PDA

View Full Version : Psp

Northwood
03-23-2005, 08:20 AM
anyone here got the PSP yet? what u think of it?

i got 1 off ebay a few days ago and it seems quite good, the games i got are in jap though, NFSU Rivals and Ridge Racers.

the graphics seem even better than the PS2 :D

Disposibleteen
03-23-2005, 08:23 AM
ill get one next week when another shippment comes in at bestbuy. They are sold out of their first shipment and its not even for sale until tommorrow. How are the movies on it? I really want to get a bigger memory card for it as i plan to use it as a music player and gamer so 32mb wont quite cut it.

Northwood
03-23-2005, 09:31 AM
i nicked the 1GB flash out of my mum's digital camera and that works fine, dunno about movies yet, not got any on them special discs.

its a good console though, much better than nintendo's DS, and much better than gizmondo.

Disposibleteen
03-23-2005, 10:27 AM
i think they have Kill Bill 1, pirates of the caribean, and spiderman 2 out for it so far, more will come out when it gains popularity.

craig588
03-23-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm going to wait untill they crack one of these systems. Most new games bore me, but both of these 2 new portable systems have the processing power for SNES emulation. I will port SNES9X to whichever one is cracked first. I really hope it is the DS because I like the ARM9 that the DS uses and I hate the MIPS that the PSP uses. (For anyone that isn't programming on the thing it doesn't make a bit of difference, don't base your purchasing descision on that unless you yourself plan on programming on it)

Disposibleteen
03-24-2005, 06:56 AM
naw not me, im just looking for a nice gaming system and music player, hope the sound quality is nice enough.

gkiing
03-25-2005, 11:12 PM
ohh man dont get me started about this thing. One of my friends got one today and its sweet, the screen is planty big eneough and the graphics are good except for a little blockyness due to the small screen. I am sure these will become tenfold as useful when hacked firmware comes out for internet/gps etc etc.

KoolDrew
03-26-2005, 05:44 AM
I cannot afford one. I would like to get one though.

Reflex1
03-26-2005, 10:12 AM
man where you all get em from ..they aint out in europe yet. it may be better than DS but also over twice as expensive.

gkiing
03-26-2005, 11:26 AM
In canada you can get them at futureshop (best buy canada) theyve had them for 4 or 5 days now.

Bloody_Sorcerer
03-26-2005, 04:48 PM
can you overclock them? :)
whens PSPMark05 coming out?

gkiing
03-26-2005, 05:50 PM

apparantly they are underclocked, the processor in them runs at ~200mhz i heard but it's "stock" is 333mhz

Disposibleteen
03-26-2005, 09:59 PM
apparantly they are underclocked, the processor in them runs at ~200mhz i heard but it's "stock" is 333mhz
heh, so we wouldnt even be overclocking them, we would be taking back our stovk settings!

gkiing
03-26-2005, 11:11 PM
heh, so we wouldnt even be overclocking them, we would be taking back our stovk settings!

I think they might be underclocked to deal with heat issues, but im not 100% sure.

Disposibleteen
03-27-2005, 06:33 AM
awww, thats not cool, i wonder if an aftermarket cooler will come out for it anytime soon ;)

Chris27
03-27-2005, 11:35 AM
I think they might be underclocked to deal with heat issues, but im not 100% sure.

thats what the vapcochill psp edition is for :p:

sinsinking
03-28-2005, 12:22 PM
I have many friends have the japanese verison PSP
they said at the beginning, the PSP is fine, but after play a while.
There will be more and more dead pixel come out..
One of my friend has 10 dead pixels already..
most of them have 2-5 dead pixels
Current PSP is locked with their 2/3 speed for their CPU and GPU.

