PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes i wonder, HOW do you get your gear??

DeBastaard
12-04-2002, 02:14 PM
Ok well some people here always have the newest of the newest hardware etc... do you people just work and spend all your money at it? or do you get sponsored? I'm just wondering because i'm just a "poor" student who's dad is always pissed when i want to buy something new to OC. for example he was really pissed at me when we were buying new memory and i WANTED some Samsung PC2700 (yes i know what you're gonna say but the Corsair was just a little over the edge in price :().

And how do all of you less-rich peeps get all the gear? i usually save some money for something that i really, really want. and i don't always have the newest of the newest ... most of the time i update once in a 2-3months or so..
next update: Tbred or Ti4200/4400, depending on what i want, good 3dmark score or high oc....

Reply's please :)

Galifrey
12-04-2002, 02:18 PM
we use credit cards :D

muzz
12-04-2002, 02:32 PM
LMAO Galifrey!!! bahahahaha ooooooooooooooooooo we payyyyyyyyyyyy. credit cards........ some do, and that would explain why they are always online, as they have no $ left to do anything else.;) :D

Viscous cycle it is.

shray
12-04-2002, 02:34 PM
i use those stupid cheap azz pay to surf and pay to read email programs!

muzz
12-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Guess your not making much if they r stupid and cheap azzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
BTW How much IS cheap?

Galifrey
12-04-2002, 02:42 PM
nah seriously, I am lucky to have a well paid job, and my hobby is PC's and overclocking... so I spend money when I feel its justified...

I dint see much point grabbing a 9700 when GF FX is out soon, but that I will buy :D

RacerX27
12-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Well, mostly what i do is sell what I have, I dont keep stuff for more then 60 days. Lets say a new motherboard. The last one was $180 US$ An IT7max2. If I want a new motherboard, and the current selling price of the IT7max2 is $160, I'll ask $150 in a hot deals forum or Ebay. Maybe I'll get $140 for the board. I spent $40 to use a board for 60 days about $20 a month. Sometimes it works out better then that. I go by another new MB for say $165, I'm only out $25 that month and I have a brand new board.

When I get enough parts that I can build another complete system, I find a friend or family member that needs a deal on a new computer. Remember most of my parts are less then 90days old and are tested and tried, so they know its a good system.

Currently I am out of friends that need systems, all the family members that are nearby have 'new' system thanks to me, and nobody wants to upgrade. LOL.

Basically I rent my parts....:)

muzz
12-04-2002, 02:47 PM
I've always used ATi cards, but haven't gotten the 9700 yet ( still limping along with my 8500), I am going to wait awhile and see what transpires when the FX comes out. Of course that's if my credit card don't jump out of my pocket first!!!!!:D

RacerX27
12-04-2002, 02:51 PM
I'm going to pass on the FX, Nvidia may never have Ati's image quality.

shray
12-04-2002, 02:57 PM
20-30$$ a month with no referrals...

SupaMan
12-04-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by RacerX

dunno about that :) One of the biggest things about GFFX is that nvidia is switching emphasis from speed to IQ.... it will be interesting.

Johnny Knoxvill
12-04-2002, 03:27 PM
i download my hardware ;)

Marci
12-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Well, my place of work helps (see sig)...

The trick is to get all your hardware up to top of the range standards... then you keep it for a month, sell it on for slightly less than you paid for it, put a £10 in towards and then get the next one out / next model up... Do it with each piece of hardware, then start the cycle again.

I rarely keep a mobo in my rig for more than a month... CPUs hang around a while unless I fall over a nice one...

Ram at the moment is a free sample from Corsair, but that's just been popped out temporarily while I check out a stick of Samsung 512Mb PC3200 I've just got me mits on...

Graphics card... desparate customer wanted a Ti4200 and we were out of stock so I sold him mine for £10 less than retail as it's only about a month old... then bought a Ti4600 off Mav secondhand...

HDDs are the only things I generally have to save up n fork out for. Had the same CD-RW, Monitor and DVD etc for a while, and have always used same PSU...

Failing that... User Sales section on my website... shifted my old modded 802 thru there to get me my Chieftec AH-001SLD Aluminium case (that reminds of a sherman-tank for some reason)

Ranger Loki
12-04-2002, 03:51 PM
When I was SERIOUSLY addicted to Computers less than a month ago, I would pretty much be like a drunk, spend any dime I could get my hands on for the lastest hardware.

I am having to try really hard to not buy another computer or upgrade, getting 13-14K points in 3D Mark is good enough for now!:stick:

DoGMaN
12-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Con a local store keeper, like I did. ;)

sysfailur
12-04-2002, 05:06 PM
*points to this thread* http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5193

majormav
12-04-2002, 06:39 PM
hehehe what fun it is getting new hardware however the cost does become a burden after a while trying to keep 3 rigs top notch but at the mo im managing be selling off hardware and adding new stuff that 2 years ago the local pub was getting the cash ... a few m8ts round and a good old pc session goes down well .............. just want to say sig is outa date by a few months new one coming soon

Road_Runner
12-04-2002, 08:53 PM
er....the old fashioned way....

embezzlement :)

Originally posted by DeBastaard
Ok well some people here always have the newest of the newest hardware etc... do you people just work and spend all your money at it? or do you get sponsored? I'm just wondering because i'm just a "poor" student who's dad is always pissed when i want to buy something new to OC. for example he was really pissed at me when we were buying new memory and i WANTED some Samsung PC2700 (yes i know what you're gonna say but the Corsair was just a little over the edge in price :().

And how do all of you less-rich peeps get all the gear? i usually save some money for something that i really, really want. and i don't always have the newest of the newest ... most of the time i update once in a 2-3months or so..
next update: Tbred or Ti4200/4400, depending on what i want, good 3dmark score or high oc....

Reply's please :)

JBELL
12-05-2002, 01:38 AM
I pay for most of mine but need sponsership... lol

TheDude
12-05-2002, 06:50 AM
Gun point :cool:

JBELL
12-05-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
Gun point :cool:

I thought about that one hehehe

CCW
12-30-2002, 12:05 PM
I pay for mine using saturday job in computer shop (Im 15) next purchase is Asus A7N8X and 256 3500 RAM as soon as supplier is open again.

Svenn
12-30-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by RacerX27

I've been an nVidia user since my old GF2 that I upgraded from a Voodoo 3. I've been thinking of switching to ATI for that exact reason. I thought my system looked nice, until I saw an Alienware with a 9700 at work (I work at Best Buy). Oh my god it was sweet ass. Jedi Knight 2 looked so much better than it did on my system with my 4600. I'll try the GFFX, but if the image quality isn't there, I may have to switch to an ATI fan.

marvt74
01-28-2003, 11:01 AM
hey marci wanna give me a nice discount at over-clock.co.uk?

CCW
01-28-2003, 11:43 AM
lol, and here too please!! :D

Craig