
and its work fine?

edit : and same as opp my fx-55 and my vx works fine with the sli-dr r.01 25/1/05 bios

:D In my opinion forget memtest. I tried several hours to get the max stable settings with memtest - then was very lucky to found some and in the end the rig didn't boot at all......... :(

:toast:

Anakin_Skywalke
02-06-2005, 05:56 AM
:D In my opinion forget memtest. I tried several hours to get the max stable settings with memtest - then was very lucky to found some and in the end the rig didn't boot at all......... :(

As the name of the test implies, it is JUST a memory test to see whether the modules will be up to the voltage and/or mhz. It does not strain the processor or other parts of the board. It CAN be used though to know which are the max memory timings and frequency for your memory. Please use it accordingly and don't expect it to be a panacea.

HermS
02-06-2005, 06:47 AM
I was having some bad issues with the 25/01 bios. No matter what I did the rig would not boot with any kind of memory overclock, it kept hanging at the NV bootagent and the SATA drives weren't showing up at all. It was strange as when I booted at stock settings and clocked it up with clockgen it displayed no stability issues whatsoever. Anyways to cut a long story short I flashed to the 01/02 bios and the boot issues magically disappeared.

joe2004
02-06-2005, 06:49 AM
As the name of the test implies, it is JUST a memory test to see whether the modules will be up to the voltage and/or mhz. It does not strain the processor or other parts of the board. It CAN be used though to know which are the max memory timings and frequency for your memory. Please use it accordingly and don't expect it to be a panacea.

It is not just a memory test, it is also a processor cache test. This is the best test around for memory and if you have problems/errors with this test, your memory/CPU subsystem does not work properly, that is all.

mikead_99
02-06-2005, 07:46 AM

I've found on several platforms now that once I get my mem to pass memtest86+, it may still need a bit more voltage/tweaking to get stable in Windows. It is OK to get a "feel good" before going into Windows, but it ain't the be all/end all test either.

Wingz
02-06-2005, 07:54 AM
it be good if someone can use a multimeter to measure the true vdimm voltage and see if it under/over volts.

HARDCORECLOCKER
02-06-2005, 08:03 AM
I've found on several platforms now that once I get my mem to pass memtest86+, it may still need a bit more voltage/tweaking to get stable in Windows. It is OK to get a "feel good" before going into Windows, but it ain't the be all/end all test either.

:D Yep - that's exactly what I tried to say - had better experiences for stability test in Windows by using SuperPi. :toast:

eva2000
02-06-2005, 08:14 AM
that's what memtest is for - initial testing.. b4 going into windows for more testing :)

SVTSnake
02-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Got my board installed yesterday, went through several MAJOR curse out battles, pissed the wife off until she finally left to go out, and finally calmed down.

My board came from Hong Kong as a good friend of mine was on a business trip there. Not having a complete printed manual, my 1st question was rather or not we had to plug in the 12v FDD and HDD connectors to the board. A quick posting to the site referred me to the DFI online manual. After reading it, I went ahead and plugged in the extra 2 power connectors even though I am using the ATI X850XT PE. I figure if it is going to help system stability with SLi, then it might help flatten out the voltage in normal mode. So far, its running great, after of course going through the headaches below...

At 1st power up, I almost had a heart attack. The screen turned on, saw the pretty but useless LanParty boot screen, didn't go any further, and the fans didn't sound right, so I looked down and noticed not only the rear case 120mm fan not spinning, but the CPU fan not spinning as well :slobber: Immediately pulled the power thinking that the CPU was toast. Check all the cables, everything was fine, turned back on the system, and then the CPU fan spun :cussing: After about the 3rd lockup at the bios post screen, I was finally able to get in. My board shipped with the 01/25/05 bios. Using OPB's settings, I was able to boot, but it locked up after the IRQ listings. I was only giving my TCCD 2.7v as thats all it needed on the Neo2. I remembered reading a post Friday night from someone saying he needed 3.1 volts to get his TCCD to boot, so I changed the voltage to 3.1v and voila, I was able to pass Memtest at 300 2.5/4/7/4 (Memtest ran for over an hour with no errors on test #5). Of course my crappy 3500+ wasn't up to the par for running @ 300 :dammit: The one thing that kept bothering me was I kept getting lockups at the bios post screen right after it identified the CPU. Flashed the bios to 1/26, same problem, flashed to 2/01, same thing, I was like DOH! Finally, I unplugged my USB Logitech Momo Force Feedback steering wheel, and the lockups disappeared. Never had this problem before on ANY other mobo. That was a major pain trying to solve. Got Windows installed, installed SP2, installed the 6.39 nForce drivers, and noticed that my nForce network controller wasn't working? I had it turned on in the bios, the driver was loaded, Active Armor was running, just no internet connection. This is a 1st, but you have to MANUALLY enter in the MAC address from the sticker on the enet port in the bios. Once I did that, it works like a charm. Now why doesn't DFI just do that autimatically in the bios? Every other vendor I have ever used, I have never had to enter in the MAC LAN address. Oh well!

I could never get my 3500+ to be stable enough for Prime on this setup no matter what voltage I used, so for good laughs, I threw back in my 3000+ that would only do 280 on my Neo2 @ 1.65v. She is chugging along right now at 290 @ 1.552v, Prime stable overnight! May try for the magic 300 later today, but I am kinda exhausted after all the troubles yesterday brought. Out of all the systems I have ever built (100+), this is by far the 1 that caused me the most headaches. However, in all due to DFI's defence, we are the pioneers of their Socket939 adventure, and they have giving us what everyone else wouldn't in terms of overclockability and settings. Now that the boards are out, and they can be run with all the various hardware out there, it will hopefully be easier for them to fix the quirks.

I am still stumped on the voltage required to run the TCCD? Most 437 Samsung chips like low volts, as was the case with my Neo2. Using 3.1 volts on them, they are still cool to the touch, as well as the mofsets around them. If I go under 3.1 volts, the board locks after the IRQ boot screen. And yes, my 5v jumper is in the stock position for 3.2v max. For those having TCCD boot issues, try changing your voltage to 3.1v and see if it helps with the post lockups. Also, try unplugging your USB periphs. Like me, my Logitech Momo steering wheel caused hard lockups during post. I have tried setting the USB jumpers onboard to both +5v and +5vsb with the same result.

Using OPB's memory settings from this thread. (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52000)

For everyone out there going in the unchartered waters with the DFI, here's one to ya :toast: In all, once you get it setup, its a really nice rig!

SVTSnake
02-06-2005, 08:22 AM
It is not just a memory test, it is also a processor cache test. This is the best test around for memory and if you have problems/errors with this test, your memory/CPU subsystem does not work properly, that is all.

I would NEVER use Memtest as a end of all true stability test! DOS does not stress out the cpu enough, even if it is using the cache controller on the CPU. With my 3500+, I could Memtest @ 275 with the 11x multiplier, but as soon as I went to boot WinXP, the system would reboot. This was after running Memtest over 4 hours using tests 5 & 6.

Use Memtest to find the MAX of your memory. Lower your multipler down to 5 or 6, then crank up the HTT til you start getting errors in test 5 or 6. Keep adjusting memory settings until you find MAX stable memory.

scottk
02-06-2005, 09:05 AM
that's what memtest is for - initial testing.. b4 going into windows for more testing :)

Yep, if it'll pass all tests 1-7 and survive test #5 looping, it's usually good enough for a clean boot and shutdown. A good way to avoid trashing your OS install. I usually have to back down 4 - 5 notches on FSB/HTT from "memtest-stable" to stabilize in P95 and 3D01.

Blue078
02-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Does any one know yet why it takes 3.1vdimm to get TCCD's to clock on this board ??

I have some PDP with XBL and it ran just fine in the NEO 2 on 2.7v
But couldnt get the ram to 260 on 2.7 even with OPB settings on the SLI-DR
After reading you guys posts about haveing to use 3.1V :eek: I caved in and tried it, and at least memtest is runing now.

Strange ?

eva2000
02-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Blue078, not the first report of this - seems this board needs 0.1-0.3v more vdimm for ram to run what it normally runs for some reason ?

anyone else experience this ?

Blue078
02-06-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm not haveing any problems with Ballistix 4000 {micron} or OCZ Gold 4000 {hynix} they are runing at the same voltages and timings as on the NEO2.

It's just the PDP with XBL....they clocked super great on the NEO2 and in my single channel UT250-GB with only 2.7v

I thought this board was tweeked for TCCD :confused:

OPPAINTER
02-06-2005, 09:25 AM
OPP :

what PSU are you using?
I use OCZ 520W.

OPP

OPPAINTER
02-06-2005, 09:27 AM
opp I want your VX settings for this board. you're getting like 15mhz over mine. I know these can go higher, even in dual channel. Help a brother out.
I'll take a screeny later today of my A64 Tweak settings.

OPP

trans am
02-06-2005, 09:39 AM
I'll take a screeny later today of my A64 Tweak settings.

OPP

Thanks, what about dram drive strength and data drive strength values? Those always confuse me. Is it like cas where your lower numeric value is stressed more? or does drive strength get weaker as the value increases?

OPPAINTER
02-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks, what about dram drive strength and data drive strength values? Those always confuse me. Is it like cas where your lower numeric value is stressed more? or does drive strength get weaker as the value increases?
I'll try and take some pictures of my BIOS settings.

OPP

flexy
02-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Got my board installed yesterday, went through several MAJOR curse out battles
[...]

i dont want to sound like a dumba$$, but who installs a new system with exotic hardware like USB wheels plugged in ?

The first rule is that IF ANY PROBLEMS run the system with as few components as possible (even including disabling onboard components) and then, step by step, enable devices, plug in pci-cards etc.

