PDA

View Full Version : First look: Windows XP x64 Edition FINAL

malware
04-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Here it is, Final and Gold. :D

I somehow managed to get a copy. First boot screens are the same, nothing new. Here we are, after the first boot screen you can read some new stuff from Microsoft, like: "based on the best windows ever Windows 2003" etc.

It's version: 3790 and it has Service Pack 1 insalled(whatever that means)
At the moment I am searching for correct drivers. Later I'll post some new stuff.

There's some first screens, and first problems. I couldn't run any 32bit self extract application.

If there's someone else to have the FINAL realise, please post first impressions here.

d3birth
04-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Is the final release different from the trial you can get at the microsoft website?

malware
04-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Is the final release different from the trial you can get at the microsoft website?

I don't know. The only version I've tried is this copy. It's on a bootable CD.

d3birth
04-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Right so is the trial. I'm guessing its pretty much the same because i got it only a couple weeks ago.

TodB
04-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Well I was told, that the hack for the Win2003 works here too.... so you can activate it and It won't be a trial... ;)

DevilsRejection
04-03-2005, 03:05 PM
No it's the version that is RTM available on MSDN. Someone posted it on usenet so it's out. I want to install it very very bad but there are no final 64 bit drivers for any of my hardware.

RAndomaN
04-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Thinks ill have to pick one up from work ! its great working for a massive computer company :D

Ice On Fire
04-04-2005, 02:07 AM
I'd like to have a go at x64 OS, but I can't download it anywhere now.

R.

mushk1n
04-04-2005, 02:12 AM
u can pick me 1 up as well rik ;) hehe....

OS-64bit
games 64bit??

surely both have to be true to get the real benefit... i know farcry was bringing out a 64bit version but not sure about any1 else..

alexio
04-04-2005, 02:34 AM
A link to a warez site isn't legal right?

PM me if you want a link to (what I think) is the final of Windows XP 64.

Special_K
04-04-2005, 02:12 PM
K DLed the evaluation copy from M$ and it says it is Build 3790 (service Pack 1, v.1433)

it's still buggy with occasional 1 second hangs/black screens/distorted icons =/

the nForce drivers and 71.84 Dets can be DLed from nVidia
the creative audigy2 drivers are time limited to May 1st for some reason =/

so are you sure this is the FINAL FINAL?

Special_K
04-07-2005, 08:35 AM
just a quick follow up to K's post above

it seems the hangups/blankscreens etc were due to undervolting the CPU =/

strange, but thats the only thing that K has changed (+5%) and the problems have not re-appeared =]

anywhoooo =D

Onepagebook
04-07-2005, 09:17 AM
looks good though. Thank you for sharing this info.:)

malware
04-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Here's the difference in SANDRA CPU test.
A64 3000+ NewCastle "AX" default 200x10, no drivers installed.

I have also tested 3D Mark2001SE, but the difference was ~300pts advantage for the x64 bit OS. 3d Mark2003 gave me exactly the same result as 32bit WinXP.

That's it for now, without any final driver for 64bit platform.

Sheik
04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
What does WinXP 64 Bit help when ATI still has "Beta" drivers :(

EDIT --- They heard me :D

ATI 64 BIT CATALYST 5.4 Drivers out.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

cupra
04-08-2005, 11:48 PM
nice :)
there is 2 programs files in c:

C:\program Files - in here its will install the 64-bit programs
C:\program Files x86 in here its will install the non 64-bit programs

so you have program that use C:\program Files its can be a problam, i try the 64 final few days ago but i dont have creative and hp driver so i will wait until they release that 64-driver and install it again.

btw - the 64-bit os jest run great and fast :)

edit :

jest find audigy 64-drviers, now i will wait to hp...

cupra
04-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Here's the difference in SANDRA CPU test.
A64 3000+ NewCastle "AX" default 200x10, no drivers installed.

I have also tested 3D Mark2001SE, but the difference was ~300pts advantage for the x64 bit OS. 3d Mark2003 gave me exactly the same result as 32bit WinXP.

That's it for now, without any final driver for 64bit platform.

that use nice, did you try super pi ?

Fosco
04-09-2005, 12:11 AM
I`m also playing with 64xp..

And there is 2 thing i cant find.

1= a prog aka speedfan that works ( tested speedfan and smartguardian )

2= a image mounting prog that works ( tested deamon and alcohol )

Any help or suggestion ?

:)

Mr Dead
04-09-2005, 03:45 AM
There is a new beta version of speedfan that works with xp x64. I am using it right now, so far all seems well and stable. You need to register on the speedfan site to download the beta version.

Cant find any virtual drive software myself yet, however daemon tools did release a beta version for test but you can no longer get it off their site.

malware
04-09-2005, 04:13 AM
There is a new beta version of speedfan that works with xp x64. I am using it right now, so far all seems well and stable. You need to register on the speedfan site to download the beta version.

