PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Xtreme Edition.

oublie
03-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Along with a lot of other things im working on at the moment, im also researching windows XP embedded.

The theory being that i should be able to build a super clean super small os which will still run benches etc. Think windows ce for overclockers or Windows XTreme :) There are a couple of questions i have at the moment,

1 if this was produced and sold on a solid state hard drive would you buy it?

2 the idea is that this would have the bare minimum of features and take up mimimal memory, would you be happy to run this as part of a dual boot system

3. this is a difficult thing to make for multiple platforms as xp embedded is focussed towards a single hardware platform developmnt. so im wondering if you think it is worthwhile. or should i just go with a few popular builds e.g. popular boards with popular gpus etc.

i found nemo
04-01-2005, 10:31 AM
i would part-take in owning this yes, b-cuz win xp pro just pisses me off especially with sp2 (about 32 back ground services) and besides xp is not very optimized with ram usage let alone page file.

i say you make this system based on dual bit, by this i mean 32 and 64 you know what i mean???? so the 32 bit can run 64 if the processor permits, and the 64 can run 32... but also make it user friendly and small boot up so that you can enter the program/ o/s with high o/c's

oublie
04-04-2005, 04:11 AM
i would part-take in owning this yes, b-cuz win xp pro just pisses me off especially with sp2 (about 32 back ground services) and besides xp is not very optimized with ram usage let alone page file.

i say you make this system based on dual bit, by this i mean 32 and 64 you know what i mean???? so the 32 bit can run 64 if the processor permits, and the 64 can run 32... but also make it user friendly and small boot up so that you can enter the program/ o/s with high o/c's

Hi Nemo,

Thanks for the reply,
ram usage would is very high on the priority list,
not viable to make both 32 and 64 bit it would probably be 32 as this is the most used setup plus xp embedded currently uses the 32 xp os kernel services etc.
small and fast boot goes without saying bundled with all the usualy oc tool etc i.e ati tool cpuz prime 95 etc etc
minimal driver / driver functionality would be installed and a little front end for services allowing for a minimalist / medium / full switch for which services to start on boot plus maybe the ability to choose which ones. This of course would run using a little script for start / stop on the services.

Ideally id like more info on CF memory etc as to its perfromance and overhead when used as a boot disk for xp. The idea being that this can be rolled out preinstalled on the disk so it is literally plug and play with an ide adaptor.

jrw
04-05-2005, 04:41 AM
In what way would the XP Xtreme be different from a nLite created XP install disc with optimized tweaks and stuff?

Sounds cool.

masterofpuppets
04-05-2005, 12:36 PM
I don't consider Windows XP xtreme by any standards, even with some cool XS enhancements.

oublie
04-08-2005, 03:09 AM
In what way would the XP Xtreme be different from a nLite created XP install disc with optimized tweaks and stuff?

Sounds cool.

i havent tried nlite although i know its quite popular and i've read a little about it. nlite however does not allow the use of some specifc xp embedded feature similar to ce. e.g a custom mini kernel etc.

try it out for yourself, its available for download from ms. :)

oublie
04-08-2005, 03:10 AM
btw have any of you any experies of using flashrom disks and using them for boot/os disks. I know its been done with linux but id like some feedback before i buy.

RAndomaN
04-08-2005, 07:29 AM
thats all very well, i somehow dont think MS will be very happy with you just using their os as you please and distrubuting it lol

oublie
04-08-2005, 08:53 AM
thats all very well, i somehow dont think MS will be very happy with you just using their os as you please and distrubuting it lol

I think you misunderstand,

1 I dont intend to distribute this as I please that is illegal
2 This is licenced software for which every sold copy invokes a licence fee im trialing it at the moment.
3 Windows xp embedded is just that, its a developed and installed custom build of the operating system, it can be used for a multitude of purposes including an os for a settop box, games systems so why not a benchmarking rig with all necessary tweaks for the specific rig incuded.
4 Next time ask a question before you jump to conclusions LOL