PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft may face $5 Million fine a day

SLaY3r07
03-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Well thats $208,333.33 per hour. Well these European regulators of monoplies have the power to levy 5% of Microsoft's sales daily. Source (http://theinquirer.net/?article=21979)

saaya
03-21-2005, 08:00 PM
sweet! :banana:

jjcom
03-21-2005, 08:26 PM
lol Saaya :lol:

mmm..interesting grounds on fining them.

jjcom

Kazoo
03-21-2005, 08:53 PM
They'll just start auditing the Government's licenses....like they did here ;)

saaya
03-21-2005, 08:58 PM
well 5 million a day means ms will have to pay at least 1 million a day to the right people in the eu government to not get sued, wich still means they lose a lot of money, so whoohooo :banana:

matt9669
03-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Still just a fly in the ointment to MS . . .

I also have political objections to the EU's tactics, but that's a topic for Wampeteers ;)

shadowing
03-21-2005, 09:56 PM
w00t!! Now everyone shall say microsoft sux. HAIL LINUX!!

trakslacker
03-21-2005, 10:26 PM
righto, well last time I checked M$ as a corp. was worth in the range of $120 billion(this is NOT including Billy boy's personal worth), so at that rate, it would take approximately 65 years of $5 million/day fine to bankrupt Microsoft. I doubt they are too worried about it.

Mag Master 21
03-22-2005, 06:54 AM
well 5 million a day means ms will have to pay at least 1 million a day to the right people in the eu government to not get sued, wich still means they lose a lot of money, so whoohooo :banana:

Why are you so against microsoft? They deserve every penny that they have, and unless you can prove a point otherwise, your feelings are unwarranted.

Mag Master 21
03-22-2005, 06:56 AM
righto, well last time I checked M$ as a corp. was worth in the range of $120 billion(this is NOT including Billy boy's personal worth), so at that rate, it would take approximately 65 years of $5 million/day fine to bankrupt Microsoft. I doubt they are too worried about it.

did you know Bill Gates sells atleast 1,000,000 of his personal shares in microsoft a week? He makes atleast $25m a week, just from selling off his stock.

Talk about insane..

Disposibleteen
03-22-2005, 07:00 AM
Why are you so against microsoft? They deserve every penny that they have, and unless you can prove a point otherwise, your feelings are unwarranted.
i just dont think they deserve every penny they earn becuase they charge way to much for their software.

saaya
03-22-2005, 07:04 AM

you mean with 0 income, right? if they keep making money it will take hundrets of years...

saaya
03-22-2005, 07:05 AM
i just dont think they deserve every penny they earn becuase they charge way to much for their software.

and force everybody to use their products and if they cant they buy up the competition and either assimilate or kill it...

Stumpjumper5200
03-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Okay, quick question here. I'm not very well educated on Macs, so please let me know if I'm a complete idiot.

Microsoft wants to be the end-all be all for your computer SOFTWARE.

Mac wants to do the entire thing: hardware AND software.

Trying to dominate software = evil. Trying to dominate everything = not evil?

Someone please tell me I'm missing a big detail here.

unixxx
03-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Microsoft hasn't ripped anyone off more than any other large company. Of course, I think killing off the competition is bad, but you still chose to run Windows and it still has a better GUI than Linux... Not that I'm bashing Linux, I use that too.

UnreaL
03-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Some quick maths:

5% = $5,000,000
100% = $100,000,000

So MS makes $100,000,000/day :eek: - well roughly... depending on wether that 5% inc./exc. costs.

Marine_1
03-22-2005, 01:31 PM
If you got stuffed in your locker everyday in high school(like bill gates) world domination would be your goal too right?

Mag Master 21
03-23-2005, 09:21 AM

they have an inelastic demand curve. they can afford to do that..

saaya
03-23-2005, 09:53 AM
If you got stuffed in your locker everyday in high school(like bill gates) world domination would be your goal too right?

:ROTF: :rotf: :up: :lol:

Grov
03-23-2005, 10:01 AM
I seriously doubt there not botherd about it though. No company wants to loose money like that, no matter how much they have.

SLaY3r07
03-23-2005, 02:20 PM
I seriously doubt there not botherd about it though. No company wants to loose money like that, no matter how much they have.

Well micro$oft is most likely used to this stuff by now :bounce:

Wicked Klown
03-23-2005, 09:54 PM
This has to be the most flipped up law suits yet. After all they are pissed cause he won't share his codes with other. Guess what they are his codes MS came up with them. Let the makers of Linux make their own and stop pissin and moaning cause Gates won't hand over something they shouldn't have in the first place. After all you don't see Nvidia helping Ati or Ati helping Nvidia do you.

trakslacker
03-23-2005, 11:42 PM
they have an inelastic demand curve. they can afford to do that..

This is essentially correct. For all intents and purposes, Microsoft is a monopoly, and thus can really charge whatever price they please. However, the threat of more lawsuits from the U.S. govt. regarding their practices forces them to act as a regulated monopoly, which artificially constrains their prices to a certain level even though they are not actually price regulated by the govt.(meaing the govt. actually tells them what prices they may charge).

This is still not a problem for M$, though, as when selling at this constrained price, they still earn a full normal profit, meaning they are making as much money as they could do anything else, and thus have no incentive to change anything that they are doing with regard to products and pricing.

Yeah, I'm an Econ. major, and a tech nerd. Talk about a geek. :D

jjcom
03-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Thats still a lot of money for them to loose, but I guess they can afford it...

jjcom

Crankster
03-24-2005, 12:49 PM
I call shens on the monopoly part. There is nothing monopolic about making the best/easiest to use software out there,

Mag Master 21
03-25-2005, 11:55 AM
This is essentially correct. For all intents and purposes, Microsoft is a monopoly, and thus can really charge whatever price they please. However, the threat of more lawsuits from the U.S. govt. regarding their practices forces them to act as a regulated monopoly, which artificially constrains their prices to a certain level even though they are not actually price regulated by the govt.(meaing the govt. actually tells them what prices they may charge).

This is still not a problem for M$, though, as when selling at this constrained price, they still earn a full normal profit, meaning they are making as much money as they could do anything else, and thus have no incentive to change anything that they are doing with regard to products and pricing.

Yeah, I'm an Econ. major, and a tech nerd. Talk about a geek. :D

I'm dual majoring in econ and finance ;)

The problem is actually in their gross margin, not how much they charge. Their gross margin is 80% (last time I checked), and it has been making people wonder.