Cant find any virtual drive software myself yet, however daemon tools did release a beta version for test but you can no longer get it off their site.

That means 32bit daemon tools 3.47 doesn't work right?

Mr Dead
04-09-2005, 04:25 AM
Nope, the 32bit versions of alcohol and deamon tools dont work due to the 32bit drivers involved. Dont think it will be too long before the 64bit version of deamon tools will be released though.

hope its sooner rather than later....

cupra
04-09-2005, 05:05 AM
Nope, the 32bit versions of alcohol and deamon tools dont work due to the 32bit drivers involved. Dont think it will be too long before the 64bit version of deamon tools will be released though.

hope its sooner rather than later....

it make sense, deamon and akcohol make a virtual cd that need a driver, and the driver for the 64-bit os is different

Sheik
04-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Apparently the next version of Daemon Tools will support 64 Bit WINXP.

Ferry82
04-11-2005, 03:27 AM
cool gonna try this windows. thanks malware

Sheik
04-11-2005, 10:42 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but it should enable you to use a virtual drive to mount images.

http://www.winimage.com/misc/filedisk64.htm

PS - I read the 64 Bit version of Daemon Tools is being Beta tested at the moment. :banana:

noremacyug
04-11-2005, 12:19 PM
anyone found any raid drivers for dfi ultra-d for win64? i have all the other drivers i need, just need those and havent seen them anywhere.

kryptobs2000
04-11-2005, 05:13 PM
If 32bit setup applications don't work, how can you install sisoft, 3dmark etc...?

edit: any performance problems or any real reason to not use this over 32bit xp? And jw, do things load faster? How long are the boot times compared to 32bit?

malware
04-12-2005, 09:46 AM
If 32bit setup applications don't work, how can you install sisoft, 3dmark etc...?

edit: any performance problems or any real reason to not use this over 32bit xp? And jw, do things load faster? How long are the boot times compared to 32bit?

About the boot times, first Windows screen shows only for a second(the blue line crosses only once), then there's something strange: monitor turns off for a second, then turns on, and continue loading.
SiSoft has it's own 64bit version of SANDRA, which can support 32bit Windows also...
There's absolutely no problem running 3D Mark or most of 32bit software. This OS supports 32bit apps, and runs them as fast as the old Win.

noremacyug
04-13-2005, 05:58 PM
ok, i found that the nforce 6.53's have the raid drivers in it so i created a driver disk for my raid array. they load up fine and the array shows up correctly when i get to the part where i choose the partition i want to install on. however, once it formats the drive and begins putting files on i have a couple of files from the floppy disk that it has problems copying, so i just ignored them and went on. then once all that is finished and it restarts the computer to finish the install with the more asthetically pleasing part it never goes to that. it just restarts and then after post it goes blank and no further. i thought that perhaps the trouble copying the files off raid floppy was the problem and then tried installing the o.s. onto a single raptor and still nothing. whats the deal? anyone else experienced this and if so, what am i not doing? id appreciate the help because id really like to give this o.s. a go.

MrQ3W
04-14-2005, 07:49 AM
MSN Messenger 7.0 crashes with x64 for me, pretty crappy support from the company who wrote the goddamn thing.
Otherwise everything is working fine, the main problems are with applications that are specifically coded for the old 32-bit DLL files (which now obviously are changed) and so they will crash/just not function at all.

Kudos to all the great developers who take their time to recompile(oh such a great difficulty, no) 64-bit versions of their applications like the people behind Virtual Dub, Filedisk and Sisoft(sorry but the list isn't very much longer than so unfortunately).
And thanks to ATI for finally getting the thumb out of their collective butthole and releasing an official driver, Nvidia please give us a driver that isn't actually 4 months old, thanks. :)

kryptobs2000
04-14-2005, 12:04 PM
so will this this not work with sata drivers at all then since it won't recognize the sata controller drivers?

MethylONE
04-16-2005, 09:10 PM
SATA works for me with no floppy.

However, and I started another thread about this with no luck, the ATi drivers hose the install every time.

It ALL works, until Cat5.4s then auto-reboot and black sod.

Nobody is trying out x64??? Seems strange....

Help me out guys, thx!

