PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fix for Zippy-DFI nF4 5v jumper bug.

Nanobot
04-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Any Zippy DFI nf4 owners capable of verifying this ? Please report your findings.

Originaly posted in the DFI NF4 Ultra/SLi-D BUGS and Fixes Thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=807675#post807675)

Hey guys, fake login here so i apologise for that, dont want to register...

as to people commenting on tony (bigtoe) running 3.3V and greater without using the 5V rail, thats an easy one.

Grab that nice block you use to set your ram voltages to 5V, and move it one row down, so the pins nearest the edge of the boot (should be 3 pins) have nothing covering them. Then get a spare jumper, and cover the uncovered pin as if it were on 3.3V

the pins closest to the ATX plug control the bios options, the one furthest away is the one that chooses 3.3V / 5.0V rail... so its simple, mix and match.

(you need adjusted rails to do this, 3.7V rail gets you about 3.5V in bios)

confirmation: move the block one step towards the ATX plug, as if it were 5V. use a normal jumper such as that on a HD, to cover the pins that are left as if it were 3.3V. this gives you the bios options, but on the 3.3V rail...

FYI:There is a known Zippy PSU 5v jumper bug on the DFI nF4 motherboards.
A few of the members here have actually sold their Zippys just because of this.

With the Hypro MOD the 3.3v line can be upped quite bit:Modding a ZIPPY 700Watts PSU....12V - 5V - 3.3V... (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53424)

My 3.3v pot only goes up to 3.43 max on my Zippy.I also dont have any memory other than TCCD so I cant try the fix.

Does anyone have original thread link on Bigtoe running 3.3V and greater without using the 5V jumper setting ?

conrad.maranan
04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Bump.

eva2000
04-13-2005, 06:44 AM
interesting

jikdoc
05-03-2005, 03:27 PM
been away from oc'ing for a while (work and stuff) but gonna go san diego. i'll try this trick out and report on whether it works with zippy. my zippy isn't modded but i upped the pot to 3.4 which is about what i'd need to get my utt's running close to what i want. i'm running 250 2226 at 3.2v with tight trc/trfc. hopefully 3.4 will get me 260ish. just waiting on the diego atm.

jikdoc
05-04-2005, 08:27 PM
so the trick definitely works but there are some caveats. i can boot into windows but my ethernet doesn't work as do various usb devices. might have to play with the usb jumpers. system also isn't very stable but that could be because i'm playing with a new cpu, newcastle 3500. (for you phase change owners out there, NEVER play with the pins while the cpu is still frozen cold. i broke off a pin on an fx55 doing that and it's dead. thankfully, i ordered a sandy 3700 last week) moreover, i'm not that sure that you're running off the 3v line with this trick. i think it's more that the trick lets you boot in the 5v mode. i noticed the mosfet that gets hot when you boot into 5v mode got really really hot, just like it does when i use 5v with the ocz 520. in addition if i set 3.7 volts (i'm only modded to 3.55 on the zippy), the bios still reads 3.7v for the dram setting. if someone else could work out the usb bugs, this could be a workable solution to the dfi zippy bug.