PDA

View Full Version : Proper Mod Solder?

Nubius
03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
I know absolutely nothing about particular solders. When it comes to modding, voltage mods, things like that, which solder is the most preferred and safest solder on PCB's and otherwise computer components. My dads solder I noticed is Acid Core, so I doubt that I'd want that, and then it says 60/40 which I don't even know what that means :stick: . Thanks for any info you can provide :D

persivore
03-25-2005, 02:56 AM
The 60/40 means that the solder contains 60% tin and 40% lead. The acid core solder might be ok, but the acidic flux could cause damage to the board over a long period of time (though if you clean any unburnt flux off the board it should be ok.)
I've found that 60/40 solder with a rosin core flux works well for volt mods.

Nubius
03-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Cool! Thanks for the info :D

Tibu
03-27-2005, 02:14 PM
So the one they sell at Radioshack is crap I guess...

Lando95
03-27-2005, 02:17 PM
So the one they sell at Radioshack is crap I guess...

My local RadioShack has rosin core silver bearing solder. I picked up some yesterday actually, it is 62/36/2, and .022'' diameter. It worked flawlessly.

Nubius
03-27-2005, 02:29 PM
62/36/2, Aww! more numbers!

Is that like....tin/lead/silver or something?

So the one they sell at Radioshack is crap I guess... Hope not cause thats where I planned on picking some up :p:

Tibu
03-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Hmmm... I gotta check more closely then. Last one I got seemed to be crapish.

Malves
03-27-2005, 02:38 PM
This (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F001&product%5Fid=64%2D017) is the one I always used.

Guys, vmod is nothing complicated or hard to do. Keep it simple. Go for basic stuff. If you start bothering with too many details, you'll just make it hard for you. A 15-30w iron, tip tinner, solder and a wet sponge is all you need. Other tools should be just to help you and make your life easier.;)

Lando95
03-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Aww! more numbers!

Is that like....tin/lead/silver or something?

LOL, I don't know to be totally honest with you. My dad just told me to use rosin core for electronics, and it worked great, so I am sticking with it. :D

Nubius
03-27-2005, 02:46 PM
LOL, I don't know to be totally honest with you. My dad just told me to use rosin core for electronics, and it worked great, so I am sticking with it. lol yeah, my dad has 'Acid Core' so I knew that wouldn't be good to use, that's why I started this thread.

Also in another thread someone linked me this:

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Soldering_Guide_1.html

Soldering info! :D Although I don't know if I fully understand how they are doing it.

Guys, vmod is nothing complicated or hard to do. Keep it simple. Go for basic stuff. lol believe me I want it simple as can be. That site I linked says basically what you said. 25w iron, tip tinner, wet sponge, and things like 'Helping hands' is just to make life easier, but they even suggested the same diameter solder! Thing is I've never really soldered anything before. I have, but not to tiny ass resistors on a motherboard or graphics card.

A guy gave me this image:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26865

to do a volt mod, seems like that spot would be easy enough to solder to.

But on VR-Zone they have this volt mod for that card:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1912&s=1

They are showing the resistor, which I guess that first image I linked, is the solder spot on the back of the resistor or something, so I'm not sure which would be the safest to solder too, but I highly doubt I can solder a leg of a variable resistor to each side of that tiny resistor on the board safely.

I just don't know how you guys can make those tiny little solder spots so cleanly.

EDIT: At radioshack there's a 40w pencil iron for $8.39 or a 25w for $8.19 would it be worth it to spend the whole extra .20 cents and get a 40w, or is there some 'potential risk' in using something with more heat or anything like that...or simply just not needed kind of deal?

Malves
03-27-2005, 02:54 PM
lol That site I linked says basically what you said. 25w iron, tip tinner, wet sponge, and things like 'Helping hands' is just to make life easier, but they even suggested the same diameter solder! Thing is I've never really soldered anything before.

Well, I wrote that guide.:D Not the best write I am, but I guess it's good enough. :)

Get the 25w iron. Since you are a beginner (no offense, plz), you take the risk of frying/melting/burning something with 40w.

Tibu
03-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Which pencil iron you talking about? I need something like that. Like a TINY soldering iron.

Malves
03-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Nubius, one more thing, bro. Practice, practice and practice again. Get an old board and practice. That's the only way you'll get there...practicing!

Did I say practice, practice and practice again? Good!:D

Nubius
03-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Well, I wrote that guide. Not the best write I am, but I guess it's good enough. Whoa! lol....shoulda looked at 'Author: Malves' and I woulda known haha, hell it was probably you then that sent it to me I believe hehe.

Since you are a beginner (no offense, plz), Dude no way I'd take offense, I blatently say I'm a beginner. Thats good info to know though

you take the risk of frying/melting/burning something with 40w.
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I suppose I could pay $10 and get that dual wattage...15-30w like I believe the one in your guide, but hell 25w should be perfect.

Which pencil iron you talking about? I need something like that. Like a TINY soldering iron.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F003&product%5Fid=64%2D2070

:toast:

Nubius
03-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Nubius, one more thing, bro. Practice, practice and practice again. Get an old board and practice. That's the only way you'll get there.

Did I say practice, practice and practice again? Good! Will do ;) Don't have any old mobos to practice on, but I do have little USB ports on PCB boards for adding extra ports and whatnot with resistors and crap I can try and fry on :D

Malves
03-27-2005, 03:03 PM
I suppose I could pay $10 and get that dual wattage...15-30w like I believe the one in your guide, but hell 25w should be perfect.

To tell you the truth, I never switched to 15w. Just when I knew I was gonna leave it on the holder for a while, until I get the wires and trimmer preped.

Tibu
03-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Hey I just remembered this thing that I saw on a LOT of late night infomercials on TV:

COLD HEAT (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F003&product%5Fid=64%2D2102)

Would that thing be any good?