Sheik
04-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Good news. There are now a Beta versions of Clone CD and Clone DVD that support WinXP 64 Bit.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=134011

SPQQKY
04-17-2005, 02:42 AM

I've had no problems using Sandra2005, 3DMark03, 05, etc.. With WoW64, you can run pretty much any 32bit app with this OS. The only reason I am not using this as my main OS is because there are no drivers for Audigy2 anywhere and all links that I have found for the integrated ALC850 audio are coming up dead.

ffletchs
04-17-2005, 03:43 AM
Im using these for my audigy 2 platinium and they work great

http://preview.creativelabs.com./default.aspx

fFletchs

Special_K
04-17-2005, 03:54 AM
yup - those creative drivers work ok

but

you don't get anything like the sound recorder AND they are date limited to May 1st =/

hmmmm - and now they seem to have taken them offline =/

kryptobs2000
04-17-2005, 03:57 AM
Well I'll be giving this a try then when I get my neo2 back from msi. Has anyone run any bencharks before and after? windows xp vs windows xp 64?

ffletchs
04-17-2005, 04:00 AM
yup - those creative drivers work ok
but
you don't get anything like the sound recorder AND they are date limited to May 1st =/
hmmmm - and now they seem to have taken them offline =/

Hopefully they'll have new beta drivers or the final drivers by may 1st... Cant go back to 32bit now :rolleyes:

fFletchs

Special_K
04-17-2005, 04:32 AM
Well I'll be giving this a try then when I get my neo2 back from msi. Has anyone run any bencharks before and after? windows xp vs windows xp 64?

K R NOOB OC'er and isn't having much luck OC'ing in other OS'es

but

K R having problems overclocking (stable) this Neo2 on winXPx64 primarily because the MSI CoreCenter wont work in x64 so the Vcore can't be put high enough to run Prime95 for more than 1 minute =/

Clockgen reports a max Vcore of 1.55V but doesn't seem to alter the Vcore if you try to set it to that when using x64 =/

2.4Giggleys (240FSBx10multi/4HT/5:6Divider) @ 1.45V (1.5V +3.3% in BIOS) is what it's at now and that runs Prime95 overnight no problems

2.45Giggleys and it fails Prime95 within minutes =/

It did run 3DMark2005 @ 2.5Giggleys and will also run UT2004/Counter-Strike:Source at that speed but no Prime95 as before.

Just as a side-note - Task manager reports 27 processes running right now, of which 7 are apps that are open, and this is with an absolutely default WinXPx64 install - that should help with benches, right?

kryptobs2000
04-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Brett (me) does not overclock through windows, so Brett thinks this aught not be a problem for him. Brett overclocks through bios, and he can put the vcore higher than 1.55v. He suggests to K that in the bios there should be an option to increase in % of K's current vcore. :p:

note: talking in the 3rd person is annoying :stick:

kryptobs2000
04-17-2005, 04:49 AM
Just as a side-note - Task manager reports 27 processes running right now, of which 7 are apps that are open, and this is with an absolutely default WinXPx64 install - that should help with benches, right?

What d'you mean help with benches? I'm sure alot of those can be disabled. Just check what they are and.. do away with em :toast:

SPQQKY
04-17-2005, 07:05 AM
That link is dead, I have been there before, trust me. I wish I could find those damn drivers. You can install the drivers and then just use your CD to install the other software.

Of course, if someone had a big heart and wanted to burn the drivers to disk for me, I'd be a happy camper. :toast:

SPQQKY
04-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Brett (me) does not overclock through windows, so Brett thinks this aught not be a problem for him. Brett overclocks through bios, and he can put the vcore higher than 1.55v. He suggests to K that in the bios there should be an option to increase in % of K's current vcore. :p:

note: talking in the 3rd person is annoying :stick:

LOL, yeah, I was about to send a cyber bullet K's way. :slapass:

Special_K
04-17-2005, 11:49 AM
LKAO =D

yup - tried it through the BIOS also and it still reports only 1.5V max

the Neo2 Tips'n'Tricks (http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43033) thread says to use CoreCenter to get higher Vcore's but it still wont report any higher than 1.5V =/

kryptobs2000
04-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Ok, well...

1.) You are right, you can get a higher vcore using core center.
2.) You say your max is 1.5v. Perhaps in the bios it only goes up to 1.5v but there is a vid% right below that which will go up to something around 13% if I remember correctly, and being as I only used the board for an hour, I could well be wrong, but regardless it is there.
3.) clockgen dosn't work with any board at changing the voltage I have ever used it on. That is an imaginary feature they threw in there to make it seem like there's more to do than there is. Well there isn't, don't use clockgen to change the voltage, it's just a placebo effect.
4.) Stop talking in the 3rd person, we don't need any of those people on this forum.

Special_K
04-17-2005, 01:45 PM
the bios goes upto 1.7V and +10%VID if K remember correctly, but it never actually goes more than 1.5V when you measure it =/

mebe a bios flash is in order

anywhoo - the thread is about WinXPx64

K has the creative drivers here somewhere. If you use IRC K will DCC them to you if you want

SPQQKY
04-17-2005, 02:00 PM
SPQQKY doesn't know what IRC is......maybe K means ICQ? If K means ICQ, SPQQKY will gladly allow a file transfer.........OMG, stop the madness!!!

