PDA

View Full Version : powerstreeam 520 squeals??

charlie
04-10-2005, 01:21 AM
anyone ever heard a squealing/tweeting sound from the psu during heavy load???

:shrug:

Jupiler
04-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Does the PSU make a thicking sound after it's shut off?
I'm asking; because mine does the same.
Something about the Active PFC needing to be replaced.
Drop bigtoe a PM, I'm sure he can help you out.

charlie
04-12-2005, 06:34 PM
bump??

RyderOCZ
04-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Only under load Charlie? or even idling?
Describe it for me as best you can.

Thanks

charlie
04-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Only under load Charlie? or even idling?
Describe it for me as best you can.

Thanks

deffo' only under load...
right when I click "start" on a sPi for example...
strange, huh? It still works ok... as far as I can tell. Great immovable rails... even with dual 6800U it barely moved...

C

RyderOCZ
04-13-2005, 04:07 PM
If you have verified with a DVM that things are good, and you have no stability issues, I wouldn't worry to much...Have you ever heard the chokes "sing" or "squeal" on a mobo? Does it sound like that? If that is the sound, then its probably just one inside the PSU that vibrates slightly under load. :)

matt9669
04-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Man I hate that high frequency squeal too - got a mobo here that does it, only one I have in a closed case :lol:

charlie
04-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Yeah, it's certainly NOT the motherboard or GPU, with my Fortron 530W, it is quiet....
:(

C

TekXoID
04-14-2005, 09:34 PM
My ultra 500w x-connect did that. Oh the noises it made...what a junky piece of lard.

The OCZ PowerStream is, noise wise, nonexistent. At least for me.

Jupiler
04-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Charlie :
when you shut down your rig, does your PSU make a ticking sound?
Because mine did the same, and I had the Active PFC replaced yesterday. Squealing and ticking is gone now.

RyderOCZ
04-15-2005, 03:36 AM
No, what I meant was Charlie, have you heard the chokes sing on a motherboard, is that the type of sound your PSU is making? We can certainly swap you out for a unit that doesn't do that, send me an email, its in my sig :)

Psyche911
04-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Don't bother sending it back. Not yet at least. I have this problem and it's still here with my new PowerStream after RMAing the first.

I bought the 420 watt unit and it did this. I never heard it until I started up Prime95 torture test (Max power consumption & heat). Then it starts squealing. Once in awhile during a game I would think I could hear it too, but wasn't sure, it wasn't as bad.

So I e-mailed OCZ and they said (I quote this from their response e-mail):
"The problems you describe are definitely not normal and we should replace your PSU."

So, I ship it back to them, and about a week later my replacement arrives (maybe even under a week, I was extremely happy with OCZ's service). So, I plug it in, boot up, start Prime 95 torture test, and guess what? It still does it.

I would like to see if more PowerStream owners could run this test and listen closely for their PSU. I have a quiet setup, so it was easy to hear, but if you don't have a quiet setup, open the case and put your ear closer or turn your fans down if possible.

There is no way my system is overloading this unit. I know 420 watts isn't unatainable with today's systems, but the unit even did it when I disconnected all optional components.

I just had the following connected when it still did it:

P4 2.4C (Northwood) at stock speed & voltage (1.525)
ASUS P4C800E Deluxe mobo
Radeon 9800 Pro w/ ATi Silencer 1
2x512 Mushkin BH-5 RAM at stock speed and minimal VDIMM (1.55)
CPU fan was the fan on the Arctic Cooler Freezer 4
1 Seagate 7200.7 HD (S-ATA)

My 1 optical drive was disconnected as were all my case fans and fan controller, along with all USB devices except mouse, and I still get the noise.

P.S. I've decided to try to get a feel for how widespread this is. If any of you with the Powerstream could please read and participate in this thread, that would be much appreciated:

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60362

DGeNeRaT3
04-24-2005, 12:55 PM
I HAD an OCZ Powerstream 520w that was doing the same thing. I kept putting my ear directly over the motherboard as i was sure it was comming from the motherboard. After listening closely for some time i found out it was comming from the PSU but i had to confirm. so what i did was i jumperd the PSU and fired it up with 1 120mm fan and turned it on...no squeel....so i shut it off and added a second 120mm fan and turned it on..no squeel....hmm..so i added 2 more 80mm fans and one more 120mm fan (thats al i had) and sure enough when i turned the PSU on this time there was a squeel comming from it. I also noticed that whenever i ran 3dmark or ran Super PI that the squeel would return so, it was whenever the system was underload. This PSU has recently died and it was sent back and OCZ game me a new one no problem at all..fantastic service.

Dgen

lizardmech
04-25-2005, 12:12 AM
I have this exact problem as well, the sound doesn't worry that much is it safe to keep using it?

Highland3r
05-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Had a 420 do the same under prime load. Only did it on the NF7 though, was fine when tested on a DFI UI and it seems ok on this Neo2 as well. Tested on multiple NF7's and 2 supplies did the same (got an RMA on the first from OCZ)
Chokes on this mobo squeal though, similar on the DFI UI however only experienced squeal after moving to the powerstream, board was "silent" with an anothe supply (ThermalTake 420)

charlie
05-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Strange... only does it on my P5P800 under heavy load. I'm just going to keep it, it seems to work fine.

C