PDA

View Full Version : Bong cooling/good pump/ water block.

Revv23
03-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Anyone here use it?

I'm trying to put together a watercooling setup on my CPU for roughly $100, and this seems like a great way for me to save money and have good temps all at once..

what are you thoughts on bong cooling, and a cheap pump that has enough head pressure to get the water up the 3ft to the top of the bong?

and while we are at it, would it be cheaper to make my own block ( i have a torch and a drill press but i would need the parts and brazing stuff) or is there a budget block thats close to high performance? could i go really ghetto and just glue some PVC onto my heatspreader?

sorry im brand new when it comes to water, ive always been a die hard air fan (no pun intended) but with my 2.8C going from 3.8 to 3.9 when it went from 50c to 45c tells me there is alot more in this chip with some better temps...

thanks in advance

MaxxxRacer
03-21-2005, 02:57 PM
no pvc on ur heatspreader. u need a copper block..

it would not be woth the hassle of building ur own block. try ebay or the buy sell trade. you can usually find a used block for around 25 dollars.

the bong coolers are great but watch out becuase the moisture level in ur room will sky rocket and you will have a chance of getting corrosion on all things metal in ur room. to avoid this u need to keep the room well ventilated.

Revv23
03-21-2005, 03:04 PM
cool i like the sound of that, and by pvc on my HS i meant that i would cut off the end of a smalle diameter tube and just have the water pour right onto the heatspreader, obviously that wouldnt have been my long term plan :p:

humidity wouldnt be a problem as ive got an unused dehumidifier in my basement.. .

so now i just need to find a pump... what about this mag 3... heard it was only about $40...?

MaxxxRacer
03-21-2005, 03:07 PM
mag 3 will work great in the base of the bong.. just dont use it as an inline pump they are designed to be submurged and have a tendency to leak. you will want to seal it up with some goop. you can get goop at ur local hardware store.

i higly dont suggest doing that with the IHS. you will kill ur rig garunteed. lol.. just get a cheap block off the forums or something.

Revv23
03-21-2005, 04:26 PM
ive got some goop, but im curious, if its submerged is goop really neccesary?

looking into blocks alot now... i found the mag 3 for $50, so i might have to go slightly overbugdet, which i dont really care about, ive been thinking it wouldnt be hard at all to modify my window with my AC unit built in, so i could just have the top end of the bong stick right out of the window.

MaxxxRacer
03-21-2005, 04:28 PM
its still a good idea.. it couldnt hurt you know.

having the top suck out the window would bea good idea.. because you will REALLY notice it fast if you have an effecient bong.

Revv23
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
only problem with the window thing is that it would mean the bong would have to be about 4ft-5fthigh and the loop would be about 6ft both ways... im new to watercooling but something tells me ths would stress the pump quite hard....im wondering, if the shower head is only halfway up the bong, would this hurt the exaust performance too much?