when will they (venice) hit the streets? :D

conrad.maranan
03-27-2005, 02:53 PM
when will they (venice) hit the streets? :D
Read three post above yours.

spytech
03-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Read three post above yours.

a better question is when will it hit newegg?

metro.cl
03-27-2005, 08:51 PM
no news??? try benching on air or water if really low temps wont work :stick:

Gsus_Freak
03-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi yall, this is my first post.

That is some impressive stuff. My clawhammer doesn't scale well at all at default voltage. Have you all tried the new relece of CPU-Z? It didn't mention if it had venice RAM corrections...but you never know.

Looks like the venice mem controler is REALLY spectacular, I bet the FX is jelios :). By the way, alot of people are speculating that AMD put an over clocking bug in there on purpose to hinder over clockers. Using the logic of Fixed multipliers as proof that AMD does not like over clockers. The fact is, the reason that the norm A64's are locked is so that people don't get chips that companys sell low speed parts as high speed parts. Remember hearing about the 1 million XP cpu's that were getting marked. Personaly, I think it is an error with an absolute value sign in the boot up cycle. As a programer, sometimes we get a little crazy to aviod math errors like dividing by 0 and like wise by just some code trickery. What happens is things like the negitive temp bug. Lets say the cpu is running at a core of -70, well, the MB would see 70c and respond acourdinly. That might not be the exsact problem mind you...but I do think it is a bug and not an intentinal attemt to hinder enthusiests from over clocking their own chips.

EvilWhiteDragon
03-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi yall, this is my first post.

That is some impressive stuff. My clawhammer doesn't scale well at all at default voltage. Have you all tried the new relece of CPU-Z? It didn't mention if it had venice RAM corrections...but you never know.

Looks like the venice mem controler is REALLY spectacular, I bet the FX is jelios :). By the way, alot of people are speculating that AMD put an over clocking bug in there on purpose to hinder over clockers. Using the logic of Fixed multipliers as proof that AMD does not like over clockers. The fact is, the reason that the norm A64's are locked is so that people don't get chips that companys sell low speed parts as high speed parts. Remember hearing about the 1 million XP cpu's that were getting marked. Personaly, I think it is an error with an absolute value sign in the boot up cycle. As a programer, sometimes we get a little crazy to aviod math errors like dividing by 0 and like wise by just some code trickery. What happens is things like the negitive temp bug. Lets say the cpu is running at a core of -70, well, the MB would see 70c and respond acourdinly. That might not be the exsact problem mind you...but I do think it is a bug and not an intentinal attemt to hinder enthusiests from over clocking their own chips.
I must agree with you that it isn't very likely that the bug was made on purpose, but I don't think that AMD willl rush to the drawing board niether. Because there like maybe 10000 people atmost that have the stuff to get thier CPU to minus XX degrees.

I hope that the San Diego's won't have this problem because I'm gonna buy 1 and probebly put it under YoupY's cascade.

Jesse71
03-28-2005, 02:45 AM
Seems goods this Venice, but with CPU-Z 1.28 there are bugs too ? :cool:

HaLDoL
03-28-2005, 05:36 AM
This chip has been tossed around for what... 4 days and noone has bothered to test 4x512 1T yet?

Its the burning question we all have. :stick: :(
4x256 BH5 was tested and it wouldn't boot

derubermensch1
03-28-2005, 06:59 AM
I can't wait to see how far back in bios revisions on the DFI this chip will boot from ; )

Jasonhk
03-28-2005, 07:04 AM

Yeo only at 2T :(

s7e9h3n
03-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Yeo only at 2T :(
Ummmm......no. It was at 1t :)

Rolle2k
03-28-2005, 09:06 AM
s7e9h3n: Did you test how high the FSB did go with 4x512 and 1T timing? cus im going to order 4x512 TwinMOS Speed Premium & A64 with Venice core soon, and would like to know.

s7e9h3n
03-28-2005, 09:19 AM
s7e9h3n: Did you test how high the FSB did go with 4x512 and 1T timing? cus im going to order 4x512 TwinMOS Speed Premium & A64 with Venice core soon.
Never had 4x512 sticks to test :p: . I only was able to test 2x256 BH-5:
http://img115.exs.cx/img115/9205/2754wx.jpg

metro.cl
03-28-2005, 10:19 AM
anyone has a link to another venico or diego threat??? anywhere hopefully with runs on air, water and 4x512mb???

s7e9h3n
03-28-2005, 10:52 AM
anyone has a link to another venico or diego threat??? anywhere hopefully with runs on air, water and 4x512mb???
HERE (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56313)

It's my thread about the 3800+ Venice. It was stickied, but I don't know what happened. Anyways, you'll find benches of the cpu on both stock and phase-change cooling......

metro.cl
03-28-2005, 10:57 AM
HERE (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56313)

It's my thread about the 3800+ Venice. It was stickied, but I don't know what happened. Anyways, you'll find benches of the cpu on both stock and phase-change cooling......

thanks mate but i have already read that one

REDKEN
03-28-2005, 11:04 AM
air and water result's from the 3500 will be posted in just a few hr's.
Thanks for the info :toast:

metro.cl
03-28-2005, 11:05 AM

nice ill be checking the forum then :banana: :banana:

SLaY3r07
03-28-2005, 11:11 AM
w00t :party:

chunkylover77
03-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Can you give us a little hint? Good or bad?

Jort
03-28-2005, 11:18 AM
what do you think :stick:
xtreme offcource :toast:

HousERaT
03-28-2005, 11:20 AM

I'm sure this is what about 90% of us are waiting for....... :slobber:

bachus_anonym
03-28-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm very curious what exactly is on the list of benches and other tests ;) ?

Thanks for your effort, pc ice :toast:

mcnbns
03-28-2005, 11:23 AM
w00t! Water cooled Venice scores! PC Ice, you rock! :toast:

s7e9h3n
03-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm sure this is what about 90% of us are waiting for....... :slobber:
Th other 10% of us are wondering where are the XTREME screenies of this 3500+ :D

kappa2001
03-28-2005, 12:00 PM

Great :)

xavicl
03-28-2005, 12:08 PM
gogo :p:

sinsinking
03-28-2005, 12:10 PM
It's very nice
I think on air those 3000/3200 can climb 2.7ghz easily.

iboomalot
03-28-2005, 12:11 PM
sweet avatar for wonder bra

shuRe
03-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Th other 10% of us are wondering where are the XTREME screenies of this 3500+ :D

I think that air and water are more important cause there is no real use for running these under extremly low temps (-70+) cause u cant use them 24/7.

Most people run on air / water.

chefnr1
03-28-2005, 12:17 PM
:)well i just have to by a 3500+ venice

saaya
03-28-2005, 12:28 PM
wat is sSOI?
ive only heard of SOI (silicon on insulator) SS (strained silicon) and SSDOI (a combination)
winchester doesnt have SS so that theory doesnt work :)

i talked to amd on cebit, and yes, all their 90nm cpus are built on soi and use SS. at least thats what they told me.

The FX-55 is and always has been strained silicon-on-insulator or sSOI, AMD publicly declared that at launch :up:

As for the cold bug - there are a number of theories but I personally believe it has something to do with the thermal diode reporting incorrectly, not inherent limits of the chip - AMD changed the diode with Winchester, they changed it again with Venice AFAIK and since we haven't seen new BIOSes for the chips yet (they haven't been officially launched, go figure) it's quite possible this issue could be resolved for all Venice core CPUs.

I remain optimistic! :rehab:
hmmm good idear matt! maybe the new chips need an updated bios as well to get rid of the cold bug completely... could be possible as well...

but from what i heard the temp probe hasnt changed in venice, it only has been changed in winchester and rev E4 aka san diego, wich is why they both needed a new bios to boot while venice doesnt need an updated bios.

yeah i didn't think about that... hmmm, well its gotta be the diode, i wouldn't be surprised if this cold bug is an anti overclocking issue made by AMD. it would make sense becuase they designate the FX line as their enthusiest proc and conveniently(spell?) it has no cold bug... similarily as we all know its mult is unlocked
but if this where true if then logically there would be a specific temp in which the procs would stop working and all would have the same bug, not just some :shrug:

lol, funny theory, but no, i really really dont think amd tried to limit ocers by making their chips unstable or not bootable at low temps. if they did then they did a really bad job since many chips seem to still boot at -40°C or even colder...

and i dont think amd would change their cpus just because 0.01% of their cpus get supercooled and overclocked, wich helps them marketing and selling their cpus...

Those 256MB sticks might have had chips on both sides of the memory module
but are in fact single "banked" alot of people get confused between double banked and double sided DDR SDRAM...

To test the memory controller they will need to use 4x 512MB ram modules, these will be double banked.
there are also DS SB 512mb sticks, but very few.
pc ice said he will use 4 512mb sticks of tccd and see if they run at stock with 1t and how high he can get them :)

hey MsB, welcome to XtremeSystems :toast:

Kinda off topic... but I just want to say that Saaya has been doing a good job of posting this topic to other forums! I'm sure a lot of people in other forums that don't post on other forums are VERY interested in the happenings of the Venice and don't always know where to get the best info. :toast:
thx :)

many news sites i sent a link to the venice preview didnt want to post about it because they or their partner sites will have venice reviews ready soon and fear that less people will read the review if they already saw a preview :rolleyes:
so i thougt i will just bring the news to the people directly then :D

This chip has been tossed around for what... 4 days and noone has bothered to test 4x512 1T yet?