AFTER THE SYSTEM IS UP AND RUNNING

ALSO...this is an interesting thread and i didnt follow THIS particular one.....can someone compile a FAQ or something more compact with all the issues and fixes so people do not have to go through the whole thread ?!

thanks !

(Btw. i didnt even know we HAD such major issues...especially i was assuming this board LOVES TCCD as everyone says.....now all of a sudden people claim issues with TCCD sticks ?)

HARDCORECLOCKER
02-06-2005, 02:52 PM
i dont want to sound like a dumba$$, but who installs a new system with exotic hardware like USB wheels plugged in ?

The first rule is that IF ANY PROBLEMS run the system with as few components as possible (even including disabling onboard components) and then, step by step, enable devices, plug in pci-cards etc.

AFTER THE SYSTEM IS UP AND RUNNING

ALSO...this is an interesting thread and i didnt follow THIS particular one.....can someone compile a FAQ or something more compact with all the issues and fixes so people do not have to go through the whole thread ?!

thanks !

(Btw. i didnt even know we HAD such major issues...especially i was assuming this board LOVES TCCD as everyone says.....now all of a sudden people claim issues with TCCD sticks ?)

:D Now many poeple posted they had the issue with TCCD caused by using not enough Vdimm, 2,6 or so. 2,8 works fine and someone posted that the DFI even will have a bit more Vdimm than other boards.

BTW I can not understand people set the Vdimm to AUTO or 2,6 and expect a fine running system, many RAM brands require especally in DC 2,8 and maybe Oced 2.9 or more so it's always a good idea to start with 2,9 - will not damage anything and when all is running fine You can try to lower it a little.

googles
02-06-2005, 03:18 PM
has anyone measured with dmm what voltages are being passed when they fix instability with more vdimm for tccd

where do you measure vdimm on this board?

xgman
02-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Blue078, not the first report of this - seems this board needs 0.1-0.3v more vdimm for ram to run what it normally runs for some reason ?

anyone else experience this ?

I have 2x512 tccd running at 2.87v at 300HTT 1-1 2.5-3-3-7-1T on a beta SLI version. Also bios 0201. I can't figure out why Blue's tccd aren't getting along there.

Blue078
02-06-2005, 04:13 PM
I have 2x512 tccd running at 2.87v at 300HTT 1-1 2.5-3-3-7-1T on a beta SLI version. Also bios 0201. I can't figure out why Blue's tccd aren't getting along there.

Neither can Blue :D

BeachKEN
02-06-2005, 04:37 PM
I´ve got different problems:
When I´m listing DRAM Voltage options and confirm 2.9V or higher accepting it by Enter, it allways jumps back to 2.6V, but when using +/-, everything is fine.
Another one, setting the Vcore to 1.55V, it always gives me 1.5V, some bug in the BIOS ??? (Voltages in Enermax PSU excellent)

My Mushkin LVLII V2 with TCCD dont like more than 260 at CL2.5 4-4-11 1T at 2.8V more voltage doesn´t help at all. WTF??? I thought, this board loves TCCD´s :stick:

AMDnewbie
02-06-2005, 04:46 PM
I´ve got different problems:
When I´m listing DRAM Voltage options and confirm 2.9V or higher accepting it by Enter, it allways jumps back to 2.6V, but when using +/-, everything is fine.
Another one, setting the Vcore to 1.55V, it always gives me 1.5V, some bug in the BIOS ??? (Voltages in Enermax PSU excellent)

My Mushkin LVLII V2 with TCCD dont like more than 260 at CL2.5 4-4-11 1T at 2.8V more voltage doesn´t help at all. WTF??? I thought, this board loves TCCD´s :stick:

For bios 0125, pls select your vdimm using page up/down and F10 save and quit directly. Don't go and set other things....doing this would save the vdimm...don't even press enter too......its solve on the latest beta bios....

AMDnewbie
02-06-2005, 04:54 PM
ok guys, I had spend more than 4 hours trying different settings for my tccd at cl 2.5 with various settings and tweaking . Various clear cmos settings too...

everytime I tweak alittle, evey time I memtest it with #8 to ensure it is ok because #5 would show normal....

This pair of corsair proved to hit 275 on K8NF-9 but at this board cannot scale even 240 no matter what i try...vdimm, drive strength...whatever can set also try....

the problem is the "bank interleave", by disable it, I can memtest pass #8 with no errors up to 270....

thats the infor...I don't know why for my corsair pairs with cl2.5 over here..

no problem w twinmos sp up to 250Mhz on 3.2v @ 2-2-2-7-1T w bank interleave

maybe that is the problem w some tccd sticks..it just don't like some tccd w cl 2.5..........

ha....tire but adventurous...hope the bios issue can be resolve soon..

split
02-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Seeing as you have stickied this, thought I might gather some info for the thread regarding the XP-120 (http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_xp120.htm).

Seems it fits depending on orientation, and some thought must be given to ram height.

With pipes facing the gfx:
All 4 slots usable, though max ram height is about 40mm, are your modules taller you just can't fit them under there. And if your rams are taller then about 32mm you can't mount them after HS is mounted, and due to the way the HS is mounted (you tip it over towards the slots to get those hooks in the holder) it's going to be quite hard to mount it when rams are already in slots.

Pros: All 4 slots can be populated
Cons: Max ram height is 40mm for slot 3 & 4

With pipes facing the slots:
Slot 1-3 can now be populated with ram with any height. But HS is going to be close to the gfx which could lead to problem with some third parts cooling for gfx. And slot 4 cannot hold any ram, not even low profile.

Pros: slot 3 can now hold high ram modules
Cons: Slot 4 cannot hold any module at all and HS is very close to gfx.

Blue078
02-06-2005, 07:44 PM
split is that PDP with XBL memory you have in that board ???

split
02-06-2005, 07:49 PM
split is that PDP with XBL memory you have in that board ???

I dunno mate as it's not mine :(
I gathered it all from over here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50963&page=2&pp=25&highlight=xp-120).

I see it being asked on several forums, and now it's in a sticky :)

flexy
02-06-2005, 08:17 PM
XP-120:
Problem is we NEED to install two modules in 2 and 4 since these slots give best performance and 1/3 are either flakey or dont work at all.

My two OCZ rev2 are exactly 30mm btw.

So, it comes really down to the question:

* ) Install XP-120 first ???
* ) Install mem first (in dimm2 and 4) ???

What would be the bigger problem with the modules exactly 30mm tall (like the OCZ rev2s) ?

How did others do the procedure ?

googles
02-06-2005, 09:44 PM
does anyone know if the xp-90 fits without any problems?

looking at side-by-side comparisons betw the xp-120 and xp-90, it looks to me that even the xp-90 will hover over the mem slot...

can anyone confirm? coz i need to make a purchase soon

underpar
02-06-2005, 10:38 PM
does anyone know if the xp-90 fits without any problems?

looking at side-by-side comparisons betw the xp-120 and xp-90, it looks to me that even the xp-90 will hover over the mem slot...

can anyone confirm? coz i need to make a purchase soon

^^ same boat...thinking of getting an XP-90

andyOCZ
02-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Hey guys,

How has anyone been able to run SLI mode on the Ultra-D without the SLI bridge between the 2 cards. It does not ship with one. Maybe I'm missing something here?

ominae
02-06-2005, 11:47 PM
you need the sli bridge. A bridge design might come out in time - OR you can contact DFi and ask them to ship you one, because you "lost" your bridge :P :toast:

andyOCZ
02-07-2005, 12:09 AM
LOL, Thanks. Makes the board a bit pricey for a useless SLI option. ;)

mrlobber
02-07-2005, 12:29 AM
A thing to test for all who are using any kind of high-voltage loving memory (BH-5, BH-6, maybe also CH-5, Twinmos UTT, OCZ VX et al) - well, except maybe for the very big guys (OPP, OPB), as for them it's running fine anyway :D

I'd like to know how your memory behaves in memtest test #5 IF using 3.5 Vdimm or more (which, of course, is derived from the 5v rail).

What I have observed with my BH-5 kit and OCZ VX as well, as soon as I up the Vdimm to 3.5v or more in bios, and loop memtest test #5 for a few loops (10 is enough, you can see it then), memory starts showing memtest errors EXACTLY AT THE SAME MEMORY ADDRESS all the time. Usually if memory is not memtest stable, it usually throws out errors at various addresses (maybe in the same range but almost never in the same address, as one chip on the memory is failing, and it is usually the size of 64 Mb now). Moreover, this happens also (my VX is memtest stable up to 262 htt 1:1) on lower speeds, say, 255 htt. The only variable here which seems to impact these errors, is the Vdimm. As soon as I lower it, the errors disappear.

Of course, I'm actively cooling both the RAM sticks as well as the 5v Vdimm jumper area.

So I'd like to know whether your boards and memory exhibit the same "issue" - to see whether this is an isolated incident or not.

For BH-5, I was running OPB's A64Tweaker settings, for OCZ VX - also, except Tras was 10, Trc - 12, Trfc - 16. Using 02/01 beta bios.

Thanks.

BeachKEN
02-07-2005, 01:09 AM
XP-120:
Problem is we NEED to install two modules in 2 and 4 since these slots give best performance and 1/3 are either flakey or dont work at all.

My two OCZ rev2 are exactly 30mm btw.

So, it comes really down to the question:

* ) Install XP-120 first ???
* ) Install mem first (in dimm2 and 4) ???

What would be the bigger problem with the modules exactly 30mm tall (like the OCZ rev2s) ?

How did others do the procedure ?