Disposibleteen
03-28-2005, 12:40 PM
yea ive been reading about the dead pixel problem, sony wont even rma them if they have dead pixels, this is making me think twice about getting one. I think that if i spend $250 on a device it should come with 0 dead pixels. Alot of news websites say it is near impossible to find one that doesnt have at least one dead pixel.

gkiing
03-28-2005, 12:51 PM
I also heard that more dead pixels are happening after use, I'm going to keep an eye on my friend's unit before I spend $250 on one. The store he bought it from will rma if there's dead pixels in the center of teh screen or if theres more than 10.

sinsinking
03-28-2005, 07:13 PM
nice store.
10 is a lot.. maybe 1-5 for the PSP screen is possible for 90%+ PSP.

gkiing
03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
it was at futureshop (aka bestbuy canada). I'm not sure if it was exactly 10, but it wasn't very many, maybe even 5 or so.

Disposibleteen
03-28-2005, 08:47 PM
i still think 1 dead pixel is too many for something that costs $250 and the screen isnt even very big, even if it is the biggest of any handheld gaming system.

redgoo
03-28-2005, 11:19 PM
It will be interesting to see how this whole 'dead pixel' thing plays out, especially if it gets worse over time.

krille
03-30-2005, 05:24 AM
I currently have one (1) dead pixel on my Palm Tungsten C - it came back with it after I sent it off for a $300 (converted into USD from SEK) repair when the original screen bust. Pissed me off big time (still does). It is shining demon red, like an evil eye staring at me, laughing at my misery whenever I'm trying to put peace to my mind gaming or watching a movie or something. Annoys me to death.

This news about the PSP is certainly gonna make me think twice before getting one of them, when you've once experienced dead pixels you'll learn to hate them.

Reflex1
03-30-2005, 06:35 AM
hmm ...sounds like quiet an issue. hopefully there will be a revision 2 of the PSP or sumthing ...

i still want one though :D

ingentingmendeg
04-11-2005, 12:49 PM
damn i know, one of my friends got one. and there really nice. but the sound quality sucked.

sinsinking
04-11-2005, 02:29 PM
guys, don't worry.
If you do not feel comfortable for ur PSP dead pixel, u can call sony within 2 weeks and they will help u out. My brother just bought PSP, and no dead pixel(maybe we didn't notice) maybe gonna test it within this week.
Sound quality not bad, this is handheld, we can't expect it's a mp3 player.
Graphic is very veyr nice. wide screen is nice hehe.
Encode MP4 for movie, anime is nice.

Kunaak
04-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I dont have a PSP but I have seen 3 kids that have them here in juneau, and none had a dead pixel that I could see. personally, I will wait till they come down in price alittle and theres more games to choose from.

hard to resist, with GTA coming out in about 2 months for it.

3rd-Dimension
04-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Sound quality not bad, this is handheld, we can't expect it's a mp3 player.

lol it is an mp3 player!

Disposibleteen
04-11-2005, 04:32 PM
yes but not a dedicated one, so it wont sound as good as an ipod will.

hixie
04-18-2005, 02:08 AM
I have a PSP from japan ... graphics are damn amazing.
Need for speed rivals is pretty good, but they dun have my Trueno AE86!!
Underclocked? hmmm .... i bet someone is gonna put LN2 on it, and end up getting frostbites on their fingers.

notoriousformula
04-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Here is nice hack for PSP...Turn your PSP into a universal Remote

http://psphacks.blogspot.com/2005/04/psp-home-control-10.html

Reflex1
04-19-2005, 04:21 AM
the remote thing is cool ...pretty useless tho for a PSP. i mean just get a remote ...not a $300 PSP to do that.

Reflex1
04-19-2005, 04:22 AM
the official version of the european PSP is coming out in December! ...you can get it all over the place already tho. its just that the version in December i heard will be cheaper and revised. since the current european version has faults in the buttons or something.

gkiing
04-21-2005, 08:55 AM
afaik sony posponed the european release so they could divert extra units to the USA

strung0utst0nedguy
06-29-2005, 11:15 PM
ds sux compared to psp the only thing good about it is the touch screen

craig588
06-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Your information is based on what? Apparantly nothing. You're using a communication method based around text. Learn how to translate your thoughts into it. "sux" is not a word. Grammar and punctuation are ideal, spelling can be secondary as long as people can still interpert the intended word.