Its the burning question we all have. :stick: :(
pc ice hasnt picked up the chip from opp yet, and opp can get it to boot under his cascade...

welcome to XtremeSystems Gsus_Freak :toast:
and im sure amd likes ocers, if they wouldnt then they would not sell a chip like the fx with all multipliers unlocked, and they would have locked all multipliers on all a64s and not just the higher ones ;)

this sounds more like a bios problem to me though, since bh5 only comes in 32mb/ic sizes wich means 4 256mb sticks bh5 are pretty much like 2 512mb sticks bh5... of course there are other differences, but whether its 4 256mb sticks or 2 512mb sticks, its still 32 memory chips to address either way... so kinda weird the one works but the other doesnt?

s7e9h3n: Did you test how high the FSB did go with 4x512 and 1T timing? cus im going to order 4x512 TwinMOS Speed Premium & A64 with Venice core soon, and would like to know.
please read some posts before you ask something, in every page of this thread this question has been asked at least once and at least been answered once as well :D

metro.cl
03-28-2005, 01:13 PM
amd wouldnt block the procesors for -100°C people that have that equipment is like 0.000001% of the market and limting the procs. because of them would be expensive

that would be bad for marketing couse most of us come here and see pc ice, fugger, macci, opp, opb, etc... and go and try to buy the procesors and all we can buy to reach the same level of oc (thats insane but hope is the last thing you loose)

p.d. sorry for mi english it sucks :(

Orthogonal
03-28-2005, 01:30 PM
He said they'd be posted in about an hour... it's been nearly 3. :(
I guess it's worth it though, I just hope he's not running into problem's right now. :eek:

saaya
03-28-2005, 01:41 PM
He said they'd be posted in about an hour... it's been nearly 3. :(
I guess it's worth it though, I just hope he's not running into problem's right now. :eek:

maybe bad traffic on the streets between opps and pc ice's place :D
just subscribe to this thread and check it out as soon as you get a notification of 3 new posts in this thread in a row, than you can be sure that something new has been posted! :D :lol:

LowRun
03-28-2005, 01:51 PM
And he said a few hours so 2 should be considered a minimum, patience ;)

_Eduard_
03-28-2005, 01:56 PM
hehe can't wait...

s7e9h3n
03-28-2005, 03:02 PM
And he said a few hours so 2 should be considered a minimum, patience ;)
2 is a couple. A few would be considered at least 3 hours. :D

Lidocaine
03-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I have been communicating with an AMD Technician over the past several weeks over various issues, and hopefully this will clear the air in regards to filling all 4 DIMMS and running 1T CMD rate.

I asked this:

Will the Venice and SanDiego CPU's resolve this
issue.........meaning will these cores allow all 4 DIMMS filled with
double-sided ram on s939 boards to default to DDR400 and 1T CMD Rate
instead of DDR333 and 2T like the Winchester/NewCastle/Clawhammers
currently do?

His reply was this:

As you have perceived, the Venice and San Diego cores will alleviate
this problem. AMD has revised and improved the memory controller
within the chip to eliminate the issue.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to
contact me.

Regards,

Quit stressing..................it will work. :D

LowRun
03-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks Lidocaine, damn good news, my 4x512 sticks should be here in 2 days so i'm a happy camper :D

SLaY3r07
03-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the news Lidocaine :banana:

saaya
03-28-2005, 03:31 PM
thx for the infos :)

hmmm in case the 4 512mb sticks DONT work with 1t on pc ice' rig, then this means either your amd guy misunderstood you and meant they will default to ddr400 2t and not ddr333 2t like they do know, OR the boards need a bios update to not force 4 512mb sticks to 333 or 400 2t, wich makes sence as well....

if we're lucky it will work with the current bios :D

winston64
03-28-2005, 04:31 PM
is it me or has it been almost 6 hours since PC ICE's post :stick: :rolleyes:

Fzero
03-28-2005, 04:36 PM
I CANT WAIT FOR THEM TO SHIP ON THE 4TH :p:

there is one thing that bothers me tho everyone says the cold bug is the chips fault me personally think it is a mb issue that a simple bios flash will fix like how every one has to flash there bios to be able to use the venice.

i just dont see why AMD would not work on this issue more other then pass it down to a nether core well hopefully they will get it all sorted by the time i get mine because i wouldnt mind putting it under a ps unit.

s7e9h3n
03-28-2005, 04:41 PM
I CANT WAIT FOR THEM TO SHIP ON THE 4TH :p:

there is one thing that bothers me tho everyone says the cold bug is the chips fault me personally think it is a mb issue that a simple bios flash will fix like how every one has to flash there bios to be able to use the venice.

i just do see why AMD would not work on this issue more other then pass it down to a nether core well hopefully they will get it all sorted by the time i get mine because i wouldnt mind putting it under a ps unit.

It's because there essentially is no demand for a cpu that functions sub-zero. Only a small (I mean real small) percentage of users put cpu's under phase-change. ;)

mcnbns
03-28-2005, 06:49 PM
About the temp issue... everyone keeps saying only the E4 (San Diego) CPUs had an updated thermal thingy. The E3 (Venice) remains the same (a la Winchester cold bug).

Therefore, it is my hypothesis that AMD redid the temp problem for their E4 90nm stuff so that people will be able to phase change cool FX-57s for some bad ass overclocking. We poor losers that have to get Venice CPUs (E3) will be relegated to -90 C or higher temps. :) (I use -90 C because that is when Opp said the Venice stopped working under his cascade.)

Remember, AMD is far more concerned about enthusiasts than some other CPU companies. Being that the FX-57 is an enthusiast-oriented CPU, it is to AMD's benefit not to thermally cripple it.

saaya
03-28-2005, 07:12 PM
from what i heard it didnt stop working at -90°C, it didnt work at -90°C!

so far we only got confirmation of it working at -40°C and not woking at-90°C afaik, somehwhere between that it stops working, but who knows where...

and yeah mcnbs, about the temp probe rework and the fx57 thats exactly what i think, they re-did the temp probe so their enthusiast cpu is ready to reach some nice numbers.

winston64
03-28-2005, 07:13 PM
I have come to the conclusion that PC ICE got kidnnapped by aliens theyre probably probing him now... :stick:

SLaY3r07
03-28-2005, 07:31 PM
I have come to the conclusion that PC ICE got kidnnapped by aliens theyre probably probing him now... :stick:

Oh. I thought he got dragged into the jungle by drunk monkeys...

Gogeta
03-28-2005, 07:36 PM
this sounds more like a bios problem to me though, since bh5 only comes in 32mb/ic sizes wich means 4 256mb sticks bh5 are pretty much like 2 512mb sticks bh5... of course there are other differences, but whether its 4 256mb sticks or 2 512mb sticks, its still 32 memory chips to address either way... so kinda weird the one works but the other doesnt?

But wouldn't signal quality decrease when it is split between 4 banks instead of 2 banks? If what you say is true, then we would be able to oc 4x256 to simliar frequencies reached with 2x512. Who knows, maybe we can and nobody has tested...but I'm pretty dern sure it would take extra voltage. Nonetheless, it could easily be a bios problem.

saaya
03-28-2005, 08:09 PM
i dont know tbh, i have always been under the impression that the chipset pretty much treats 1 512mb stick like 2 256mb sticks in the same slot (unless its a dual channel memory configuration :P)

redgoo
03-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Wow, amazing results. I'm really looking forward to the water results as well.

Only 7 more days... plus shipping :)

metro.cl
03-28-2005, 10:19 PM
i dont know tbh, i have always been under the impression that the chipset pretty much treats 1 512mb stick like 2 256mb sticks in the same slot (unless its a dual channel memory configuration :P)

Thats exactly what it does, is a per channel thing, slot 1 & 2 together become 1 channel that is why you can run dual channel with 2x256mb and 1x512mb (2x256mb on the first channel = 512mb, slot 1 & 2, and 1x512mb en chann2l 2, 3rd slot)

STEvil
03-28-2005, 11:03 PM

It depends how the traces are laid on the memory stick.

2x256 DS can have the traces to each side so its actually still only "1 bank" per stick or could be done so its "2 banks" per stick... the number of chips on each side doesnt mean much.

With 16 chips per stick you've got no choice.

sandybeach
03-29-2005, 01:22 AM
The 940pin chipset supports well doesnt suport, but will run 4x512 at 1t command at ddr400. All the 940 ads really is an extra pin for ground termination and an extra few wait states If I remember so I can't see it being all that hard to adapt it to 939.. But then again for some strange reason maybe its impossible, lol.

Maybe its the 940pin's thick arse PCB that can help with this as it uses a 6layer the 939 on a 4 layer. maybe its a combo of design and low noise that can allow the 940 to do it. "confused"

saaya
03-29-2005, 06:27 AM
The 940pin chipset supports well doesnt suport, but will run 4x512 at 1t command at ddr400. All the 940 ads really is an extra pin for ground termination and an extra few wait states If I remember so I can't see it being all that hard to adapt it to 939.. But then again for some strange reason maybe its impossible, lol.

Maybe its the 940pin's thick arse PCB that can help with this as it uses a 6layer the 939 on a 4 layer. maybe its a combo of design and low noise that can allow the 940 to do it. "confused"

the extra wait states are through the reg memory afaik, right?
it works pretty much like adding an extra cycle of latency, but with memory interleaving the performence impact is pretty small it seems, as the first 940 fx cpus with reg memory scores almost the same if not better than 939 unreg memory systems at the same settings.

and stevil, are there really ram makers that put 8 chips on a 256mb stick and wire it like its 2 banks? wth are they smoking? :lol:

i wonder what micron thougt as well though when they made this 256mb stick with 4 memory chips on one side i have here :stick:

bad news btw, pc ice hurt his back trying to lift his cascade (dont try that at home kids! :D) and he has probs going on with the testing it seems since his back hurts a lot.
and he said he has the water and air results on a raid array he has problems accessing now but will post the results asap.
lets all wish him to get well again soon :toast:

sandybeach
03-29-2005, 06:36 AM
Ive got a few vicoden he can have if it helps testing? ;) lol

as for 940 yeah the wait states and so on don't seem to hurt performance at all. It was more the HT sped gain from 939 over 940 and that the newer chipset nf3-250 - nf4 where at the time all 939.

I would like to see an nf4 Tyan with a single 2.6ghz 252 opty at 2-2-2-5-1t and twekaed with a64 tweaker and then compared side by side an fx55+dfi nf4 at same settings ;)

_Eduard_
03-29-2005, 07:14 AM
ouch that gotta be heavy such a cascade lol :)

isp
03-29-2005, 08:24 AM
OPP wasn't there to spot him? :hehe:

chunkylover77
03-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Man that sucks. No one knows back pain more than me. I've just been recovering from recent fusion surgery which was the 6th surgery I've had on mine in the past 2 years. I'm feeling your pain Pc Ice. And I also have some very good narcotics if you need them. :toast: Feel better

saaya
03-29-2005, 09:11 AM
lol, no drug trading on xs please :lol:

yeah, i also have probs with my back a lot, get well again soon dave! :toast:

MsB
03-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Holy Mackrel I dont think I want a cascade if its that heavy. Oh well Patience is all I have anymore. Take care of that back ICE!

saaya
03-29-2005, 03:58 PM
pc ice told me he could bench with 2.8ghz and 1.4v (stock) on watercooling, so sounds like good news to me! :D
cant wait for the results! :D

S0nic
03-29-2005, 04:00 PM
is that prime stable?

many 3500+ clawhammers are able to do 2.8 on water with a bit more voltage prime stable, some can even do it on air..