EDIT: SPQQKY did a search and is DLing IRC. K could PM me or e-mail me with details.

kryptobs2000
04-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Brett suggests SPQQKY go to www.mirc.com, it is the most popular irc client. Pretty easy to use. IRC isn't extremely simple, but not hard to figure out. However, as K mentioned it measured 1.5v still. What are you using to measure it. I... *ahem*.... Brett wouldn't trust corecenter because it's a crappy windows overclocking utility and it's not called clockgen so it must suck. Use cpuz and see if the voltage reports correctly. If so, no worries. Always trust the bios.

reject
04-17-2005, 08:05 PM
About the boot times, first Windows screen shows only for a second(the blue line crosses only once), then there's something strange: monitor turns off for a second, then turns on, and continue loading.

my xp pro sp1 does that. its heavily tweaked tho, maybe xp-64 is pre tweaked for our enjoyment?

MethylONE
04-17-2005, 08:14 PM
For me x64 was faster at stupid stuff, like opening windows, start menu, browsing the local network stuff like that. BUT!!! And no one has yet to talk about this, when I install the ATi Cat 5.4s I get a hard crash to black screen with no recovery possible.

Somebody here must be running ATi with x64.

Special_K
04-18-2005, 05:48 AM
everything measures 1.45V to 1.5V =/

CPUZ, CoreCenter, OCCT(MBM5)

find K on IRC here (irc://irc.quakenet.org/ut2004.jolt)

Special_K
04-18-2005, 10:04 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but it should enable you to use a virtual drive to mount images.

http://www.winimage.com/misc/filedisk64.htm

K just tried this and it werx (to a certain point) but not exactly like daemon tools does

still, if you have an .img you need extracting it will do the job =]

http://www.winimage.com/download.htm <== direct link to winimage7.0

ffletchs
04-18-2005, 10:37 AM
For me x64 was faster at stupid stuff, like opening windows, start menu, browsing the local network stuff like that. BUT!!! And no one has yet to talk about this, when I install the ATi Cat 5.4s I get a hard crash to black screen with no recovery possible.

5.4 workin fine here, I have a x850 xt pe in the amd machine

fFletchs

Bloody_Sorcerer
04-18-2005, 04:12 PM
for the problem of the 32-bit self-extractors not working:
right-click --> properties --> compatibility mode --> run this program in compatibility mode for <something>. try running it in compatibility mode for some other OS, like win2k or something.

Special_K
04-18-2005, 04:23 PM
it's not really a case of the self-extractor not working in x64 - but if it's trying to install a driver or registry update that is 'not applicable for the operating system' you are stuck =/

kryptobs2000
04-19-2005, 05:56 PM

Not saying ur wrong. But how can it be faster at opening windows and the start menu? I mean, it normally opens instantly anways dosn't it :p: You mean it's faster at multi tasking? Like if ur doing abunch of stuff and say open ie (altho... should be firefox :fact: ) it'll open instantly where as sometimes it'd take a few seconds?

MethylONE
04-20-2005, 07:14 AM
Not saying ur wrong. But how can it be faster at opening windows and the start menu? I mean, it normally opens instantly anways dosn't it :p: You mean it's faster at multi tasking? Like if ur doing abunch of stuff and say open ie (altho... should be firefox :fact: ) it'll open instantly where as sometimes it'd take a few seconds?

I think it may be that very heavy network usage doesn't seem to effect the performance of the rest of the OS in x64 has in x32. I'm always beating up the network and it does slow up some functions in XP.

setyotomo
04-20-2005, 08:46 AM
there's no DX 9.0c 64bit :( , where can i download it ?

MethylONE
04-20-2005, 08:51 AM
there's no DX 9.0c 64bit :( , where can i download it ?

Are you using an X800XL with x64? I cannot get the ATi drivers to work, the Cat5.4s.

Sheik
04-20-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't know why others are having such problems. I'm not.

My Catalyst 5.4's are working great. I even got highest ever stock speed 3DMark03 score with them. 3DMark2001 I get 30567 with FX55 / X850XT stock.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3914302

As for images.

AnyDVD, CloneDVD2, CloneCD5 and Virtual Clone Drive now all support WinXP 64 Bit.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/

And there's even .NET Framework 2.0 Beta 2 Redistributable and SDK 64 bit
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/downloads/netframework/

Special_K
04-20-2005, 10:11 AM
AnyDVD, CloneDVD2, CloneCD5 and Virtual Clone Drive now all support WinXP 64 Bit.

just DLed VirtualCloneDrive 5.1.0.1 and get this:-

VirtualCloneDrive does not run on your Operating system!

Sheik
04-20-2005, 10:19 AM
EDIT - Ok I see the Virtual Drive is NOT compatible with WinXP64 after all :(

SPQQKY
04-20-2005, 05:24 PM
For anyone needing x64 drivers for SB Audigy2......got a working link.

http://preview.creativelabs.com/drivers-amd64-010405.zip

Rubescen
04-20-2005, 06:40 PM
I've got ALL the drivers except the @#$^# Sil3114 SATA Raid drivers....I don't really want to split up the raptors to run the OS on single hdd, this sucks!

I've also noticed something funny about this RTM final version, it won't start the installation unless I have the ACPI and APCI enable.....weird shiat!

noremacyug
04-20-2005, 07:08 PM
ok, i found that the nforce 6.53's have the raid drivers in it so i created a driver disk for my raid array. they load up fine and the array shows up correctly when i get to the part where i choose the partition i want to install on. however, once it formats the drive and begins putting files on i have a couple of files from the floppy disk that it has problems copying, so i just ignored them and went on. then once all that is finished and it restarts the computer to finish the install with the more asthetically pleasing part it never goes to that. it just restarts and then after post it goes blank and no further. i thought that perhaps the trouble copying the files off raid floppy was the problem and then tried installing the o.s. onto a single raptor and still nothing. whats the deal? anyone else experienced this and if so, what am i not doing? id appreciate the help because id really like to give this o.s. a go.
anyone have any ideas as to this problem im having?

MethylONE
04-22-2005, 04:56 AM
I've got ALL the drivers except the @#$^# Sil3114 SATA Raid drivers....I don't really want to split up the raptors to run the OS on single hdd, this sucks!

I've also noticed something funny about this RTM final version, it won't start the installation unless I have the ACPI and APCI enable.....weird shiat!

The OS uses ACPI to virtually assign IRQs. MS has hinted that eventually you wouldn't be able to run XP without the virtual IRQs. It's funny because the idea was great at the time but then mobo BIOSes caught up with the OS so now it would prolly be better to let the BIOS do it.

setyotomo
04-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Are you using an X800XL with x64? I cannot get the ATi drivers to work, the Cat5.4s.

yay.. just install the driver and all ive got is a blank screen, keep restarting after checking logo..

:lol: :slapass: bad Ati Drivers...

pancake
04-25-2005, 02:38 AM
anyone know of any 64 bit drivers that support the ti4600? tried the latest ones off nvidia site and they dont list it as supported , when trying to install it says cant find any drivers for your hardware , or hardware supported by theese drivers ... i forget which. creative who made it dont have any on there site

airwolves
04-25-2005, 02:45 AM
So would it be worth going to the x64 edition if using xp pro..

PCcrazy
04-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Looking at so much troubles many of the forumers were having, i dont think its even worth a shot if u got so much work to do on ur rig...
Maybe if u have second rig, why not give it a shot. The OS have yet matured in driver sense, i do have a feeling the OS itself is fine with some minor glitches here and there.
But, probably the biggest dowside is compatibility with some hardwares...

Sheik
04-25-2005, 09:48 AM
I have been using WinXP64 for the last 7 days or so and I can say there are still way too many apps that are not 64 Bit compatible to make it a viable option just yet.

Drivers are not a problem for me. Everything is working as it should, NVIDIA nForce4 and ATI Catalysts.

I tried installing as many of my regular apps as possible that I use.

These apps worked without any major issues.

Office2003, BitTornado, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, eMule, ffdshow, AC3 Filter, GetRight, Mozilla, Irfan View, nLite, D2OL, Skype, Speedfan, Zoom Player, Nero Burning ROM, Sandra 2005 Pro, Everest, CPUZ, HDTach ect to name a few.

However some of the more important ones gave errors.

WinDVD Creator (cannot find aspi manager), BeSweet to convert AC3 to WAVE (no go), Alcohol 120% (no go) Aquamark 3 (no go) Benchemall (no go)

Also the one Virtual Drive that I want to use Daemon Tools, is not compatible yet. The filedisk option is very limited and not something I want to use.

There is a 64 Bit Beta XviD codec, but it won’t work with apps like Auto Gordian Knot yet. A 64 Bit Lame Codec would be nice as well.

When those are out it will be more practical as a daily OS.

Oh yes and Explorer keeps crashing when I click on an AVI as with pre SP2 WinXP32. :slapass:

madgamer
04-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I have a question. How will we be able to get the OS now that it comes out in a week or something? It said that it will be OEM only from everything that I have read, so will it be available at places like newegg/zipzoomfly? Will I have to buy a piece of hardware with it to order it?

airwolves
04-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replys.. Looks like i'll wait a bit more or just another hd and put it on it..

Sheik
04-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I have a question. How will we be able to get the OS now that it comes out in a week or something? It said that it will be OEM only from everything that I have read, so will it be available at places like newegg/zipzoomfly? Will I have to buy a piece of hardware with it to order it?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22781

S HAS BEEN PROMISING an upgrade path to Win64 for a while.

It is finally here, or more to the point, here. For those who don't want to read it all, there are a lot of asterisks for this almost-free upgrade.