I have programmed on both the ARM9 and the MIPS. The IPC of the MIPS is awful, it is too ineffeciant of archetechture for a portable system.

Reflex1
06-30-2005, 11:39 PM
ds sux compared to psp the only thing good about it is the touch screen
you think the touch screen is a good thing? ...i think its stupid ...half the DS games involve rubbing the screen ...what skill is involved in that? DS is for kids.

mcnbns
07-01-2005, 06:29 AM
you think the touch screen is a good thing? ...i think its stupid ...half the DS games involve rubbing the screen ...what skill is involved in that? DS is for kids.
^ Word up. I'm thinking about getting a PSP myself...

Just think: surfing the web with a hacked browser via wifi, listening to mp3s, playing games, and watching the latest movies. :cool: Hell yeah! :banana:

craig588
07-01-2005, 08:32 AM
I do like the GCC compatability of the MIPS chip. That's what's making me insane. I can choose the ARM9 and need to program in ASM, but can run more processor intesive stuff, or I can choose the MIPS and get to use C, but it will not be as fast.

eddieate
07-03-2005, 07:32 AM
apparentely you can use it as a web server too,
assuming you've got nothing better to do... Linkage (http://www.microsith.com/psp-http/)
Ed

Disposibleteen
07-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Whats the point, you can get 2gb of gmail space and use that so much easier.

eddieate
07-03-2005, 01:00 PM
i did say 'if you've got nothing better to do... ;)

mcnbns
07-03-2005, 02:17 PM
apparentely you can use it as a web server too,
assuming you've got nothing better to do... Linkage (http://www.microsith.com/psp-http/)
Ed
That's what I love about the PSP! You can do anything with it! I am seriously considering buying one...

Philly_Boy
07-15-2005, 08:33 AM
I have owned a PSP since the day they came out. The screen is big and bright....and detailed enough to make DVD movies look darn good! I've watched about a dozen movies on it.....ones on UMD discs that you can rent at Blockbuster and ones I burned onto a memory stick after I transcoded it from a DVD. I've completed several games and even listen to MP3's on it-albeit on better headphones....the ones that come bundled with the PSP really suck.

I have not seen one dead pixel so far and I'll bet I have a few hundred hours spent on this one. As a MP3 player, the PSP isn't quite as intuitive as my iPod, but it'll do in a pinch if my son happens to borrow the iPod. I have even competed with friends via the wireless head to head mode. I've even played with people via the internet on my wireless connection. The 'net play is a bit obtuse to get on at first.....but repetition teaches you the habit quickly.

Anyway, I've found this unit to be quite versatile and enjoyable. I bought it to pretty much play games with....but have come to also appreciate it as a video and music player. I can even display jpg's at decent resolution...480x272...try doing that with your cell phone! So, guys....until you own one and appreciate it for it's one-unit-does-it-all-in-the-palm-of-your-hand versatility don't bust on it! Factor in that it looks waaaaay cooler than a Nintendo DS, has a bigger and brighter screen and plays games designed for a more mature audience. What other portable will be able to play Grand Turismo 4? All-n-all I believe it was $250 well spent.

~Philly~

geoff2k
07-15-2005, 09:35 AM
All-n-all I believe it was $250 well spent.

I could not agree with you more -- especially now that the homebrew PSP scene is really picking up and all the emulators are becoming available, the PSP is definitely the handheld to have.

Reflex1
07-15-2005, 10:58 AM
im getting one as soon as they bloody come out in Europe (September) ...jeez we are always last :stick:

(yes, i cud order one from japan, but i dont wanna pay $400 for one ...and if it breaks im stuffed.)

mcnbns
07-17-2005, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I got mine 3 days ago now and I love it. The first thing I did was (use my old mp3 player's USB cable because the PSP doesn't come with one to) load up a bunch of ROMs and emulators. I've got Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy 3, Harvest Moon, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia and a bunch of others.

