PDA

View Full Version : Monitor repair

STEvil
03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Got 3 monitors that need some fixing...

Monitor 1: Samsung Syncmaster 1200NF. Turns on fine, but doesnt get a signal... or cant sync, not sure which. Might be the cable, gotta try another one now that I have another.

Monitors 2 & 3: Sun Microsystem 24" widescreen "T-Rex" (Sony tubes) with deep gouges in the face of the tube (top left corner on one, bottom right on the other).

How do I fix the gouges? These things are absolutely beutiful other than them...

Thorry
03-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Have you got some pics?

My guess would be: Unfixable

It prolly means more damage has been done to the inside of the tube (which is normally vaccuum) so even if you were to fix it somehow (no idea how te replace a piece of glass, let alone where to get the right shape and material) the tube will have to be re-vaccumed.

And even if you get all of that fixed the grid is prolly damaged or bent so you'll never get a picture out of them.

Any idea where the gouches came from? Somebody threw them down a flight of stairs?

STEvil
03-30-2005, 05:32 PM
they work fine.

these are surface scratches.

Disposibleteen
03-30-2005, 05:37 PM
my rule of thumb with monitors is, "dont try to repair them no matter what." If your not careful the can pop, they break and the inside vaccuum and outside enivronment have to equalize, since this is done at a very high rate, it looks lke an explosion and is dangerous.

STEvil
03-30-2005, 06:11 PM
If I were messing with scratches that were "deep" i'd agree.

These are at most 1mm deep on the one monitor... its all on the surface.

Disposibleteen
03-30-2005, 06:27 PM
ahh, i see, maybe just buff them out and repaint the whole thing?

STEvil
03-30-2005, 08:07 PM
I dont think i'll be letting paint anywhere near the tube.

If it was the casing of the monitor I wouldnt have even made the thread..

STEvil
03-30-2005, 08:44 PM
"liquid lense" seems to be the favorite..

That stuff they use to repair car windsheilds might work too, depending how its done... will have to look into it.

elec999
04-06-2005, 07:36 PM
You can probally fix them. You may need some electronics skills, some schematics and give it a shot. There may be a capacitor broken inside.
Thanks

STEvil
04-06-2005, 08:02 PM
er.. did you read what I posted?

That windsheild repair stuff (glass base and acid mix basically) didnt even adhear to the tube.. they're sure a lot harder than automotive glass in that case!