PDA

View Full Version : X800XT seems to be running hot

iboomalot
03-16-2005, 05:36 PM
X800XT seems to be running hot 66c is highest temp without shut down during gaming.

Just got X800XT back from RMA and still have stock cooler on it. played some games and computer kept rebooting.

is 65+ c hot for a ATI card???

think the card is shutting me down??

neokenzo
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Mine is about that too though my old card ran up to 95C and was idling at 55C. The stock cooler for the X800XT are crap and seem to get hotter and hotter all the time.

SLaY3r07
03-19-2005, 09:20 AM
My PE runs pretty hot as well, when I play games, I usually put the fan speed @ 100% w/ ATI Tool. Its pretty loud, but my 6 case fans drown it out.

Grov
03-23-2005, 09:57 AM
They all run hot. Don't worry about, the stock cooling is hardly brilliant.

Zedex
03-25-2005, 01:56 AM
My X800 XT runs around 70C max load, although it's overclocked a little. If you're worried about it but don't want to void any warranty, then just have fan blow onto it. You could get a fan bracket to do this, they seem to work pretty well.

T1Cybernetic
04-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Stick some better thermal paste on it and your temps will or
should drop just a tad and should be a little more acceptable, ;).

When i took the heatsink off my card i had a MONSTER blob on it
and it was all smeared around the edges so i whipped that straight
off and stuck some as5 on it because thats all i have at the moment.

It all "seems" ok and my temps dropped a few degrees so im happy
for now but i am on the lookout for a new cooler for it if anyone has
any recomendations then please let me know, :D pro's and cons etc.

By the way i am currently running 40'c idle on my graphics card which
aint bad really with stock cooling and some decent case cooling and
when i first tested it i was running around the 50'c idle mark, :shocked:.

"EDIT"
Forgot to add mines a MSI x800xt PE (AGP) - If that makes a difference.

cperry005
05-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Amd 64 3700
duel 160 GB sata HD's
1.5 gig pc 3200
x800 xt pe
DFI lanfarty NF3
plextor 716-sata dvd burner

My x800 xt pe was also getting into the 70c range during full load and slowly seemed to be rising! When I took the stock heat sink off it also had a blob that had melted all around the edges of gpu. not good! and definately the source of my problem.

After that, I realized the stock heat sink just does not cut it for this high performance card.

It came to pass.
After searching for a while I came across arctic cooling and there ati silencer 4. I needed something so I ordered one and waited for it to get here. After druling for a day or two, the arctic cooling heat sink arived.

It took me about half an hour to clean up my card and install the copper heat sink with some arctic silver 5 . It called for arctic 5 to the memory and gpu of the card.

Getting more than I had dreamed of this heat sink is a work of brilliance it has memory cooling for both sides of the card and gpu and it jets hot air out the back of a pci slot in my case.it is big but, very worth it if you want to keep your system from overheating.

x800 xt pe temps stock heat sink from ati: 50c idle 71c load
x800 xt pe temps with arctic coolings ati silencer 4: 36 idle 56 load!

as you guys can see thats 15c - 20c difference depending on the game im playing.

Only regret I have is that I didnt install the arctic cooling heat sink as soon as i got the card!

Now my mind can rest when I see my temps are way into the green area even when overclocked it operates soooooooooo cool. I would say this is a must! for any x800 card owner.

now my processor heat sink is next! :-)

Thewanderer