PDA

View Full Version : CPU Waterblock design question

Nubius
03-13-2005, 04:10 PM
I was just curious about the performance of the blocks that have 3 barbs inwhich everyone I've seen has a Y-splitter with tubs going to the 1st and 3rd barb, and then another hose (I assume the one removing the water?) coming from the middle? I believe it's the Dangerden RBX design?

Does this have an insane performance difference? Moreso meaning what seems like it'd be more beneficial, TDX, or RBX??

And now that I think about it...is the middle barb pumping IN the water to that block and the 2 hoses on the side are removing it, or is it the other way around?

HiJon89
03-13-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm guessing the middle barb is the inlet so the cool water goes directly to the center of the CPU where the core is, the RBX has shown a little performance increase over a TDX depending on your setup, definitely not a huge difference.

MaxxxRacer
03-13-2005, 06:04 PM
small difference. the presure drop is slightly less on the rbx and the peroformance per gpm is slightly higher..

Nubius
03-13-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm guessing the middle barb is the inlet so the cool water goes directly to the center of the CPU where the core is, Yeah I actually looked at the dangerden pic closer and could see the accelerator nozzle under the first barb.

So maxxx....out of the TDX or RBX.....which one would you go for based on this system:

Pump: MCP650
Heatercore: Weapon Core (302)
1/2" ID Tygon Tubing
MAZE4 GPU block (wont be until down the road, but still have to keep it in consideration)
Reservoir: I believe I will be making my own, so no specs on that at this time.

Are they just basically like 'ehh whatever you prefer?' and mostly personal opinion or what?

EDIT: Oh and also, your opinion on if another D4 added in the future in a series so like 'One D4 and TDX, or Two D4 and RBX, but one D4 and RBX would perform less than the TDX' or something along those lines :D

MaxxxRacer
03-13-2005, 09:02 PM
the TDX and RBX have almost exactly the same performance curves for flow and temp. jus the rbx's is slightly lower temp across the board.

if you dont mind hassling with 3 barbs then go RBX. if u do mind go with the TDX. not much performance diff.

Nubius
03-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Hmmm so then it's basically whether you want to screw with cutting tubing short enough to place a Y splitter where you want it and that kind of junk eh..

Well since this time around I plan on putting a good deal more effort and learning about the setups before just jumping into it, I figure I want to get the best stuff that I can afford. Unless you can think of a reason that the RBX design would just be a complete hassle then I think I may infact go for that over the DD TDX block.

I believe they all come with the #1 accelarator nozzle and since it's only $2.99 to get the others including a blank, I was wondering what the general concensus believes is the best...from what I hear isn't the #4 nozzle with 10% smaller supposed to be optimal?

For the blank one...how would the idea of putting a bunch of tiny holes in it be? any better than the other ones because aren't they just slits? or would thin lines perhaps be better....or I'm guessing it could be one of those 'try and let us all know' kind of deals :p:

EDIT: hmm...while reading a review about the RBX blocks they had a nice showing of the nozzles....I see #5 already has holes in it :p: So then...is it still pretty much agreed upon 4 is the best?

antipop
03-14-2005, 05:51 AM
I know that cathar first designed the WW with 3 barbs (1 inlet and 2 outlets) however after some tests he realised that the gain was mininal (less than 0.5°C), the original cascade had also barbs but he rapidly changed the design for only two barbs since it would be easier to make and didn't have an effect on the perf of the block

Psyche911
03-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Nubius, I believe #5 might perform slightly better, but it is more prone to clogging which is why people say go with #4. A very miniscule performance difference between the two nozzles. Just like the difference between the TDX and RBX. It's probably not worth the hassle.

Nubius
03-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Psyche - Yeah I actually read the same thing on one of the reviews. Thats exactly what the reviewer said. So I'm thinking...take the blank one..and make like...3 small slits in it..however to make them small enough might restrict the flow too much.

I plan on getting the brass top mainly because the lucite I know will crack over time simply from heat expansion and shrinking when it's powered off and gets cooled, but wouldn't you think that the brass might even aid in cooler temps? Nothing like...5C difference or anything, but after all...it is more metal that would be cooling the water and making contact with the copper to dissipate any heat from that, whereas lucite wouldn't soak up any of it.

I'm so torn between decisions now lol...I kind of want to go for the RBX design, but the TDX came afterwards, so you'd think it'd be an improvement, but from what I gathered it'd really not, but that's mainly in a low flow pump environment/loop.

Plus in the TDX, the channels have been rotated 90degrees so in the case of a longer CPU core, the channels no longer follow it like they do on the RBX which 'supposedly' lessen the chance of effective cooling.

Bah....that only real way to test would be to buy both and test but that aint happening :p:

antipop
03-14-2005, 01:47 PM
but after all...it is more metal that would be cooling the water and making contact with the copper to dissipate any heat from that, whereas lucite wouldn't soak up any of it.
I wouldn't count on that, the difference in temp between a lucite and a brass top wouldn't even be 0.5°C in the best case

Psyche911
03-14-2005, 04:59 PM
I say go with the TDX, but whatever works for you.

You need to re-join the two outlets on the RBX with a Y splitter or you lose 1/2 your flow rate. So even for an SLI setup, it would probably be better to have them in series than parallel after the CPU block. So I really think the RBX isn't worth it.

The TDX offers like over 99% of the performance of the RBX and they designed it to be much easier to use.

Nubius
03-14-2005, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't count on that, the difference in temp between a lucite and a brass top wouldn't even be 0.5°C in the best case lol yeah I wasn't talking more than .05C-1C difference, I'm just merely pointing out the fact, that 'technically' it'd be more beneficial.

You need to re-join the two outlets on the RBX with a Y splitter or you lose 1/2 your flow rate. So even for an SLI setup, it would probably be better to have them in series than parallel after the CPU block. So I really think the RBX isn't worth it. Don't have SLI and don't plan on ever getting it ;)

99% performance is a high assumption...from what I gathered, if you have a powerful pump such as one D4, the RBX will outperform the TDX...but you can't argue with the ease of use factor.

MaxxxRacer
03-14-2005, 07:32 PM
its not 99 percent. its more like 92-95... lol.