PDA

View Full Version : BIP2/3, BIX2/3, or Heatercore for FX55 and 2 6800GT's in the loop and ? about V1000

SVTSnake
04-01-2005, 02:55 AM
Got a friend who is about to build the following, and I need some input as how to help him.

DFI NF4 SLi-DR
FX-55
(2) 6800GT's
Lian Li V1000
DD TDX
Aqua 50Z
(2) Maze4's
3/8" tubing

My question is rather or not a BIP2 or BIX2 is enough for the radiator? Or would we be better off going with the Weapon Heatercore (I sent him a PM yesterday for pricing but haven't heard back from him). For those with the V1000, where have you been mounting the heatercore at or for that matter, the radiator? It looks lke there is plenty of room on the top, but just want to make sure that I can still get a Audigy 2 ZS in the last PCI slot. I know he will lose 1 of the 5.25" drive bays. Will a triple fit up there, as a BIP3 or BIX3 may be a viable option to. He wants it somewhat quiet. Also, where would be best to mount the reservoir, or would a t-line be better off in this system with no radiator? It seems that there may be some excess tubing in the case due to having to mount the rad/heatercore on the top, aand the pump/res on the bottom. Will this effect the performance?

Also, if anyone speaks to Weapon today, please ask him to respond to my PM for pricing and availability....

BTW, what are the dimmensions of his shroud/heatercore/fan combination?

Thanks for any help. He is looking at ordering today...

MaxxxRacer
04-01-2005, 04:02 AM
i would go with the heatercore and shroud option. but thats me. here is a pic with a setup with the V21000. essentialy the same case but a bit taller.

tthe pump there is an iwaki and the blue is the res (best place to put it for max performance) and the heatercore at the top. to make it work the shroud and fans would need to be on the outside, or atleast the fans. This is becuase the setup is 5 inches tall. and now thinking about it with an sli and a soundcard i think all of it would need to be external if im not mistaken.

SVTSnake
04-01-2005, 05:48 AM
Well that sucks! :slap: He only has about 22" to play with in his desk area.

Has Weapon got a mount fixed up yet for a Stacker? I could get him the heatercore and mount it in the front drive bays standing tall. Would this be possible? Also, is the 50Z good for the heatercore. An Iwaki is out of the question...

Hey Max, also would the 6002 be a better choice for the CPU? I know he wants to stick with 3/8" tubing, but I could probably slip the tubing over the 1/2" stems (he is going to be using 1/2" fittings everywhere else as well).

Sorry for the questions, its the only way to learn though!

mad mikee
04-01-2005, 09:04 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=757350#post757350

I'm only cooling the CPU though.

Not really enough room at teh top (barely enough for a bip w/ 25mm fans on top (x 2 (use 1 blank fan as spacer))) Would put the fans on top of the case (figure 2" extra isn't 2 bad :D ) Pump is mcp350 + systemcooling mod for more flow, works OK.

I'm going to do a rad box underneath (and I believe in Xtreme overkill :hehe: , later), but you could still do what I did + separate loop for Vidcards, prolly have to test to see which rad/fans give best cooling combo for all. Switch tubing to 7/16 ID, seems to work well for me, only 3/8 is from pump to rad.

MaxxxRacer
04-01-2005, 03:50 PM
6002 would be better for the 50Z. no question about that. the 50Z cant get the system over 2gpm so there is no way for the TDX to win.

weapon is still working on the mount for the stacker. but with the stacker you can put hte rad on the floor if you want.

lanolar
04-01-2005, 03:58 PM
I have a V1200. I put a weapon heatercore with shroud and (2) 120mm fans inside at the top. It took a little cutting to fit it all in but its done and looks good. I will have pics up soon.

SVTSnake
04-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the replies! Ordered the V1200 today along with a BIP3 and 3 Panaflo M1A fans. Going to change the cpu block to the MCW6002.

MaxxxRacer
04-02-2005, 01:32 AM
nice.. sounds good SVT.. thats a good rad and very nice fans.

SVTSnake
04-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks Maxx! Everything should be here Monday or Tuesday. The only hold up is the Aqua 50Z as Cooltechnia is still on B/O until the 6th (are they the only place that stock these pumps?).

RaptorRaider
04-02-2005, 08:36 AM
www.dtekcustoms.com also sells them. I've rarely seen anyone order his 50Z from there though, most people get it from Cooltechnica.

