PDA

View Full Version : Best liquid, where to get it, and should I bother insulating soket?

afireinside
03-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Whats the best liquid to use with DIce and where do I get it? Denatured alcohol or is there better? And should I even bother to insulate around the socket area and the baseplate of the tube or no?

twilius_basic
03-09-2005, 03:23 PM
I haven't tried DI myself (yet), but from what I've gathered Acetone seems to work very well.... I've also heard Ethanol does too, but I don't have a place to get that. Acetone you can get at any hardware/painting store.

About insulation, I think it is good to do that around socket area if possible, but I don't know if it makes a huge difference.

afireinside
03-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks!

And speaking of insulation, where do you get large neoprene sheets?

JSU
03-09-2005, 04:39 PM
johnstone supply sells them. isnt ehanol drinking alcohaul?

afireinside
03-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Dont you need a bussiness to order from them?

bh2k
03-09-2005, 06:37 PM
No, not usually although most want you to have certs to buy stuff. High grade ethanol is the best to use if you can find it. I heard the beverage "everclear" is just as good.

Kunaak
03-13-2005, 01:19 AM
everclear works fine, but high grade acetone is better, the kind you get in metal cans in the paint section of a hardware store for stripping oil paint.

never tried ethenol myself, unless it was one of the various alcohols I tried...

if you need cheap insulation, just cut a old mouse pad, that does the job just fine for DI.