PDA

View Full Version : split the internet which comes from the router.

caLume
03-26-2005, 12:02 AM
high :)

im on a router with my cousin. im sitting in another room of the house so i put a network cable under the roof from mine to his room (where the router is situated) to get access to the internet.
now i got a problem, i want to have my cruncher access to the internet from my room and i dont want to put a second cable under the roof.
is it possible that i attach the cable which i get from the router to the uplink of a switch and so that all pcs on the switch get access to the internet ?

thanks in advance :)

redgoo
03-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Does the router assign IPs through DHCP? If so, you should just be able to plug in a switch and it will work without having to make any other changes.

bachus_anonym
03-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Exactly! You can get e.g second router and connect them both together.
Just remember on thing though... You will have to disable DHCP on that router that you will keep in your room. Only router upstairs will assign private IPs.

EDIT: I have all my crunchers set-up this way. I was about to get a switch, but then I dug out extra router that I forgot I had :D It works like a charm now. I'm just thinking about buying short cross-over cable so I can use WAN to connect second router instead one of using up last available LAN port ;)

caLume
03-26-2005, 02:20 AM
yes the router which is connected to the internet assign the ips through dhcp.

nice, thanks :up:

bachus_anonym
03-26-2005, 02:25 AM
Oh, also besides disabling DHCP on the second router change it's IP address from 192.168.0.1 to say, 192.168.0.254. Then you will be able to configure them both.

EDIT: I can't remember but I think when you use cross-over cable instead reguar patch cable, then you don't have to disable DHCP manually. The router should be able to automatically recognize that there's another router connected and change settings accordingly... I'm not 100% sure, though ;)

sllywhtboy
03-26-2005, 03:39 PM
simplest would be to get a switch. plug the cable from your cousin's router into the switch, and two cables into your two machines.

adding routers would increase complexity 10x

SLaY3r07
03-26-2005, 09:23 PM
EDIT: I have all my crunchers set-up this way. I was about to get a switch, but then I dug out extra router that I forgot I had :D It works like a charm now. I'm just thinking about buying short cross-over cable so I can use WAN to connect second router instead one of using up last available LAN port ;)

Nice book ;)

oublie
03-27-2005, 05:48 AM
simplest would be to get a switch. plug the cable from your cousin's router into the switch, and two cables into your two machines.

adding routers would increase complexity 10x

Sllywhtboy is right, im running a 4way switch off my router, which has 1 ethernet and 1 usb connection. The usb connection is linked to another room, the 4 way swith is in by computer room running 4 machines.

this is cheap and easy