Cpt Twitchy
03-29-2005, 04:09 PM
I hope your back starts to feel better soon pc ice. Take it easy as your health is more important than some oc'ing although some may beg to differ.

stock volts + water @ 2.8Ghz = :slobber: Once you get better keep up the great work.

saaya
03-29-2005, 04:46 PM
is that prime stable?

many 3500+ clawhammers are able to do 2.8 on water with a bit more voltage prime stable, some can even do it on air..
i dont think pc ice wasted the few days he could play with this cpu running prime to see how stable an oc was ;)

and this is the first time i hear that many clawhammers do 2.8ghz stable on water... i have seen SOME few, but its def not normal afaik.

and again, it did 2.8ghz stable for all benches with STOCK vcore, so im pretty sure speeds above 2.8ghz can be obtained prime stable with more vcore.

flutie98
03-29-2005, 06:26 PM
this is great news for me, now all i need is a preorder button

metro.cl
03-29-2005, 06:39 PM
no screenshots???

BadlyDrawnBoy
03-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Very nice

SLaY3r07
03-29-2005, 07:55 PM
:woot: still on stock voltage

bachus_anonym
03-29-2005, 07:56 PM
keep going, dave....

bachus_anonym
03-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Dave... Did you have a chance to see what was the max 3D or SuperPI benchable for 3500+ with max voltage neccesary? Did upping voltage give any gains? Were the 4x512MB sticks all same brand-speed rating TCCD?

situman
03-29-2005, 08:38 PM
odd so it didnt respond to higher volts under water cooling. Bummer, so its either stock volts or nothing.

chunkylover77
03-29-2005, 08:49 PM
the tccd's were very close to being the same..i do beleve if i have 2 more 512's of the same stuff then it would have worked..or mabey just a little bio's fixing..

it seemed as far as voltage went the chip didnt want any more voltage...but i was playing it very safe as it was not my chip. :) i tried 1.6v and there was no difference..

the PI was 33s @ that speed no patch.

i would realy like to have a chip like that in my gamer..

Now that is what I wanted to hear. :D

cadaveca
03-29-2005, 09:33 PM
woah..let me get this straight...no gains at all from voltage?

bachus_anonym
03-29-2005, 09:40 PM
it seemed as far as voltage went the chip didnt want any more voltage...but i was playing it very safe as it was not my chip. :) i tried 1.6v and there was no difference..
that's exactly what I was affraid to hear :(

2.8GHz is not too bad but unfortunately, not great either :( there are many 3000+ Winnies that are benchable on good air/water around 2.8GHz...
also, SSE3 extensions are not really that usefull at this very moment, besides the fact that SuperPi could be run with a patch now :D

it might seem that if one has 2.8GHz 3000+ Winnie, then be very carefull and do not sell it before you actually get Venice and test it...

~$300 for 3500+ Venice vs ~$150-220 for 3000+/3200+ Winnie..... hmmm

EDIT: I know, I know... latest Winnies are crap... :D but I had those that already have great clocking Winnies...

thanks for testing, dave :toast:

Little-Iron
03-29-2005, 11:22 PM
that's exactly what I was affraid to hear :(

2.8GHz is not too bad but unfortunately, not great either :( there are many 3000+ Winnies that are benchable on good air/water around 2.8GHz...
also, SSE3 extensions are not really that usefull at this very moment, besides the fact that SuperPi could be run with a patch now :D

it might seem that if one has 2.8GHz 3000+ Winnie, then be very carefull and do not sell it before you actually get Venice and test it...

~$300 for 3500+ Venice vs ~$150-220 for 3000+/3200+ Winnie..... hmmm

EDIT: I know, I know... latest Winnies are crap... :D but I had those that already have great clocking Winnies...

thanks for testing, dave :toast:

Will there be more "new's on this" , in this thread ? Any Ideal what a 3200 will go for ?? Thanks
:)

chefnr1
03-30-2005, 12:09 AM
well i have orderd a 3500+ Venice and i'll get mine at 050426 so it's just waiting time

MsB
03-30-2005, 01:18 AM
well i have orderd a 3500+ Venice and i'll get mine at 050426 so it's just waiting time
Where did you order one from ? Do they have preorder for san diegos? anyone know where i could order one?

chefnr1
03-30-2005, 01:31 AM
on this webshop in sweden, 4000+ is san diego but here is two links one for 3500+venice and one for 4000+
http://www.sbs.o.se/default.asp?artnr=ADA3500BPBOX
http://www.sbs.o.se/default.asp?artnr=ADA4000BNBOX
they have from 3000+ ->4000+

MsB
03-30-2005, 01:44 AM
on this webshop in sweden, 4000+ is san diego but here is two links one for 3500+venice and one for 4000+
http://www.sbs.o.se/default.asp?artnr=ADA3500BPBOX
http://www.sbs.o.se/default.asp?artnr=ADA4000BNBOX
they have from 3000+ ->4000+
sweden? I think Ill wai ttill they get here I hoope it isnt too much longer for them to get here than there.

chefnr1
03-30-2005, 01:51 AM
i think it's the same date in US as in swe:)

Jasonhk
03-30-2005, 02:08 AM
thing is they dont seems liek they scale well with more voltage (:

shuRe
03-30-2005, 02:27 AM
i hate to say it but i knew that everyone would be disapointed, they arnt that better than what we got atm.

Got any air results?

Squid_Spit
03-30-2005, 02:29 AM
I sure hope they respond to voltage while 2.8ghz on water is good but not great, i wanna see 3ghz on water.

AMDnewbie
03-30-2005, 02:44 AM
A little disappointed now but hope its just afew that behave this way

gundamit
03-30-2005, 03:08 AM
every chip is different..im not taking any of these result's as a influence on the next venice chip..i bet the next one will love the super cold and more voltage.. and 2.8ghz on 1.4v is no bummer at all. I like you're attitude. Stay positive. Under the same circumstances I'm sure some members would be wondering why God hates them so much and talking to their local suicide prevention hotline workers about how they think they'll never reach 3ghz. :hehe:

Great stuff BTW. Keep it coming. I'm going to wait at least a month to let the dust settle from the general retail channel release, and then decide if I'm buying in. 2gig (4x512mb) 1T for EQ2 would be too tempting to pass on.

JDizzle
03-30-2005, 04:14 AM
Oh, and I forgot to say....for those that are wondering if these cpu's scale with voltage: They do scale, and very well if I may add.

So the 3500+ doesn't scale and the 3800+ does according to what pc_ice and s7 have said.

gundamit
03-30-2005, 04:32 AM
So the 3500+ doesn't scale and the 3800+ does according to what pc_ice and s7 have said. I think PC_Ice is also saying we shouldn't be drawing any conclusions froma couple CPUs. This is just a preview. Who knows how things will really play out. A good picture should start to emerge when the early adopters (and the guys who shown a lot of discipline passing on the on the Winnies and Clawcastles/NewHammers over the last few weeks) start posting their results.

trans am
03-30-2005, 04:40 AM
I think PC_Ice is also saying we shouldn't be drawing any conclusions froma couple CPUs. This is just a preview. Who knows how things will really play out. A good picture should start to emerge when the early adopters (and the guys who shown a lot of discipline passing on the on the Winnies and Clawcastles/NewHammers over the last few weeks) start posting their results.

aMEN.
what seems to be the temp threshold here? what are the chances OPP and pc_ice can swap cpus? I am planning on running one of these on my single stage, so scaling is really the issue for me personally. My winnie was only about 100mhz better on phase. it would be nice to just crank her up and get a 1ghz oc but I think those days are over. :(

mcnbns
03-30-2005, 04:51 AM
I, for one, am not disappointed with these results at all. As PC Ice said, 2.8GHz AT STOCK VOLTAGE is nothing to complain about.

If I can get a 3000+ and run it at 2.8GHz under water cooling I will be happy, and it looks ilke I might be able to do just that.

Thanks for taking the time to test this stuff, PC Ice! :toast:

situman
03-30-2005, 06:08 AM
True different cpus will react differently to volts. I remembered the old 3.0c SL6WU didnt respond to volts at all, while the 3.0c SL6WK responded nicely to more volts. So we will just have to wait and see.

s0ck
03-30-2005, 06:53 AM
Really need some air results chaps so the rest of us can work out what kinda oc we can expect.

LowRun
03-30-2005, 07:04 AM
I, for one, am not disappointed with these results at all. As PC Ice said, 2.8GHz AT STOCK VOLTAGE is nothing to complain about.

If I can get a 3000+ and run it at 2.8GHz under water cooling I will be happy, and it looks ilke I might be able to do just that.

Thanks for taking the time to test this stuff, PC Ice! :toast:

Same here. But what concerns me is the 4x512 ram stuff 'cos right now i'm facing 4x512 of TCCD (just landed) that i expect to play nice with a lil' Venice, so really hope this will be sorted one way or another.

shuRe
03-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Really need some air results chaps so the rest of us can work out what kinda oc we can expect.

i agree, these are the most important seeing as there are more air coolers out there than water and phase put together

mcnbns
03-30-2005, 08:00 AM
If you have an XP90 equivalent or better water cooling won't help with an overclock much at all, so these results are just about as good as it gets.

Water cooling doesn't give you that much better temps than air, but it has a higher capacity for cooling (it can deal with more heat better).

s0ck
03-30-2005, 08:04 AM
If you have an XP90 equivalent or better water cooling won't help with an overclock much at all, so these results are just about as good as it gets.

I'd disagree there...

Water cooling doesn't give you that much better temps than air, but it has a higher capacity for cooling (it can deal with more heat better).

Exactly my point... it makes it difficult to gauge the results, especially when water has such a massive cooling capacity in comparison with air, despite the temps being very similar.

mcnbns
03-30-2005, 08:08 AM
What I mean is, in this case, since a good air cooled setup will be able to deal with this amount of heat that water doesn't have an unfair advantage.

