PDA

View Full Version : Dual Power Supply?

JAWS
03-23-2002, 03:38 PM
I took out my Antec p/s because it was getting ready to die. :( I put in an Enermax 350 and then hooked up an additional p/s. My question is: what should I run on my second p/s?

Currently on main p/s: mobo and HD

2nd p/s: floppy, cd-rw, cpu cooler, and all case fans

Is this right?

JBELL
03-23-2002, 04:19 PM
I would run ONLY mobo on one psu and everything else off the other....

Smizack
03-23-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by JBell

That's what I did. I have 3 fans running off the mobo also, so it evens out pretty well I think.

JBELL
03-23-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Smizack

That's what I did. I have 3 fans running off the mobo also, so it evens out pretty well I think.

2 fans - CPU and IGP only

Smizack
03-23-2002, 06:21 PM

2 fans - CPU and IGP only

I have an 80mm Delta runing off mine also.

JBELL
03-23-2002, 06:30 PM

I have an 80mm Delta runing off mine also.

The IGP would be what you non-nforce people like to call ''northbridge'' although it acts as MORE than just a bridge.

- I need to find a way to remove the fan so I can drop a bigger one on it.

JAWS
03-23-2002, 06:58 PM

Even if the 2nd p/s is only a 250?

This has made my system so much more stable. Now I can get the fsb over 150 again and only a vcore of 2.0 (instead of 2.1)

JAWS
03-23-2002, 06:59 PM

Smizach, do you have a power cord running to the 2nd p/s?

Smizack
03-23-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by JAWS

Smizach, do you have a power cord running to the 2nd p/s?

Yeah, it sits on the bottom of my case. And it uses a pci slot to reach the outside world.

Can't wait to get the new rig up...

Smizack
03-23-2002, 07:07 PM

The IGP would be what you non-nforce people like to call ''northbridge'' although it acts as MORE than just a bridge.

- I need to find a way to remove the fan so I can drop a bigger one on it.

SOLDER IRON TIME!

JAWS
03-23-2002, 07:41 PM

Yeah, it sits on the bottom of my case. And it uses a pci slot to reach the outside world.

Can't wait to get the new rig up...

Did you splice any wires on both p/s and connect them? I think I did it wrong.
Thanks for the help.

JBELL
03-23-2002, 07:43 PM

Did you splice any wires on both p/s and connect them? I think I did it wrong.
Thanks for the help.

trying to create a 7V rail?

JAWS
03-23-2002, 07:48 PM

trying to create a 7V rail?

What is that?

I spliced the two green PS_ON and the two black grounds and hooked them together. If the 2nd p/s is running, that means I'm getting juice out of it, right?

JBELL
03-23-2002, 07:51 PM

What is that?

I spliced the two green PS_ON and the two black grounds and hooked them together. If the 2nd p/s is running, that means I'm getting juice out of it, right?

first combining 2 psu's as one - bad idea...

a 7V rail is ideal for DELTA fans - you cross the 12V and 5V rails together and it creates the 7V - makes the delta fans run quieter

JAWS
03-23-2002, 07:57 PM

first combining 2 psu's as one - bad idea...

a 7V rail is ideal for DELTA fans - you cross the 12V and 5V rails together and it creates the 7V - makes the delta fans run quieter

Okay I remember that! :p

I just needed something else to take some stress off the main one. With the Antec the 5v was dropping around 4.74 (idle) :( and making my system unstable.

JBELL
03-23-2002, 07:58 PM

Okay I remember that! :p

I just needed something else to take some stress off the main one. With the Antec the 5v was dropping around 4.74 (idle) :( and making my system unstable.

sounds like you just overloaded it - now take you rPSU's and separate them - run mobo on one and all other stuff on the other...

JAWS
03-23-2002, 08:01 PM

sounds like you just overloaded it - now take you rPSU's and separate them - run mobo on one and all other stuff on the other...

Can I run the 2nd without it being connected with the main? Thanks for the help!

JBELL
03-23-2002, 08:16 PM

Can I run the 2nd without it being connected with the main? Thanks for the help!

as long as each psu is plugged into its own outlet...

Smizack
03-23-2002, 09:37 PM

Yeah, all you have to do is cross the atx (Or whatever it's called) wire, I think it's green, I'll have to check. and the power. and it will kick on the second when the first turns on.