PDA

View Full Version : ATI AIW Video Capture w/ Windows Server 2003

EyeOfThierry
03-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I use to have the AIW RADEON AGP 4x card in an old machine 2000 server. It
performed video capture well.

I recently custom built a new machine using Asus pc-dl dual zeon and
installed 2003 standard server (and converted it to work as a workstation, so I've enabled all Direct X features)

I installed the following ATI software/drivers on the machine.

1. wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-062-040929a-018115C.exe
2. mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe
3. mmc-9-02-0-0.exe

When I check the Device Manager, all drivers are installed and WORKING (all
report operating correctly). I get the display drivers working great!!!

But when I try to start VIDEO capture from my video camera.. hooked into the card using the original Plug attachment, I can't seem to get anything.

When I start the TV capture, it tells me "TV player failed to initialize the
video".

When I ran the ATI Center Config TEST, EVERYTHING PASSES. Capture driver installation passes!

If I look at TV Capture Source, it reads:
"ATI Rage Theater Video Capture"

Every thing looks fine, and SHOULD WORK! (don't you luv that!)

This is how I got everything working on 2000 server.

I did check for terminal services. Since that was a problem in 2000 server.
I had thought that may have been the problem here. But Terminal Services
has not been installed. This is checked through the Add/Remove Windows
program feature. Although, I did check SERVICES, and it seems there are 2
entries. Terminal Services, and Terminal Services Session Directory. I found
this odd, since IT IS NOT INSTALLED ON THE SYSTEM according to the
Add/Remove dialog. Maybe this is something about 2003 server though. Both have startup type as Disabled, but the former has a status of 'Started'.
Stopping that one makes no difference to the Capture unfortunately.

I am very much at a loss. Please Help. I need to use Server 2003 for
development, and would like to do video capture, since this new computer is
a very fast machine and it was my original intention to do both!

What else can I do? And if that linguring terminal services I mention above
is the problem, how can I remove it, since it's already disabled, and
already 'uninstalled' according to the system.

This is a BRAND NEW install so there shouldn't be strange software other
than that supplied by ASUS.

I've even removed other Server installs to make this a bare bone install .. but nothing helps.

Thanks,
Thierry

P.S.
For those of you interested in converting your Windows 2003 server to act more like a workstation...

check out this great HowTo guide: Windows 2003 server to Workstation Guide (http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/)

EyeOfThierry
03-07-2005, 01:57 PM
ATI says that video capture doesn't work on Windows 2003 server. Ain't that just plain "merde"... Now why is that.. isn't this the core for microsofts future OS...

Any one know of 3rd parties ... or figure this issue out themselves... on how to get this working?

EyeOfThierry
03-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Glad I'm able to help myself out with all this ;)

OK.. for those of you that have followed this thread... or those in the future who may... I have found that the drivers supplied by ATI to perform capture are sufficient to get it running on this platform. But, ATI's multimedia suite of products don't work properly on windows 2003 server (at this point in time, and really only the TV Capture from what I needed to bother with). But, I installed the NERO suite of products, and video capture came up and operational without any troubles...

So I uninstalled ATI's "piece de merde"... and am using NERO Reloaded Suite (NeroVision) version 6.6. Now my headache is no More! :bananal:

Hope this thread saves someone else sometime...

-t-

EyeOfThierry
03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi,

Like you I have been trying to get an ATI AIW card working with 2003 Server. In my case it is an x600 card with 2003 Advanced Server. I found a posting on Driver Heaven by a guy that says it got this working (http://www.driverheaven.net/archive/index.php/t-55760.html) using Omega’s 4.7 Catalysts along with MMC 8.7 and the latest ATI DAO. I have not had a chance to try this yet. I did wonder if you go it working under 2000 Server and upgraded to 2003 Server would that break it. This is something that I have not had the chance to test yet. I was hoping to come up with a list of folks that are trying to accomplish this and see if as a group we can come up with a solution.