MaxxxRacer
04-02-2005, 03:40 PM
oh i forgot about them. lol.. i thnk cooltechnica distrubutes them to dtek, as cooltechnica is the ONLY one with a contract to the company who makes the 50Z.

SVTSnake
04-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Got everything in today EXCEPT the pump (suppose to ship tomorrow!).

With the BIP3, is it better to push or pull the air through, or does it matter? I am asking because I either have to mount the radiator on top the case with the fans in the case, or mount the radiator inside with the fans on top.

Also, just out of curiosity, how would a BIX2 with 4 fans compare to a BIP3 with 3 fans? Would the extra fan and fin density of the BIX2 let it cool the system better, or is the greater surface area of the 3 greater with 3 fans?

Looking at the 1200, it looks like if I were to mount the weapon heatercore inside the case with the shroud, and the fans on top, that would fit as well. Would the heatercore still be the best option?

d3birth
04-05-2005, 11:20 AM
SVTSnake - I ordered a 50z from cooltechnica on march 24th and it still hasn't shipped. I know they were having some issues with their supplier. Just a warning to not be surprised if yours doesn't ship tomorrow. I know mine better...when I ordered it they said it was in stock...

LikwidKool
04-05-2005, 12:06 PM
50z is a real good pump. Not sure what happened but I went from a l30 to a 50z, and a 6x9 heatercore to a BIX1, along with a 6002, and my temps went down almost 5°c! Maybe I just got a good mount, but I mounted the old setup a few times and always had the same temps.

SVTSnake
04-05-2005, 01:38 PM
50z is a real good pump. Not sure what happened but I went from a l30 to a 50z, and a 6x9 heatercore to a BIX1, along with a 6002, and my temps went down almost 5°c! Maybe I just got a good mount, but I mounted the old setup a few times and always had the same temps.

Thats interesting... Another member here just changed out from a heatercore to a BIP3 with 3 Panaflo M1A's and is getting better temps as well. I really think the heatercores need high cfm fans to make it through the fin density...

I know with a BIX2, I could mount 2 fans on top the case and have enough room inside to mount the radiator and 2 more fans. With the BIP3, I can either mount the radiator inside or outside, and the fans either inside or outside. My only concern is the BIX2 not being able to keep up with the 6800's and FX-55. Don't really know if having 2 extra fans on the BIX2 would help it or not?

The 1st time I went to order the 50Z, they were in stock as well, well of course according to the website. Later I found out that they were actually out of stock so I canceled. When I ordered last week, the 1st date was the 31st, then it got changed to the 6th. Hopefully tomorrow they will get them and ship them out. I checked a few distributers in England, and either they didn't carry them, or were also out of stock....

MaxxxRacer
04-05-2005, 01:40 PM
putting 2 more fans on a bix2 wont help u much. push pull has been proven to not be that effective in getting gains over push or pull alone.

SVTSnake
04-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Thats what I was thinking to!

How about rather or not pushing or pulling with the BIP3? Have you seen temp differences with either way?

MaxxxRacer
04-05-2005, 01:44 PM
pulling is gernally a bit better with gains in noise reduction. the noise reduction is a more noticeable gain than the performance when comparing push and pull.

SVTSnake
04-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Hey we can all appreciate a little quieter system! I think I will put the radiator inside and the fans on top. Its a shame that there is no shroud made for the BIP/X3... Would make a nice finishing touch!

I'll get that mounted tomorrow... Still in the dreaded wait mode for the pump :(

SVTSnake
04-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Hey Maxx, since I will be using the more free flowing Maze4 GPU blocks, how would an RBX work with the 50Z? I was thinking of going out of the RBX to each video card with its own hose, then joining them back together before the radiator. I would clean up the tubing some, and looks like what DD with their Lanparty setup? Of course they were using the D4 pump which has a higher flow rate according to the graphs I have seen.

How do you think the temps would be in general with that setup?

Psyche911
04-07-2005, 06:10 AM
It is usually recommended to have the GPUs in series as opposed to parallel like that, the higher flow helps and the water temp doesn't increase much after the first one.

However, you're right, the tubing would be a LOT easier having them in parallel. I guess it's up to you, are you willing to sacrifice a couple degrees per GPU for an easier setup?

SVTSnake
04-07-2005, 02:41 PM
I read ya! I have just been curious as to why do they make a block with 1 inlet and 2 outlets if no one ever uses them? Wonder if using like a #4 or #5 nozzle would help it, and alllow each gpu to get the same flow?