Install the Xp120 first, RAM sticks are not so easy to be placed in 4th slot, but after few minutes and trying different angles you will get them right in.
;)

Wingz
02-07-2005, 01:17 AM
A thing to test for all who are using any kind of high-voltage loving memory (BH-5, BH-6, maybe also CH-5, Twinmos UTT, OCZ VX et al) - well, except maybe for the very big guys (OPP, OPB), as for them it's running fine anyway :D

I'd like to know how your memory behaves in memtest test #5 IF using 3.5 Vdimm or more (which, of course, is derived from the 5v rail).

What I have observed with my BH-5 kit and OCZ VX as well, as soon as I up the Vdimm to 3.5v or more in bios, and loop memtest test #5 for a few loops (10 is enough, you can see it then), memory starts showing memtest errors EXACTLY AT THE SAME MEMORY ADDRESS all the time. Usually if memory is not memtest stable, it usually throws out errors at various addresses (maybe in the same range but almost never in the same address, as one chip on the memory is failing, and it is usually the size of 64 Mb now). Moreover, this happens also (my VX is memtest stable up to 262 htt 1:1) on lower speeds, say, 255 htt. The only variable here which seems to impact these errors, is the Vdimm. As soon as I lower it, the errors disappear.

Thanks.

i have the same issue but with my Msi NF3 board anything over 3.4v i get errors at the same place on every pass and even lowering to 240HTT will still get the errors.

http://www.hvweb.co.uk/wingz/memtest%2Ejpg

cupra
02-07-2005, 01:44 AM
i think that i find new issue in my sli-dr
when first boot set to floopy the post jest stuck when the boot is starting to run, and the os dont boot.
when the the floopy is disabled the os start fine.

mrlobber
02-07-2005, 01:54 AM
i have the same issue but with my Msi NF3 board anything over 3.4v i get errors at the same place on every pass and even lowering to 240HTT will still get the errors.

Hmm, could those perhaps be memtest errors itself? Anybody else experiencing this?

mrlobber
02-07-2005, 01:58 AM
i think that i find new issue in my sli-dr
when first boot set to floopy the post jest stuck when the boot is starting to run, and the os dont boot.
when the the floopy is disabled the os start fine.

No problem here, boot order is as follows: floppy, cd-rom, hdd. Are you sure you have set it everything right? These boards have the most tricky boot order sequence algorithm I've ever seen.

Orker
02-07-2005, 02:09 AM
No more problem with ram .. It appears it doesnt like the yellow dimms

after 2 formats this is still happening

anyone???

cupra
02-07-2005, 02:23 AM
No problem here, boot order is as follows: floppy, cd-rom, hdd. Are you sure you have set it everything right? These boards have the most tricky boot order sequence algorithm I've ever seen.

im sure , the boot order was :
first - removable - floopy
second - cd rom
third - hd

its jest stuck, but when the first (floopy) set to disabled - work fine :)

Orker
02-07-2005, 02:48 AM
For those that are interested i think i figured it out... the screen gets horribly distorted and shakes like a mofo when the refresh rate is at 75hz.. even though my monitor can handle that... hopefully this is something that nvidia will fix in their next drivers as 60hz runs fine

Zac89
02-07-2005, 04:13 AM
I've got a problem with 2*512 OCZ VX...

an hour ago they works fine @ 268 (memtest stable)
now they work until 262...

Why??? :confused:

I'm waiting for OPP screen... ;)

psycho303
02-07-2005, 04:43 AM

strange, when i run my mushkins bh5 @ 3.4-3.5v i had same problems @ 260-265, always errors on same adress, even when lowering the voltage, checked the ram at friend of me, and looks like its not broken. i will re-check when i get it back today, i ll have a look on which adress it fails.

also have massive usb problems, machine sometimes hangs on bios boot screen with usb plugged in and very often windows doesent recognize usb devices. yesterday changed usb cable and all went fine (usb hhd read speed was 30mb/sec . today turned machine on and no usb devices, even after rebooting / on-off swichting. just gone. i have a look at this after work
:D

Hombre
02-07-2005, 05:30 AM
I'm gonna jump on the DFI bandwagon after I'll clear some details.

- Which SATA ports are locked in the SLI-DR model? (There are 8 ports, 4xSil and 4xNF4)
- Revisions R.A02 etc. indicates the BIOS date only (not anything that is hardware related) right? If so you can flash to a newer BIOS afterwards.

Thanks! :worship:

ominae
02-07-2005, 05:35 AM
yo, my SLI-DR setup is now running, but there are a few quirks...

When I initially put everything together and installed XP, everything worked great, no issues. However, as soon as I powered down and tried to power back up, I had no video signal, and I thought maybe it is hanging before the bios screen (I had no video, so I couldn't really tell).

So I tried everything, plugging in 4 pin molex, removing RAM, replacing RAM, etc, and then in one of the tries, I thought I'd just leave it, and then video miraculously came back when XP finishes loading. Now, I have seen the bios startup screen about 3 times, other than those times, I have no video when its POSTING - but as soon as XP finishes loading, video comes on... does anyone have any idea what the issue may be :/

Im thinking its a DFI bios issue - I tried flashing the XFX 6800GT with a newer bios, and still no go. I wanna tweak this beast, but I can't see the bios! :P Thanks in advance! :D

System Specs:
A64 3200+
DFI SLI-DR
1GB OCZ Plat EL R2
XFX 6800GT
580W Topower PSU

Lidocaine
02-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Pics of my XP-90 on the DFI Ultra-D so you guys can see for yourself and answer some of your own questions:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/251/251420/folders/189611/1420725sideshotofxp.JPG

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/251/251420/folders/189611/1420724XPinplace.JPG

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/251/251420/folders/189611/1420726topshotofxp.JPG

trans am
02-07-2005, 07:04 AM

try lowering the vdimm -.1

eva2000
02-07-2005, 07:20 AM

using 3.3v via psu rail or 5v jumper ? maybe psu rail fluctuations causing it ?

eva2000
02-07-2005, 07:25 AM
maybe board/bios is only part of the issue, maybe it's interaction with cpu ondie memory controller as well ? you using FX-55

Zac89
02-07-2005, 07:41 AM
using 3.3v via psu rail or 5v jumper ? maybe psu rail fluctuations causing it ?
I'm using the +5v rail.
The psu is a OCZ PS 520W.
It is very stable...

I tried to lower the voltage, but i 've the same errors...

this morning i was able to do 268@ 3.6... :confused:

apu673
02-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Can someone come out with a procedure and correct BIOS options for using this board with TCCD, since most of us are having this problem... Thanks!

xgman
02-07-2005, 08:40 AM
also have massive usb problems, machine sometimes hangs on bios boot screen with usb plugged in and very often windows doesent recognize usb devices. yesterday changed usb cable and all went fine (usb hhd read speed was 30mb/sec . today turned machine on and no usb devices, even after rebooting / on-off swichting. just gone. i have a look at this after work
:D

This is also my biggest issue right now.

xgman
02-07-2005, 08:41 AM
maybe board/bios is only part of the issue, maybe it's interaction with cpu ondie memory controller as well ? you using FX-55

yes.

xgman
02-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Can someone come out with a procedure and correct BIOS options for using this board with TCCD, since most of us are having this problem... Thanks!

We need someone from DFI to chime in about now. Any reps in this forum?

Blue078
02-07-2005, 08:48 AM
We need someone from DFI to chime in about now. Any reps in this forum?

What reps ?? Does DFI have reps that come to this forum? Or any forum?

The Guys at DFI-Street are forum moderators only, from what I see.

matt9669
02-07-2005, 09:02 AM
1. To everyone that owns a DFI Motherboard: I am a full time DFI employee, hired to do support for them in this forum. I am here for all of you, and will work hard to solve any problems that you bring to our attention.

ALSO NOTE: RGone is a fellow DFI Employee here to assist you (and me!)

This means you aren't just getting answers from someone that might or might not know the answer to your question/problem. It means that whatever I cannot answer myself, and no one else has the answer, I will forward your problem/question on to the engineers at DFI themselves.

DFI is, in my opinion, the best motherboard maker I have ever been involved with, and not just because of the products they make. They have the best support efforts in the industry, and work to make sure each customer is happy, which in turn virtually guarantees that we will all be more than willing to try new DFI products as they come out. You will all see the truth of this statement as time goes on!

Straight from here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1541

Lidocaine
02-07-2005, 09:03 AM
What reps ?? Does DFI have reps that come to this forum? Or any forum?

The Guys at DFI-Street are forum moderators only, from what I see.

With broke mobo themselves.... :ROTF:

xgman
02-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Hey Lidocaine, why don't you pass around some of yourself to help numb the pain? :p:

Lidocaine
02-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Hey Lidocaine, why don't you pass around some of yourself to help numb the pain? :p:

hey xgman ;) ...........I had my "dose" this weekend. :D PSU failed but OCZ is working real hard to rectify this............props to Tony and crew! Fortunately for me, this board is doing great!..............*knocks on wood* :cool:

This board is super sweet, just gotta work some "bugs" out. Could it be anything less with Oskar driving the bus? :D I'd like to see Oskar pay a visit here to help some folks out too.

jinu117
02-07-2005, 09:52 AM
:D Now many poeple posted they had the issue with TCCD caused by using not enough Vdimm, 2,6 or so. 2,8 works fine and someone posted that the DFI even will have a bit more Vdimm than other boards.

BTW I can not understand people set the Vdimm to AUTO or 2,6 and expect a fine running system, many RAM brands require especally in DC 2,8 and maybe Oced 2.9 or more so it's always a good idea to start with 2,9 - will not damage anything and when all is running fine You can try to lower it a little.

