PDA

View Full Version : My wireless network craps out at night

Chris27
04-09-2005, 05:27 PM
why is this? :confused: and can I do something about it?

I have verizon dsl and the router is a westell modem/wireless g router. my computer has a netgear wirless g pci card. I am a story up and about 20' to the left of the router. moving my computer doesnt help. and my dad doesnt like it if i take the modem and give him the wireless card ;) since it works crappier for him since his computer is shoved into a corner and would get almost no signal.

Disposibleteen
04-10-2005, 02:44 PM
does the computer that is hardwired into the cable line still work at night? If not it could be interference or some routers even have a setting where they shut off during certain times (mine shuts itself off at 3am and comes back on at 2:30PM so no one can get on the internet on my computer when im not there)

Chris27
04-11-2005, 02:35 PM
I read some trouble shooting faq's at the netgear site and it said that the wireless card should be at least 2' from metal objects. My comp was right next to the leg of my desk (which is basically a t shaped metal pipe.) I moved my comp and it seems to have fixed all of the connectivity issues I have been having.

sllywhtboy
04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
2.4ghz phones? performance drop with the microwave going?

try changing channels on teh access point. if it's 6, switch it to 1 or 11 (or visa versa)

if you're using winxp and its wireless network client, disable the scanning for other access points

try moving the access point to higher ground. also, antenna coveriage is like a doughnut around the antenna. it goes up, down, and out to a certain point. a higher-gain antenna would yield you a "flatter" doughnut. this gets you more range, but less "height."