PDA

View Full Version : ***AN8 series boards***

chew*
03-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Whats the chance ABIT would give us 3.6 vddr and 1.8 vtt this is if it is possible with a bios update if not could you give us technical data on how to mod vddr and vtt safely. Obviously we would use these settings at our own risk and not expect warranty but it would be nice to have it seeing as how its such a nice board this is only thing missing needed to take back the overclock crown.

sincerely a fatality an8 owner

Psyche911
03-13-2005, 11:14 AM
I really like the idea of the AN8, and the Fatal1ty is possibly the best looking motherboard I've ever seen, but I wont be buying one in it's current state.

At this time, I'm looking at either the DFI or possibly waiting for ATi's chipset to hit the market. But if the AN8 was more capable when it comes to voltages I would almost certainly get one.

That's my two cents.

ukveld
03-14-2005, 02:56 AM
3.6vdimm would be awesome on this motherboard... then it would really rival the DFI. 2.8v is really not enough...

situman
03-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Great board, but the name Fatality is starting to annoy me. Nothing special that sets it apart. I've never heard or seen teh guy until Abit named some of their boards after him. I was hoping for a special board that can overclock like hell. Instead we got some corny, cheesy, gay name on a good board, not great, but good board. I can see why Oskar Wu and some engineers left, its so dull making boards that run limits overclocking. The last great overclocking board (IC7) will always be my favorite. Maybe if they cut down on the stupid name marketing, they can put some money into making the boards that are better than ECS.

rsGTS
03-15-2005, 04:59 PM
I am definately looking at this board for my next one, looking being the operative word, the 2.8 vdimm is way too low as I was wanting OCZ VX for my next RAM, please give me a higher voltage mod!! The DFI is looking good for being able to go high without modding the board, but I would prefer the Abit for looks and stability. Help us out Abit!!

tictac
03-16-2005, 03:55 AM
Will there be AN8 *tictac Edition*? :hehe:

HARDCORECLOCKER
03-16-2005, 04:00 AM
Will there be AN8 *tictac Edition*? :hehe:

:D It depends on You - I would love it but I think 3,6 Vdimm is not enough,

my BH-5 performs best with 3,9 so if there is an improvement possible just go straight for 4 volts like DFI.........

:toast:

gfa3
03-16-2005, 06:28 AM
I'd like AN8 Fatal1ty to be my next mobo as soon as it becomes available in Greece.My only complain is the low vdimm which could easily be at least 3.2v for a descend performance.
Think about high rated ram (ocz) that needs 2.9v to work within its specifications and i have to work with 2.8v.Can i expect the performance those dimms are made for or i invested money for them for no reason?I think Abit should consider about this a lot and offer us a solution.

situman
03-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Abit hasn't listened to us since the IC7 days and even then we got a non functioning 3.2vdimm.

HARDCORECLOCKER
03-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Abit hasn't listened to us since the IC7 days and even then we got a non functioning 3.2vdimm.

:D So the conclusion is that we also do not listen to ABIT - may all their boards gamble at stock then........ :toast:

situman
03-16-2005, 10:55 AM
word. i'll take the risk with DFI and then get ATI if it turns out to be better. O crap just remembered, gotta wait for the G5 to arrive from Cathar before I redo my watercooling loop. I guess when the time comes, it will be between ATI and DFI.

calcal
03-16-2005, 09:57 PM
how much vdimm is on the dfi boards?

Sentential
03-16-2005, 10:15 PM
how much vdimm is on the dfi boards?
4.0v depending on bios :toast:

calcal
03-17-2005, 09:19 AM
can all ram withstand that voltage?

chew*
03-17-2005, 12:39 PM
No but bh5/6 chips can run 24/7 at 3.3v

jjcom
03-18-2005, 01:51 PM
yeah, Winbond UTT chips is pretty much all that love volts.

Another question, are their still Abit reps on the site? Abit Marketing hasn't posted in a long time, just wondered if another rep was hanging around

jjcom

HARDCORECLOCKER
03-18-2005, 01:53 PM
yeah, Winbond UTT chips is pretty much all that love volts.

