PDA

View Full Version : Is It Worth Going SLI On An Intel. I Don't Think So.

Nasgul
04-02-2005, 10:25 PM
SLI as a whole looked great when we all saw the scores and the capabilities of it but nobody talked about "PRICE" nor issue that only few games were going to take advantage of this tech. Also some benchmarks have shown that 2x GeForce 6600 GTs (running SLI) are not faster than a single 6800 GT. $800+ for video cards alone is just ridiculous, which is the same I feel about paying more than $300 for a processor.

MSI P4N Diamond Motherboard Features the World's First Digital Switch for SLI - First Intel SLI Solution (http://www.msi-denmark.com/press/press_center/P4N_diamond/)

:moon::moon::moon:

craig588
04-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Buying 2 6600s is foolish, you could have a 6800. 2 6800s on the other hand are fantastic. Nothing can touch them even if you need to deal with hassles.

Only a few game support SLI? Where did you get that information? I have the SLI tool and it claims to work with anything.

Price? This isn't "cost effective systems"

death metal
04-03-2005, 02:33 AM
These kind of solution (high end motherboard, video card, processor) are targetted for the few people who likes to fiddle around and get the absolute high score in benchmarks.

No one is forcing you to buy two video cards.
No one is forcing you to buy a $300 processor.
And I don't think MSI is trying to force you to buy their latest motherboard.

Are you saying it's a waste to build a cascade because it's so expensive? People buy stuff for different reason...

Buy what you need...

freecableguy
04-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Since when is "top of the line" EVER "worth it." Have we not figured this out yet? The most cost effective solution is NEVER the highest performing. In fact, it is not uncommon to pay an extra 50% the cost of the next step-down-model for that last 5% performance increase. This is Xtreme Systems...not Value Systems.

s0ck
04-04-2005, 01:54 AM
This is Xtreme Systems...not Value Systems.

lol :D