ATI's response back to me was:

All drivers for Windows Server 2003 are maintained and deployed by Microsoft. This operating system currently provides drivers for RAGE XL products only.

While Windows Server 2003 display drivers are not available from ATI directly, you may obtain updates through Windows Update, or other deployment option from Microsoft.

Windows Server 2003 is positioned as a business and corporate enterprise server Operating System. It is not intended for home or personal use.

Please refer to Microsoft's website for detailed information.
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/default.mspx)

MMC is not compatible with Windows 2003 server.

Thanks,
Jay

Hey Jay,

I totally know how you mean!! I got all the same responses from ATI and Microsoft... it's really upsetting when you try to set up a system on a more 'advanced' os (or at the very least same maker) and find things that worked before broken.

Yes, I had gotten it working on 2000 server fine. I think the secret of installing it on that server is to make SURE you have Terminal Services completely UNINSTALLED. Once I did that, the capture worked, with the drivers recommended by ATI.

As far as upgrading from 2000 server to 2003, I didn't. I created a new system from scratch. I would imagine though, an upgrade to 2003 would 'break' the capture.

At this moment in time, I have capture 'working'... but it isn't satisfactory! I only got it working using NERO Reloaded's Nero Vision software. The TV preview is perfect, but as soon as you click on the RECORD button, the image on the preview turns blurry and so does the recording! Completely baffles me. ATI Mulitmedia software (mmc-9-02-0-0.exe) is completely useless.

This is what I currently have installed:
1. wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-062-040929a-018115C.exe
2. mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe

I also have not been able to get Adobe Premiere to work. Nero is the only one that barely seems to work.

My latest idea was simply to wait for ATI to put something out.. or hear from a 3rd source for drivers that may work. I'll try you suggestion above!

Good Luck to all!!!
-t-

EyeOfThierry
03-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Hey Thanks again Jay,

I uninstalled all the ATI drivers and installed
Radeon Omega Drivers 2.6.05a (Catalyst 5.1)
on my 2003 server.

Guess what! Everything works! No more blurry Video!!! Capture is perfect!
I haven't done a complete check of my system for possible video problems but this was the main problem before!

:rehab:

How sweet it is!!!

EyeOfThierry
04-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey Eye,

I could use some assistance getting my AIW Radeon Card working in Server 2003.

After I use the Omega or ATI drivers, I get 6 Unknown devices in my device manager. I dont know what to do I cant get them to load drivers. Also Im HIGHLY douting that everything on the card is working.

Thanks,

Mike :confused:

Hey Mike,

I've had a very hard time of it for sure. I've finally rested at the 4.7 CAt version of Omega.

To the most part everything is working. That is, the drivers have loaded, I'm able to capture images, and they are now clear. I find here and there stuff not working exactly right, and I'm not quite sure if it is because of the drivers or the OS. That is, Nero's suite of products works for capture, but not Adobe premiere. I've tried using the Composite Video for MSN IM, but doesn't exactly work properly either (You can set the IM to use the Composite Video in the wizard, setup works, but when you get to starting it in the IM, it fails to be recognized), but my standard Logitech WebCam works fine.

It has been a very big headache...

But, you may not experience those problems if you use other pieces of software.

Oh so to answer your question, I believe you are getting those problems because you have not installed the drivers in the correct order. But, those driver problems you are getting I've only experienced when using ATI's drivers directly. If you look in their instructions on how to load their drivers, they'll tell you, you need to install the drivers in a particular order. Otherwise you'll get the problem you are getting... You'll need to take another look at those instructions. I don't think it's an issue with the Omega drivers.

Good Luck,
Thierry

PacketHost
04-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Im not sure what you mean by following the instructions?

I followed the on-screen setup installer, if thats what you mean? All the drivers installed in the default loactions, as did the programs.

I am sorry, I just dont understand what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Mike :stick: