PDA

View Full Version : Windows resolution problems

Wittigo
03-23-2005, 11:48 AM
A few days ago I set my resolution to 1600x1200 (which my monitor cannot support) and had to restart my computer before it could change back to it's original settings. 1600x1200 was set as the resolution my video card put out, so once I get to the user screen of windows, my monitor turns itself off. Is there a way that I can change the resolution before windows boots up? I've tried using hot keys and that didn't work. Also, my monitor turns itself off in safe mode. Any ideas? Thanks.

Alec
03-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Press F8 just before the windows boot screen and either choose the last good configuration opion or go into safe mode and do a system restore

bachus_anonym
03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Press F8 just before the windows boot screen and either choose the last good configuration opion or go into safe mode and do a system restore
In case that doesn't work then do F8, Safe Mode, uninstall video drivers and reboot ;)

Wittigo
03-23-2005, 02:06 PM
I don't have any drivers installed (it's just in till I get a replacement for my 6800 ultra) and the screen turns itself off when I try to boot in safe mode.

Alec
03-23-2005, 02:32 PM
try a different monitor.. you may have damaged the monitor your using at the moment... :stick:

Wittigo
03-23-2005, 02:45 PM
The monitor I'm using displays things perfectly, up to the user screen, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll try it out though.

CHEMICAL
03-24-2005, 12:39 AM
have you tried to boot into vga boot mode ;)

Wittigo
03-24-2005, 04:42 PM
I've seen it before, but now I can't figure out how to get to vga mode. How exactly do I do it?

CHEMICAL
03-24-2005, 06:03 PM
press f8 when booting up it should be in the same list as safemode

Wittigo
03-24-2005, 06:20 PM
When I press F8 it asks me what I want to boot from. If I restart my computer, hold del immediatly and exit the set up, it give me the safe mode option, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last good settings and start windows normally, but no vga mode. I've seen it before, but I'm not sure how to get back.

CHEMICAL
03-24-2005, 08:18 PM
this is what it should look like when booting up and pressing f8

http://home.earthlink.net/~lreynol929/ruXP/Startup/AdvancedOptionsMenu.gif

Wittigo
03-25-2005, 06:54 PM
I know thats what it should say, but it doesn't. It just gives me a blue box with yellow highlighting to select what I want to boot from. I notcied at the bottom of that screen shot there's an option to go back to the OS selection screen, that might be of more help, so how do I get to the OS selection screen?

nstabl
03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
I know thats what it should say, but it doesn't. It just gives me a blue box with yellow highlighting to select what I want to boot from. I notcied at the bottom of that screen shot there's an option to go back to the OS selection screen, that might be of more help, so how do I get to the OS selection screen?
Wittigo, if you can give us in 'detail' exactly what screen you are looking at it would really help, there could be a recovery screen coming up, an OS options screen coming up, if you can take a pic it would be perfect, otherwise just write the lines of text, we'll see what we can do.