PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up soldering resin

kristos
03-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey,

I got a little bit of a problem:

My MSI Neo2 Platinum died on me a few days ago, I didn't even touch it, it just wouldn't boot anymore...

Problem is, I bought the board second hand and it already had two caps solder on there where there originally aren't any.

I desoldered those, but some resin was left behind and it shows in yellowish brown collor.

How do I best remove this? how do I make that spot look "clean" (as in: unmodded, untouched :)).

thx, kristos

CaTalyst.X
03-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Eh if ur gonna try and rma it, dont worry about it, they dont look at the boards that closely, if u still want to get it off use some kind of mild acid such as vinegar, or you could pop into lowes and get that corrosion cleaner for electronices. Radio shack might have it too

-CaT

persivore
03-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Isopropyl alcohol removes flux/resin well.

kristos
03-13-2005, 06:24 PM
ok thx guys, it worked pretty well :)

and it's indeed for RMA'ing but here in Belgium, stores sometimes do take a closer look... what they wouldn't do to avoid shipping costs :rolleyes:

Holst
03-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Eh if ur gonna try and rma it, dont worry about it, they dont look at the boards that closely, if u still want to get it off use some kind of mild acid such as vinegar, or you could pop into lowes and get that corrosion cleaner for electronices. Radio shack might have it too

-CaT

When i was dealing with RMA I would notice EVERY modded board that arrived.
Especially when i helped work out most of the mods.
hehe.

Isoprop alchohol will work to remove flux, but its easyer to just get it off with soldering iron.