PDA

View Full Version : HDPE Bay-Res problems

Iggy
03-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Well I've been using a t-fitting for quite some time, and I eventually just got sick of the all-too-involved fill n' bleed process, so I decided to by one of these (http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=143&HS=1) HDPE resevoirs for my setup. Only problem is, so far all it's been doing mixing in air with my system. For starters, I've attached a 1337 M$ paint diagram of my system, which is composed of:

Modded Hydor L35 w/ elbow fitting on suction/intake
DangerDen Double Heatercore
DangerDen Maze4
D-Tek HDPE resevoir

The resevoir is adding tons of EXTREMELY tiny, foamy bubbles to the setup, and about 1/4 of the tube looks like it's got toothpaste floating at the top (yes, I do have the cap off on the res btw). It's full as I can get it without the res overflowing, however it appears that only about 1/2 of the front portion of the res is full. I'm just confused as to why I can't completely fill it, when there's obviously a significant amount of room left. I have a feeling this is why air is being sucked into the system, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

MaxxxRacer
03-28-2005, 12:06 AM
um.. res needs to be above or at the same level as the rest.. thats ur problem. im sure ur getting cavitation.

bacon
03-28-2005, 01:49 AM
also any way you can route it so your res is before your pump?

idleuser
03-28-2005, 02:03 AM
tilt the case until the water has filled the radiator and pump... let it fill.. mines only take about 30 second to bleed can you say fast? and then fill the reservoir to the top that way it'll force all the air to be bleed.

phextwin
03-28-2005, 03:35 AM
also any way you can route it so your res is before your pump?
Just reverse the flow.

Iggy
03-28-2005, 10:44 AM
The res would be at the top of the system, but I had to put the pump there to fit everything into the case (double heatercore in a Chenming 601 w/ 4 drives is no fun). I know it's a stupid setup, but pretty much the only way I can get everything to fit internally (this is my LAN setup).

Pump and radiator are both completely full, but when I leave the system on for more than about half a second it begins to fill up with air again. I let it sit overnight and it actually looks pretty nice, there are still air bubbles but they've most definitely condensed together and aren't all foamy anymore. I've attached a possible solution, I think it would force the res to fill up:

(btw, how can you reverse the flow direction on an L35? 'Cuz that would fix a lot of things real easy)

jinu117
03-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Err... take out reservoir, make completely closed loop and your problem is fixed... (might be hard to take everything out though -_-; Or make really small T line right before pump and be patient....

Wang
03-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Is there no way you can put the pump at the bottom of the case? There must be room!!?? Tubing will be a wee longer, much better for the pump tho.

If your fill tube is sealed to the res. and 1/2 full of water... no air right?
Of course your pump being above the res. is not good.

[edit] gotta love the ol XP1700+ !! I just re-clocked mine to 11.5x225 -2594Mhz 1.87v. I'm running a gig of ram.... not bad for the 'ol girl!

phextwin
03-28-2005, 08:40 PM
(btw, how can you reverse the flow direction on an L35? 'Cuz that would fix a lot of things real easy)Err... put the inlet pipe on the outlet and visa-versa.

MaxxxRacer
03-29-2005, 12:24 AM
wow. i didnt realice you had it backwards... ur setup is totaly wrong

go res --> pump --> rad --> cpu block --> back to res...

the flow going ito the pump MIUST!!!! come from the res.. any other way and u starve it and will dammage the pump.

scottk
03-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Pump and radiator are both completely full, but when I leave the system on for more than about half a second it begins to fill up with air again. I let it sit overnight and it actually looks pretty nice, there are still air bubbles but they've most definitely condensed together and aren't all foamy anymore. I've attached a possible solution, I think it would force the res to fill up

The fill port on these hdpe res's are countersunk pretty deep, so you have to tilt the res to get it really full. Some of the resellers are modding the fill port with a vent hole to make it easier to fill the res up. The vent hole allows air to escape through the countersunk fill-port thread. Without the vent hole, they are a PITA to get really full if you have it mounted in a bay.

Here's a related thread (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=358632)