Err... I believe most of people are used to TCCD running low voltage. In fact, 4 of my TCCD ran best @ 2.6v Higher or lower = less overclockability (and that was measured using DMM) Why would it be hard to understand for people who are used to 2.6v on TCCD for best 2.5-3-3-8 performance suddenly needing 3.1v? BTW, TCCD with 3.1v puts out awful lot of heat and would be something to be avoided if possible.
So, guess it isn't as rosy as it could be yet... Let's see how fast can DFI massage these problems. I know Asus wasn't too good with it as usual (till maybe their 1007 bios or so again I bet)

HARDCORECLOCKER
02-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Err... I believe most of people are used to TCCD running low voltage. In fact, 4 of my TCCD ran best @ 2.6v Higher or lower = less overclockability (and that was measured using DMM) Why would it be hard to understand for people who are used to 2.6v on TCCD for best 2.5-3-3-8 performance suddenly needing 3.1v? BTW, TCCD with 3.1v puts out awful lot of heat and would be something to be avoided if possible.
So, guess it isn't as rosy as it could be yet... Let's see how fast can DFI massage these problems. I know Asus wasn't too good with it as usual (till maybe their 1007 bios or so again I bet)

:D Hm - I didn't talk about 3,1 Vdimm, I agree that's to much but even on my NEO2 I have to set 2,9 Vdimm to get 2,5-3-3-5 stable at 12 x 280.

Sure - this is a hard overclock but my thought was that it maybe helps if higher voltage is required by DFI NF4.

I read it in many posts - poeple say they can't install Windows and when they increase the voltage it works fine.

Even at stock settings ( 13 x 200 with the FX-55 ) and VDimm in AUTO mode (2,7) there is no go for me, have to increase up to 2,8.

xgman
02-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Is everyone with tccd problems using all the on-board extra power connectors or at least the one near the chipset, or not?

btomasie
02-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Hey OPP, any chance you'll have those screenshots today? Much appreciated.

As far as my update goes... thanks to those that sent the updated links... I had an older copy of the PDF manual on my desktop (from several weeks ago when someone posted it here during beta-testing).

After going to the 2/1 BIOS, my VX RAM still showed up as 3-3-3-8. Stability issues were still happening. I already plugged in the FDD and HDD connectors and that didn't help my situation any. I also had unplugged my 2 DVD-RW drives, several case fans, and my 2 other hard drives. The PSU I am running is a TrueControl 550W, but a OCZ PS 520W is on it's way tomorrow, as the T.C. is a 20-pin PSU and I don't want to use adapters.

So anyhow, I manually adjusted my RAM settings to be 2-3-3-8 for now and bumped the voltage to 2.8v. I have been totally fine with everything at "stock" settings. I'm letting my new week-51 3000+ Winnie burn in for a few days as I wait for the OCZ PSU and my new Swiftech waterblock to get here.

I am still questioning what I should do with this RAM situation though and why the SPD is giving the incorrect number. OPP, did your VX shows up as CAS 2 why you first put it in, or did you O/C and adjust setting immediately?

Thanks a lot,
Brian

Blue078
02-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Is everyone with tccd problems using all the on-board extra power connectors or at least the one near the chipset, or not?

Yes... and it doesnt seem to help any.

trans am
02-07-2005, 11:08 AM
OCZ vx will not show as 2-2-2 on auto setting. you need to adjust it manually. ;)

As far as my update goes... thanks to those that sent the updated links... I had an older copy of the PDF manual on my desktop (from several weeks ago when someone posted it here during beta-testing).

After going to the 2/1 BIOS, my VX RAM still showed up as 3-3-3-8. Stability issues were still happening. I already plugged in the FDD and HDD connectors and that didn't help my situation any. I also had unplugged my 2 DVD-RW drives, several case fans, and my 2 other hard drives. The PSU I am running is a TrueControl 550W, but a OCZ PS 520W is on it's way tomorrow, as the T.C. is a 20-pin PSU and I don't want to use adapters.

So anyhow, I manually adjusted my RAM settings to be 2-3-3-8 for now and bumped the voltage to 2.8v. I have been totally fine with everything at "stock" settings. I'm letting my new week-51 3000+ Winnie burn in for a few days as I wait for the OCZ PSU and my new Swiftech waterblock to get here.

I am still questioning what I should do with this RAM situation though and why the SPD is giving the incorrect number. OPP, did your VX shows up as CAS 2 why you first put it in, or did you O/C and adjust setting immediately?

Thanks a lot,
Brian

apu673
02-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Well I just booted it up, and the strangest things are happening. First, it powers on, beeps once, and the DFI Logo is just stuck there on the screen, then after about 5 seconds the CPU fan turns off, and I have to turn off the computer. I've tried clearing the CMOS and disconnecting all my fans except the CPU fan. I'm using a stock HSF and pluggin the fan into the CPU fan header on the mobo.

EDIT: Just tried pluggin in CPU fan directly to PSU and now the fan stays on. But It still just sits there with the Logo showing, and all the fans are going pretty slow...

btomasie
02-07-2005, 11:22 AM
I've noticed a few people mentioning issues with booting up and the DFi logo just staying on the screen. I first had that too and eventually worked myself out of being "stuck". The lower-left corner of the board (once installed) has the 4 LED's. Mine stayed stuck with 2 lit, which I understood as it having an issue with the RAM. I originally had the RAM in slots 1 and 3 (the yellows). Once i swapped them out to 2 and 4, I got past the DFI logo and to the boot up sequence (and from there promptly went into the BIOS and shut the logo off!!) so that I could see all the settings from that point on.

Hope that helps someone.

Brian

mrlobber
02-07-2005, 11:25 AM

Thanks a lot,
Brian

Btomasie, just as trans am posted, VX has SPD timings of 3-3-3-8. Bump the voltage to 3.2 (what's the point of getting VX = Voltage eXtreme memory if you're running it 2.8v?), manually change timings to 2-2-2-10 and you're flying.

apu673
02-07-2005, 11:27 AM
I've noticed a few people mentioning issues with booting up and the DFi logo just staying on the screen. I first had that too and eventually worked myself out of being "stuck". The lower-left corner of the board (once installed) has the 4 LED's. Mine stayed stuck with 2 lit, which I understood as it having an issue with the RAM. I originally had the RAM in slots 1 and 3 (the yellows). Once i swapped them out to 2 and 4, I got past the DFI logo and to the boot up sequence (and from there promptly went into the BIOS and shut the logo off!!) so that I could see all the settings from that point on.

Hope that helps someone.

Brian

I had my 2x256mb in slots 2 and 4 at first. Then I tried just one dimm in slot 2, still no luck getting past Logo.

apu673
02-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Ok now I have 1 stick in slot 4, and the CPU fan works while connected to the motherboard header. Now instead of beeping once and freezing at logo, I get long continuous beeps, and no post. 3 out of 4 of the diagnostic LEDs are on. What now?

xgman
02-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Yes... and it doesnt seem to help any.

How about a straight in 24pin from the PS?

btomasie
02-07-2005, 11:48 AM
mrlobber,
thanks for the input. The only reason thus far to keep it at 2.8v was to ensure that I have a fully stable "stock configuration" setup before cranking up the CPU, RAM, or video card settings. And the OCZ PS PSU doesn't get here until tomorrow, so I'm hesitant to be messing with too many voltage settings right now.

Thanks again,
Brian

apu673
02-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Ok, small update. Slots 1 and 2 beep once, but then wont get past DFI logo (3 out of 4 Diagnostic LEDs). Slots 3 and 4 won't post at all and has long continous beeps. I've tried (512mb)Corsair BH-6 as well as my (256mb)GSkill TCCD. I have no idea what to do now, i've played musical chairs with all the dimms and cleared CMOS several times!

psycho303
02-07-2005, 12:18 PM

This is also my biggest issue right now.

lets share some machine specs. here mine :

board A00
bios : 2005/01/25
usb settings in bios : default, tried everything
gfx : 8MB SiS PCI (no xpress :D )
mem : mushkin 3200 level 2 bh-5 (one stick at moment)
intel 1000 mt network card
onboard network stuff disabled (cause boot pxe wont work for me)
hdd-less system boot via network
psu : 470w beqiet 24 pin psu
ps/2 mouse & keyboard

on everybodys machine all usb stuff went fine ???

xgman
02-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Ok, small update. Slots 1 and 2 beep once, but then wont get past DFI logo (3 out of 4 Diagnostic LEDs). Slots 3 and 4 won't post at all and has long continous beeps. I've tried (512mb)Corsair BH-6 as well as my (256mb)GSkill TCCD. I have no idea what to do now, i've played musical chairs with all the dimms and cleared CMOS several times!

maybe a dumb question, but are you sure the Vid card 6 pin power is plugged in? It seems your problem is obviosuly beyond your ram, as you have tried so many combinations.

xgman
02-07-2005, 12:44 PM
lets share some machine specs. here mine :

board A00
bios : 2005/01/25
usb settings in bios : default, tried everything
gfx : 8MB SiS PCI (no xpress :D )
mem : mushkin 3200 level 2 bh-5 (one stick at moment)
intel 1000 mt network card
onboard network stuff disabled (cause boot pxe wont work for me)
hdd-less system boot via network
psu : 470w beqiet 24 pin psu
ps/2 mouse & keyboard

on everybodys machine all usb stuff went fine ???

Mine is a pre-release version board (r.pr32). my specs are in my sig, but I already sent it back for a retail release that they are overnighting me, but at least my tccd sticks worked up to 300htt on the sample board. Now I am worried that the reatail board won't work as well.

uranium
02-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Mine is a pre-release version board (r.pr32). my specs are in my sig, but I already sent it back for a retail release that they are overnighting me, but at least my tccd sticks worked up to 300htt on the sample board. Now I am worried that the reatail board won't work as well.

