PDA

View Full Version : Got a miller air conditioner, any ideas?

Clintonthelegen
11-30-2002, 10:52 AM
I just got a big momma ac unit from a garage today. It was free if I hauled it:). I don't know what I should make with it. I am stuck between a chiller and direct die. I think I am leaning more towards the direct die though. I have the plate off of the side of the unit but don't know what I am looking for. It has a model number MR-36-C2 on it. I would like to get to work on this system as soon as possible but I want to make sure this thing is a good start. The compressor is 230v but I don't know what else to look for. Anyone wanna help me? The brand of the ac is Miller btw. It also says division of lear siegler on it.

Charles Wirth
11-30-2002, 02:12 PM
Find the link to the maker so we can get a better idea of what you got.

Clintonthelegen
11-30-2002, 04:44 PM
The thing was made in 1984 so I don't think I am gonna get much info online.

Clintonthelegen
11-30-2002, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah I was riding my quad down a back road today and saw what looks like a brand new fridge laying off in the woods. I am going to get in the truck tomorrow and pick it up. I stop and looked at the thing I swear its brand new. Hopefully with the fridge and ac I can get something going.

aenigma
11-30-2002, 10:11 PM
Fridge probably has a bad compressor.But it could just be electrical.What BTU is the A/C?

Clintonthelegen
12-01-2002, 03:06 PM
I don't know what BTU it is but I was told it is a 3 ton unit. If that means anything I don't know? I just got back from my little adventure getting that fridge/freezer. Hands are bleeding and frost bitten lol. I don't know what might be wrong with it yet but I know the hillbilly wire job isn't helping none ;-) I am gonna get rid of some of the electrical tape mess and see if it runs. What should I be checking for? BTW I think I know why they threw it away, there are just a couple little shot gun blasts in the door haha. I will post pics of this junk hopefully tomorrow. I am getting a new digi cam tonight.

aenigma
12-01-2002, 08:15 PM
It has probably been sitting there for awhile to have shotgun holes :)

That a/c is 36,000 btu
Nice :)

That refrigerator might have an electrical problem, hook up just the compressor and try it that way.

Clintonthelegen
12-01-2002, 08:39 PM
I bypassed all the crap and just ran the compressor for like a second. It works I guess. I am gonna leave the compressor sit right side up over night as I was told not to run one if its been on the side. Tomorrow I will run it some. So I assume 36,000 btu ain't bad? Haha sounds like a nice big number to me.

aenigma
12-01-2002, 08:56 PM
Yeah most window a/c units are about 5000btu, which is plenty for our purposes.
12,000btu is equal to 1HP, so you have about a 3HP compressor :)
You don't really have to leave the fridge sitting up all night.If it ran that is good.

Clintonthelegen
12-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Damn I wouldn't want to run that sucker 24/7 I bet it sucks some power.

aenigma
12-02-2002, 12:00 AM
Yeah but it would be ncie to setup for a temporary solution just for fun :)
If the compressor in the refrigerator works, then that would take much less electricity and be quieter.

Clintonthelegen
12-02-2002, 08:56 AM
I tried running the compressor today it purrs like a kitten. I know I am leaking coolant somewhere though I can smell it and hear it hissing. Seems to be coming out of the radiator like thing whatever you phase change guys call it. I bet when they dumped it off they kinked one of the tubes on it as it is on the underside of the fride with no guard or anything.

aenigma
12-02-2002, 05:05 PM
That is probably why they dumped it, no refrigerant.Your hearing air most likely, and probably smelling oil.The evaporator wasn't getting cold was it?

Clintonthelegen
12-02-2002, 05:15 PM
I don't know the copper lines are pretty cold to the touch. I need to rip this thing apart so I can see what the heck is up.

aenigma
12-02-2002, 10:25 PM
Did you see if the evaporator was cold?Cold enough to form alot of frost....