PDA

View Full Version : weapon single 120 core?

Weapon
03-15-2005, 05:50 AM
I have narrowed it down to a few cores that will take a single 120 but there is one question that is left open regarding the balance between size and performance...

single 120 cores come in a decent range of possible sizes. so, should a single 120 core be as small as possible or should it have as much surface area as possible while still being smaller than a dual 120 core?

for example, I have one single 120 core here that has the following dimensions:
core: 7-3/4" x 6" x 2"
overall: 9"(L)x6"(W)x2"(D)

compare that to the old standby chevette core:
core: 6" x 6-1/8" x 2"
overall: 7-1/2"(L)x6-1/8"(W)x2"(D)

by surface area alone, the 1st core, which is a bit larger, would have better overall performance but it obviously wouldn't fit in as small of a space as the chevette core. So, should a single 120 core shoot for smallest size or the most performance??

hmmm -- there are already a lot of tiny 120 cores on the market so a shroud designed to fit a chevette would likely fit a lot of the other single 120 cores. On the other hand, the larger core with the right shroud would be a step up performance-wise from the rest of the single 120 pack while still being small enough to fit somewhere in most cases...

MaxxxRacer
03-15-2005, 08:45 AM
I say go for the smaller... alot of cases dont have hte room for the larger one. the 6 by 6 and 1/8 is a good size.

cetoole
03-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Smaller gets my vote too, I would like to see something that can be installed in the 120mm fan holes that many cases have, and not need case modding to fit. Off topic, but did you ever get your Stacker, Weapon? How is the mounting for that going? I have my core installed and everything is good (none of my pics let you see the beautiful core :( ), but I still love it.

RObErT_RaTh
03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Smaller I say. And if you get round to making some how much would they be? :)

shadowing
03-15-2005, 08:33 PM
If you can be able to make it small, i'd buy it right off the bat. I can't get the bigger ones :(

It'd be great if the height was about 0'-8'. The width should be less then 8'. As for the length, I think it'd be great to be about, or less than 8'.

But then again, those are just suggestions.

EDIT: I think that performance while in a decent small package is the best way to go.

EnJoY
03-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Smaller. :toast:

MaxxxRacer
03-16-2005, 01:42 AM
well i think we are all decided on this one.. lol

shadowing
03-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Well, I agree with smaller. But can you post the temps. and etc?

I think that could really help us decide.

MaxxxRacer
03-16-2005, 09:00 AM
weapon doesnt have an accurate enough of a test bed to provide reliable numbers. This is not bash on weapon, just stating a fact. There are VERY few ppl who have such test setups. They inlucde JoeC and pH at pro cooling.. they are the only two that do reviews who have legit test setups with reliable numbers.

btw pretty soon I hope to be able to add myself to that list :D

b|gf|sh
03-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Smaller sounds better to me too.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26719

Think it'd be possible to fit a single 120 core on this rear fan? (looks too close to the side panel :rolleyes: )

Reflex1
03-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Think it'd be possible to fit a single 120 core on this rear fan? (looks too close to the side panel :rolleyes: )

maybe if you puit a fan between it ...otherwise you could put it on the outside of the case on the rear.

b|gf|sh
03-16-2005, 10:40 AM
maybe if you puit a fan between it ...otherwise you could put it on the outside of the case on the rear.

Suppose, didn't think of that ;)

Still, would rock to get it all inside the case (2 x single cores and t-line), nice and tidy compared to current setup :(

Weapon
03-16-2005, 03:52 PM
the smaller core it is -- and it is already a work in progress. :)

weapon doesnt have an accurate enough of a test bed to provide reliable numbers. This is not bash on weapon, just stating a fact. There are VERY few ppl who have such test setups. They inlucde JoeC and pH at pro cooling.. they are the only two that do reviews who have legit test setups with reliable numbers.

btw pretty soon I hope to be able to add myself to that list :D

I have a dual input, multi-thermocouple capable temp meter (0.1°C resolution) but it is currently under repair after a fluke accident (pun fully intended). Other equipment is on the way for the rest of the testbed but there are a few more minor this and that parts that I need to track down. lol - damn this stuff is expensive.

hmmm...the weapon testbed -- that has a nice ring to it. :D

shadowing
03-16-2005, 05:04 PM
lol How much do you think it'll cost Weapon?

MaxxxRacer
03-16-2005, 05:54 PM
lol i wasnt aware.. i remember your fluke accident.. which reminds me i need to ask my neighbor about the fluke.

btw weapon what do u use to measure core temp?