In either case, these results are a lot more informative than we often see for CPUs that aren't even released yet.

saaya
03-30-2005, 08:34 AM
I'd disagree there...

xp90 and xp120 and other heatsinks with a high cfm fan get very very close to watercooling, and only top notch good watercooling setups can get notably better temps in my expirience.

saaya
03-30-2005, 09:43 AM
i received a zip with more screenshots i will post here in 30mins or so :D

Vincentvega18
03-30-2005, 10:10 AM
:D im so glad i just checked this thread.......gotta love dumb luck.

saaya
03-30-2005, 10:38 AM
ok, thats all so far, as soon as i get more results from pc ice or oppainter i will post them :)

Fzero
03-30-2005, 11:13 AM
what caused the error in sandra just pushed it to high and what you said in the first post about the volts is that still there with water?

odb
03-30-2005, 11:13 AM
does anybody have any reservations about buying one of these venice chips and it might not work on phase change? i know i do. i been looking for a solution incase my winchester doesnt agree with the chilly1 phase change cooler that hes making soon, and well i know it wont reach -90c and -40c might be more reasonable but who says all venice chips work like this one. i guess we have to wait till they are released for some solid feed back on subzero compatibility, besides one chip.

s7e9h3n
03-30-2005, 12:38 PM
does anybody have any reservations about buying one of these venice chips and it might not work on phase change? i know i do. i been looking for a solution incase my winchester doesnt agree with the chilly1 phase change cooler that hes making soon, and well i know it wont reach -90c and -40c might be more reasonable but who says all venice chips work like this one. i guess we have to wait till they are released for some solid feed back on subzero compatibility, besides one chip.
Well.....so far it's two outta two that work with single stage. Both the 3800+ and the 3500+ didn't have a problem at sub zero. The coldest I could get the 3800+ was ~ -35C. Also, the 3800+ was able to run benches @ ~2.9G on a stock hsf:
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/5968/10x2909pv.jpg
Personally, I think that these cpu's do scale with voltage. It's just that the range of vcore is smaller that what we're used to. The 3800+ stopped responding to bumps in Vcore at around 1.65V.

saaya
03-30-2005, 01:12 PM
what caused the error in sandra just pushed it to high and what you said in the first post about the volts is that still there with water?

check the first post of this thread, i sorted all results regarding water and phase change cooling :)

and yes, the error was caused by a too high oc.

Well.....so far it's two outta two that work with single stage. Both the 3800+ and the 3500+ didn't have a problem at sub zero. The coldest I could get the 3800+ was ~ -35C. Also, the 3800+ was able to run benches @ ~2.9G on a stock hsf:
Personally, I think that these cpu's do scale with voltage. It's just that the range of vcore is smaller that what we're used to. The 3800+ stopped responding to bumps in Vcore at around 1.65V.

you mean you couldnt get the temps to go lower than -35°C because the mach2 didnt get the cpu cooler, or do you mean the cpu crashed when you reached temps below -35°C? evap temps or cpu temps read by the internal diode?

hmmm did you play with the 3500+ on air or phase change steven?
did it respond to vcore? dave said the 3500+ didnt respond to vcore bumps AT ALL and he tried up to 1.6v :confused: maybe its a problem with his board? :confused:

s7e9h3n
03-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey saaya,
All temps I noted were read on a uei dt200 from a thermocouple attached to the side of the cpu. The -35 was just the limit of the cooling, not the 3800+. I don't think my unmodded mach2 could have gone any lower with this cpu.
Nope, I never even considered testing the 3500+. I needed a break after the 3800+ and put my fx55 back. I actually had spent more time testing the 3800+ with the mach2 than I had with the fx55.
In no way am I questioning PC-Ice's results with the 3500+, but there probably is a problem with this board or something of that nature. I have yet to see a cpu which didn't respond at all to bumps in vcore. The Venice scaled as well as, if not better, a lot of cpu's I've seen. It's just that the way it scaled was a little different. It seemed as if bumping the 3800+'s Vcore didn't have a large affect on the cpu's temperature. I don't think I recall the cpu temp ever idling in the 40's, even @ 1.70 Vcore. Basically, the cpu just stopped responding OC-wise beyond ~1.65V.

check the first post of this thread, i sorted all results regarding water and phase change cooling :)

and yes, the error was caused by a too high oc.

you mean you couldnt get the temps to go lower than -35°C because the mach2 didnt get the cpu cooler, or do you mean the cpu crashed when you reached temps below -35°C? evap temps or cpu temps read by the internal diode?

hmmm did you play with the 3500+ on air or phase change steven?
did it respond to vcore? dave said the 3500+ didnt respond to vcore bumps AT ALL and he tried up to 1.6v :confused: maybe its a problem with his board? :confused:

SLaY3r07
03-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Damn, that sux pc ice. Lets just hope it's just your Venice that doesn't like volts.

_Eduard_
03-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Could be that they're now using the "crappy" cores for s939 512kb cpu's, and the good ones for the 1mb cache mobiles (turion) on s754 that have a lower wattage rating (around 35w?). this is however just a theory...

Raul
03-30-2005, 03:33 PM
hi. first I want to say HI :D o/c potencial of Venice is realy big! there is some test os San Diego too?

s7e9h3n
03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
hi. first I want to say HI :D o/c potencial of Venice is realy big! there is some test os San Diego too?
Welcome to XS Raul...If you look at the stickies in this forum and "The Best of AMD" you'll find a peek at the 4200+ San Diego....

saaya
03-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Could be that they're now using the "crappy" cores for s939 512kb cpu's, and the good ones for the 1mb cache mobiles (turion) on s754 that have a lower wattage rating (around 35w?). this is however just a theory...

i dont think so, even average winchester cpus are able to work at the frequencies and voltages of a turion, i dont think that the turion cpus are the best a64 silicon amd can make, i think the best is used for fx chips, then high end a64 chips and opterons and then they test wich of the remaining cpus works good with low volts and make them turions or mid to low end a64s...

hmmm im going to ask amd about this, it shouldnt be a big secret they wont tell us :D

hi raul, welcome to XtremeSystems :toast:

WOLF_OF_DK
03-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Could it be possible that Venice and San diego has some kind of overvoltage protection ?

Ackbar
03-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Oh, and I forgot to say....for those that are wondering if these cpu's scale with voltage: They do scale, and very well if I may add. My 3800+ could take up to ~1.75-1.8V and didn't explode. But upping the Vcore didn't help beyond somewhere in the range of 1.65-1.7. Than again, you never know what a cascade could do with these Venices :)

more than stock vcore barely seems to do anything to this chip

As I said before, you can not just assume that CPUs scale with voltage. My Clawhammer gets to 2.6 with near stock voltage, but it is entirely unachievable to get to 2.7 at ANY voltage with air (XP-120). I also do not believe this is an "overvoltage protection" issue since on the 3500+ Clawhammers this phenomena has been seen on most CPUs. Since the Clawhammer is much older than the Venice, I think this implies that this is just a result of the CPU itself and not a new "feature".

chefnr1
03-30-2005, 11:28 PM
i dont think so, even average winchester cpus are able to work at the frequencies and voltages of a turion, i dont think that the turion cpus are the best a64 silicon amd can make, i think the best is used for fx chips, then high end a64 chips and opterons and then they test wich of the remaining cpus works good with low volts and make them turions or mid to low end a64s...

hmmm im going to ask amd about this, it shouldnt be a big secret they wont tell us :D

hi raul, welcome to XtremeSystems :toast:

Like mine winnie 3000+ i could run on stock and up to 1.8v vcore and when it was going at the best it run 2840mhz, but my 3500+ winnie just like stock and up to 1,6 over that it doesnt happen anything it run as best on water 2870mhz cold water..3500+ did on stock 1.4v 2800mhz right out of the box :)

Jasonhk
03-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Could it be possible that Venice and San diego has some kind of overvoltage protection ?

possible the San Diago somehere got to use was Stable to 2850 Mhz then just dies of doesnt scale well at all to more voltage.

s7e9h3n
03-31-2005, 10:03 AM
As I said before, you can not just assume that CPUs scale with voltage. My Clawhammer gets to 2.6 with near stock voltage, but it is entirely unachievable to get to 2.7 at ANY voltage with air (XP-120). I also do not believe this is an "overvoltage protection" issue since on the 3500+ Clawhammers this phenomena has been seen on most CPUs. Since the Clawhammer is much older than the Venice, I think this implies that this is just a result of the CPU itself and not a new "feature".
Um......I'm not sure where I stated that there was an "overvoltage protection" "feature" on these cpu's. :confused: And, unless your clawhammer is able to get to 2.6 AT default vcore, then it would be considered scaling -albeit minor- if you acheive a higher clock with increased voltage.

Ackbar
03-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Um......I'm not sure where I stated that there was an "overvoltage protection" "feature" on these cpu's. :confused: And, unless your clawhammer is able to get to 2.6 AT default vcore, then it would be considered scaling -albeit minor- if you acheive a higher clock with increased voltage.

Sorry, I wasn't answering you about the "overvoltage" but I quoted you kinda as to show that there are two sides to this story. Sorry for the confusion! :D

I'm able to get 2.6 at ~1.55V (default is 1.5V). So you're right, that 0.05 V helped. But no, nothing after that really did anything. Don't get me wrong, voltage helps, by no means am I able to use anything below 1.55V to get to 2.6 GHz. That's obviously not the point though, the point is that after a certain point, the the voltage to clock curve reaches a point where it is no longer well-behaved (ie. it blows up and becomes infinite for all intents).

saaya
03-31-2005, 10:26 AM
here is a nice peek at the short preview/review oppainter wrote with the 3500+ to get you all excited :D

because what we had not mentioned so far is that venice is faster clock for clock than a winchester ;) :D

Specs:
DFI 939 Ultra
MSI X800XT 520/560
OCZ 3700 2.5-4-4-8 @ 300
All CPUs ran at 300x8 2400MHz

this is an average result!
there was no bad/buggy run :D

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/9610/a3d034nr.jpg

i wont post more results in this thread.
opps review/preview should appear on the front page very soon, dont miss it! :D

agenda2005
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Hehe! SSE3 at work. A promising result.

S0nic
03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
I wonder how a 3500+ clawhammer would do in that graph? worse than winnie?

texuspete00
03-31-2005, 11:57 AM

From anandtech's talk with AMD...

Much as we suspected, all of the power optimizations that went "into" Turion 64 are all transistor level optimizations. Basically, selecting transistors that provide better thermal and power characteristics at the expense of lower switching frequencies.

Top story there today... the talk with AMD. There is more to it than Turion.

LowRun
03-31-2005, 12:42 PM
Hehe, this answers all the "Why should i need a Venice" threads and posts.

terrace215
03-31-2005, 12:44 PM
True, all these folks thinking they are going to overclock Turion to 3GHz + are sadly mistaken. AMD has traded transistor speed for lower power.

The parts to overclock are the Venice/San Diego parts.

terrace215
03-31-2005, 12:46 PM
That's a 1% improvement over Winchester in that benchmark... not exactly thrilling, but better than no improvement at all.

Orthogonal
03-31-2005, 12:50 PM
terrace, I think it was also done on fewer volts too.

s0ck
03-31-2005, 01:18 PM
That's a 1% improvement over Winchester in that benchmark... not exactly thrilling, but better than no improvement at all.