You need to have Pro based version, not a Home one, and it had to have come pre-installed on your computer. You lose the original license, and have to format your drive, but they still call it in EULA terms an 'upgrade'. There appears to be no real upgrade.

The page also makes it appear to be a very driver-light release, but I don't have a copy so I can't say for sure. It also does a very un-MS like thing and absolves the OEM of support responsibilities while giving you a single free support call.

All of this costs $12 shipping and handling, $22 if you are out of the US. You can also check out a few more pages here and here.µ

demonR6
04-26-2005, 03:40 AM
Well, so far after reading this my impression is that x64 is a steaming pile of..

TekXoID
04-26-2005, 03:54 AM
Well, so far after reading this my impression is that x64 is a steaming pile of..
..lovely flowers and sugerberries.

:ROTF:

M.Beier
04-27-2005, 01:23 AM
in 1M superpi I lost a second as a due of a bit less clock on the cpu (50mhz less) however - even with 50 mhz less on the core I get 16 secs better @ 32M... From 1636 to 1620 sec :D

Thats only a littlebit.. But hey man... Its a start...
In 01SE I've had a major faliur... My drago low is 20 fps LOWER than with Xp Pro (32bit)... - And that sucks :\

MethylONE
04-27-2005, 06:30 AM
I don't know why others are having such problems. I'm not.

My Catalyst 5.4's are working great. I even got highest ever stock speed 3DMark03 score with them. 3DMark2001 I get 30567 with FX55 / X850XT stock.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3914302

As for images.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

And there's even .NET Framework 2.0 Beta 2 Redistributable and SDK 64 bit
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/downloads/netframework/

Curious, did you install the whole .NET version or just the drivers?

Sheik
04-27-2005, 06:54 AM
XP64 already has .NET 1 installed. .NET 2.0 not neccesary + ATI 64 bit drivers only have driver + control panel no control centre. But, I did get the 32 Bit Control Centre installed with 64 Bit drivers. Not very stable though.

madpete
04-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Guys, does anyone have problems with Win64 being sensitive to high clock speed / memory speed?

I finally got it to install today after about 2 hrs of trying, everytime I installed the Nvidia Raid drivers during setup (F6) it would blue screen. In the end I had to go back to default clocks, and very slack T2 timmings. It then installed no problems, and I used it for an hour or so with no fault.

If I put it back to overclocked speeds, it reboots itself on startup. I'm almost positive its the NV drivers that are doing it.

I should also mention that in WinXP-32 the machine is rock solid at overclocked speed, passes prime, superpi, and memtested over night.

This sounding familiar to anyone?

Oh and the ATI drivers worked ok for me on my X850XT PE, no probs with them.

Pete.

madpete
04-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Narrowed it down to exactly what the problem is, basically it doesn't like T1 at ANY mem speed / timmings...even default and less than. Switch to T2 and its happy again, 307mhz no probs.

This is wierd because WinXP-32 has no problems with T1@307mhz, nor does memtest, superpi and prime95.

I don't know if its a bios issue, a Win64 problem or doggy NV drivers now :confused:

Bugger

Sheik
04-28-2005, 06:41 AM
Here we go.

Apps that work on WinXP64.
http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/win64compatibility/win64softlist.htm

Special_K
04-28-2005, 07:05 AM
did anybody get a warning today about the Creative Soundblaster Drivers expiring soon?

looking at their site, they are predicting 24bit Audigy drivers for x64 in Q3 of '05!!!!?!?!? :rolleyes:

madpete
04-29-2005, 01:43 AM
did anybody get a warning today about the Creative Soundblaster Drivers expiring soon?

looking at their site, they are predicting 24bit Audigy drivers for x64 in Q3 of '05!!!!?!?!? :rolleyes:

I got a msg like that during install with my Audigy2 ZS. Worring isn't it.

Guys, can you run Win64 with your memory at T1 ok? If so what mainboard and Ram do you have?

Thanks, Pete.

elec999
04-29-2005, 02:11 AM
I excepted windows xp 64 to support 32bit applications, just fine. With some sort of emulation.
Thanks

Special_K
04-29-2005, 03:43 AM
Guys, can you run Win64 with your memory at T1 ok? If so what mainboard and Ram do you have?

yes, Neo2Platinum mobo and crappy Kingston Value RAM - not really pushing the OC barrier much, but, 'overnight Prime95' and OCCT stable =]

I excepted windows xp 64 to support 32bit applications, just fine. With some sort of emulation.
Thanks

it does support most 32bit applications in 'WoW32' or whatever they coined it

The Mofo
04-29-2005, 08:56 AM

I won a free copy of XP back when it was first released on their website by taking a test. Ive used a corp version ever since XP's been out. I went to MS's website, under the 64bit section and traded in the copy that was given to me. I did have to install it on my new machine, however, for $12, i got XP64 bit shipped to me. Supposed to be here on mon or tue.

