PDA

View Full Version : Which router?

masterofpuppets
03-20-2005, 03:39 PM
I have just got a shiny 2mbit connection! :D This is all good, but I need router. Can anyone recommend me a decent non-wireless ADSL router? I need this net working soon, my Debian Sarge installation is in long need of updating.

KoolDrew
03-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Linksys makes good routers.

masterofpuppets
03-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Yeah, but which model?

Gitsum
03-21-2005, 12:07 PM
D-Link DGL-4100 if your a online gamer.
Or Clarkconnect if your into the Linux thing.

masterofpuppets
03-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Hmm, yes I am into online gaming. That DGL-4100 description on their site sounds pretty biased though. Anyone had any experiences with it? Is it any good for general use too?

KoolDrew
03-21-2005, 02:20 PM
For the price the DGL-4100 is a rip off IMO. Just go with something cheap. There is no reason to go with something expensive unless you need some added feutures. I just bought a D-link off of ebay.

masterofpuppets
03-21-2005, 02:37 PM
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=142

What about this one?

J-Mag
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
For the price the DGL-4100 is a rip off IMO. Just go with something cheap.

I have the 4300 version, which is essentially the 4100 with a 802.11b/g wireless acces point ( which I turned off btw... heh...).

Anyway, I don't see them as a huge rip-off, $120 for the 4100 which is probably the cheapest you can get for a gigabit router... Which is one of the main reasons I acquired it. I wanted a gigabit connections between my home PCs without having to need both a standard 10/100 router and a gigabit switch.

It is a definately the most managable "end-user" router I have seen. I am not even familiar with half of the options available. But the good thing is that it includes SPI and Application prioriety control (which is nice, cause you can have a massive download going on in low priorety while all the ping sesnitive stuff can be put in the fron't of the line...)

Anyway, I have had no issues with the router as of yet (only had it up and running for 2 months, and I haven't had to reset it yet. Which is something I cannot say about my Linksys... the Linksys bastard needed to be reset at least once a month)

masterofpuppets
03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Does the 4100 have a web interface or an annoying GUI interface for Winblows?

Dissolved
03-21-2005, 03:18 PM
I have the 4300 version, which is essentially the 4100 with a 802.11b/g wireless acces point ( which I turned off btw... heh...).

Anyway, I don't see them as a huge rip-off, $120 for the 4100 which is probably the cheapest you can get for a gigabit router... Which is one of the main reasons I acquired it. I wanted a gigabit connections between my home PCs without having to need both a standard 10/100 router and a gigabit switch.

It is a definately the most managable "end-user" router I have seen. I am not even familiar with half of the options available. But the good thing is that it includes SPI and Application prioriety control (which is nice, cause you can have a massive download going on in low priorety while all the ping sesnitive stuff can be put in the fron't of the line...)

Anyway, I have had no issues with the router as of yet (only had it up and running for 2 months, and I haven't had to reset it yet. Which is something I cannot say about my Linksys... the Linksys bastard needed to be reset at least once a month)

Yea, im getting a 4300, and i only have 1 Home pc. That tells you how good i think it is.

The Gamefuel Option it is seems to be great for a lil extra package mangagement while gameing.

J-Mag
03-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Does the 4100 have a web interface or an annoying GUI interface for Winblows?

It uses a web based management system, so you can access it remotely(although you can turn off remote management from outside your domain/subnet and it is turned off with default settings).

I actually don't even use my software firewall now that I have this (do you think stateful packet inspection is good enough?)

J-Mag
03-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Yea, im getting a 4300, and i only have 1 Home pc. That tells you how good i think it is.

The Gamefuel Option it is seems to be great for a lil extra package mangagement while gameing.

HEH... I have only one PC hooked to it right now also :p:

That's just b/c I am waiting on RMA for my secondary machines MB (funny fact is that it only has 10/100), so essentially I got the gigabit for future proofing. Although I can see myself with a new mothebroard and new processor here soon... I think I am going to have a devoted file server on my current a8n-sli b/c it is pretty stable, just on the best OC'er. Then get myself a DFI-SLI + Venice.

Then I will actually be able to use the gigabit feature.

Dissolved: Anyway, why do you like the 4300 so much if you have never used it?

Edit: Another thing that came to mind, is that the 4100 and 4300 support VPN tunneling ( i can't remember if it supports VPN termination)

jinu117
03-22-2005, 08:14 PM
I am on 4300 myself, or have been pretty much for last 2 months...
I believe it works better than my netgear SuperG router or Linksys ones I tried (all wireless)

1) I have 2 packet 8 phone (IP phone), I use VPN frequently as I telecommute 95% of time, and I DO game a lot :)
a. Packet 8 phones definitely are getting much less drop on packets. It is night and day difference on call experience.
b. VPN seems to hold better if I forget to leave it on at times. Few days, I've gone without disconnecting it. Wasn't possible with Netgear or Linksys
c. Believe it or not, my lowest ping to some servers on CS:S is now in 11-12ms on good days. Previously 13-15ms was the lowest I've seen. Of course, this is not statiscal thing or what not. but one thing for sure is, I don't have to reset router to play CS:S as for some reason netgear router or linksys would need reset some times when my CS:S crashed due to excessive overclocking to get back on server. Never had this problem with this router even when I have crashed few times.

2) The managing over web interface is so intuitive to someone with basic network understanding (or for advanced ones as well). It has just about all things in place that you will need or use (other than maybe being able to bridge multiple WAN... now that is totally diff discussion on itself by than :P)

3) Quirk - Unlike most DHCP routers, this one when you assign static IP on router, you will have to set it up in your local computer as well for static. Most routers now a day will use DHCP with pre-assigned IP for semi-static setup. It does get bothersome at times when you have to swap router out with something else, etc. But no biggie really.

