PDA

View Full Version : -110F Liquid Cooling?

charlie
11-29-2002, 12:43 AM
What would happen if you pumped -110F coolant liquid (alchohol) through a waterblock? Would it ice up like freakin crazy? The alchohol'd be way dangerous right? Do normal pumps function at
-110F (-80C) ??
I assume you'd have to do pelt-like mobo/system/condensation mods, right?
C

Tweaked!
11-29-2002, 04:44 AM
Not sure how much luck you're going to have in this forum with this question, so I'm moving you to Liquid cooling. Hopefully you'll have better luck with this there:)

KnightElite
11-29-2002, 08:26 AM
I'm not entirely sure about pumps and so on. Most plastic parts would probably become brittle at those temperatures.

You would definitely need to condensation proof everything: tubing, block, motherboard....

charlie
11-29-2002, 12:09 PM
Guys,
OK so the block, hoses and all will be covered in neoprene, the socket will be greased and surrounded by neoprene, the back of mobo and vidcard will be covered in urethane or neoprene, right?
Now from your experience if -80C liquid is pumped in, how cool will it keep the blocks? We're almost talking liquid cooling with LN2 here...just a bit different
C

Charles Wirth
11-29-2002, 01:24 PM
Anti freeze will sludge up at a much lower temp than -80c as I have froze it solid before.

You would need to pump floriant thru the lines.

I left my second evap on last night and froze my bucket solid (http://fugger.netfirms.com/frozen.jpg) @ approx 80% antifreeze. I used a heat gun to get it out but you can see frozen green antifreeze.

charlie
11-29-2002, 03:55 PM
Well I was just curious because I was thinking:
1) Take 5 gal Gott (Rubbermaid) insulated dispenser. Add 1/2 inch fittingstop and bottom.
2) Fill with about 3 gallons of alcohol, the real stuff.
Add about 10# pelleted dry ice...voila you have -80C liquid.
3) Mount a pump externally, along with a radiator and fans (so you can water cool ambiently when you're out of dry ice) with bypass valves.
4) Install Swifty cpu and gpu waterblocks. Insulate like crazy.
5) Of couse you will have to research pumps and tubing for -80C usage, probably tygon. Maybe special alcohol pump too.
OR idea #2
Probably very common here!
1) take same 5 gallon Gott
2) take 25' soft copper tubing1/2" coil into cooler with faom spacers between coils. Make fittings in cooler wall.
3) Fill cooler with 3 gallons water and 10# dry ice, which will solidify water into solid block.
4) run as a normal closed loop watercooling system with antifreeze/water in lines. Probably much less efficient than making sub-zero alcohol bath though! But certainly less flammable!!!!!