PDA

View Full Version : God of War is good

craig588
04-05-2005, 02:53 AM
Another "review" from my X is good series

Remember those things like plot and background info? Throw them out. You start off right in the middle of action with incredibly versitile weapons already at your disposal. The entire game is about fighting, so the designers decided to put a variety of ways to kill people in it. You could just use your standard attacks all day long and get fairly similar animations and fight sequences, and your magic attacks each have their own way of presenting someones death, but there are also images of buttons that appear over enemies heads. If you push that button you will initiate a minigame where you need to push the correct sequence of buttons as the flash on the screen. (During which you still see your charactar fighting and recting to each button press) The minigame deaths are rather graphic, you can twist someones head off, stab them through the eye, through the mouth, grab their eyes and pull them out, or smash their head agianst the ground so it explodes. Then there is the button they call the grab button, but they could have just as well called it the ultra violent/ironic death button. You can jump in the air and then push the "grab" button twice and your charactar will proceed to hit a flying harpy to the ground, land on top of it and then rip its wings off. You can use it to break a guys neck and then attach that guy to your "whip sword" thing and spin him around, hitting his friends in the process.

What makes these deaths so entertaining is the animation. There is no question of, "did the game really just let me stab someone through the eye or was it a odd animation glitch?" It will zoom in at just the right speed so you don't get distracted from the action, slow the engine down a little bit so you really see what is going on and let you observe the death animation in all its glory, then it will seamlessly zoom out and you can continue fighting. There are never boring animations, everything (So far, I'm only about 2-3 hours into it) fits perfectly and is just short enough to be interesting but not distracting.

Reflex1
04-05-2005, 06:13 AM
ive read a lot about this game, havn't played it yet tho ...

u make it sound like a kill ém up game. :D

craig588
04-05-2005, 08:29 PM
It is a fantastic gameplay based game. The graphics are pretty average (Except there is one scene were they used a HL2 engine type rendering trick), the sound is nothing impressive. That isn't to say they are bad, just pretty standard.

Your hands will be all over the controller, you regularly use L buttons, the analog stick, and the regular face buttons all at once. You really feel like you are interacting with the game. It's like a fighting game with all of the combos you can perform, but you have large levels to walk around in and the fights acctually let you use all 3 dimensions. (You don't just walk forward and backward while occasionally jumping)

The action is sort of like contra, your start out the game already incredibly powered up and everything happens very quickly, it's never boring.

I'm playing it on hard right now, but it does have and extra difficulty mode that is unlocked once you beat the game, I hope that will make the game maddeningly difficult. I like hard games, easy ones put me to sleep unless it's something like GTA where you can freely wander around and make up your own challenges. (Shoot out your bikes tires enter the wanted cheat and try to make it to ever single city without getting knocked off, add extra wanted stars if it's too easy)

ocmyface
04-06-2005, 09:06 PM
just got it today

its not good, its amazing
i love the checkpoints, i hate games where once you die you have to start all teh way over (Devil may cry 3)

koei
04-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Some parts of the game tend to be a bit overly difficult but not unreasonable. With some effort you can get through it. This game will get your heart pumping more so than countless other titles out there.

ocmyface
04-11-2005, 05:40 AM
im about 70 percent through and its still not as good as devil may cry series (minus #2)

craig588
04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I havn't been able to get DMC3 at a price I want to pay or find it instock for rental. (I pay a maximum of 10$ for games)

Pivo504
04-28-2005, 03:29 PM
hmm guess Ill try DMC over this one then!

Malves
04-28-2005, 04:47 PM
craig,

If you like hard games, then you will like to play this game in God Mode. I finished the game in Hero Mode. I love this game. Kinda reminds me a little of the old CastleVania for PS1.
In God Mode, I didn't notice an increase in the enemies ability to fight, but instead you are very vulnerable. Take a hit and your life goes down the drain to almost half, depending on the enemy.
I like the graphics and the background music. I rented this game, but it sure is on my list of "to buy games".:)

ocmyface
04-28-2005, 06:06 PM
ok anyone else stuck o nthe final battle? its a three stage battle. i can beat aries but im stuck on the second part (im playing hard mode btw)

and if you really want to play a hard game, try devil may cry 3. took me and my friend weeks to beat it on the easiest setting

rick_fx
05-05-2005, 05:01 PM
God mode is extremely hard, more like impossible

perithimus
05-05-2005, 09:44 PM
The game looks really cool. I will pick it up when I get the cash.

trakslacker
05-16-2005, 10:28 PM
aye, just rented this today. One of the better video games i've played in some time. VERY entertaining and well done. This is going on the "things to buy" list for sure.

popeye
06-06-2005, 02:42 PM
hello

popeye
06-06-2005, 02:43 PM
sorry about that

craig588
06-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I would really recommend renting this one, it's alot of fun, but there isn't much to do once you beat it, and it can be beaten in a weekend.