Exactly.
I don't like graphs like that 'zoomed in' they are misleading and at first glance, performance looks to be over 100% increase.

LowRun
03-31-2005, 01:49 PM
I think that what OPP wanted to highlight is the fact that the Venice is spectacularly closing the gap with the FX53.

p00 p0wer
03-31-2005, 01:52 PM
must have venice. it sucks my winnie doesn't like the cold

_Eduard_
03-31-2005, 02:08 PM
In a graphicly limited benchmark.

GT1, which is the only test it will affect, is only worth 7% of the overall 03 score. ;)

just wanted to say that... to measure cpu performance please don't use 3dmark03 or 05, use 01 or pifast etc...

anyway this shows that even with 512kb cache less the venice makes up the speed in some way...

saaya
03-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I wonder how a 3500+ clawhammer would do in that graph? worse than winnie?

:slap: the cpus were all running at the same clockspeed!

From anandtech's talk with AMD...

Top story there today... the talk with AMD. There is more to it than Turion.

yeah yeah, i know, amd told me the same when i talked to them at cebit, but i dont really buy it... i dont think they have an independant line of cpu cores for their turion cpus...

its 3dmark 2003!!!

Exactly.
I don't like graphs like that 'zoomed in' they are misleading and at first glance, performance looks to be over 100% increase. lol....

I think that what OPP wanted to highlight is the fact that the Venice is spectacularly closing the gap with the FX53.

at least one of the guys here got it :P :toast: :D

s0ck
03-31-2005, 03:15 PM
I'd rather see the graph start from zero; is it too much to ask? :rolleyes:

Orthogonal
03-31-2005, 03:28 PM
3Dmark 2003 doesn't interest me as much as 3Dmark2001 or SuperPI.

How does the performance differ in those benchmarks. I'm interested in performance gain with the same clocks and voltages on venice over winchester. 3Dmark2003 always seems to be rather CPU limited.

EDIT: I meant to add also, a 1% improvement is also very promising when run with the same paramaters. What else do you expect from AMD basically respinning the same chips with a few upgrades. 3Dmark03 obviously doesn't support SSE3, so the only thing that can attribute to the gain is the upgraded mem controller and the few misc bug fixes. That to me says a lot.

Opteron96
03-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Damn this venice makes me go :banana:
I sure can use some more CPU power to fill the memory busses

S0nic
03-31-2005, 03:43 PM
:slap: the cpus were all running at the same clockspeed!
I know that, but since the venice is faster than the winnie clock for clock I was wondering where the clawhammer 3500+ would fit in, is it slower than the winnie clock for clock?

Tom Holck
04-01-2005, 03:04 AM
2950mhz at 1.4V is insane

No big deal!

Here you se 3Ghz at 1.3V

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22352

benchstable..

Cascade -125 C

sandybeach
04-01-2005, 03:08 AM
yeah I too have seen 3.2ghz at 1.35v on an fx55 so what we are seeing isnt out of this world ;)

saaya
04-01-2005, 07:42 AM

if you would ask politely we might even do it, but you are demanding something LOL who do you think you are demanding something from opp or me? :stick:

and if you really care so much about seeing a graph starting from zero why dont you just make one then? :stick:
go ahead, you have the numbers...

3Dmark 2003 doesn't interest me as much as 3Dmark2001 or SuperPI.

How does the performance differ in those benchmarks. I'm interested in performance gain with the same clocks and voltages on venice over winchester. 3Dmark2003 always seems to be rather CPU limited.

EDIT: I meant to add also, a 1% improvement is also very promising when run with the same paramaters. What else do you expect from AMD basically respinning the same chips with a few upgrades. 3Dmark03 obviously doesn't support SSE3, so the only thing that can attribute to the gain is the upgraded mem controller and the few misc bug fixes. That to me says a lot.

hmmm sorry, i dont want to spill the beans on opps results. his article will be up later today anyways, so if you have a little more patience you will know :)

I know that, but since the venice is faster than the winnie clock for clock I was wondering where the clawhammer 3500+ would fit in, is it slower than the winnie clock for clock?
you give me a headache! :lol:
a clawhammer is a clawhammer is a clawhammer. ohhh now i get it, could it be you didnt know that an fx53 is also a clawhammer? :D
go look at the charts, and you will see that a venice is almost as fast as a clwahmmer clock for clock even though it onlyhas half the l2 cache. at least in 2003... :D

No big deal!

Here you se 3Ghz at 1.3V

benchstable..

Cascade -125 C
braggart :P :D hehehe j/k

this was with a cascade at -125°C though, the venice was only at -40°C :D
and if amd gets them to work at -125°C im sure we will see similar results... and then again dont forget that this is a mid to low end cpu, while the fx55 costs 4 times as much if not more! :D

Little-Iron
04-01-2005, 08:07 AM
if you would ask politely we might even do it, but you are demanding something LOL who do you think you are demanding something from opp or me? :stick:

and if you really care so much about seeing a graph starting from zero why dont you just make one then? :stick:
go ahead, you have the numbers...

hmmm sorry, i dont want to spill the beans on opps results. his article will be up later today anyways, so if you have a little more patience you will know :)

you give me a headache! :lol:
a clawhammer is a clawhammer is a clawhammer. ohhh now i get it, could it be you didnt know that an fx53 is also a clawhammer? :D
go look at the charts, and you will see that a venice is almost as fast as a clwahmmer clock for clock even though it onlyhas half the l2 cache. at least in 2003... :D

braggart :P :D hehehe j/k

this was with a cascade at -125°C though, the venice was only at -40°C :D
and if amd gets them to work at -125°C im sure we will see similar results... and then again dont forget that this is a mid to low end cpu, while the fx55 costs 4 times as much if not more! :D

Are we harsh today , he did ask ?

chunkylover77
04-01-2005, 08:29 AM

Is that what you call asking?
Edit: Glad to see things worked out unrealneo :toast:

i found nemo
04-01-2005, 08:42 AM
it is asking cuz at the end of his question he asked if it's too much to ask, apperently it is, however i wouldn't wanna take the time to make a graph either, too many numbers

s7e9h3n
04-01-2005, 07:51 PM
No big deal!

Here you se 3Ghz at 1.3V

benchstable..

Cascade -125 C
That's nice @ -125C, but how about @ -25C? :D
http://img63.exs.cx/img63/4923/cpuz30000xe.jpg

Tom Holck
04-01-2005, 11:47 PM
That's nice @ -125C, but how about @ -25C? :D
http://img63.exs.cx/img63/4923/cpuz30000xe.jpg

dono my temp can't go so high :D

Gsus_Freak
04-02-2005, 12:26 AM
IMHO those are both kick butt speeds. Like arguing over a s2000 or an rx8 :)

What is getting my goat now is that the FX can boot under a multi-cascade situation but the a64s are having problems. Quite puzzling. It has to be a BIOS glitch. It makes no since otherwise why a claw hammer and a newcsl core can go under heavy cascade, but the new 90nm stuff can't. Even the pres'hots' can go under cascade and the are SOI and SS. hmmmm. ARGGG. Would AMD even answer us if we asked? Like sayya said, us super overclockers are about .001% of the computer world. Does AMD or Intel really care if a chip doesn't boot when exposed to temps that would kill any living thing it touched? :? I just dont know

s0ck
04-02-2005, 12:48 AM
I didn't mean to be arsey, sorry guys :)

Hugo van Dijk
04-02-2005, 12:53 AM
I,m just reading this thread, and the results look nice on the extreme cooling, but when are you guys going to test them on Air. (or did i missed this somewhere)

saaya
04-02-2005, 04:29 AM
Are we harsh today , he did ask ?
i just cant stand when people demand more in an unfriendly tone instead of beeing thankfull for the hard work others have put into something.

it is asking cuz at the end of his question he asked if it's too much to ask, apperently it is, however i wouldn't wanna take the time to make a graph either, too many numbers

asking would look like this:

can you please make a graph that starts from 0? id really like to see a graph like that :)

he said:

I didn't mean to be arsey, sorry guys :)
ok, sorry for my :stick: ing :D :toast:

I,m just reading this thread, and the results look nice on the extreme cooling, but when are you guys going to test them on Air. (or did i missed this somewhere)
it seems that there wont be any air tests from opp or pc ice... sorry
i dont know why pc ice didnt do them, but opp clearly said "i dont do air :D"
hehe :D, so no venice air results... but the reviews should be out VERY soon and they will have air results :)

Little-Iron
04-02-2005, 05:24 AM
i just cant stand when people demand more in an unfriendly tone instead of beeing thankfull for the hard work others have put into something.

asking would look like this:

he said:

ok, sorry for my :stick: ing :D :toast:

it seems that there wont be any air tests from opp or pc ice... sorry
i dont know why pc ice didnt do them, but opp clearly said "i dont do air :D"
hehe :D, so no venice air results... but the reviews should be out VERY soon and they will have air results :)

We should all take note,some people may required being ask with afew pretty please first.?? Why are U making a big deal out of this ? Yes he could of asked a little nicer> " YOU " need to re-read the post,the man DIDNT
DEMAND anything ,nor was he unfriendly. The problem is on your door step.
I'll not say anymore on this ,not worth it. May you have a good day. :)

saaya
04-02-2005, 03:33 PM
We should all take note,some people may required being ask with afew pretty please first.?? Why are U making a big deal out of this ? Yes he could of asked a little nicer> " YOU " need to re-read the post,the man DIDNT
DEMAND anything ,nor was he unfriendly. The problem is on your door step.
I'll not say anymore on this ,not worth it. May you have a good day. :)

to me his post sounded and still sounds unfriendly and demanding, and how am i making a big deal out of it? he explained he didnt mean to sound unfiriendly and i said i apologize for :stick: ing him.

the problem was that his post could easily be understood as beeing demanding and unfriendly, and i dont think theres a "problem" with me perceiving his post as unfriendly and demanding as im not the only way who understood it that way :)

and again, the only one who is making a big deal out of this is you by bringing it up again after we cleared the misunderstanding and apologized and it was already a thing of the past :P

btw, the AMD Venice Preview from OPP should appear on the front page tonight! (i was too busy to post it yesterday, my bad :slap: )

trance565
04-02-2005, 05:18 PM
it is demanding when someone says, id like to see the graph start from 0, thats a demand, and then when they say is that too much to ask? well, from my personal expierience most ppl say that last part harshly when actually speaking anyways, when is opp's post gonna be up?!?!?!