TekXoID
04-29-2005, 09:12 AM
I won a free copy of XP back when it was first released on their website by taking a test. Ive used a corp version ever since XP's been out. I went to MS's website, under the 64bit section and traded in the copy that was given to me. I did have to install it on my new machine, however, for $12, i got XP64 bit shipped to me. Supposed to be here on mon or tue.
Yeah I got my copy that way too, just traded in my old liscense pretty much.

http://img38.echo.cx/img38/479/winx64tekxthumb1ww.jpg (http://img38.echo.cx/img38/5738/winx64tekx8rz.jpg)

Special_K
04-29-2005, 09:18 AM
nice skin - where you get that from?

TekXoID
04-29-2005, 11:53 AM
nice skin - where you get that from?NeoOS (http://www.wincustomize.com/ViewSkin.aspx?SID=1&SkinID=4357&LibID=1) theme on WindowBlinds Enhanced 4.51 (Only visual style program compatible with x64.) :banana:

mion
04-29-2005, 12:47 PM
nice skin

Special_K
05-03-2005, 05:19 PM
well, it's official

CREATIVE SUCK!!!

BSOD on exactly 00:00hrs 05.04.05

thx so much creative =/

Special_K
05-04-2005, 02:28 AM
creative have some new 64bit drivers that time out on Aug 16th

K cant wait for that BSOD :rolleyes:

Mr_Slinky
05-05-2005, 07:55 PM
has anyone tried the xp x64 on a pair of xeon processors yet

ULJarad
05-09-2005, 01:56 PM
I love my Windows XP Pro x64 Edition! ATi drivers work fine, 32bit programs either work great or they don't load - I haven't had any "instability," as most people think 64bit causes for whatever reason. My only problem is I don't have an anti-virus. Norton 2005 won't let me install, even though I could find 64 patches on Google. Sounds, video, chipset, everything works fine.

Anyone know where I can get a 64bit compatitle AV?

Sheik
05-10-2005, 05:57 AM
AVAST Home Edition works.

Special_K
05-11-2005, 06:07 AM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_869_875^10543,00.html

64bit FarCry - enjoy =D

Sheik
05-11-2005, 07:25 AM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_869_875^10543,00.html

64bit FarCry - enjoy =D

I am enjoying :D

ULJarad
05-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Pics
http://img145.echo.cx/my.php?image=clipboard014vl.jpg
http://img145.echo.cx/my.php?image=clipboard026gk.jpg
http://img18.echo.cx/my.php?image=clipboard036eu.jpg
http://img18.echo.cx/my.php?image=clipboard043cb.jpg
http://img123.echo.cx/my.php?image=farcry20050510220252343gl.jpg

][nSaNe
05-13-2005, 04:14 PM
got x64 up and going... played farcry... its pretty nice... cept i get sh*ty performance in it... in xp i can play highest everything 6xT2 AA & 16xAF but with this 64 bit patch i cant... shadow ops red mercury plays amazing though... its also 64 bit enabled.. and has been out for 4 months or so...
its got some nice graphics... fog and lighting like none other...

ULJarad
05-13-2005, 04:39 PM
It plays worse for you?

][nSaNe
05-13-2005, 05:50 PM
yup. it sure does... im not sure i use the omegas in xp and i used the ATI drivers in 64.. in xp i tweak the settings for the drivers.. in x64 i did too a lil.
but not all the way. its prolly something strange.. i dont have network support so i havent downloaded and updates or anything. so i dunno whats up with that.. but i never really played farcry that much anyways.
im a css and bfv lover.

Jupiler
05-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Looks like Creative has released some new x64 drivers for their Audigy 2 ZS series.
Most files are dated 04/19/2005, so pretty new.
In case someone is interessted :

http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/downloads/welcome.asp

Special_K
05-16-2005, 03:29 AM
hmmm - that link couldn't find any drivers for K =/

this (http://preview.creativelabs.com/default.aspx) is where K downloaded the latest Aug16th drivers from

Jupiler
05-16-2005, 09:15 AM
hmmm - that link couldn't find any drivers for K =/

this (http://preview.creativelabs.com/default.aspx) is where K downloaded the latest Aug16th drivers from

I presume you have the Audigy 2 ZS?
If so, select Soundblaster \ Audigy 2 \ Audigy ZS, then click next.
After that, choose the OS (x64), and you'll see the new drivers and Audio Console for the ZS series.