Mine does :)
see
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=703831#post703831

HARDCORECLOCKER
02-07-2005, 12:49 PM
:( Oh guys - whatcha postin' here - my board has been shipped today and now I'll get nitemares tonite............ :confused:

apu673
02-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Well I figured out i'm just an idiot...I have 2 Disc Drives and 1 IDE harddrive, well I left one of the disk drives unplugged and that seemed to be the problem. Everything is good now, dual-channel and all. Running memtest right now.

uranium
02-07-2005, 01:00 PM
:( Oh guys - whatcha postin' here - my board has been shipped today and now I'll get nitemares tonite............ :confused:

You'll be fine HCC :)

Have you got your waterblock yet?

Geoff

xgman
02-07-2005, 01:03 PM
see

Thanks, encouraging. :) Give me some hope that nice my pre-release experience with tccd wasn't going to end.

xgman
02-07-2005, 01:05 PM
see

Actually looking at your specs, they are very close to mine except I have a pcpc PS. I wonder if the FX is behaving differently than others? Which power connectors on the board are you using and what voltages on vcore and ram?

uranium
02-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Actually looking at your specs, they are very close to mine except I have a pcpc PS. I wonder if the FX is behaving differently than others? Which power connectors on the board are you using and what voltages on vcore and ram?

Voltages are actually in the picture in the link- if you believe smart guardian ;)

Anyway they are: RAM 2.9, CPU 1.55
I'm not using the FDD or Molex connectors on the board
The wiring in my (small- PC60) case looks like a birds nest as it is.... ;)

xgman
02-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Hmm, 1.55vcore at almost 3 gighz? Nice work!

I have the 24pin plus the molex plugged in near the chipset.

HARDCORECLOCKER
02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
You'll be fine HCC :)

Have you got your waterblock yet?

Geoff

:D No, the board has been shipped today and will arrive Wednesday, I hope to get the waterblock also in time........ :toast:

Zac89
02-07-2005, 02:05 PM
My sticks of VX are going worse and worse... :brick: :brick: :brick:

Yesterday night they pass 720 loop of memtest #5, today they have some errors @260...

Maybe the memory controller of my winchester is going to burn??? :confused:

(sorry for my bad english...)

uranium
02-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Hmm, 1.55vcore at almost 3 gighz? Nice work!

I have the 24pin plus the molex plugged in near the chipset.

Do you think the Molex is important? You've been at this sort of thing longer than I have....

I just tried 2.5 3 3 8. No go even at 3.1 volts. Lots of errors in Memtest. Then no post on return to previous settings :mad: But I fixed eventually, several CMOS clears + a battery removal later :)

Blue078
02-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Do you think the Molex is important? You've been at this sort of thing longer than I have....

I just tried 2.5 3 3 8. No go even at 3.1 volts. Lots of errors in Memtest. Then no post on return to previous settings :mad: But I fixed eventually, several CMOS clears + a battery removal later :)

So you haveing trouble with OCZ TCCD's??
I thought my TCCD problem might only be because I PDP mem with TCCD's..humm

uranium
02-07-2005, 03:25 PM
So you haveing trouble with OCZ TCCD's??
I thought my TCCD problem might only be because I PDP mem with TCCD's..humm

Not at 2.5 3 4 7 - see post 143 ;)

flutie98
02-07-2005, 03:29 PM
hmm hopefully my new Gskill TCCD will play nice with this board

ENGiN
02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
hy guys, im new here :toast:

I have veryy stupid driver/hardware problem.....

if I a program to start want and it double-click have I a delay of 1-2sek or I must around a program to start sometimes want 3-4 times on it to click

i installed usb 2.0 driver but not help ... :confused:

pleeease pleeeeeeeeeeeease help me :(

apu673
02-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Is there anyway to update BIOS through windows with this motherboard? (don't have a floppy drive)

flutie98
02-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Is there anyway to update BIOS through windows with this motherboard? (don't have a floppy drive)

yep, winflash

flexy
02-07-2005, 06:37 PM

RTFM :)

for dual channel use Slot 2 and 4, (OR, but might be flakey) Slot 1 and 3
Slot 2 and 4 are the orange/reddish ones. (not yellow)

Put ONE dimm only in Slot 2

---> NO slots 1 and 2 and NOT slots 3 and 4

Please read the manual its in there and this is essential.

flexy
02-07-2005, 06:38 PM
I had my 2x256mb in slots 2 and 4 at first. Then I tried just one dimm in slot 2, still no luck getting past Logo.

sry..just read that later after i replied :)

coldcase
02-07-2005, 07:21 PM
What do you guys use to flash the board to the new beta bios if it doesn't post because of the tccd memory issue? I'm suppose to get an Ultra-D this week and I have 2 X 512 OCZ 3200 plat. rev.2. Thanks.

Awperator
02-07-2005, 07:37 PM
What do you guys use to flash the board to the new beta bios if it doesn't post because of the tccd memory issue? I'm suppose to get an Ultra-D this week and I have 2 X 512 OCZ 3200 plat. rev.2. Thanks.

Use winflash. Do a google search. First hit. Very easy and intuitive.

- Awperator

quicksilverXP
02-07-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm using the Feb. 1 bios... it is the best... look here...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52557

coldcase
02-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Use winflash. Do a google search. First hit. Very easy and intuitive.

- Awperator

Thanks but isn't Winflash a windows program? If you can't boot you need to flash before windows gets installed no?

pudds
02-08-2005, 12:41 AM
It boots with one stick of memory just not two. Boot with one,flash,unplu,rest cmos, install 2nd.

coldcase
02-08-2005, 12:57 AM
It boots with one stick of memory just not two. Boot with one,flash,unplu,rest cmos, install 2nd.

So you actually boot and need to install windows with one stick then flash, clear cmos and install the 2nd stick?

psycho303
02-08-2005, 03:35 AM

i got the thing to run ! sounds stupid , but my "anubis / typhoon" usb 2.0 hub was it ! just changed with "cytronix" 2.0 hub and no more problems, except when you turn on usb devices during power on machine it hangs, can live with this :D

just one problem left with VX/BH5 @ high voltages :rolleyes:

i love this board more & more :banana:

Enz0
02-08-2005, 04:18 AM
I posted this once to DFI-STREET.COM but Angry_Games replied like this.

you probably have a better chance of getting an answer from him at xtreme forums than I do lol

i cant answer because i have only had my hands on a single 939 board (the nf4 sli)
So, I post it here too.

My friend CIMA did this amazing thing.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/cima/0dbd7629.png
M/B:LANPartyUT NF4 Ultra-D
BIOS:201
CPU:Athlon 64 3200+ CBBID 0441MPMW
CPU Cooling:XP-90
Memory:TwinMOS PC3200 BH-6 256MB x2
VGA?ATI XPERT 98 PCI 8MB
HDD?MAXTOR 6Y80P0
PowerSuplly?Zippy-460WS
Vcore:1.51V / Vdimm:3.80V / Vio:3.46V

But, when he sets Trtw to 1, it maxes out at memory clock of 250 or so whatever Vdimm is.
With other boards, like Epox EP-9NDA3+, we can reach higher memory clock with Trtw 1.
Like this (By my friend New Beetle).
http://cal930.sakura.ne.jp/cgi-bin/c-board/file/2M_10x326%3D57S_DDR333.gif

Could someone ask Oskar what's going on?

ominae
02-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Not at 2.5 3 4 7 - see post 143 ;)

hehe, i've got same RAM as you - I'm stuck at 290 (haven't tried 295 like you) it can't seem get it stable at 300HT, I tried OPB's settings, still no go, any setting suggestions? WE GOTTA MAKE THIS RAM >= 300! :D

uranium
02-08-2005, 04:34 AM
hehe, i've got same RAM as you - I'm stuck at 290 (haven't tried 295 like you) it can't seem get it stable at 300HT, I tried OPB's settings, still no go, any setting suggestions? WE GOTTA MAKE THIS RAM >= 300! :D

I'll have a play later- at work at the mo ;)

ENGiN
02-08-2005, 04:48 AM
hy guys, im new here :toast:

I have veryy stupid driver/hardware problem.....

if I a program to start want and it double-click have I a delay of 1-2sek or I must around a program to start sometimes want 3-4 times on it to click

i installed usb 2.0 driver but not help ... :confused:

pleeease pleeeeeeeeeeeease help me :(
:( need help

Orker
02-08-2005, 04:48 AM
Im having soooo many issues with CSS and SLI.... anyone else??

Nube
02-08-2005, 06:06 AM
DFI Website down at moment,, butU can download the bios here...

http://www.ricco.karoo.net/down/

I'm a nube yeh,, got new hdd's and win xp pro,,
To flash the bios to the latest bios,, I just put the 2 bios files
(NF4LD201) & (AWDFLASH) on a floppy

start dos mode, and type "NF4LD201" to flash bios ? do i need 2 make floppy bootable some how ?
then shutdown, and install XP?

Nube
02-08-2005, 06:11 AM
test sig

xgman
02-08-2005, 07:05 AM

It says it adds stability to the baord, so why not?

xgman
02-08-2005, 07:08 AM

try 2.5-4-3-7-1T 2.9v

apu673
02-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Right now I got my winnie at 250x9, but I want to check something before I go further. Does anyone else get ridiclously low CPU temps? I'm at 250x9 with 1.425vcore and I'm idling 30c with stock heatsink. Ambient temp is 65 F. Also my chipset temp is 40c, when it this too high?

trans am
02-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Right now I got my winnie at 250x9, but I want to check something before I go further. Does anyone else get ridiclously low CPU temps? I'm at 250x9 with 1.425vcore and I'm idling 30c with stock heatsink. Ambient temp is 65 F. Also my chipset temp is 40c, when it this too high?