Cpt Twitchy
04-02-2005, 05:24 PM
btw, the AMD Venice Preview from OPP should appear on the front page tonight! (i was too busy to post it yesterday, my bad )

I can't wait to see the review. As I've told you and Kazoo on aim I think this will be a great addition to XS.

chunkylover77
04-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Got the Venice up and running. Still trying to learn what I am doing. Thanks OPP for getting it to me by the weekend

LowRun
04-02-2005, 07:17 PM
C'mon Saaya, uploading has turned so complicated? :D

MsB
04-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Ever feel like your being toyed with?

trance565
04-02-2005, 10:34 PM
yes, yes i have, in fact, i kno ive been toyed with several times, so i pwnt the person toying with me. and are u gonna get us air results mebbe chunky?

bachus_anonym
04-02-2005, 10:57 PM
OPP's Venice Preview is up on the Front page...

So what do you think, folks ???

Master_G
04-03-2005, 02:47 AM
opp clearly said "i dont do air :D"
LOL, that man is xtreme.

G

saaya
04-03-2005, 09:46 AM
C'mon Saaya, uploading has turned so complicated? :D

its been on the front page already, sorry i didnt post a link here :D

http://www.xtremesystems.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=2

chunky, can you run some sse3 benches? :D
pifast with and without sse3 patch maybe?

winston64
04-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Hey I dispose of $400 at the moment, do you think that would get me a 3800+ venice? because the newcastle is at $373 at newegg or only a 3500+ because of the initial price raise? :stick: im not much of an economist :hitself: :stick:

Little-Iron
04-03-2005, 12:11 PM

A Great Job , Very informative,and many THANKS to OPP"s .... :p:

saaya
04-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey I dispose of $400 at the moment, do you think that would get me a 3800+ venice? because the newcastle is at $373 at newegg or only a 3500+ because of the initial price raise? :stick: im not much of an economist :hitself: :stick:

venice chips will cost the same as winnies atm if not less in a few weeks :)

chunkylover77
04-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Saaya do you have a link to pifast? And the sse3 patch? I will run any benches you guys want. Just know that I am a terrible oc'er.

chunkylover77
04-03-2005, 12:52 PM
OK on patched super pi 16m I got 15m 34s

AMDfan
04-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Hello !
AnyOne know when and where I can order me a 3500+ Venice ? I'm sure appreciated for that !
how-much will it cost an 3500+ Venice ?

EMC2
04-03-2005, 02:39 PM

It's much appreciated and a big thanks to all involved :up: Interesting too ;)

saaya
04-03-2005, 05:50 PM
OK on patched super pi 16m I got 15m 34s

sse3 or sse2 patched? ask kunaak, he knows all about those patches :D

Hello !
AnyOne know when and where I can order me a 3500+ Venice ? I'm sure appreciated for that !
how-much will it cost an 3500+ Venice ?

ive only seen them on 2 shows in switzerland so far... they will cost a lot initially, but the prices should go down to winnie levels or lower soon :)

and yeah, big thx to pc ice and oppainter again for those results! :toast:

chunkylover77
04-03-2005, 05:51 PM
I think it was prescott patched

saaya
04-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I think it was prescott patched

i dont know if thats sse2 or sse3 :D

and i forgot to add! of course BIG thx to steven and chunky!!! :toast:

Dresdenboy
04-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Could someone with a Venice run Prime95 benchmarks and post the results here (from results.txt or as screenie)? I'd like to find out, if AMD did something with SSE2. Together with the memory controller improvements this should be good for several % of increased performance.

saaya
04-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Could someone with a Venice run Prime95 benchmarks and post the results here (from results.txt or as screenie)? I'd like to find out, if AMD did something with SSE2. Together with the memory controller improvements this should be good for several % of increased performance.

hey, welcome to XtremeSystems :eleph:

the venice isnt out yet, only 2 people here have a venice :D
the xbitlabs article is already out, they have a load of interesting results :)
amd didnt speed up sse2... i think thats what you meant right?
amd improved the imc and enhanced the data prefetch logic.
according to xbitlabs they also increased the write combining buffers from 2 to 4
(i thougt that was done in winchester already? :confused: )

and they only mentioned amds stretched silicon now for the first time, but amd has been using it for their 130nm cpus already afaik :confused:

AMDfan
04-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Big day today ! release-time for the monster VENICE ! :YIPPIE: :banana: :toast: But no-one can tell me where I can find a 3500+Venice, :confused: I mean the web-sites, that may have it before anywhere else ? it would be nice if I can order it at soon as possible :slobber: Please, :worship: if some-one can give a link where I can order one of those 3500+Venice, I'll be very-appreciate it ! :eleph: :bounces:

Dresdenboy
04-04-2005, 09:52 AM
hey, welcome to XtremeSystems :eleph:Thanks :p:

the venice isnt out yet, only 2 people here have a venice :D
the xbitlabs article is already out, they have a load of interesting results :)
amd didnt speed up sse2... i think thats what you meant right?
amd improved the imc and enhanced the data prefetch logic.
according to xbitlabs they also increased the write combining buffers from 2 to 4
(i thougt that was done in winchester already? :confused: )

and they only mentioned amds stretched silicon now for the first time, but amd has been using it for their 130nm cpus already afaik :confused:Well, AFAIK the write combining buffers were mentioned together with the other improvements by McGrath already in jan 04.

What I'm looking for is if AMD changed something in the decoders so that they can decode SSE(2) loads in a way, that the 2x64bit access µOps can be executed by two different units in the FPU, not only one as it seems to be the case since first K8 (see
http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=1072&highlight=bottleneck and all the cache benches with 128 bit accesses).

And about strained silicon: DSL is a further improvement. They had simple strained silicon at AMD for 130nm.

s7e9h3n
04-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Saaya do you have a link to pifast? And the sse3 patch? I will run any benches you guys want. Just know that I am a terrible oc'er.
Chunky, PM me when you get a chance. I'll try to answer all the questions you have about the cpu. Also, HEAT?? ;)

SoF
04-04-2005, 01:53 PM
damn i see buying me this holy piece.
seems to do well under sub zero (hope will do ~-50°C) and this is rather interesting. my prometia has to be repaired and so my winchester on air suxx @ +50°C...will see what he does and then look if i get my nc 3500+ back and then this one - good plan -.-

AMDfan
04-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Big day today ! release-time for the monster VENICE ! :YIPPIE: :banana: :toast: But no-one can tell me where I can find a 3500+Venice, :confused: I mean the web-sites, that may have it before anywhere else ? it would be nice if I can order it at soon as possible :slobber: Please, :worship: if some-one can give a link where I can order one of those 3500+Venice, I'll be very-appreciate it ! :eleph: :bounces:

Still NO one can give me the information, when and where to ordering those monsters VENICE ? :confused: :slobber: :(

Orthogonal
04-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately AMDfan, it appears that noone has them :(

REDKEN
04-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Still NO one can give me the information, when and where to ordering those monsters VENICE ? :confused: :slobber: :(Read this (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58000) :)

VulgarHandle
04-04-2005, 07:08 PM
http://www.c627627.com/amd/athlon64

based on this, 3.0ghz and 3.2(san diego) by Q1 of 2006!!!!! u can't tell me the 4200+ San Diego won't do 3.0 stable on air(hopefully even the 4000+)

Eradicator
04-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Wow, awsome results, and I was just getting settled in with my winnie, LOL... Out with the old, in with the new... Great job guys..

Gsus_Freak
04-04-2005, 08:29 PM
xbitlabs has a preview of the venice core as well. They show a break down of the +3800 and the +3500 for all the differnt cores; clawhammer, newcsl, winnys, and veince. I know someone was asking about a comarison of the differnt cores and there you have it...less than a 1% differnce. Like the thermal specs too. For a non-OCed chip, we are talking about some low wattge. In fact, thinking of building a server box on the venice, or sould I get a hyper threaded p4 (sacrelig I know, but every processor has its streghs and weeknesses).

Edit...wow never mind...the venice is kicking the newcsl's butt....go venice

Gsus_Freak
04-04-2005, 11:54 PM
ok guys. I have been reading up on the termal diode for the FX chip. There is a different programable value to control the boot of the processor. It seems that you can only program this at the factory. What that means for us is that the cold temp bug is not a bug at all, it is a direct result of factory programing. However, all is not lost. After looking at the power diagram, the diode has a negitave logic design. In other words, power when there is a problem and no power when when everything is fine. This means that a value of the termal temp waring boot diode has to be a vaule of 0, X, or Z to enable boot up. The thermal variunce has to be that of 100moh. What that means is if we can impeed the thermal probe, or just disconected it (remove the pin), that means no more cold start but.

I will also look into reprograming the Diode. This will be hard since that has to be a trade secret and AMD will not relece such sensitve information cause haxers could do VERY bad things if they had that information (like cause your computer never to boot). On the other had, all the information I need is in the pin plot they have availible online. However, it will take me actualy getting a venice and a FX chip (or a winny) to actualy test my results. That wont be happaning any time soon. I will locate the Pin shortly, so you you want to impeed the pin I find and find out, that would be fun, but i warn you, I am not at fault if you screw it up and take out a ground or power pin.

Table 29. Thermal Diode Specifications
Symbol Parameter Units Min Typ Max Notes
I Sourcing Currents µA 5 500 1
TOffset Temperature Offset °C 0 52 2, 3, 4, 5

1. The sourcing current should always be used in forward bias.
2. The temperature offset is used to normalize the thermal diode measurement to reflect case temperature at the worst
case conditions for a part.
3. This diode offset supports temperature sensors using two sourcing currents only. Single sourcing current
implementations are not supported by AMD.
4. The temperature offset is unique for each processor and is programmed at the factory. The diode offset value is found
in the Thermtrip Status Register described in the BIOS and Kernel Developer’s Guide for the AMD Athlon™ 64 and
AMD Opteron™ Processors, order# 26094.
5. TOffset should be subtracted from the temperature sensor reading. If the temperature sensor has an ideality factor
different from 1.008, a small correction to this offset is required. Contact your temperature sensor vendor to determine
if additional correction is required.

