PDA

View Full Version : Whats your temps?

STEvil
03-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I know they are "useless" but what temps do you get? Just want to compare to my aircooled setup for fun and compare between results listed... maybe we can throw together a bit of a DB too.

XP-M 2500+ @ 11.5x225.4 2.03v (2592mhz) on nF7.
SLK-900U + inverted ducted 50cfm 80mm
3x 120mm Delta EHE fans @ 5v on case (still as noisy as 50cfm 80mm).
Room Temp: 22c
D2OL Load: 49c
S&M Load: 59c

For you water cooled guys list:

Processor/overclock/volts
Loop (pump-block-block-block-rad-res..)
approximate tubing length
tubing inner diameter
res volume
rad dimensions (1x120/2x120/+2" thick)
approximate rad CFM and mount location.
ROOM TEMP (do not use case temp probe!) OR
Rad air inlet temp.
Idle temp(s)
Load temp(s)
water inlet/outlet temps at rad/blocks(?)

MaxxxRacer
03-06-2005, 12:20 PM
stevil, there is already a temp comparison thread that is stickied... pls post ur results there.

STEvil
03-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Woops, missed it lol.

they arent as detailed as I want and dont focus directly on watercooling though..

MaxxxRacer
03-06-2005, 12:59 PM
lol.. well as you noted temps dont mean jack anyway.

so its a rather futile endeavour anyway.

RObErT_RaTh
03-06-2005, 03:48 PM
And why would temps not matter? I thought that is the hole point of watercooling for when you overclock. You need to keep it cooler to perform better. How does temps not matter?

Craig
03-06-2005, 05:05 PM
And why would temps not matter? I thought that is the hole point of watercooling for when you overclock. You need to keep it cooler to perform better. How does temps not matter?

What Maxxx means is that the on die or socket diodes are not very accurate, and by that I mean 10c swings in temps......without the temp actually changing.

So reported system temps are meaningless. It's just pointless to try and compare them as if one boards sensor can change that much how can you hope to compare two differant boards temps.

MaxxxRacer
03-06-2005, 05:30 PM
exactly...

need to lock this thread....

STEvil
03-06-2005, 06:15 PM
so I can make another one asking exact same question and get the info I requested?

MaxxxRacer
03-06-2005, 07:30 PM
well dont take this personally but this thread really doesnt belong here.

not to mention its a rather fruitless thread as you are trying to measure air cooling and water coooling temp differneces and that is impossible on two seperate rigs, and dificult to do on your own rig.

lalPOOO
03-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I think hes hoping someone with the same board as him will speak up, and he can get an idea of the possible temperature difference. No real need to lock the thread imo.

Psyche911
03-06-2005, 10:02 PM
On the topic of inaccurate temps...
Just yesterday I touched the nothbridge heatsink on my P4C800-E. Now, keeping in mind that ASUS Probe has NEVER, not ONCE displayed even 30 degrees Celsius for it, I was surprised to find it uncomfortable to the touch. It was that hot. I would think at least mid 30s.

So I plugged my side intake back in, adding some noise to my system as I don't have it hooked up to the fan controller right now and what happens? Temps rise from 27 to 29 for the northbridge, yet it now feels almost cool to the touch after having that fan aimed at it.

These temp measurements really are useless. :\

STEvil
03-07-2005, 12:32 AM
lalpooo - that'd be nice, but that isnt the point.

maybe what I should have asked for was idle and load temps, because even though the temp sensors are useless a lot of the time they are at least correct in temperature rise... usually (unless you have a P4C800-E like Psyche911 I guess heh).

So.. i'll edit the post, then I can take the data and see if anything comes out of it...

RObErT_RaTh
03-07-2005, 02:24 AM
What Maxxx means is that the on die or socket diodes are not very accurate, and by that I mean 10c swings in temps......without the temp actually changing.

So reported system temps are meaningless. It's just pointless to try and compare them as if one boards sensor can change that much how can you hope to compare two differant boards temps.

Alright, I got ya now :)

Butcher_
03-08-2005, 11:19 PM
lalpooo - that'd be nice, but that isnt the point.

maybe what I should have asked for was idle and load temps, because even though the temp sensors are useless a lot of the time they are at least correct in temperature rise... usually (unless you have a P4C800-E like Psyche911 I guess heh).

So.. i'll edit the post, then I can take the data and see if anything comes out of it...
They mostly aren't correct even on temp rise, many board sensors are distinctly non-linear in fact, you have to remember they're set up to show what the board manufacturer wants to show, not the actual temp.

Also Psyche - mid 30s celcius is not very uncomfortable, if you can't touch it for long you're looking at 45-50C probably.

Psyche911
03-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, Butcher. It wasn't that I couldn't touch it for long, but it was just almost to the point of causing slight discomfort, not quite. So maybe around 40 or so.

Hotter than the outside of the heatpipes on the Freezer 4 I have installed on the CPU, that's for sure.