I haven't even bought a game for it yet because I've been having so much fun with the old school SNES action. :p:

The people who say the battery life sucks are out to lunch. I can run SNES emulators with the CPU at 333MHz all the time for 4-5 hours before it tells me my battery is low, and then I've got another 20 minutes after that.

PSP = teh pwn. w00t!

p0rl1n
07-24-2005, 01:50 PM
yeah now i'm torn, the new 2.0 firmware will include an official browser (no more slow wipeout browser), which would be nice, but it will break the current emu programs. i'm sure someone will figure a way around this, but how long will i have to wait...

mcnbns
07-25-2005, 09:42 PM
yeah now i'm torn, the new 2.0 firmware will include an official browser (no more slow wipeout browser), which would be nice, but it will break the current emu programs. i'm sure someone will figure a way around this, but how long will i have to wait...
I guarantee you a month or less after 2.0 is released it will be hacked and worked-around with equal ease as 1.5 is now.

Fear not, my brother.[/prophecy]

DZVlad
07-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Yes, that is for sure :) You shouldn't worry about hackers not being able to hack today's consoles :) They are just getting too near to a real PC nowadays :)

mcnbns
07-26-2005, 09:52 PM
For now I am happy with being able to use the web at all on this thing.

For the record this took 10 mins to write on my PSP.

p0rl1n
07-27-2005, 01:36 PM
heh. yeah this thing needs an IR or usb keyboard for browsing. and btw i couldnt wait, so i installed the japanese 2.0 update today http://www.playstation.jp/psp/update/ud_03.html.
the official browser is a lot better.

einCe
08-20-2005, 11:42 PM
does installing the jap update make your psp display jap or eng characters?

Xyus89
08-21-2005, 01:02 PM
On a rock festival there was a tent from sony, and I played on the PSP.

Wipeout pure. It owned.
but I think I'm not going to get.
1st. I want to play lots of music and I've got a creative zen micro :)
2nd. If I want to go on the internet outside I'll use my laptop (WiFi)

and gaming, PC, I hate consoles.

xyus

mcnbns
08-21-2005, 05:29 PM
does installing the jap update make your psp display jap or eng characters?
You set the language to whatever you want. The Japanese update is more or less worldwide, except that Sony doesn't want North Americans using it.

However, I would recommend against the update if you've got firmware 1.5 installed. There are standalone browsers out there that are supposed to be a lot better than the Wipeout one, and the extra video formats are kind of useless. Wallpaper? PSPersonalize. Plus with 1.5 or earlier firmware you can use emulators and other homebrew progs/games.

KoHaN69
09-08-2005, 09:12 AM

yea they come at 233, but they are rated for 333
they run lower due to battery limitations

i dont know if anyone went past 333 thou :woot:

einCe
09-08-2005, 02:53 PM
mmmmmm posting off of my psp via hijacking my neihgbors connection lol. :slobber:

KoHaN69
09-11-2005, 11:15 PM
I cannot afford one. I would like to get one though.

I conned one for $50 :p:

desolator
09-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Proud Owner Of PSP for a week now

just wanted to say, leaving all other factors aside, the cool factor of this Console PWNS!

its a neat gadget to have in ur hand! and thts without all the handy features it has

MCNBNS:
dude, where exactly r u getting the emulators/standalone browsers

will a 32mb stick suffice? cuz my 1 gig is still on order :D

einCe
09-12-2005, 02:58 PM
no, a 32 will not suffice, i got a 1gig too.

craig588
09-12-2005, 03:26 PM
I have a 1GB and have been looking into 4GB sticks, they are more than I want to pay right now though.

You'll always want more memory stick.

Here's one of the best PSP scene news websites. http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/ They have all of the emulators and homebrew you could want.

Also, PSPupdates is a moneymaking scheme website. The owners made it just to earn advertizing revenue, they don't care about the scene or the PSP. Don't vist that site.