1.425 vcore idle @ 30c sounds right on.

ominae
02-08-2005, 02:26 PM
try 2.5-4-3-7-1T 2.9v

No go xgman :/ Thanks for the tip though :toast: 300mhz 1:1 HT is eluding me :/

daniel734
02-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Does the Corsair 3200XL Pro suck with this board? :rolleyes:
I havent seen any results.. except AMDnewbies results...

I really dont have the money for some nice OCZ now.. :(

ominae
02-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't think so, I think Corsair 3200XL v1.2 (i think its 1.2) is on the new brainpower pcb - I'm sure it'll scale pretty well, just that OCZ/G.Skill have better chances of reaching high speeds

Chris85
02-08-2005, 11:46 PM
I got my DFI nForce 4 Ultra-D 2 days ago, but haven't tried it until yesterday. Now I can't get it too boot, while everything works on my Gigabyte K8NF-9. The thing is I'm using a PCI video card now (Voodoo 3), cause I'm waiting on a X850XT PE.

Does anyone know, or can anyone test if this board works with a PCI card.

ViperJohn
02-09-2005, 02:07 AM
I got my DFI nForce 4 Ultra-D 2 days ago, but haven't tried it until yesterday. Now I can't get it too boot, while everything works on my Gigabyte K8NF-9. The thing is I'm using a PCI video card now (Voodoo 3), cause I'm waiting on a X850XT PE.

Try doing a Cmos clear. I could not get mine to boot either until I did.

Viper

Chris85
02-09-2005, 02:13 AM
I did a CMOS clear, with the jumper, I'll try and get the battery out tonight, but I'm not sure if it's mobo or PCI card related, if it's not PCI related I might have gotten a faulty board.... :(

psycho303
02-09-2005, 03:27 AM

hi

im using old sis 8mb pci card, works fine for me. had first some problems to boot cause sticked mem to wrong slot. dual channel belongs to the red slots, single channel to the red slot more away from cpu. what shows the onboard led ? does the pci card work in other machine ?

Chris85
02-09-2005, 03:38 AM
PCI card works on my other mobo, all 4 leds are burning, and I get no sound from the speaker, I enabled it with the jumper, mobo's DOA I guess... :(

psycho303
02-09-2005, 03:58 AM
please can confirm somebody running BH5/VX rams on the NF4-DFI with 3.4v or more voltage on non PR-board ???
me and an other user having problems with higher voltages on that ram results in mem-test errors on the "same" adress, what is un-typical for overclocked ram. on other users machine the errors disapear when lowering mem voltage. on my machine one of the mushkin bh5 starts to get errors on same adress when i set to 3.4v. but mine even apears when lowering voltage , looks like it somehow broken. i really would like to know experience from other users, cause dont wanna kill my fresh RMAed-VX kit.
my theory is that the mem controller of my 3000+ which reach 2.65Ghz prime stable is weak and somehow killed my mushkin :confused:. sorry for bad english :D

psycho303
02-09-2005, 03:59 AM
PCI card works on my other mobo, all 4 leds are burning, and I get no sound from the speaker, I enabled it with the jumper, mobo's DOA I guess... :(

you checked the ram slots ?

Chris85
02-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Yeah, the orange ones 2&4 are dual channel, but I also tried all the other slots...Also tried running with 1 stick only, nothing helps though.

Zac89
02-09-2005, 07:00 AM
please can confirm somebody running BH5/VX rams on the NF4-DFI with 3.4v or more voltage on non PR-board ???
me and an other user having problems with higher voltages on that ram results in mem-test errors on the "same" adress, what is un-typical for overclocked ram. on other users machine the errors disapear when lowering mem voltage. on my machine one of the mushkin bh5 starts to get errors on same adress when i set to 3.4v. but mine even apears when lowering voltage , looks like it somehow broken. i really would like to know experience from other users, cause dont wanna kill my fresh RMAed-VX kit.
my theory is that the mem controller of my 3000+ which reach 2.65Ghz prime stable is weak and somehow killed my mushkin :confused:. sorry for bad english :D
my memory works fine with 3.5 or 3.6v

The problem IMHO is the memory controller.
it is @ 0.13 or 0.09 and it doesn't work fine with 3.5v or more.

the mobo doesn't matter... ;)

xgman
02-09-2005, 07:22 AM
No go xgman :/ Thanks for the tip though :toast: 300mhz 1:1 HT is eluding me :/

Make sure your on 0201 bios.

Mastakilla
02-09-2005, 09:50 AM
are people still having problems with usb devices?

psycho303
02-09-2005, 10:04 AM
my memory works fine with 3.5 or 3.6v

The problem IMHO is the memory controller.
it is @ 0.13 or 0.09 and it doesn't work fine with 3.5v or more.

the mobo doesn't matter... ;)

on which cpu it runs with 3.6v on your machine ?

psycho303
02-09-2005, 10:04 AM

fixed my usb problems, it was the hub :)

Zac89
02-09-2005, 10:25 AM
on which cpu it runs with 3.6v on your machine ?
3500+ winchester.

But it is a worst cpu... it cant go upper than 2550... :(

trans am
02-09-2005, 11:02 AM

yeah, mine respond best at 3.2v opposed to my previous 3.5v

Dumo
02-09-2005, 07:56 PM
HELP.........at boot this always flashing: "warning : Have option ROM can not be invoke (vendor ID: 10D Eh Deivce ID:0057h)"
It is happen to anyone? What it means? I'm using ultra-D with 02/5 bios and tccd 431...and htt300 stable at 3.1V:eek:

SVTSnake
02-09-2005, 09:25 PM
HELP.........at boot this always flashing: "warning : Have option ROM can not be invoke (vendor ID: 10D Eh Deivce ID:0057h)"
It is happen to anyone? What it means? I'm using ultra-D with 02/5 bios and tccd 431...and htt300 stable at 3.1V:eek:

Mine does that every once in a while, especially when going into the bios. Have you manually set your nvidia MAC address in the bios? Mine stopped saying that AFTER I manually set the MAC (don't ask, don't know why its not automatically set in the bios like every other board I have ever owned was!?!?)

SVTSnake
02-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Okay, found some very interesting and weird things tonight with my system. If you recall, I mentioned back on page 1 I believe about needing 3.1v on the G.Skill LE TCCD to pass Memtest #5&6, and to get the board to boot. Well, tonight after reading over at DFI-Street with 1 of the guys board having issues running test #8, I thought I give it it a try. Well, guess what? 3.1v errored out almost instantly. Than, I tried running SuperPI 1m and it errored always between test 13-16. Remembering OPB's settings and him using 2.6v, I tried that and whala! Memtest passed #8 looping for over 40 minutes. It was always failing in test #8 at 756mb and 9?? meaning it should be my module in bank 4 (correct?). I swapped modules around to see if I could get it fail in bank 2, but the same address failed again. Apon further investigation, I noticed that dimm slot 2 get plenty of blowoff air coming from the XP120 and 120mm fan, but slot 4 gets hardly any. Looking through the XP120, you can see slot 2 through the fins of the heatsink, but not slot 4. If we could use slots 1 & 3, it would get more airflow off the XP120. I don't think the Zalman's would have this problem as their design is radial. For those looking into air cooling, you might want to take a look at either the 7000 or 7700 instead of the XP120. I really do think that your memory slots will get better airflow with them, compared to the XP120.

For those wondering, I was able to swap memory positions just fine without taking off the XP120. I had plenty of room to get the G.Skill LE's out and back in!

joe2004
02-09-2005, 10:20 PM

I had these problems, deleted all USB devices in control panel and rebooted. Now it seems working all but the connectors on the board which is only USB 1.1 it seems. Could be my case cable problem though I had no problem with that on my old Asus K8V board.

Chr0n1c
02-09-2005, 11:38 PM
My Corsair 4400C25PT seems to just flat out suck in this board.

Can only get defaul speed and timing stable, Otherwise always erros in test 5 @ 90%. So weird. Tried all the way up to 3.4V, no diff, tried tons of diff timings and The tightest I could get was 2.5-4-3-8 @ 3V!? Wtf? IM gonna get VX unless anyone has an Idea whats up.

Am I missing something here?

Mastakilla
02-10-2005, 02:29 AM
My Corsair 4400C25PT seems to just flat out suck in this board.

Can only get defaul speed and timing stable, Otherwise always erros in test 5 @ 90%. So weird. Tried all the way up to 3.4V, no diff, tried tons of diff timings and The tightest I could get was 2.5-4-3-8 @ 3V!? Wtf? IM gonna get VX unless anyone has an Idea whats up.

Am I missing something here?

hmz

that kinda... sux... big time...

wanted to buy that ram too, perhaps ill just go for el cheapo ram then... kingston hyperx or something... or perhaps the corsair xl ram... anyone had succes with any of these two?

tictac
02-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Okay, found some very interesting and weird things tonight with my system. If you recall, I mentioned back on page 1 I believe about needing 3.1v on the G.Skill LE TCCD to pass Memtest #5&6, and to get the board to boot. Well, tonight after reading over at DFI-Street with 1 of the guys board having issues running test #8, I thought I give it it a try. Well, guess what? 3.1v errored out almost instantly. Than, I tried running SuperPI 1m and it errored always between test 13-16. Remembering OPB's settings and him using 2.6v, I tried that and whala! Memtest passed #8 looping for over 40 minutes. It was always failing in test #8 at 756mb and 9?? meaning it should be my module in bank 4 (correct?). I swapped modules around to see if I could get it fail in bank 2, but the same address failed again. Apon further investigation, I noticed that dimm slot 2 get plenty of blowoff air coming from the XP120 and 120mm fan, but slot 4 gets hardly any. Looking through the XP120, you can see slot 2 through the fins of the heatsink, but not slot 4. If we could use slots 1 & 3, it would get more airflow off the XP120. I don't think the Zalman's would have this problem as their design is radial. For those looking into air cooling, you might want to take a look at either the 7000 or 7700 instead of the XP120. I really do think that your memory slots will get better airflow with them, compared to the XP120.

