PDA

View Full Version : Ticking/squeaking FETs?

reject
03-25-2005, 01:35 AM
when the dfi nf3 came out people were saying their mosfets were squeaking. today i found out that mine are too. when i was using a case it sounded like my hard drives ticking or something, but now i realised its the mosfets. like a squeaking tick. why does this happen and can i stop it? its not annoying unless i listen for it.

persivore
03-25-2005, 02:36 AM
The noise is probably coming from the inductors (small coils of wire wound around a black ferrite ring). They produce noise because current is switched through them at high frequency, which causes their magnetic feild to change and they vibrate slightly causing the noise.
To stop the noise, try touching each inductor with an insulated object to stop it from vibrating. Once you find the problem inductor(s) put some sort of glue on it to stop it vibrating (use glue which can withstand lots of heat and won't obstuct the airflow over the inductor) .

reject
03-25-2005, 07:30 PM
ok thanks i see. the chokes on my other boards have never done this
i tried stopping the vibrations but i can only find one which makes the sound quieter.
would hot glue be good or would some cheap silicon thermal paste work (removeable for rma)

persivore
03-26-2005, 04:03 AM
silicon thermal paste would probably work better than hot glue, but just make sure it doesn't contain any metal.

Keyser Soze
03-26-2005, 08:16 AM
There are a special thermaly-conductive pads which are used for colling the mosfets without conducting electricity. They are sort of rubber like. I think they are made from sillicon.

U should get them in every local radio shack. That pads + heatshink should do the trick and dump those vibrations. + U get to cool mosfets.

P.S.: English is not my native language. ;)

reject
03-27-2005, 04:13 AM
thats ok man, we were talking about the chokes