Special_K
05-17-2005, 01:43 AM
ahhh - that's why - no ZS here =[

wonder if they will work though?

hmmmmm /K ponders

ewitte
05-24-2005, 05:42 AM
LOL. I had no problems with the beta versions. Here are my results on two setups

s754 Clawhammer 6800GT -- Eventually got into Safe Mode and Installed the chipset drivers. Seemed to load fine but eventually gave me blue screens at startup.

s939 San Diego X800XL --

Overclocked (prime stable) - reboots itself when it tries to load
Stock CPU Normal Mode - Hung
Stock CPU Safe Mode - Booted fine. Installed chipset drivers.
Stock CPU Normal Mode - I think it booted fine here until I installed the x64 Catalyst drivers

Stock CPU Normal OR Safe mode - Locks up

All lockups are at acpi???.dll

I've redownloaded the image. I hope that helps. Also I got the MSDN VL version but they don't provide a key for that :(

Eric

madpete
05-24-2005, 10:40 AM
ewitte, can I ask you do you have TCCD? And what is your dram voltage?
If you are above 2.8v try lowering it to 2.7v or 2.75v, this was the only thing that could get me remotely stable in Win64.

ewitte
05-24-2005, 11:03 AM
ewitte, can I ask you do you have TCCD? And what is your dram voltage?
If you are above 2.8v try lowering it to 2.7v or 2.75v, this was the only thing that could get me remotely stable in Win64.

I'll try that. I'm running 2.8v. Even normal XP does not load at 2.9v so that could be it. Whats up with TCCD? Its very strange because memtest will run forever on it.

Eric

madpete
05-24-2005, 12:25 PM
I honestly have no idea why, but i swear on my system thats what it is (it took me weeks to figure that out :D ). Wierd thing is that I can run memtest, prime, superpi, winxp (32bit) at high volts with no probs. But anything over 2.75v and Win64 goes tits up, your guess is as good as mine. :confused:

ewitte
05-24-2005, 01:52 PM
I honestly have no idea why, but i swear on my system thats what it is (it took me weeks to figure that out :D ). Wierd thing is that I can run memtest, prime, superpi, winxp (32bit) at high volts with no probs. But anything over 2.75v and Win64 goes tits up, your guess is as good as mine. :confused:

Actually I'm set to 2.7v already.

mikem
05-30-2005, 05:29 AM
Insane....
Are you running only 512 megs of ram?
FarCry seems more jerky to me too....however I noticed the hdd seems to be working its butt off, as I only have 512.

ewitte
05-30-2005, 06:55 AM
It seems I have x64 working now but not the X800 drivers :( Bluescreen everytime I install them. I tried two versions so far.

Cornelious0_0
06-06-2005, 09:59 PM
I'll be back to chime in with my 2 cents in the next day or two....downloading Server 2003 X64 Enterprise Edition atm...and I have all my drivers waiting.

I'm hopin' for the best.....and I actually can't wait to get using windowblinds with the above skin...cus I'm using a black/grey theme right now, and that's the nicest I've ever seen. :cool:

[_Silence_]
06-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Installed Windows XP x64 today. Runs my system @ default but when I try my stable speeds in Windows XP on this x64 version it always gives me a blue screen, saying MACHINE_CHECK_EXEPTION. Anyone knows why?

Cornelious0_0
06-08-2005, 03:47 PM
']Installed Windows XP x64 today. Runs my system @ default but when I try my stable speeds in Windows XP on this x64 version it always gives me a blue screen, saying MACHINE_CHECK_EXEPTION. Anyone knows why?

I also noticed that.....I only saw it when I knew I was pushing it to far, but the point is that in WinXP it at least gets me into windows.

Other then that, which I've seen people bringing up, Server 2003 X64 Enterprise is running fine for me in my bench partition...but I can't switch my main partition over yet 'cus the Server OS doesn't have the same legacy hardware driver support that XP does, and my Cirus Logic 2MB PCI card gets stuck at 800x600 4bit color, whereas I can do 1024x768 16bit in XP. :p:

As soon as I can get my hands on a PCI Radeon 7000 or GeForce MX4000 that I can install drivers for I'm switching my main partition to server 2003 X64, overall i like the OS, much more responsive....and I'm simply bored of XP and the same old loading screen. ;)

uscfan
06-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Stupid microsoft. I hope that the drivers start coming soon. Linux has been ahead of the game for quite some time, they had 64-bit support last year and I'm pretty sure they had it before that just not as mainstream.

Are there really performance increases with the 64-bit os? Anandtech tested Farcry 64 edition and the numbers didnt seem to great.

fatfreepork
06-08-2005, 05:35 PM
how is microsoft stupid because they released a 64-bit os? linux has no driver support because most people use windows. and as a user of windows xp, you can't really complain.

Cornelious0_0
06-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Are there really performance increases with the 64-bit os? Anandtech tested Farcry 64 edition and the numbers didnt seem to great.

It still stands that games/apps need to be written to take (true) advantage of the 64bit OS...there are some smaller/insignificant gains here and there in some games and benchies...but nothing huge...because not much is actually written FOR the operating system. I think the only reason I saw small SuperPi 1M advantages after the switch was 'cus I went from a tweaked out WinXP Pro install, to a tweaked out Server 2003 X64 install....and Server 2003 itself is most likely what's behind the time differences.