Gsus_Freak
04-05-2005, 01:26 AM
btw this is what I am looking into

3.6 Thermal Diode
The processor provides an on-die thermal diode with anode and cathode brought out to processor
pins. This diode can be read by an external temperature sensor to determine the processor’s
temperature. Refer to the AMD Athlon™ 64 939 Motherboard Design Guide, order# 30474, for
details on connecting the thermal diode.
3.7 THERMTRIP_L
The processor provides a hardware-enforced thermal protection mechanism. When the processor’s
die temperature exceeds a specified temperature, the processor is designed to stop its internal clocks
and assert the THERMTRIP_L output.
THERMTRIP_L assertion is only valid when PWROK is asserted and RESET_L is deasserted.
THERMTRIP_L assertion indicates the processor die temperature has exceeded normal operating
parameters. PWROK must be deasserted in response to a THERMTRIP_L assertion to enable proper
processor operation.
Once asserted THERMTRIP_L remains asserted until RESET_L is asserted.
If the processor’s die temperature still exceeds the thermal trip point when RESET_L is deasserted,
THERMTRIP_L will immediately be reasserted and the processor’s internal clocks stop.

Gsus_Freak
04-05-2005, 01:43 AM
so in other words. If silly MB manufatues use ABS(thermal probe) and see -90C as 90C then they send thermtrip_L signal so stop the clock (precived at a lock up). So we have to stop the MB from sending this input when a large negitive temp is sent.

WOLF_OF_DK
04-05-2005, 03:09 AM
so in other words. If silly MB manufatues use ABS(thermal probe) and see -90C as 90C then they send thermtrip_L signal so stop the clock (precived at a lock up). So we have to stop the MB from sending this input when a large negitive temp is sent.

Which mean a bios mod could do it or what ?

saaya
04-05-2005, 04:17 AM
http://www.c627627.com/amd/athlon64

based on this, 3.0ghz and 3.2(san diego) by Q1 of 2006!!!!! u can't tell me the 4200+ San Diego won't do 3.0 stable on air(hopefully even the 4000+)

nooo not again :shrug:

why do üpeople keep using that site? i hope it finally dies off... those roadmaps are based on pure speculations and have been totally off over the last years...
they claimed amd would go for an fsb of 250mhz (or was it 266mhz?) in early 2004 or something...

please ignore that site! :D

Gsus_Freak there are two low temp bugs, the one related to the temp probe reading has ben fixed by some mobo makers already afaik (see kevins fx55 shows a temp of 3xx°C reading the temp probe) the OTHER low temp bug however is related to the imc afaik and the drive strength of the memory wich increases the lower the temp goes. :)

Gsus_Freak
04-05-2005, 10:35 AM
darn, thought i was onto something. O well, not many of us own a casscade anyway :) none the less a multi casscade setup (you guys got some cash flowing man). Not farmilier with the acronim IMC related to proccesor interface. I have heard of it refered to as integral multiplexor channel for IO and such (like a decade ago on some motrola chips), but I dont think that is what you are talking about is it? Anyway, nice score anyway, keep up the good work.

Gsus_Freak
04-05-2005, 03:13 PM
hahahahah i feel like a dope now. duhhhhh brain fart hahahah :)

Onepagebook
04-05-2005, 05:02 PM
the newest news:

ICE got new world record already:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=10441

IS that my blue-black box cascade?:D

Hallowed
04-05-2005, 05:22 PM
'Cold bug' my ass. Fantastic clocks Dave! :toast:

Lets see it put some of that power to the ground now, so to speak. :)

matt9669
04-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Then the secret is out!

For the record, apparently the 3800+ isn't bothered by the cold, while the 3500+ would boot at -40C but not -90C, doesn't seem to be related to the BIOS revision either :confused:

Also, the ~3.85GHz screenie is not benchable at present.

sandybeach
04-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Whats 3.8ghz tho if we cant run 3d/2d apps at over 3.6ghz?

Come on Ice lets see some real world benches not that screen shot sh*t..

If you have it running enough to take that CPU-z and verifiy it you have enough time to run a 2d 1m or pifast benchmark..

enough of this Sreenshot crap!!!!

Xtreme My ass!! Act like the Name!! ;)

No offense as others will see my point here!!

xgman
04-05-2005, 05:30 PM
screenshot or whatever, it is still rather impressive and hopefully a sign of what is to come on the 09 process.

matt9669
04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Whoa, chill there - working with a three stage cascade and a brand new chip takes time . . . results will be posted as they come in.

Onepagebook
04-05-2005, 05:33 PM
just finish phone with Dave, he said he will get his effort in 4g..
this 3800+ loves cold and volt.:D

matt9669
04-05-2005, 05:35 PM
just finish phone with Dave, he said he will get his effort in 4g..
this 3800+ loves cold and volt.:DYep, didn't think I should say anything (guys, please DON'T flood PC ICE with PM's, questions etc.) but saaya should be starting a new thread soon, the race to 4GHz with the 3800+ Venice is on! :party3:

Chr0n1c
04-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Cool ss.

EMC2
04-05-2005, 09:41 PM

Just an FYI Gsus... the thermtrip_L signal is an output from the CPU, not an input. Other tidbit, it's function can be disabled.

Peace bro :D

Gsus_Freak
04-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Just an FYI Gsus... the thermtrip_L signal is an output from the CPU, not an input. Other tidbit, it's function can be disabled.

Peace bro :D

ya your right. The output of thermtrip_L is a signal when 125C is reached. And when reset and thermtrip are active high signals then CPU goes into a halt state untill thermtrip is active low. Reset has to go to active low signal as well but gets reset by powc(or something like that, it checks Vdim and VDD and HTT links to make sure everything is ok).

ZeroHero
04-06-2005, 07:49 AM
that's great, 3.86ghz :D what vcore whas it done on?
Then the venice will be really good for xtreme cooling too at least if many chips is like this.
It would be cool if the venice would do be the first AMD to take 4ghz. :banana:

when we gonna see some benches on high speed?

Jack
04-06-2005, 08:07 AM
the newest news:

ICE got new world record already:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=10441

IS that my blue-black box cascade?:D
insane man :D
respect to pc_ice :toast:

AMDfan
04-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Still No new from VENICE ? ? ?

mcnbns
04-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Guys, give PC Ice a break. He'll post results when he has them. Not everyone can spend their entire life in front of a computer.

Gsus_Freak
04-06-2005, 11:29 AM
it is crazy that the k8 is now getting as fast as net burt. With a shorter pipe and low latency ram, though, the k8 is a sure fire winner. I would like to see how fast that 3.8 can crank out number. Maybe it will be my new server box? Not gonna have 3.8 OP for awhile I bet. Only thing is you can't really multi-thread with a single venice. With the extra HTT interface disabled, it is imposible to dual chip them as well....sigh. Has anyone ever tryed to OC an OP? I wounder how good that would go. Basicly the same as an FX i would hope. Only thing I fear is that the Mem controler might not be as strong for OC'ing as the rest.

Anyway though, I envy you guys getting those chips so high. Never though I would see a .90nm k8 would do that, was thinking that the 45.nm stuff would. Anyway, hope to see some benchmarks soon enough. Hope your back is feeling better ice. Good luck hunting down the Low temp bug. It has been sugjested to me that by my Dad (he is an Electricl enginner) to have the chip running at a stable temp (in this case -40c) and gradualy lowering the temp. He said that on some of his old planes, they wouldn't be able to turn on the computer till it heated up. Electricity doesn't flow as well in cold, so maybe heating up the core and then droping the temps down will be a way to by pass this. Just a sugjestion, I don't even know if you have much control over your cascade. But if you do, you might want to try it out (though you might of already since you know around -90c it stop working).

mcnbns
04-06-2005, 11:37 AM
People have overclocked Opterons before. Do a quick search and you'll see some results. The main problem is that most boards require registered/ECC RAM, and that stuff usually comes with higher latencies than regular stuff.

Orthogonal
04-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Electricity doesn't flow as well in cold, so maybe heating up the core and then droping the temps down will be a way to by pass this.
Actually, the colder it is the better electricity moves because there is less resistance. The reason the cold can sometimes have negative effects is because the electricity moves TOO well, and it can cause raise conditions and have signals get to places faster than they were designed too. :eek:

sandybeach
04-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Remember this Guys you can tune a cascade just like stacking pelts.

So the base temp is low as hell but can't remove any real heat..

a 3.8ghz 90nm cpu at 1.75v =200w+ load easy sure, but Idle for a 2sec SShot maybe, maybe 100w 50% of the load wattage.

Also a -130c 3 stages oil will clog in seconds and drop evap temps as the load is put on the evap thus casuing the 3rd stage to fail..

So this isn't just a suicide SreenShot Its something thats just way out of stable lanes.

A 1m at 3.6ghz is 100x's as impressive..

Thats what makes Opp so great as when you see his max cpu clocks they are displayed in his result brower on the 3dmark orb.. Unreal Cpu clocks/Unreal Gpu clocks all done in sync as a Team always..

Now don't try to say Im flaming him as a person, as he's a great, great Cooling,overclocking, and tweaker we just really need to end these SreenShots that the max benchable speed is hundreds of MHZ less in real world app's..

There Is just no point..

Im happy he showed the world there is no Cold Bug as for that I praise him, but for the SShots "yes I will keep mentioning these" please put an end to it.. Its pointless. :)

ingentingmendeg
04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
:eek2: holy :banana::banana::banana::banana:!

EDIT: please dont post huge complex posts like that :D thx
-saaya

s7e9h3n
04-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Remember this Guys you can tune a cascade just like stacking pelts.

So the base temp is low as hell but can't remove any real heat..

a 3.8ghz 90nm cpu at 1.75v =200w+ load easy sure, but Idle for a 2sec SShot maybe, maybe 100w 50% of the load wattage.

Also a -130c 3 stages oil will clog in seconds and drop evap temps as the load is put on the evap thus casuing the 3rd stage to fail..

So this isn't just a suicide SreenShot Its something thats just way out of stable lanes.

A 1m at 3.6ghz is 100x's as impressive..

Thats what makes Opp so great as when you see his max cpu clocks they are displayed in his result brower on the 3dmark orb.. Unreal Cpu clocks/Unreal Gpu clocks all done in sync as a Team always..

Now don't try to say Im flaming him as a person, as he's a great, great Cooling,overclocking, and tweaker we just really need to end these SreenShots that the max benchable speed is hundreds of MHZ less in real world app's..

There Is just no point..

Im happy he showed the world there is no Cold Bug as for that I praise him, but for the SShots "yes I will keep mentioning these" please put an end to it.. Its pointless. :)
Don't be so quick to judge, you haven't seen anything yet ;)

dsumanik
04-06-2005, 06:30 PM
hey all, im new around here...i have just made the switch from intel to amd and purchased a new system....BUT WAS COMPLETELY UNAWARE OF THE 4 DIMM ISSUE AMD CPUS HAVE. What an idiot.

i PURCHASED A DFI SLI DR MOBO WITH 4X512 OCZPC4000 VX.

