PDA

View Full Version : temp?

KoolDrew
04-01-2005, 11:44 AM
i got the AMD Althon XP 3200+ w/ Asus A8V-E Deluxe mobo

it normally runs around 42 C and i overclocked it jumperfree at 8% which rose the speed up to 2160Ghz and temp to 48C ... what is it safe to overclock to on my PIB w/ AMD approved fan (stock)?

Orthogonal
04-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I thought the XP 3200+ was 2.2Ghz stock.... are you underclocked?

Anyway, keep ocing it until it gets unstable or the temperature gets much above 55C under load. That's usually the limit I set.

thebluesgnr
04-01-2005, 12:05 PM
The A8V-E is a socket 939 mobo so I assume he has an Athlon 64.

8% overclock is 2,16GHz.

cirthix
04-01-2005, 08:34 PM
i think he means a64. the best option is to take that 80mm fan off and adapt a 120mm fan to that heatsink. my favorite and free way of doing this is to take the top (usually clear) part of a cd spool, hotglue (or tape) a 120mm fan to the large, open end part of it. then cut out a circle about the size of an 80mm fan, punch a few holes where the fan holes go, then mount the whole contraption to the stock heatsink. do this only if you want a cooler/quieter system

about the temps, as long as it is stable at full load for hours, it should be fine. chips get unstable before they get damaged. run prime95 overnight and a run of superpi 32 million digits.

SPQQKY
04-01-2005, 08:57 PM
i think he means a64. the best option is to take that 80mm fan off and adapt a 120mm fan to that heatsink. my favorite and free way of doing this is to take the top (usually clear) part of a cd spool, hotglue (or tape) a 120mm fan to the large, open end part of it. then cut out a circle about the size of an 80mm fan, punch a few holes where the fan holes go, then mount the whole contraption to the stock heatsink. do this only if you want a cooler/quieter system

about the temps, as long as it is stable at full load for hours, it should be fine. chips get unstable before they get damaged. run prime95 overnight and a run of superpi 32 million digits.

Actually, you won't get any cooler unless the fan moves more air, not to mention compression from moving down in size will hamper performance.
Honestly, you can't judge by temperature as all boards vary and who knows who is really accurate.
Judge your overclock stability by running some tests, Prime95, SuperPI 32m, Hot CPU, 3D apps, etc., etc..