PDA

View Full Version : Is it Mepis? Crap, I'm such t3h newb...

Cedric
03-22-2005, 02:23 AM
When I was visiting Vancouver for Christmas, my.... great step-uncle? whatever. Anyways, he was showing us a Linux OS he found that is great for "newbies": easy to use, don't need to be 1337 programzorz, basic set up. I think it was Mepis, I'm not sure. Anyways, it did look pretty simple. It had an pretty easy and accessible layout, kind of like Windows, with a 'Start'-like menu, and a task bar and what not. I can't remember clearly, so that's the best description I can give you.

Can someone confirm if this is Mepis I'm talking about? I'm not sure if all Linux OS'es look relatively the same, so that is why I'm asking you for help. It could have been a different one that looks similar. I have looked up screenshots of Mepis, and it looks very similar to what my Uncle showed me, but I'm just seeing if anyone else can think of a simpler Linux OS for my benefit as a newbie, or if anyone else can find a similar looking Linux OS. Thanks.

Cedric
03-22-2005, 02:28 AM
Oh, and if it makes any difference, I remember him booting it on my grandma's computer from a floppy. I read a few other threads in here saying how you can boot MEPIS from a disk, so I thought that might help.

sjohnson
03-26-2005, 11:00 AM
MEPIS has a pyramid-based desktop background, in a cobalt-blue color. If that's what you remember, you've got a likely hit.

Ubunto and Knoppix are also likely candidates.