For those wondering, I was able to swap memory positions just fine without taking off the XP120. I had plenty of room to get the G.Skill LE's out and back in!

so conclusion... air cooling for overclocking a TCCD is a must :)

Add morefans on the ram than? :toast:

VoRtAn_MaDgE
02-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Maybe dfi nforce4 is not the board that everybody was expecting???

Hope for ppl that bought the board, dfi send bios releases to fiz some issues that is happening

Can't decide between msi or dfi nforce4 mobo's...no sli

HARDCORECLOCKER
02-10-2005, 05:33 AM
so conclusion... air cooling for overclocking a TCCD is a must :)

Add morefans on the ram than? :toast:

:D Wise spoken my friend - I did it always on any board - also on NF3 as You can see here:

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/4128/a64sys0046gt.jpg

bito
02-10-2005, 06:27 AM
I just hope that this series is not a lemon :confused:

Seems to me that the most troublefree overclocks are coming from the FX's

HARDCORECLOCKER
02-10-2005, 06:41 AM
I just hope that this series is not a lemon :confused:

Seems to me that the most troublefree overclocks are coming from the FX's

:D Mate - I do hope so.............. :toast:

Chr0n1c
02-10-2005, 07:58 AM
hmz

that kinda... sux... big time...

wanted to buy that ram too, perhaps ill just go for el cheapo ram then... kingston hyperx or something... or perhaps the corsair xl ram... anyone had succes with any of these two?

Yea Idk, this is my 2nd kit of this ram so It can't be bogus. :confused:

xgman
02-10-2005, 08:10 AM
:D Mate - I do hope so.............. :toast:

:toast: . . . . . . . . .

esdee
02-10-2005, 08:44 AM
anyone tested the 09/02 DFI NF4 Bios?

brassen
02-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Check this thread -> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52726

VoRtAn_MaDgE
02-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Dunno if it's the right place to ask for it but can anyone confirm me this?

" The Realtek ALC850 7.1 audio chip has appeared on many recent motherboards. This 8-channel audio codec is fully AC '97 2.3 compliant and features 16-bit 8-channel audio and auto-jack sensing with support for a full range of analog and digital IO. The Karajan Module includes both SPDIF in and out coaxial connectors on the rear IO panel.There is also an on-board SPDIF connector for an optical cable."

Thks in advance!

Zac89
02-10-2005, 12:52 PM
anyone tested the 09/02 DFI NF4 Bios?
I've flashed it this morning...
no problem. ;)

andyOCZ
02-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Vortan Madge (??)

(The Ultra-D, non SLI model has no optical SPDIF, just two RCA SPDIF jacks. I have not seen the official SLI model. All the rest sounds correct.

sado
02-10-2005, 01:06 PM
hey guys.. im getting all the parts for my new system REAL soon... ive ordered the ram... gskill pc4400 tccd 1gb dc... should i still get the sli-dr? or should i look into something else? but i want something that ican oc well with... or would u suggest different ram? cuz i could probably cancel it...

andyOCZ
02-10-2005, 01:40 PM
hey guys.. im getting all the parts for my new system REAL soon... ive ordered the ram... gskill pc4400 tccd 1gb dc... should i still get the sli-dr? or should i look into something else? but i want something that ican oc well with... or would u suggest different ram? cuz i could probably cancel it...

I would say you will have a good rig there. I won't comment on your brand choice, but the TCCD will work quite well. This board is very picky in terms of BIOS settings, but is a great overclocker. A word of warning. A GOOD 600w watt PSU is highly recommended (this is no joke, we have tested).

Our OCZ VX memory is an excellent choice for this board. Having all that voltage available is great and just look around for the results. The bandwidth is better at lower memory buss speeds.

Get the official SLI model if you plan on doing SLI. The Ultra-D ships without the required SLI bridge and unless you can aquire one you won't run SLI.

As far as the board, you won't find a better overclocker at this time. The board made my wimpy 3200+ Wincester's memory controller SOOOO much better, it's like a different CPU. I had it in an MSI and it flat out sucked.

Good luck!

cantankerous
02-10-2005, 01:52 PM
what SilenX fan do you have that is 54dba? I have two of those silenX fans and are SUPPOSED be 58cfm at 14db. They are quite weak. I would NOT recommend those for a cpu fan. Not in the least. Ok for an exhaust or blowhole which is what I am using them for but for CPU get a panaflo or equivelent.

Lidocaine
02-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Just FYI........not necessarily a mobo issue but CLOCKGEN was severly hampering my overclocks...........yes, this is the clockgen for the NF4 chipsets I'm speaking of.............HTT235 no matter WHAT I changed in the bios........volts, timings, nada.............binned Clockgen and booted from the bios easily at HTT285 and up.

VoRtAn_MaDgE
02-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Vortan Madge (??)

(The Ultra-D, non SLI model has no optical SPDIF, just two RCA SPDIF jacks. I have not seen the official SLI model. All the rest sounds correct.

Read here...

dfi nforce4 review (http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337&p=2)

Now read after the pic of AL850 chip

This one...http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/dfi/nf4sliultra/8audio.jpg

They talk about the connection i told here...

VoRtAn_MaDgE
02-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Checked the review again...the pic before the features shows the sli-dr...maybe that one brings it...

The manual of ultra-d says in audio part explanation...

"DO NOT USE RCA/SPDIF AND OPTICAL S/PDIF AT THE SAME TIME

What connection of 4 pins is behind the rca? Manual board says s/pdif too...is there any kind of adaptor that convert that connection into an optical female ?

sado
02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
hmmm... right now im planning to get an antec neopower 480... will that do?

y2jdmbfan
02-10-2005, 07:21 PM
hmmm... right now im planning to get an antec neopower 480... will that do?

Running my board with one till my PCP&C 510-SLI gets back and it's great...Silent too...WHich is nice...

mrlobber
02-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Just FYI........not necessarily a mobo issue but CLOCKGEN was severly hampering my overclocks...........yes, this is the clockgen for the NF4 chipsets I'm speaking of.............HTT235 no matter WHAT I changed in the bios........volts, timings, nada.............binned Clockgen and booted from the bios easily at HTT285 and up.

Wow! I'm experiencing quite interesting issues in the same area... With my OCZ VX, I'm memtest stable up to 261 htt 1:1, but when in Windows, only 235 htt has some stability, all the settings above crap out Prime and SuperPi 16M almost immediately. Hard to believe there is so much difference (just maybe the cpu is bad bad very bad).

Nube
02-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Wow! I'm experiencing quite interesting issues in the same area... With my OCZ VX, I'm memtest stable up to 261 htt 1:1, but when in Windows, only 235 htt has some stability, all the settings above crap out Prime and SuperPi 16M almost immediately. Hard to believe there is so much difference (just maybe the cpu is bad bad very bad).

I run 3.2v with my VX, isnt stable over 230fsb

my ram timings are 2-2-2-8-12-16,, dunno if thats holding it back....

tryed running mem test but didnt know what was errors if it passed or what lol,, i run 225 FSB now and its fine,, if I drop the multiplyer down to 10 and run it at 230fsb , crashes on 3d mark 03 and super pi,, not cpu holding back, ram

Schaef
02-11-2005, 12:14 AM
I have just gotten my DFI UT SLI-D and in the rush of the last few days I had forgotten about the EPS12V 24pin connection. Am I able to just plug the 20pin connection in and leave the 4pins free over the weekend untill I can find a solution? I have an Antec True550watt psu.

It seems that some motherboard makers have made it possible to do this. Though I read that people have been warned about how nforce4s react to power problems, such as letting all the power drain removing componets. It sounded kinda extreme and I dont wanna wreck this board.

andyOCZ
02-11-2005, 12:30 AM

The BIOS settings to run VX (or any RAM) on the DFI NF4 are really critical and so is your PSU. If you list your system components and PSU, I will check out your rig. I will also post A64 Tweaker settings for you to help with the BIOS.

Schaef
02-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Seems DFI does support 20pin connector so I am in luck :p:
Cant wait to see how this 4200el Plat goes with my 3200+ week49 winnie :D

mrlobber
02-11-2005, 01:02 AM
The BIOS settings to run VX (or any RAM) on the DFI NF4 are really critical and so is your PSU. If you list your system components and PSU, I will check out your rig. I will also post A64 Tweaker settings for you to help with the BIOS.

Ok, thanks.
My system:

DFI LP UT SLI-D A00, 2/09 bios
A64 Winnie 3200+
2x512meg OCZ VX
Voodoo3 PCI (temporary, but all testing done with this card so far)
80GB IDE harddrive (not yet messed around with SATA HDD's I have)
PCP&C 510W, however it's the 20pin PSU (do we see a problem here?). The PSU voltages are rock solid, as you might expect from PCP&C (12.2, 5.2, 3.42). Not sure about the voltages on board though, as I don't know where to measure Vcore, for instance.

Stock heatsink on the cpu, a 120mm fan blowing diagonally on memory and on the 5v Vdimm switch and mosfet area.

Not yet replaced the stock TIM on the chipset. Might help as it's temps seem to run quite hot right now (over 40C usually), the room ambient is around 22C.

Looking at your pic, what can I say:

* my timings are (in A64 Tweaker order):
2-7-16-2-2-10-2-2-2-2-200mhz 3.9ms-16x-128-D-D-7x-7ns-5ns-16clks-E-200. With them, I'm memtest stable at 261 1:1, 3.4Vdimm, 1.55Vcore, 1.6 chipset.