Another question, are their still Abit reps on the site? Abit Marketing hasn't posted in a long time, just wondered if another rep was hanging around

jjcom

:D Yeah - where are they ? Now when everyone grabs for a DFI I think a bit more action from the ABIT reps is needed........ :toast:

agenda2005
03-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Inasmuch as I want that AN8 board badly, but that 2.8V Vdimm didn't cut it. I will also wait and see what ATI Bullhead will do. So far, I have DFI, ATI on my short list, except if Abit can just give something like 3.6V Vdimm, then I'll jump all over it with no question ask. It's unfortunate though that the board have limited Vdimm options.

calcal
03-18-2005, 02:41 PM
their board can overclock pretty darn good, i saw it up at 350htt

chew*
03-18-2005, 07:37 PM
their board can overclock pretty darn good, i saw it up at 350htt

yep and ive had it to 385 htt stable however i have bh5 and I did not want to buy new memory as i am more than happy with my bh5 however i cant run at ddr500 with it with 2.8v so I had to order some tccd for the meantime till A. abit gets with program or B. i have the guts to do the volt mod.

tictac
03-18-2005, 08:31 PM
i just email them with higher Voltage request.. :)
Waiting for reply now... :hehe: (hopefully)

chew*
03-18-2005, 09:25 PM
i just email them with higher Voltage request.. :)
Waiting for reply now... :hehe: (hopefully)

hope you have better luck i emailed them 4 days ago no reply except this yet.

Dear ABIT customer,

Many thanks for mailing us and the mail had been under processing now.

We will answer back ASAP and if possible, please email us with identifiable title as below.

calcal
03-18-2005, 10:03 PM
their an8 board would be such a KILLER with more volt.....

skate2snow
03-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Normally when I email Abit I have an answer in about 6-8 buisness days...

HARDCORECLOCKER
03-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Normally when I email Abit I have an answer in about 6-8 buisness days...

:D Oh THX god - I was just about thinking they also have fired their last employee....... :p:

thebluesgnr
03-19-2005, 03:09 PM
The AX8 has 3.2V http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1545591&enterthread=y

If the AN8 used the Ultra chipset and had at least 3.2V it would be a killer. Other than these 2 issues I like it better than the DFI.

dexx
03-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Its a joke how Abit claim to be catering to the enthusiast. We've been asking them to provide high Vdimm for years and they rarely do it.

chew*
03-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Its a joke how Abit claim to be catering to the enthusiast. We've been asking them to provide high Vdimm for years and they rarely do it.

Well they may be doing it....... I recieved a reply from abit however as for the current fatality an8 or regular an8 its not possible after talking live with a abit tech after i recieved an email the volt mod is very possible and will work however the chip they used to control the vdd will not survive long with 1.8 vtt. Look to the near future for a fatality an8 sli and an an8 ultra as i have confirmed with abit that they have indeed given better voltage options concerning memory.

HARDCORECLOCKER
03-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Well they may be doing it....... I recieved a reply from abit however as for the current fatality an8 or regular an8 its not possible after talking live with a abit tech after i recieved an email the volt mod is very possible and will work however the chip they used to control the vdd will not survive long with 1.8 vtt. Look to the near future for a fatality an8 sli and an an8 ultra as i have confirmed with abit that they have indeed given better voltage options concerning memory.

:D THX chew, just wanted to post the information from Your other thread here - You've been faster.....

situman
03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Wondering if thats the reason for their delayed SLI board and ultra boards.

thebluesgnr
03-22-2005, 05:09 AM
That's great news on the AN8 Ultra! Hope it's not overpriced like the vanilla AN8, that would be the only thing to keep me from buying it.

Badge56
03-22-2005, 07:02 PM
I have been a Abit guy for a long time now but now I am wondering if I should change. I use a AV8 and it works fine but can't get more than 2500mhz out of my 3200+ when other get 2700 with MSI and DFIs.... Just wondering if I should switch to NF4 board but should it be a Abit? That Fatality is of no use to me I use water...!!

chew*
03-24-2005, 09:39 PM
I will however state this I WILL NOT BUY the an8 ultra unless it has at least 3.4 vdimm and 1.7 vtt. My mushkin hits ddr 500 error free at 3.2v but varies on some boards so i need a little headroom and if abit wants my business my bh-5 better hit ddr 500 or i will keep my DFI UT 250gb.

Qkjhfhaiguihfma
03-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I am also upset with "fatility". If he wasnt such a greedy man, he would say, "sure, put my name on it, BUT I want...."

He had a chance to make great boards by getting all the things we want, but he took the money and ran I guess?

chew*
03-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I am also upset with "fatility". If he wasnt such a greedy man, he would say, "sure, put my name on it, BUT I want...."

He had a chance to make great boards by getting all the things we want, but he took the money and ran I guess?

First off I'm goona point out that this thread is about voltages not abits choice of advertising. Feel free to flame theyre advertising in another thread. Also as far as fatality goes he is a gamer and i highly doubt he knows much about overclocking. As far as gaming goes the board is awsome. Now if it was A OPP AN8 or Macci AN8 or Fugger AN8 then I would flame them for theyre advertisement however its not nor did abit ever claim it to be the best "NForce 4" Overclockers board.

vozbidder
04-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Anybody have the newest BIOS for AN8, or moded BIOS ???

I really want it now !! :( my bios is a BANANA

Lpease send to me at : soixam_102@yahoo.com thanks to much :toast:

tictac
04-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Why do you need Modded bios? Gimme 5 reason :)

chew*
04-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Why do you need Modded bios? Gimme 5 reason :)

1. Temps are highly inaacurate.

2. has a cold boot issue above 230

3. I need 2.9v to run my F1 LA 440 chips at 2.5-3-3-6

4.maxtor 250 gb drives dont workj but 300gb will

5.you know you want to prove abit wrong :P

6. If you mod biosi will have no need for my lanparty UT 250GB anymore if i have vdimm and vtt on abit so i will upgrade you to this board if you do it :) ( best reason of all if you ask me )

vozbidder
04-02-2005, 07:48 PM
7th reason : can not save Profile to BIOS, it not work
8th: I need Vdmm 3.0V to run my Corsair TCCD ver4.1 better

tictac
04-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Sorry to say that i cannot help on that Voltage issue...
its up to ABIT again...

keep on requesting to :shoot: ... ABIT
hope they fullfill your request :yawn2:

chew*
04-03-2005, 06:59 AM
Sorry to say that i cannot help on that Voltage issue...
its up to ABIT again...

keep on requesting to :shoot: ... ABIT
hope they fullfill your request :yawn2:

Already did and theyre reply was....

Dear ABIT user,

Thank you for choosing ABIT prodcut.

The memory controller is integrated in the CPU of AMD K8, so raising the DDR voltage may damage not only the RAM module, the motherboard
but may also damage the CPU itself. That is the reason why we did not make the DDR voltage higher then the spec.

As for the CPU temperature, we will check if it will be innacurate after several boots

chew*
06-20-2005, 05:43 PM
well they gave us what we wanted and i must say the board roxxors

lowdog
06-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Man what the hell is up with bios15. :slapass:

Seems as though it's screwed the pci x 16 lanes for my sli. No 3D game or app will initialize, it just bsod's.

If I run dxdiagnostics to check 3D it just black screens the comp and hangs, have to do a hard reboot only to be greeted by an error mesage about my system having recovered from a serious problem.

Back to bios 13 which works fine.

lowdog
06-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Update:

Setting the sli switchboard to single card and running with 1 grafix card now works with bios15 in 3D games and benchmarks. But it won't work with dual cards in sli. So bios 15 definately broke sli functionality on the fatality AN8-SLI.

Hope Abit fix this. :stick: