PDA

View Full Version : Help getting good contact

ronnie0738
12-03-2002, 12:27 PM
After countless trials of taking the evap on and off, remounting everything, and following pilsy's mod guide, my temps are still horrible under load (stock 3.06 at 1.55V -7C/-34C). The evap idles very low around -42C while the cpu is around -20C. It should be much cooler than this, but I can't get it down no matter what I try (adding spacers, checked for level plate & evap head, no condensation, thin seal string insulation, etc.) :mad:

Please help. :(

will_perdikakis
12-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Ronnie, that is actually right around where it should be my friend.

The -34C evaporator temps are a good indication of good contact, if there was poor contact, the evap temps would be lower....

Remember, your CPU puts out 82W of heat at stock speeds!!!!!!

ronnie0738
12-03-2002, 05:19 PM
Really? Oh...how does Pedro get his 2.8@3.7 at 1.725 never go under -12C full load?

will_perdikakis
12-03-2002, 09:44 PM
That could be many different reasons my friend.

-He could be lying. :)
-He could have a 220v unit while you have a 110v one.
-He could have more refrigerant in his system
etc, etc.

The difference in overclocking ability between -7 and -12 is nearly non-existant anyhow. Remember, it is not about the size (read temps) it is how you use it.

Also keep in mind that the thermal output given by Intels spec sheet are based on averages. Actually dissipation will vary from chip to chip. That all means that you may have gotten a chip that puts out more heat than his.

Petrus
12-04-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by will_perdikakis

-He could have a 220v unit while you have a 110v one......

Just for the record, the Danfoss NF9FX (110v) compressor used on the Prometeia exported to the US has more cooling capacity than the Danfoss NL11F (220v) used in Europe ;)

PiLsY
12-04-2002, 01:27 PM
Ronnie, heres how to check for perfect contact on the cpu....

Build your prometia up as normal, but dont use any thermal compound. Instead put a piece of thick card (about 2mms or so) of slightly larger dimensions than the cpu between the cpu and evaporator. CLamp it down as you would with your cpu in. Once youve clamped it down leave it sitting for 20 minutes or so, then undo the whole thing. Check the impression left in the card and see if its of even thickness. You can do this by cutting around the card so only the indentation is left and then checking it with a straight edge, spirit level (youll need a super accurate one though) or just eyeballing it with a light source behind it (window is perfect). If youre not getting even contact youll see that one part is thicker than the other. Probably the upper part as it was orientated on the cpu as this is usually the area of the cpu that is harder to get perfect contact on. Needless to say dont turn it on like this :p.

PiLsY.

PiLsY
12-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Another thing just occured - can you take a pic of the cpu with all the clamping stuff attatched to it but without the prometia head on and post it up m8?

Cheers,

PiLsY.

ronnie0738
12-04-2002, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the advice dude, but I just figured it out! :D My temps are -19C/-43C idle & -3C/-33C load and it's stable! My voltage HIP was getting way too warm (I read the other thread about that), so I moved the seal string over a bit and put a fan on it. Now it finally works! :D Thanks guys.