I havent purchased a cpu yet thank god cuz i didnt know what i wanted.

Did i just waste my money OR can the venice core save me? Will it oc with 4 dimms, or should i try and return the memory?

Where can i get a venice 3500 or 3800+? I live in canada.

Im not a noob but this post sure sounds like I am , haha.

s7e9h3n
04-06-2005, 06:32 PM
hey all, im new around here...i have just made the switch from intel to amd and purchased a new system....BUT WAS COMPLETELY UNAWARE OF THE 4 DIMM ISSUE AMD CPUS HAVE. What an idiot.

Did i just waste my money OR can the venice core save me? Will it oc with 4 dimms, or should i try and return the memory?

You will be able to use 4x512, but only at 2t

mcnbns
04-06-2005, 06:35 PM

NCIX.com is a good place to pre-order Venice.

Also, I thought it was a BIOS issue that 4x512MB can't be run at 1T with Venice yet. The CPU's mem controller is capable, but mobos aren't up to par. Wait for DFI to release a BIOS update before getting too upset.

AMDfan
04-06-2005, 07:09 PM
:( No VENICE yet ? :( :slobber:

trakslacker
04-06-2005, 07:10 PM
^ no. You'll know when it hits.

bugeyes
04-06-2005, 07:17 PM
dsumanik ...
Getting 4x double banked dimms running beyond 200MHz is going to be tricky even for Venice, to ask if your VX will be compatable with a centain mother board and with an unavailable cpu is beyond prediction.

dsumanik
04-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Well should i just return 1 gig of the memory then?

I guess i could always buy it later once we find out whats going on with the 4 dimm situation?

Its too bad i cant get my hands on a venice...id be willing to be a test mule and find out once and for all. I am sure there has to be some others out there who want this exact config im running....

dsumanik
04-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Looks like i found the answer for myself:

From xbitlabs review (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-venice_3.html):

"Athlon 64 processors based on Venice can work with four single-side DDR400 SDRAM modules without any limitations, and if there are double-side DDR400 SDRAM DIMMs installed, they can work at 400MHz with 2T timing."

:banana::banana::banana::banana:, looks like im going to be using 1 gig. Pc4000 VX is double sided im pretty sure.

bugeyes
04-06-2005, 09:31 PM
My point is don't assume compatibility.... If you can't get 2 gigs of VX ram to work at your desired frequency/latency.... then sell the spare gig ;)
You just can't predict configuration compatibility with new hardware, wait for the early adopters to finish their beta testing.

chunkylover77
04-06-2005, 09:44 PM
dsumanki I have a great idea. Send me those sticks of ram and I can test if it works for ya. I'll send em back I promise.

dsumanik
04-06-2005, 10:08 PM
My point is don't assume compatibility.... If you can't get 2 gigs of VX ram to work at your desired frequency/latency.... then sell the spare gig ;)
You just can't predict configuration compatibility with new hardware, wait for the early adopters to finish their beta testing.

Yeah, but the problem is that im a web designer, and my current intel system just died on me...

i need a workstation up and running asap, every day is costing me money.so im in a hurry and unfortuntely at a hardware transition phase in the amd universe and i have money but no clue how to spend it. Im not worthy....

i used to have a
2.6@3.6 ghz 478
ic7 max3...which im sure is the culprit
gig corsair pro pc4000

i crappin my drawers cuz i had a bunch of recent work on a raid 0 array that i hope i can recover on the dfi.

i dont know if i should sell or hang on to the pc4000 I bet it overclocks nice at higher voltage...

on a side note, i have a "vtt fix" chip for an ic7 max3 i never got around to installing if anyone needs one out there. It offsets the improper vtt tracking above 2.8vdimm.

anyone who wants to have my ram ill trade for another evga 6800gt so im sli capable.

tee hee

oh ya hey guys no swearing on these forums i got in trouble already.....

Jack
04-06-2005, 10:15 PM
the dutch guy a.p. versteeg has a San Diego that does 3300MHz at 1.45V,
cooled by a Vapochill LS.

Looks good to me :D

linkie (http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/23137965#23137965)

s0ck
04-07-2005, 01:12 AM
the dutch guy a.p. versteeg has a San Diego that does 3300MHz at 1.45V,
cooled by a Vapochill LS.

Looks good to me :D

linkie (http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/23137965#23137965)
Nice... why is everyone hanging around 1.4v~ though, aren't they scaling with volts?

mcnbns
04-07-2005, 03:13 AM
why is everyone hanging around 1.4v~ though, aren't they scaling with volts?
Why don't some Pentium 4s like volts? It doesn't really matter, because they scale pretty well at low voltage, just like Venice seems to be doing.

Wayway
04-07-2005, 07:38 AM
nice overclocks do u think the fx-55 will still be good enough until the fx-57 comes out and will it be worth the upgrade too.

s7e9h3n
04-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Looks like i found the answer for myself:

From xbitlabs review (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-venice_3.html):

"Athlon 64 processors based on Venice can work with four single-side DDR400 SDRAM modules without any limitations, and if there are double-side DDR400 SDRAM DIMMs installed, they can work at 400MHz with 2T timing."

:banana::banana::banana::banana:, looks like im going to be using 1 gig. Pc4000 VX is double sided im pretty sure.
Ummm, didn't I just say this?? :)

mcnbns
04-07-2005, 12:42 PM
do u think the fx-55 will still be good enough until the fx-57 comes out and will it be worth the upgrade
I would say tentatively, yes, assuming you have to have the top-of-the-line CPU and you have the money.

Right now we're all pulling these answers out of our behinds, because we haven't seen any FX-57 results.

terrace215
04-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Ummm, didn't I just say this?? :)

No, you said 4 DIMMs means 2T, but that's not the case if the DIMMs are single-sided. :)

a.p.versteeg
04-07-2005, 02:06 PM
This is my :banana: SanDiego 4000+ on almost stock voltage :D 3300MHz and still plenty of room to play, tomorrow I will try to go as high as possible with more Vcore and other memory.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/a.p.versteeg/3300lowVcorekl.JPG (http://home.wanadoo.nl/a.p.versteeg/3300lowVcore.JPG)

xavicl
04-07-2005, 02:48 PM
omg impressive, how many cost? and where do you bought it?

a.p.versteeg
04-07-2005, 02:52 PM
omg impressive, how many cost? and where do you bought it?
cost? nothing> direct from AMD :D

winston64
04-07-2005, 02:53 PM
hmmm, how come the CPU-Z recognizes San Diego and not Venice :stick:

By the way what cooling are u using there :confused:

xavicl
04-07-2005, 02:56 PM
cost? nothing> direct from AMD :D
waww.... and cooling? MachII? i wanna see results on air :(

Cpt Twitchy
04-07-2005, 02:59 PM

It says San Diego because in has 1024kb of L2 cache which makes it a San Diego while a Venice only was 512kb of L2 cache

On cooling I'm guessing he is using his Mach 2 which is in his sig.

chunkylover77
04-07-2005, 03:01 PM

Cpuz recognizes Venice

[XC] leviathan18
04-07-2005, 06:29 PM
why amd dont send me an fx57 ?????

winston64
04-07-2005, 06:45 PM
why amd dont send me an fx57 ?????

for the same reason that they dont send you two FX-57s :slap:

:rofl:

a.p.versteeg
04-07-2005, 10:37 PM
It says San Diego because in has 1024kb of L2 cache which makes it a San Diego while a Venice only was 512kb of L2 cache

On cooling I'm guessing he is using his Mach 2 which is in his sig.

nope, a Vapochill LS ;)

krille
04-07-2005, 10:43 PM
How does San Diego compare to Clawhammer (clock for clock/ipc wise)?

Newcastle -> Venice was a very big increase (where the biggest was the move to Winchester and 90nm), so following the same logic, shouldn't the new San Diego core show at least a few percent performance increase vs a Clawhammer (both clocked the same of course)?

AMDfan
04-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Thoses Venices don't want to hit the streets or what ? :confused: :slobber:
still can't find them nowhere :(

agenda2005
04-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Thoses Venices don't want to hit the streets or what ? :confused: :slobber:
still can't find them nowhere :(

AMD FAN,
I can see your eagerness to lay your hand on Venice. Check this thread and ask the guy where is the local retail that have it in stock. http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=804819&posted=1#post804819

AMDfan
04-08-2005, 06:17 PM
AMD FAN,
I can see your eagerness to lay your hand on Venice. Check this thread and ask the guy where is the local retail that have it in stock. http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=804819&posted=1#post804819

Thank you for your kindness, I have asked the guy for his local store address or phone number, but I din't get any reponse yet :( I want it and I want it now :mad: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :banana: :banana:

Always
04-09-2005, 05:01 AM
I want it too, I'm waiting for Venice to switch to s939 pci-e.

agenda2005
04-09-2005, 05:29 AM
Thank you for your kindness, I have asked the guy for his local store address or phone number, but I din't get any reponse yet :( I want it and I want it now :mad: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :banana: :banana:

Relax and be careful. Don't go and send money to any phony place claiming to have venice. Be patient and I beleive the CPU will be everywhere by April 21st during AMD launch of Dual Core.

AMDfan
04-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Relax and be careful. Don't go and send money to any phony place claiming to have venice. Be patient and I beleive the CPU will be everywhere by April 21st during AMD launch of Dual Core.

Thanks ! I will keep it in mine ! :)

saaya
04-14-2005, 03:37 AM
How does San Diego compare to Clawhammer (clock for clock/ipc wise)?

should be faster, like 3% on average, and maybe up to 10% faster in sse3 apps at the same clockspeed :slobber:

kamaleon
04-14-2005, 09:08 AM
dualcores are launched this month also?? lots of new cpus to choose from.... if only i had the $$ got to settle for a 3000+ or 3200+ venice.

edit: by the way in sor of new... been readign for a while and just did my first post... nice site, lots of info. :clap:

J-Pak
04-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Oh god the Venice comes in and just blows away the winnie :D

ZhaoYun
04-22-2005, 08:11 PM
I definitely want one. :slobber:

Pivo504
04-28-2005, 11:54 AM
mmmm me 2

Cranox
04-28-2005, 01:39 PM
:D

http://www.cranox.com/3800Venice/242x12=2906-1360v-Pi-29sec-65.jpg

groovetek
07-17-2005, 02:49 PM
hi guys - so what is the final word on cold bug for venice? would an R507 modded prommy definiltey cause the cold bug? if so, is there anything I can do to stop temperatures going THAT low?