Nubius
03-27-2005, 03:16 PM
lol they have that cold heat at radioshack actually too.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F003&product%5Fid=64%2D2102

EDIT: Derrrr, just saw that the link you put for it WAS the radioshack one hehe :brick: :stick:

Personally I don't think it's worth it. Save $12 and get the 25w pencil iron. Everything I've read about that thing says it's really dinky. Says it works for small thin solder for electronics though so it MIGHT be good for volt mods...or so you'd think, but EHHH I still say it's not worth it

To tell you the truth, I never switched to 15w. Just when I knew I was gonna leave it on the holder for a while, until I get the wires and trimmer preped. Aright cool deal. I think then, whenever I get to radio shack, assuming I ever do feel like I want to try it lol, I'll just get the 25w...thanks for all your info! :toast:

Malves
03-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Don't know about that cold heat thing. It looks a little cumbersome for vmods.

cetoole
03-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey I just remembered this thing that I saw on a LOT of late night infomercials on TV:

COLD HEAT (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F003&product%5Fid=64%2D2102)

No, pretty sure that will cause damage to your hardware, I believe it creates an electrical current between the two parts of the tip, which probably is not good for your mobo.

Lando95
03-28-2005, 02:14 AM
Hey Nubius: I am a beginner when it comes to soldering also. I just finished my first vmod (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57130), which was a success by the way, and it was very easy. A little tip that really helped me out: When it came time to solder the wires to the mobo resistors, first tin the wires themselves. Then I tinned the clean tip of the soldering iron. Then I put a little drop of solder on the tip of the iron (it will stay there). Then with one hand I held the wire in place on the resistor, then just lightly touched the tip of the iron(with the bead of solder still on it) to the mobo. I just barely touched it, long enough for the solder to stick and that's it. Done. Simple as that. It just takes a very steady hand. I wish you the best of luck!

Nubius
03-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Lando - Cool man! I've read about tinning the tip and whatnot, and saw a case of tip tinner, but honestly I'm still kind of lost as to what the stuff looks like, how it works, and goes on the stuff and whatnot...guess I'll have to wait until I can actually buy my soldering equipment. Steady hands is something I don't necessarily have lol. Fried my first NF7 board trying to do a vtt mod. Damn multimeter tip connected two mosfet legs and ZZZZZZZZZAP!

Your soldering job looks nice though dude! I hope if I try it I can make it as clean. Can't believe you could get it on that IC's leg. Nice job

Lando95
03-28-2005, 02:42 AM
Lando - Cool man! I've read about tinning the tip and whatnot, and saw a case of tip tinner, but honestly I'm still kind of lost as to what the stuff looks like, how it works, and goes on the stuff and whatnot...guess I'll have to wait until I can actually buy my soldering equipment. Steady hands is something I don't necessarily have lol. Fried my first NF7 board trying to do a vtt mod. Damn multimeter tip connected two mosfet legs and ZZZZZZZZZAP!

Your soldering job looks nice though dude! I hope if I try it I can make it as clean. Can't believe you could get it on that IC's leg. Nice job

Thank you!!! :D Yeah, I don't have steady hands either, but I just went for it. I don't use tip tinner, I just use solder. Get you iron nice and hot, then clean it with a wet sponge. Let it get nice and hot again, then just put a little bit of solder on the tip, and roll it around. That will "tin" the tip and make it easier to solder. I also did a few "dry runs" with the soldering iron turned off. That way I was able to find out the best angle to put the iron without interfering with any other components. Soldering the ic leg was pretty easy, as it's the last one, but the little resistor on the mobo was more difficult. I wish you the best of luck! :)

Malves
03-28-2005, 05:50 AM
Tip tinner is a hard compound. It will melt when you touch it with the iron, tinning it. It's easy and quick. You can use solder to tin the iron's tip. But tip tinner is more eficient in doing that. Also, another advantage in using a tip tinner, is that it helps keep the tip clean. I used to dip the tip in it right after soldering, then rub the iron on the wet sponge and...BAM!...instant clean tip!;):D

You don't need to leave a drop of solder on the iron's tip and I actualy don't recommend it. Even thou it stays there, there's always the risk of it falling down on your hardware and tapering things that you don't want to.

Lando95
03-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I guess you are right about the drop of solder on the tip. I thought about that, but when I put the little drop of solder on the tip, I couldnt even shake it off. It pretty much stayed in place until I touched it to the soldering point. As I am a beginner, it was the easiest way for me.

Thanks for the tips Malves. :) :toast:

hansbroken
04-24-2005, 12:53 AM
Wow! this was just what I was looking for on this subject ... Thanks!! You guys really know your stuff :cool:

Luckily I have two old MB's to practice on before going 'Live'! :D

Actually, I think the biggest problem I am having right now is I borrowed my Bro-in-law’s soldering iron. And the tip seems to be rather rough / oxidized. So maybe that is why I am having so much trouble. Therefore, I am looking to get a decent iron (posted in a thread about it -- http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=830899#post830899). Like a pen type Hakko or something (I like the small precision looking tip).

I also like Malves suggestion of using the tip tinner. I think I may pick up some to use with the new iron.

The only thing is, what would be the best wattage for a novice: 25w, 30w, 40w ? For right now, I need to do a drop mod on my P4C800E Deluxe rev2 (I just hope I can get my skills up to par in time).

Malves
04-24-2005, 06:28 AM
25-30w is good for both novice and experienced. At least for me 30w is good enough when doing vmods.:)

angrysquirrel
04-24-2005, 10:08 AM

http://www.coldheat.com/downloads/st-faq.pdf

This says its fine with electronics but I would be wary of anything that can spark (see the last question). The tip it comes with is crap, too.