* have not tried CAS 1.5

* my VX refuses to boot on the DFI with any Tras lower than 8, regardless of any other memory settings, if Tcl, Trp and Trcd are 2-2-2. That is, the system posts, but as soon as it should access the boot device (floppy, hdd, cd-rom), it hangs with black screen and a blinking cursor at the lower left corner of the display.

* well, and my system is not Prime stable even at 235htt with 1.55Vcore (VX is memtest stable at these settings with 3.2V with both Vdimm methods (3.3v and 5v as well)). If Prime runs, the load temperature in SmartGuardian rockets up to 50C, idle around 30.

andyOCZ
02-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Ok, thanks.
My system:

DFI LP UT SLI-D A00, 2/09 bios
A64 Winnie 3200+
2x512meg OCZ VX
Voodoo3 PCI (temporary, but all testing done with this card so far)
80GB IDE harddrive (not yet messed around with SATA HDD's I have)
PCP&C 510W, however it's the 20pin PSU (do we see a problem here?). The PSU voltages are rock solid, as you might expect from PCP&C (12.2, 5.2, 3.42). Not sure about the voltages on board though, as I don't know where to measure Vcore, for instance.

Stock heatsink on the cpu, a 120mm fan blowing diagonally on memory and on the 5v Vdimm switch and mosfet area.

Not yet replaced the stock TIM on the chipset. Might help as it's temps seem to run quite hot right now (over 40C usually), the room ambient is around 22C.

Judging from what you have there our systems are near identical. Will your Winnie run Prime95 at stock speeds? Some won't. I RMA'ed a week 37 that was awful. My week 41 is very good on this board, yet sucked on the MSI.

As far as PSU I have a 600w Powerstream running (of course) and i know I have no power issues whatsoever. You may very well be having power problems because of your 20 pin connector. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

Anyone having luck with a 20 pin PSU on this board?

Lidocaine
02-11-2005, 05:21 AM
The board seems FANTASTIC when one spends ALOT of time "under-the-hood" tweaking it juuuuuuust right.

What concerns me is this board ending up in the "wrong hands".........meaning someone "inexperienced" in building, tweaking, and the likes.

I liken it to buying a dragster for a first time driver..........lOl....."Daddy, I can't keep it between the lines, must be something wrong with the steering wheel!"........no what I mean? :D

Disclaimer: This is an overall general statement, not for anyone here, except me.....(me = noob :D ). :moon:

xgman
02-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Two Questions:

Anyone else using the DFI "Smart Speed" utility to check temps/volts and it has no readings?

Also, is there any benefit when overclocking and using only 1 vid card in the SLI-DR, to pluging in both the 4 pin molex AND the little floppy drive type power connector on the MB for added stability? If so, one or both? This is assuming you already have a 24 pin PS.

slayer899
02-11-2005, 08:33 AM

Andy, I'm going to be setting my system up today and using the OCZ 3200 EL Plat rev.2 2x512 ram, so if you could post or suggest tweaks and settings for that I'd appreciate it :D

ViperJohn
02-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Judging from what you have there our systems are near identical. Will your Winnie run Prime95 at stock speeds? Some won't. I RMA'ed a week 37 that was awful. My week 41 is very good on this board, yet sucked on the MSI.

As far as PSU I have a 600w Powerstream running (of course) and i know I have no power issues whatsoever. You may very well be having power problems because of your 20 pin connector. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

Anyone having luck with a 20 pin PSU on this board?

Have my Ultra-D running on the test bench with an x850XT-PE, pair of HD's, burner and it
running fine with an Enermax EG365P (350W, 26A 12V rail) 20 pin PS.

My week 51 3500 Winnie is a POS though.

Viper

platty
02-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Got a DFI SLI DR here. Only 1 6800Gt installed atm. Have 4 case fans, 1 CPU fan, 2 Hdd's, 2 optical drives and a cold cathode.

Have all power connectors installed. Running on a PC&C 510. Everything is ok and Windows has installed. Will get out prime and see what the power rails stay like when under load.

Then I might install the second 6800 :)

computersmsa
02-11-2005, 09:58 AM
http://home.scarlet.be/~pascpiet/DV/CG/DFInF4/cmout.jpg

What you want ? :banana:

Xerxes
02-11-2005, 10:13 AM
I just got my ultra-d and so far everything is going smoothly. my came with the 1/25 bios flashed it to the 2/01 and installed xp with no issues except for the fact the 6.39 ethernet drivers suck. my pqi 2x512 tccd is running 2-2-2-7 @ the default 2.6V no problems so far, ran a quick 15min memtest (test #5 and a few min of the default test also) on it and am going to run p95 to see how it fairs there.

TheMeatFrog
02-11-2005, 10:58 AM
http://home.scarlet.be/~pascpiet/DV/CG/DFInF4/cmout.jpg

What you want ? :banana:
LMAO that picture makes me :slobber:

Snowman89
02-11-2005, 11:25 AM
cant get over 450fsb :( i can run 450 superpi etc but at 451 it locks up and wont load xp

|SiLA|
02-11-2005, 11:32 AM
any of u guys havin trouble with sata disks in raid 0? here's what I'm having now when i try to transfer some big files(like ut2k4 demo) from my 1t pc(dfi sli-dr bla bla) to my server it keeps locking my ffxp(flashfxp) but if check my server ftp prog(raiden)it goes like 200kb/s instead of 20mb/s avg

i have 2 maxtor 160gb 8mb cache on sata port 1&2 using the cd drivers..i tried the lastest nvidia release but the same got port 3-4 disabled on bios same for the silicon port

what it could be?how I'm going to fix it?

cheers

edit:

it's like I have issue with sata drivers or paging file on windows :(

running my 3000 winny @2,61 ram vitesta tccd 566 2x256 @290 2,5-4-3-7 1T DC

Dumo
02-11-2005, 11:37 AM
What you want ? :banana:Install one of the sli-dr and max everythig out...run it for 2x24 hrs. See if it stable and ok :D

computersmsa
02-11-2005, 03:00 PM
LoL :D
It's mobo for a grouped order that I have organized in Belgium (5 SLI-DR not in the picture).

I still wait CPU and GC for testing it :)

[G.N.U.]Fragman
02-11-2005, 08:12 PM
just transferred the money for my SLI-DR and winny 3200+....just need the cpu cooler to be sent....and the gfx card (and that can take a while :( )

jikdoc
02-11-2005, 08:54 PM
@andyOCZ

any tips on tccd memory settings?

i'm running:
fx55 vapo
4200el, vx
dfi nf4 sli-dr
x850xt pe watercooled
zippy 700w psu (works perfectly fine in 3.3 vdimm settings, much more stable than my ocz520)
raptor raid0 74x2

i'm running a prime stable oc at 3.0, max bench 3.1 this is way below what i know the cpu to be capable of on the godforsaken msi neo2. on that board, i was getting 3.2 prime, 3.5 max bench.

given your experience with a crappy winnie, i might put in my 0433 to see if it does better on this board.

also, when running single gfx cards, is the molex/floppy connection any benefit? i don't notice anything and it's a bit messy to have them in there.

[G.N.U.]Fragman
02-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Seems DFI does support 20pin connector so I am in luck :p:
Cant wait to see how this 4200el Plat goes with my 3200+ week49 winnie :D

you better tell me what problems and tips :) i have same ram and cpu next week :)

about USB..it aint good if there is a lot of problems with that...my keyboard has a usb 1.1 hub and mouse, steering wheel and webcams ar all usb..... :(

brassen
02-12-2005, 01:57 AM
Yesterday I got my DFI Ultra-D and installed everything. It all went fine and I left the computer on overnight to transfer some files to it, and this morning everything was still working fine. I started installing important programs such as Norton Antivirus 2005 and ISS Blackice. Once I was done installing blackice I was surfing around on the internet and suddenly the BSOD appears and the computer reboots. I heard a short signal from the motherboard while this happens, and another one when the computer boots up again. I got into windows again and I sit there looking at the desktop for a while. After a while the bluescreen reappears and the computer reboots again. I decided to raise VDimm to 3.2 for my VX and boot the computer again. Now the BSOD randomly appears after logging into Windows, but sometimes it does not. Please help

All settings in bios are at standard except for the vdimm voltage. I'm using bios 1/25. I am using the chipset drivers included on the cd that came with the motherboard. It appears the BSOD always appears again after a while, not always after the log in.

Wingz
02-12-2005, 02:39 AM
Yesterday I got my DFI Ultra-D and installed everything. It all went fine and I left the computer on overnight to transfer some files to it, and this morning everything was still working fine. I started installing important programs such as Norton Antivirus 2005 and ISS Blackice. Once I was done installing blackice I was surfing around on the internet and suddenly the BSOD appears and the computer reboots. I heard a short signal from the motherboard while this happens, and another one when the computer boots up again. I got into windows again and I sit there looking at the desktop for a while. After a while the bluescreen reappears and the computer reboots again. I decided to raise VDimm to 3.2 for my VX and boot the computer again. Now the BSOD randomly appears after logging into Windows, but sometimes it does not. Please help

All settings in bios are at standard except for the vdimm voltage. I'm using bios 1/25. I am using the chipset drivers included on the cd that came with the motherboard. It appears the BSOD always appears again after a while, not always after the log in.

Update to the newest bios http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52726

brassen
02-12-2005, 03:30 AM
Update to the newest bios http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52726

So how exactly do I do that when windowz reboots all the time?

wampir
02-12-2005, 03:40 AM
Does anyone have dfi sli or ultra-d with antec TP480W (20 pins ) and x800Xl or something similar working stable ????

Wingz
02-12-2005, 04:00 AM
So how exactly do I do that when windowz reboots all the time?

you make a bootup disk and flash the bios in DOS. May blackice or norton is causing the problem? uninstall them to seel if that helps.