However, I've gotta agree the price is outrageously high. Only justification for me really was the 2 packet 8 phones we use which monthly bill comes out to $70 or os with many international calls. If I am spending that much might as well back it up with pleasant call experience. For gaming reason, etc... I don't know if paying $50-60 premium is worth justification of 2-5 ms unless you are professional gamer :P

matt9669
03-23-2005, 04:26 AM
Always been pleased with Dlink products. Price is very high for your average home router, but this ain't your momma's router - think of it this way, how often do you upgrade your power supply? In the same way, I'd rather pay extra for a router, knowing I'm getting the highest quality, best supported, most future proof product. With Gigabit connections and 802.11g I don't see how you'd need to replace it even five years from now . . .

Anyway, just my $.02, but a router is one of those headache-prone products, and I'd rather pay extra for a good one personally.

J-Mag
03-23-2005, 10:08 AM
c. Believe it or not, my lowest ping to some servers on CS:S is now in 11-12ms on good days. Previously 13-15ms was the lowest I've seen. Of course, this is not statiscal thing or what not. but one thing for sure is, I don't have to reset router to play CS:S as for some reason netgear router or linksys would need reset some times when my CS:S crashed due to excessive overclocking to get back on server. Never had this problem with this router even when I have crashed few times.

Did you enable SPI? ( I was mildy interested to see if SPI slowed down pings...)

jinu117
03-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Of course :) I have really no firewall setup on my machines as it gives me more headache to manage 4 computers that are constantly on at home. I let router handle it... :)

J-Mag
03-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Of course :) I have really no firewall setup on my machines as it gives me more headache to manage 4 computers that are constantly on at home. I let router handle it... :)

Agreed, I totally got rid of all my software firewalls (although I noticed, that i tend to watch the activity lights of my router more often now... paranoia... I HATE it when I see activity and I know that I am not doing anything...)

Anyway do you think SPI is enough?

Also, did you upgrade your firmware on the 4300? If so, why?

masterofpuppets
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Ok, decided on Dlink DGL-4100 (don't want wireless). But which modem to go for? It says that you need a seperate modem for DSL. Does anyone know a decent DSL modem (NOT CABLE) that will work in the UK and with this router?

J-Mag
03-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Ok, decided on Dlink DGL-4100 (don't want wireless). But which modem to go for? It says that you need a seperate modem for DSL. Does anyone know a decent DSL modem (NOT CABLE) that will work in the UK and with this router?

Well I am not familiar with the UK's DSL service, but over here my ISP provided a modem along with the install kit (it is rented)...

Also, don't worry abou thte router being compatable with the Modem, as long as the DSL modem has an ethernet port, it will work (to date I have not seen a DSL or Cable modem /out at least a 10BT port, so I am gunna bet that whatever modem you get will have an ethernet port. Some also can be connected via USB, but thats for morons...)

Crankster
03-24-2005, 12:20 PM
The DSL300T is good. Actually the modems don't vary in performance IMO. I am talking from experience, i have been doing support on ADSL for about half a year.
Zyxel is good shaite too.

sllywhtboy
03-25-2005, 01:53 PM
all consumer-grade products will have similar quality and features. it just comes down to brand-preference. get a router with Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI)

you may want to rent your dsl modem from your ISP. that way, if it gets fried by lightning & such, it's on them to replace it...usually the next day

then, you don't have to go through RMA hell to get it replaced and be down for 2+ wks. maybe your experience w/ RMAs are shorter timeframes... but any more than 1 day w/o internet for me is too long. :P

jinu117
03-29-2005, 07:09 AM
Agreed, I totally got rid of all my software firewalls (although I noticed, that i tend to watch the activity lights of my router more often now... paranoia... I HATE it when I see activity and I know that I am not doing anything...)

Anyway do you think SPI is enough?

Also, did you upgrade your firmware on the 4300? If so, why?

I have upgraded firmware... reason, hoping that they changed the static IP mechanism... they didn't change it -_-; As for firmware upgrade, this one actually is much much smoother than few others i've had. (not that others had problem but the instruction on webpage is better and whole procedure is detailed well, etc.

MaxxxRacer
04-01-2005, 07:40 PM
for the record lynksis is garbage. and this is coming from the source. cant say what, but its the source.. lol..

netgear is very good. considered the best non pro (cisco) gear.

sllywhtboy
04-01-2005, 08:35 PM
for the record lynksis is garbage. and this is coming from the source. cant say what, but its the source.. lol..

netgear is very good. considered the best non pro (cisco) gear.all consumer grade is the same quality. you get what you pay for, regardless of brand.

masterofpuppets
04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Can't find a DGL-4100 anywhere in this country :( So I had to settle for a temporary solution, some random Dlink wireless router (I use the wireless port for teh laptop). Anyone know where I can get a DGL-4100 in the UK?

Skip
04-05-2005, 09:07 PM
i'm personally getting this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-124&depa=0

its everything i need in one, modem/firewall/4portswith/ and wireless access point.

J-Mag
04-06-2005, 08:59 AM
i'm personally getting this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-124&depa=0

its everything i need in one, modem/firewall/4portswith/ and wireless access point.

BOOOO! It is only 10/100 though :hitself:

Skip
04-06-2005, 11:44 AM
lol, why boo? i'm the only computer in my house with G-bit ethernet, so its not like i can transfer any faster if i'm the only one who can handle it? and IF there was a model that had all that stuff into one, then maybe i would get it. but i'm cleaning up a lot of clutter by getting this thing.