PDA

View Full Version : Should i put Creamique on the NorthBridge?

Unrealcpu
04-05-2005, 05:29 PM
DFI Ultra D , ?

I had to RMA my board and should be receiveing a new board soon. My fan actually stopped working and overheated my northbridge on the Ultra D. Do you think putting artic creamique will help at all? I am using a vapochill LS.
thanks

twilius_basic
04-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Probably not worth it, just replace the cooler if you want to see a difference.

Unrealcpu
04-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Probably not worth it, just replace the cooler if you want to see a difference.

Have you ever seen the DFI Ultra D cooler , there is no clearance for a good aftermarket cooler.

WeStSiDePLaYa
04-05-2005, 06:02 PM
defiently do it dude. most of the time they dont even put enough TIM on the chip in the firstplace. I personally cant believe your use phase change and havent replaced the TIM on your NB.

muzz
04-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Yep, the Ultra/sli cooler is in such a bad spot its pathetic.
I have never seen so much oversight in my life.
I know there's only so much real estate, but cmon thats just stupid.
I guess if ya only have 1 card ya can move the VCard to the other slot ( others have done this and performance drop is said to be negligible) and then install a different HSF there, even the edge of that will be tight, but it's probably what I'm gonna try.

coop
04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
put what on there?

NST6563
04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I put ceramique on my NB. One of the first things I did when I got the board (after I had it setup and running). The stock TIM is crap. I think it was spearimint flavored wrigley's gum or some crap. Used my fingernail to scrape most of it off and then acetone to clean the rest off. After putting ceramique on the NB, it dropped the temps a few c (about 3 I think). nothing that won't hurt.

coop
04-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I've noticed that in cleaning some of the stock paste off it looks as though it has silver in it already, like the stuff on the AMD box cooler and 6800 HS. Still replaced it with AS but are they are using it in the first place?

Unrealcpu
04-05-2005, 06:19 PM
I've noticed that in cleaning some of the stock paste off it looks as though it has silver in it already, like the stuff on the AMD box cooler and 6800 HS. Still replaced it with AS but are they are using it in the first place?

So you think i should remove the pads as well , then add the creamique?

NST6563
04-05-2005, 06:30 PM
you guys must have a different TIM than what was on mine. It was the standard pink gummy pad. Wasn't even pasty. If it was at least a silvery paste I may have left it :p:

Necromonger
04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
So you think i should remove the pads as well , then add the creamique?
I would, I also lapped the heatsink, because mine wasn't perfectly flat!

cantankerous
04-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I use ceramique on everything. NB, cpu and gpu and have no complaints at all on its performance.

zeebs
04-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Call me a dork but I lapped the DFI NF4 NB sink as well. It was really ridgey and not flat at all. After that I put on some AS and removed the stupid elipses shapded shroud to gain some more clearance for my vcard.

Tibu
04-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Would lapping and adding AS5 to the chipset void the DFi warranty?

EnJoY
04-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Grab the Vantec copper chipset cooler and use AS5 with it. That'll keep your chipset cool and it will clear the video cards without a problem. I also use it on my DFI NF3, but I know that's a totally different story.

Necromonger
04-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Would lapping and adding AS5 to the chipset void the DFi warranty?
It probably would void the DFI warranty, just like it voids the warranty if you apply AS5 to a AMD CPU!

Tibu
04-05-2005, 08:09 PM
AMD wouldn't be able to tell... Would they? :slap:

dnottis
04-05-2005, 08:11 PM

LOL Hell no - just clean it up with some isopropyl alcohol.

Necromonger
04-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Never underestimate the powers of AMD! But in all reality who knows! I highly don’t think so, unless, AMD looks at their RMA’s under an electron microscope. LOL

conrad.maranan
04-05-2005, 08:38 PM
I will not tolerate any discussions regarding fraudulent returns. You guys are pushing it close to the edge so I suggest you cease at this moment.

12. The management of this Forum does not condone theft, trading in stolen property, fraudulent return of merchandise, or the aiding and abetting of those who do. Any such discussions regarding stolen property or fraudulent returns will be dealt with swiftly, and the offending member risks complete loss of membership privileges in our Forums.
You will be hard pressed to find a moderator who will exercise any leniency with regard to this policy. I, for one, have zero tolerance for it.

lastdon00
04-05-2005, 08:41 PM
i was told differently from an amd rep that u can use other thermal pastes besides the amd on.. but u gotta use the amd cooler

coop
04-05-2005, 08:55 PM
That is why I was asking about the material on the bottom of the box hs. I am fairly sure they don't encourage the use of silver type compounds, but when I was cleaning it off it sure seemed like there was alot of it in that 3/4" square patch.

conrad.maranan
04-05-2005, 08:57 PM
You can use any thermal compund you wish to use. However, use of any cooling mechanism other than the AMD retail-boxed HSF will void the warranty on your retail boxed processor.

I hope that helps.

Dumo
04-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Connect your NB fan to PSUs molex connector to bypass bios setting...