PDA

View Full Version : What to do for phase change?

Svenn
12-04-2002, 08:16 AM
Well, Punisher backed out and now I have no one building me a phase change system. I'd attempt it myself but I have no idea at all how to go about it. I was thinking of buying a Prometeia, but after knowing that I can get lower temps and also have a water chiller... I don't know what to do now. I'm also worried about the Prom fitting my case since I have a cube server case... Anyone know where I could get a custom phase change system built? Or have any ideas on what to do about getting a phase change system? Thanks

TheDude
12-04-2002, 01:23 PM
I am happy with my Prommie for now, but I have an old AC unit that I want to play with one day. It seems to me that the fun would be to build your own. I have a long way to go to get there, but am going to give it a try before long.
You might ask aenigma for help or advice on this. He knows his sh*t and might be willing to point you in the right direction or help you over the bumpy parts without making you feel like an idiot.:D

aenigma
12-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Thanks for recomending me TheDude :D
I was going to recomend a window a/c also, you took the words right outa my mouth :)
Not only can you make a waterchiller out of it pretty easily, but if you ever want to go all out and make a direct die system, it is a perfect condenser/compressor combo to use.

Svenn
12-05-2002, 01:09 AM
Well I was hoping for direct die plus water chilling... aenigma, would you be interested in building me a system?

TheDude
12-05-2002, 06:57 AM
aenigma,

I will probably be bugging you for advice in a while, when I get time to strip the ac unit down.:D I am thinking of taking a refrig class at the local Voc school, plus my friends father owns a heating and cooling business and can help me with prices on tools and such.

Svenn,

You guys should probably take this to PMs if you want to work out some kind of deal.:D Please know that I am not in a position to endorse anyone at all to perform services for hire, that's entirely your choice. I was just thinking that he would be a good person to get help and advice from.:D

Svenn
12-05-2002, 08:43 AM
I know Dude, but I've seen his posts and things and I've heard several people say he knows his stuff... So I figured I'd ask... Punisher said to ask him when he told me he couldn't do mine anymore... aenigma, PM me please and let me know if you'd be interested...

TheDude
12-05-2002, 08:53 AM
LOL I'm not saying don't ask him either...I just have to stay neutral in such matters. He knows his stuff for sure!:D

aenigma
12-05-2002, 08:28 PM
Well the problem with me bulding you a system is you would pobably want it to look somewhat good :D
Everything I build looks pretty ugly, but I do it for function over form....
I would be glad to help you in making your own system.It is pretty easy.Getting the tools is the hardest part.Once you have your gauges vacuum pump and miscellaneous tools such as pipe cutters, pipe expanders, flaring tools etc. then your set.

Dissolved
12-05-2002, 09:48 PM
id also like some help. my moms bf works on air conditioners all the time, So he has the gas/liquids for me to use. i can probly get the parts rather cheap, but im clueless on what id need, or how to do it.
he knows 0 about computers, so when i talk to him, he doesnt know what id like to do..

Id really like to try this. i was gonna save for a prommie, but i can probly build my own for half the price or less seeing he can get discounts at the stores.

Thanks

aenigma
12-05-2002, 09:58 PM
If he has the stuff, you can build it for alot less than half.I don't see how he wouldn't understand what you want to do.Well yes I do, alot of hvac guys are like that...
Just explain to him that you want to use a waterblock as an evaporator to cool your cpu.If he doesn't understand then hes only good for supplying you with the tools and refrigerant :)

Dissolved
12-05-2002, 10:09 PM
he doesnt understand at all.. he works on air conditioners.. thats it.. he works on his own job.

aenigma
12-05-2002, 11:00 PM
Yeah its a wonder these guys can even work on air conditioners/refrigerators etc. without knowing the basics of refrigeration.

I know someone like that.When I went to him for help when I was learning about refrigeration, he couldn't even grasp the idea of waterchilling.Went off telling me about his nuclear sub days in the army and about how he almost lost his business bla bla bla. :)

Air conditioning, refrigerators, freezers, nuclear reactor cooling using nitrogen, it is all the same principal.But somehow they never learn it....

Dissolved
12-05-2002, 11:10 PM
he was in the navy on a nuclear sub too! LOL

aenigma
12-06-2002, 01:50 AM
What are the chances of that? :D