SVTSnake
04-07-2005, 02:45 PM
SVTSnake - I ordered a 50z from cooltechnica on march 24th and it still hasn't shipped. I know they were having some issues with their supplier. Just a warning to not be surprised if yours doesn't ship tomorrow. I know mine better...when I ordered it they said it was in stock...

Did you get your pump from Cooltechnica yet, or at least an update on the order status page? I got a email last night saying they got them in and were shipping, but my status hasn't changed as of yet, and they are still showing all the pumps in stock?

On a side note, I will have to admit that they are not the fastest of the webstores for shipping (gotta love FrozenCPU for there shipment department).

idleuser
04-07-2005, 09:17 PM
personally I won't go with a weapon heatercore+shroud while it may yeild good prefomrance with high static pressure fans your best bet would be to go with a BIP3 or a BIX2 with moderate CFM and static pressure for good results. I would pick a BIP3 over a heatercore because of the space you would save. someone recently showed a picture and he hacked the case pretty back to get the heatercore to fit inside. As for the pump you would have to wait or find a use one.

SVTSnake
04-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Well, I thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead...

Have everything installed and running! Temps with the FX-55 @ 2.9 and the 2 6800GT's at 412/1200 are 38 degrees while low load, and a max of 54 degrees while Priming or after a run of any of the 3D benchmarks!

The V1200 is a SWEET case for watercooling! Plenty of room. The only problem I had was I wish I wouldn't of had to mount the BIP3 with the barbs above the drives. Added extra tubing which I'm sure doesn't help. Wasn't ready to give up my Audigy 2 ZS for onboard sound though. The radiator is mounted inside the top, with the 3 Panaflo M1A's on top outside. I took some 1.5" aluminum strips and made covers for the fans, painted them black, and screwed them to the fans with #4 screws. Really looks sharp.

The Aqua 50Z is a nice quiet pump. Even with the extra tubing, there is plenty of pressure coming into the reservoir. I did have to change the reservoir, as with the fan controller, 2 DVD drives and the floppy, I couldn't mount a 5.25" reservoir in there. Didn't want to use a T line do to the added restriction, so I used the FrozenCPU large 120mm reservoir, velcro'ed to the inside corner. Works really well.

The DD Maze4 blocks are really nice and so is the MCW-6002. I actually had to order the Xeon block since no one had the A64 block in stock. Luckily its interchangeable as long as you purchase the correct adapter (a $10 added cost however :( ).

It was a bugger getting the Primoflex 3/8" tubing over the 1/2" barbs, but a little muscle, the went on fine.

I did make a change in the power supply department last week. The PC Power & Cooling Tubro 510w SLi had to go. I couldn't take the added noise of the Delta fan in it. My case sits inside my desk, so it amplifies the noise even more. Threw in a OCZ PowerStream 600w and its back to quiet!

Right now, my OCZ VX4000 is burning is for the 3rd night, now at 255 2-2-2-5 3.3v :D Hopefully I can get them to 206-264'ish...

I will post some pics tomorrow. For now, its off to bed. I had to reinstall my kids computer tonight and then my niece brought me over her HP laptop with a wireless problem. Stupid this is a P4 2.4, but has a ALi chipset, and is as slow as a turtle smokin' a fatty! Took it about an hour to install Service Pack 2!

EDIT: no selling outside the classies
-saaya

MaxxxRacer
04-24-2005, 08:43 PM
SVT nice setup u got there... glad its all running well.

BUT you have to remove the link to the sale over at Anandtech.

SVTSnake
04-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Sorry for the illegal link! JUst trying to get rid of this extra cooling equipment :)

racinjimy
04-25-2005, 01:51 AM
pics please!!!!!

dsecrieru
04-25-2005, 02:48 AM
racinjimy, do you also have some pics somewhere? I'm very interested in lian li v2000 water setups.

SVTSnake
04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
I'll get pics up later today when I get back! It turned out pretty nice :D

dsecrieru
04-25-2005, 07:15 AM
C'mon already! :)

racinjimy
04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Pic!

zeebs
04-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Eager to see the pics, 1337 setup!

dsecrieru
04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Nice one, racinjimy! So many cables... :) I'm still not sure where I can fit a BIP3 in a V2100b.

SVTSnake, still waiting for those pics :D...

racinjimy
04-25-2005, 03:11 PM
with the way these cases are built you can't route cables behind the mobo to hide them, there isn't enough clearance for the side panel to fit on (without hacking the $hit out of the case)

it's a real bummer for wire management

i don't think you can fit a BIP3 in the bottom of the case you will have to go up top and sacrifice a couple of 5 1/4 slots

SVTSnake
04-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Without further interuptions for the evening, here is the case gallery...

SVTSnake's V1200 Watercooled Case (http://img109.imageshack.us/img_viewer.php?loc=img109&image=V1200049.jpg&gal=img109/7258/V1200049.jpg)

All tubing is 3/8" with 1/2" barbs.

SVTSnake
04-25-2005, 06:22 PM
with the way these cases are built you can't route cables behind the mobo to hide them, there isn't enough clearance for the side panel to fit on (without hacking the $hit out of the case)

it's a real bummer for wire management

i don't think you can fit a BIP3 in the bottom of the case you will have to go up top and sacrifice a couple of 5 1/4 slots

Yeah, you cannot route the wiring behind the motherboards with the V series chassis. However, if you take your time, you CAN get the wiring in there pretty decent (see my pictures above). It took a little time, a few zipties, but the wiring is pretty neat in there.

It would be really tight to get a BIP3 in the bottom. However, a 2 would fit the top without losing 2 drivebays and and the bottom pretty easy. With my BIP3 in the top, I did lose the top 2 drivebays for drives, but my fan controller worked out fine in the 2nd slot. Used my blank on top to show off my Windows XP sticker and FX-55 sticker ;)

I was going to use the Heatercore from Weapon at first, but was hearing good things about the BIP3's, and I also didn't want to hack the drivebay's. With my fans on the outside, and the radiator on the inside, I do not have any clearance issues with my Audigy 2 ZS in the last PCI slot. There is about 1/4-3/8" of space between the connectors on the back of the Audigy and the radiator.

All in all, other than I hope they come out with a window panel (they have 1 for the V1000 and V2000), I whole heartedly recommend the V1200 for watercooling! For a simple single rad setup, the V1000 would be nice as well.

Hope you enjoy the picture gallery! If you have any questions, just ask! BTW, I really think the frame I made for the fans on top turned out sharp. Gave them the "finished" look!

MaxxxRacer
04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
nice pictuers man.. looks very very clean... very nice.. get that pump and res in there!

dsecrieru
04-25-2005, 08:09 PM
I like it, very nice work! :)

SVTSnake
04-26-2005, 12:38 AM
nice pictuers man.. looks very very clean... very nice.. get that pump and res in there!

Maxx, click on the "V1200 Watercooled" text above the thumbnails on the left, and ou can see all 45+ pictures :D

dsecrieru
04-26-2005, 01:05 AM
How did you cut it?

dsecrieru
04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
racinjimy, I'm thinking, what if you would remove the hard drives racks completly from the bottom of the case and put them in some 5.25 cage. I reckon that might leave enough space on the bottom to install a BIP3, kinda like an empty basement :).

What do you think?

racinjimy
04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
dsecrieru: then there would be lots of room, I just didn't want to do that..........

SVT: sweet pics, if I get ambitious I may clean up some cables :toast:

BRiT
04-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Nice looking setup you have there SVT!

SVTSnake
04-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks!!! Cutting the holes for the radiator was actually pretty easy. All I did was made a template of the BIP3 on paper where all the holes lined up, transferred them over to the case top, made sure nothing was going to interfere inside, then got the DeWalt out along with the 4 1/2" holesaw, cut the 3 holes, then got my favorite tool back out (the Dremel), and cut between the 120mm holes! Took all of maybe a 1/2 hour :D

A little bit a grinding the edges afterwards, and voila, she was done...

rahssan
04-26-2005, 09:18 PM
nice case man

wfarid
05-09-2005, 11:34 AM
very nice... i want to build an sli/amr system as well but i can only fit a chevette hc (it will go in the bottom front) and a bix (top, between the psu and 5.25 drive bays) in my case, they would have sanyos, and a mcp600 on them but i don't know if it is enough to keep the temps down... I'm considering getting a full-tower case so I can get a boneville or something... I dunno we'll see

De_Cruelz
05-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Excellent setup you have there SVTSnake! Soon my watercooled A64 SLI rig will be ready too. I gotta ask though - For the 6800GT core, did you also apply thermal paste on the SLI bridge (the small rectangle below the 6800GT core)?